Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Officially Autumn- fall garden chores

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 201, Views: 1,514
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9283021

Autumnal Equinox today. What fall garden chores will you do/ want advice on/ are you avoiding/ wish some good fairy would come do for you? etc
Picture of Chrysanthemeum from sample pics sorry! Mine are just in tight bud.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9283029

Save all those fall leaves- and watch for my article about good soil fungus that eats them.I think this is one of Gita's secrets to beautiful flowers, and she may not even have known it directly. She saves fall leaves and lets them rot in bags, then uses them around plants. Very good!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9283056

I'll need to see about when to let Caladiums dry out- ? are they getting feeble due to short day length, running out of fertility? SHould I withhold water, and if so when?

I just read that my Plumeria is starting to yellow a bit due to day length signals. And- I think I have some tiny buds - Hallelujah! But then I'll have to think about digging up that and Brug monsters -agh!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9283126

Mine will mostly be clean-up shortly pots into storage barrels ,getting plants mulched and the mulch to where it is put.
Then if time and weather allows cutting back non-winter interest stems in and around the flower gardens.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9283273

Ooooh, I don't even know where to start. In addition to the annual clean-up, winterizing bulbs and plants, and mulching, the lawn needs a major overhaul. I also need to redo about 80% of the garden by dividing and transplanting. Also need more top soil :-(

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9283277

sallyg ; since it is the weekend, this bud's just for you, and after a few more i would probably ask if there is more room in that fridge you have.
2or 3 pots of these.I think that's enough only now I have more to plant for next year, And then I can do this all over again,fun, fun, fun.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9283345

Yesterday and the day before--I actually tackled and finished a most avoided, procrastinated
job of all. But the weather was cool and I had 2 days to kill. So I almost "killed" myself
with this chore...
Cleaning out my shed--everything out on the lawn, cleaned and swept and all pots sorted and stacked by sizes.
Thursday I worked at this 8 hours straight, sustained by 2 pain pills. Friday I worked 7 1/2 hrs straight...
Had to get it all done!
Glad this HUGE job is finally done...

Right now--I am not thinking of the next one--but I know what it has to be---
I have to treat EVERY single pot that is to come inside with Systemic Granules
so that I do not bring any critters into the house. Been lucky so far...

Another "must do" is to take Coleus cuttings to root. Nights are getting mighty cool--
and Coleus do not like cool all that much.

1--Now--to prove how pack-ratty I am with pots--look here...
2--This is some of the other stuff that was removed...the stuff on the shelves
on both sides inside the shed--was still in there. Still 100's of pots!
3--These were all the clay pots that were inside the shed...Thinking I will put them in my basement--
but maybe I will put them back in the shed. After I organized everything--I gained some open spaces..
4--Pots--all nice and neat...

Believe me--there was a lot more done than just stacking pots--lots more!

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9283371

wow juhur, must be some patch of J chokes!

Gita, so tidy now! Kudos!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 22, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9283491

I have to big old time garbage cans I throw all my pots into, darn right I'm quick and lazy.However the fall cleaning the garage is yet to come!I might have a week or two for that , only not to dread and not to look forward to,glad the garage is there and not happy to clean it either.
I just hope it is not too cold this winter and not as hot next summer,last winter wasn't bad here, mostly rain, only wow was this a summer! Made it hard to get much done in the day, and night for some of us that don't see as well, or have animals around is rather out.
We have frost tonight and tomorrow night so our warm season in the garden has come to an end.Little early for that only not unusual.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012
11:10 PM

Post #9283605

Frost! Perish the thought! I am wondering where the h-e double toothpicks all these plants will go in my house !! It becomes sort of like picking a team. First round picks are assured spots in the best windows, then second round picks come in but have to eke it out in the basement maybe.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9283782

I'm thinking I need to head back to the townhouse to dig up my plants that I want to keep and clean up the annuals. Still not sure if I want to do it today or keep putting it off. If good things come to those who wait, why is procrasination bad?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9283994

Oh, heehehe, I hear you loud and clear on that catbird. I just am having a hard time doing it.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9284580

Gita, cleaning out your shed sounds quite a job! Doesn't it feel great to complete a chore like that? My biggest goal is to get the garden beds cleaned up and ready for spring. Made a small dent with weeding yesterday before heading out to a birthday party for a 3 year old. Great weather.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9284598

Have a Dr.'s appointment this AM.
When I get home--i WILL take as many Coleus cuttings as i can. Getting a bit chilly
at night--and they tend to decline in cold weather.

I do not like that this colder weather has hit so suddenly and so early.
Geez! it is still September!!!

My Brugs are all blooming! Likely for the last time--which usually happens in October.

OK! Gotta run...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9284725

Time to start the great migration!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9285104

Gorgeous day out there--as they have all been--it is the nights that worry me...
Tonight--mid 40's. Hmmmm...

Did my Coleus cuttings--and also 2 6-packs of Persian Shield. First time doing this.
Paul--you inspired me to try...

--Here are the newly potted Coleus cuttings. They will now reside under my seed set-up lights.
This rack is in my bedroom by a bright window to boot. Easy to keep an eye on.

--Also---My Maya Brug is blooming at this time. Shabby leaves and all! Chewed up!
--My Brazilian Plume is getting huge! Has about 3-4 new blooms.
That is a 6"pot of begonias below it-for size comparison. To think I cut it back to almost nubs last fall!
--Can you believe this??? The Dr. Seuss is taking over! It just bloomed. I know there will bw one more flush.
Paul--Does this give you an idea of the size it will grow???? May even get bigger yet...

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9285175

Gita-

Wow that is huge. Well it will be fun to see it grow!!! I don't mind digging it out of the ground every year. I'm glad to see you were inspired to do the persian shield cuttings, they are very easy. I actually just took coleus cuttings tonight but I put three to 4 inch by 6 inch pot. I might try and sterilize some 6 packs and try a few your way Gita, they look amazing. I experimented a little with dipping some w/roottone some without. I love the colors in the coleus pictures. Thumbs up!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 24, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9285226

Gita, you caught my interest on using Systemic Granules. If you have the time and inclination, would you please share the why's and how's to use this?

I started bringing in plants today and after reading the warnings about the Coleus, I see that my work for the day is not done, and I need to mozey out and cart in some of the potted Coleus cuttings and take more cuttings. Thanks for the reminder...don't know where my mind was earlier, but truthfully didn't know they were that susceptible to coolness. I knew I was reading this thread for some reason...

Anyway...Sally I am definitely right there with you in terms of running short on plant space. I haven't yet counted, and may not ever, but a couple of summers ago John counted and said he stopped counting when he hit two hundred pots. Good grief, have I gone mad?!?!...don't answer.

I have one really great thing that has added some good plant space this year. Some years back when visiting Bec_No_Va I saw this great lighted plant stand. I had heard her say earlier in the year that she has gotten rid of a lot of her plants. I called and asked if she was using the shelf and her answer was no, and that it was currently serving as a dust collector and I please come and get it and give it a new home. I did jus that...Well, I sent John on that errand actually. It is quite a large stand and holds a lot of plants. I will try to snap a picture and post here at some point.

Since the cool temperatures the past week or so and more called for, I feel the first thing here is to get the houseplants indoors and then we can begin doing fall garden maintence chores. One of our chores this year will be somewhat like it sounds as though Donnerville is going to do...dig up at least 80% percent of one bed, spray for sedge grass and then replant next spring. There will be lots of Hardy Geraniums, Hellebores and Heucheras for all when this is done. I will not be replanting many of the above mentioned.

Anyway...thank you so much for giving Sally the idea to get this topic up and running again Coleup and thank you so much for doing so Sally.

Hope that everyone has a very enjoyable week.

Ruby

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9285261

What kind of over wintering I should I do for the geraniums? Cut them back hyard?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9285340

Paul--

--Three years ago--this Dr. S. Brug was a rooted cutting. So--the stem cutting was taken in the fall of 2009.
--Rooted over the winter in a pot under my lights. Later by my kitchen door. (the one i never use)
--Grown out to a med. sized plant in summer of 2010
--Kept dormant all winter in my Shop (winter 2010)
--Grew bigger all through summer 2011. Just like now--wide and sprawled--like an open umbrella.
--Cut back last fall so it would fit in my basement. Every stem cutting rooted over last winter.
Had like 25 of them. Had a lot to give away at the May Swap.
--This winter I will need to also cut it back--seriously. I do not really want to mess with rooting them again.
At least--not any more that a few cuttings. What to do????? What to do????
Everyone that wanted one now has one.

Anyway--Paul--this monstrosity is growing in a 3 or 5 gal. black nursery pot with the holes cut out around the pot.
This is the least harmful way to grow and dig them up--as I explained in the Brug. Primer.

Ruby---
Systemic Granules (or liquid) will kill any critter that has set up housekeeping in your pots.
Do this at least 2 weeks before you bring the plants in. Like NOW!

Do not freak out about the temp. being in the 40's at night. Many plants can take that.
i WOULD bring in the most susceptible--like Begonias, Impatiens, and any others with succulent stems (Cacti and Succulents are OK!)
This time of year--you need to pay attention to the weather forecasts. Days are warm--nights are getting cooler.

Your CC's and other cacti will be perfectly OK.

OK! Tonight starts "Dancing with the Stars" at 8PM. Gotta go watch it...one of my favorite shows...

Good night all! Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #9285699

It's a good thing I bought that bottle of systemic at work yesterday... got my "Honey Do" list to work on today, and one of my "to do's" is to take all the babies back outside (except for the Brugs, they are still outside!!) and spray them!!

What's on my "Fall stuff to do" list? Well, it's too early to move the Laurels, but I will be digging in the new pots of Verbena I brought home from work (one of the front beds is gonna get a make-over), but I **can** dig the holes out back where the Laurels will go, in preparation for the. Collect some of my hopefully-decayed leaf-stuff out front (from last year) and amend the holes, spray the Winter-indoors babies, finish cutting back the Coleus' and Setcretia that I plan to keep ... and general over-all clean up that back shelf area... crap, lots more to do than I realized, I'd better get offa here and get busy. See y'all later!! **waves**!!! < =D
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 25, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9285813

Oh Lord, I am not at a loss for things to do...just don't have much motivation to do much currently. I suppose I missed using the systemic granules this year because most of my plant came indoors yesterday. I tried to carefully spot those awful stink bugs that are back in force the past week or so. At least ten made it inside which I caught and flushed several hours after finishing bringing plants inside. I haven't really treated in years past and have done okay in terms of pests, but of course this is also the first year I had something munching on some of my plants too.

Boy did my Christmas or Holiday Cactus collection triple in size this summer. We had to set up a special table in the master bedroom last year to house them and John has decided he doesn't want that table to come back in, so not exactly sure what we will do with the holiday cactus when they do come inside. Along with Gita, Sally and Coleup all donating to the CC cause, I also placed a nursery order last spring for several of them too. Am I crazy? At least half crazy it seems.

Last year the big thing here was to pot things for market. There was basically no market this year and so I have lots of plants that I thought would be possibly sold and would be taking up residence elsewhere. The front windows of the Pharmacy where we have some plants for sale are pretty much full and can't easily hold any new plants. I suppose an idea might be to bring the ones that are now there home, and send others and hope they will sell since the others haven't seemed to want to go anywhere. The lighting in those windows are great and the plants there just love it and seem to thrive.

I will try to keep my mouth shut as much as possible and not mention the new areas of the yard that my hubby has set up nursery operations. Last year there was a large section of the front yard that he used to pot and sit many dozens of Iris. That was okay and it cut down on the mowing he had to do out there. Since last year, we now have three more spots where huge potting operations are going on. He is getting his wish it seems to have less and less lawn to mow. I have no problem with his using the space, my problem is not maintaining the spaces and allowing them to look over run and neglected. Again, will keep my mouth shut as much as possible.

Happening gardening all...

Ruby
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9285822

Maybe other businesses in town would be able to overwinter some for you. That just popped into my head.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 25, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9285832

Hmmmm...you might be on to something Jan. I will put on my thinking cap and see what I can come up with. We are a fairly small town and with all my health issues, the pharmacy is a place we visit frequently and know all the staff. Heck, there are several restaurants that may want something for their windows too. Thank you for mentioning this. In years past when having too many plants to fit comfortably in my small home, I have been known to run ads on Freecycle to give them away or to find other plant lovers and give them all a half a car load to take with them.

Will have to check with my other half, who ends up usually doing the leg work involved in maintaining the plants and see if he wants to add a few more stops a week to his outings. Thank you so much for putting the bug in my ear...very good suggestion. Will let you know what we decide.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9285857

Ruby--- some more ides...

1--Does your town have a High School? many HS's have a gardening program. Some even have
small greenhouses set up inside to propagate and such.

2--Have you considered just setting up a table and having a Yard sale with plants?

3--If you really want to get rid of your plants--you can donate them to a Hospital or to a senior center
or to a Nursing home...

4--Go visit an Elementary School and give plants away to the children to take them home to their Moms.
******************************************************************************************************************

OK! Speedie----

I gather what you bought was liquid Systemic. Right?
To kill things INSIDE the pots, you will need to water the soil with this stuff as well.
Just spraying the plant will do nothing for a colony of Ants that has set up a lair at the bottom of your popts...

That is what I always worry about. Seems ants are everywhere...I have seen trails of them come and go inside my pots.
Then I know there is an active den down there.
I just pull the whole plant out and spay the bottom of the soil with some kind of Roach and Ant spray.

The GRANULES I use take about 2 weeks to dissolve enough to do their work. That is why I need to get with it...

OK! I better get outside ans start on mine...Gita

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9285872

A new website about stink bugs -- http://www.stopbmsb.org/

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9286075

Well, I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I got everything done except for digging those holes...gonna have to wait for a rain 'cause that soil is just too darned hard... which means also that compost-stuff out front on the tree-line will just sit there and wait for me as well. Otherwise, all else is done, including the phone calls, filing, bathrooms clean, run to the landfill, dishes, and a few other oddes-and-ends that I have forgotten. And yes Ma'am Gita, I did get the liquid, so I watered it into the soil well, but made sure the soil wasn't dried out before I watered it in... that sort of "happy medium" place they need to be in before ya water the stuff in. We all know that "happy medium" place. =)

I am embarrassed to admit that I "found" a tray of a couple 4" pots of Coleus and Magilla Gorillas that I had forgotten about amongst my verbenas out front, eeek!! Cut those back and sprayed them as well, and now they're sitting out back waiting their turn to be brought in. (2 magillas and 2 dipt in wine). Egads, what's wrong with me!?!? ... wait, don't answer that. =P
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9286112

Not a thing, speedie. Not a thing. Heehee.

Made a pie, some cranberry/orange bread. Now I'm making collards and babysitting Miss Maggie. 4 going on 14. She is such a happy kid!!! Very fun!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9286116

OOOPS!

I still have the 2 pots of the blue Verbenas to plant. Almost forgot!
I presume they need to be in full sun? Hmmm...hard to think about that! WHERE?????
I could plant one in my tiny front bed (by my door) and let it sprawl. That way--I would not have to
try all kinds of annuals that just peter out.

If they would survive in the front of my very dry "YUK" bed--I would love to have them there
in front of all the Day Lilies. But--nothing wants to grow there--it is so dry--because of the tree roots.

I could kill myself and try to dig it up some more--and amend it---but the only thing is that--the tree roots will just go:
"AHHHH! Fresh soil to grow in!!!" YUMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Still worth considering. Would appreciate a bit of advice on this???????

Today--I started out with plans wanting to apply the Systemic Granules, but instead started cleaning up
all my Irises, cutting back the leaves, raking out the soil, and pulling up some annuals.
And so my ADD mind goes...

There is still time! I have now had my break yakking with you all on DG--so I shall get my arse outside and continue...

Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9286192

One of the verbena in the small by-the-door bed is probably a good idea, especially if the soil is already amended. Be prepared to prune it back a few times a year to make entrance to the door possible. ;)

Hmmmmm... Near a tree amongst roots, IF you have to kill yourself digging to amend the soil: That is a very large probable MAYBE.. after all, what I've got growing out front does grow around and all over and through everything else, including my 7' tall Agastaches and the Otto Lyukens and the rampant Jerusalem Cherries.. and just absolutely everything. It may just give that tree a run for its money. The tree roots may go "Aaaaaah, fresh soil for me to grow in!", but the verbena may just fight back and say "HEY wait a minute, THAT'S MINE!!". =)

I would say they'd like "lots of" sun - to - full sun, as much as you can give them. They'll still do very well with less, but they bloom more in 'full' sun.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9286433

Geez- Speedie---
You did not make my decision any easier!

OK! My question now is--when they are growing, planted in the front part of a bed, do they spread
forwards or backwards. I know it sounds like a stupid question--but if they "colonized" backwards--
I would like that better--in either bed.

The plants of this verbena I got--look semi-dead. is that normal? Are they going dormant this time of year?
I did water them the next day, but they still look all dried up.

Should i worry????? Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9286522

I've started a Stink Bug continuation thread over here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281718/
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2012
1:53 AM

Post #9286567

What kind of verbena are you all talking about? I thought verbena was an annual. I had PW dark blue/purple verbena all summer and I just pulled it and the PW Bubblegum pink petunias up. About killed me because they were still blooming but I'm on a roll getting stuff from the plant swap planted, divided, and the beds cleaned up. I figured the first frost is probably not too far away anyhow and they would be killed by it. I can't take working outside in cold weather so have to do it now. Next week Mr. B will be here to do fall maintainence and mulching, prunning anything that needs it..and after that I'm putting covers on the patio furniture for the winter, taking in anything that needs to go inside and maybe direct sow some perennials that don't like to be transplanted so I'll use Jiffy peat pots..so they will bloom in Spring of 2013..(dwarf larkspurs, delphiniums, foxglove to name a few flower seeds) Have two more pots of daylilies to plant out from the plant swap.

My niece from NJ came down to visit with her Mother for a few days and stopped by yesterday to visit us and she started asking me what was this and that so we took a walk around the house for her to see what else I had planted in the beds, and when I showed her all that had come from the plant swap, she had this strange look on her face..and said people just give away all these plants..and I told her about plant swaps..She had never heard of them but maybe she will check them out in her area now. She said she looks forward to seeing all the daylilies I planted bloom next Spring/summer when she is here visiting again.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 28, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9288972

sallyg wrote:Save all those fall leaves- and watch for my article about good soil fungus that eats them.I think this is one of Gita's secrets to beautiful flowers, and she may not even have known it directly. She saves fall leaves and lets them rot in bags, then uses them around plants. Very good!

Liked you article yesterday Sally. Kudos.

Have to wear a hard hat to work in my yard. Seems to be a bumper crop of acorns this year. Or overly active and accurate squirrels!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9289009

Read the article! enjoyed!! I'm a bag leaf saver also! My worms love em'!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9289030

I don't think i will have as many leaves as usual, as my big Maple has already dropped a bunch of them
during the end of summer.
The leaves were small to begin with (due to the stressful summer) and many of them fell prematurely.
My other maple usually drops ALL her leaves first--and the Silver maple is still all green.
NOT this year...

I will rake what i can and compost in bags--but most of thee leaves that fall down get chopped up when I mow the lawn.
And YESSUREEEE! I do not bag my clippings! haven't done it for eons! My lawn loves it.

Just FYI---After I bag all the shredded leaves--I sprinkle in a handful of Lawn food (for the "N")
and then add some water. Takes 2 years before it is a nice, loose compost.

My problem is I don't have anywhere, out of sight, to put these bags. I usually have 2 or 3.

Gita

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #9289576

Judy, hearing you on the acorns. There is a constant sound of dropping now, every once in a while you'll hear an especially loud thunk when they hit the pole barn's tin roof. Driveway is covered, and the acorns crunch as the tires pass over them. Lovely sounds, but you do have to beware of them knocking you on the head. Had Joyanna and Alfie up here last Friday and four other kids on Saturday - they entertained themselves by finding as many different kinds of acorns as they could. Nice variety!

I am so glad it is the weekend. I will be outside doing fall cleanup and planting the fall plant acquisitions - went overboard at Sally's swap (honestly, had intended to only bring a "few" things home), and then followed it up last week by going overboard again at the Green Springs plant sale. Tempted by a Native Plant Sale just off the beltway and 395 today - don't NEED anything, and should focus on planting what I already have, but do I dare pass up a Native Plant sale??? Probably not LOL. Sale flier:
http://home.earthlink.net/~sknudsen/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9289773

I am proud of myself--held firmly to NOT bringing home too many plants from the Swap.

4 to be exact--plus 2 cuttings to root. Gita
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9289984

SSGardener was here to pick up some plants I had to share with her that I couldn't get into our car on 9/15. It probably takes her 20-25 min. to get here. I had dug up coneflowers, Alaska shasta daisies, and she wanted zagreb coreopis..so I let her dig those up this morning when she came. She deals with a clay soil and made a remark how rich and nice my soil was to dig. When we moved here in 2005, DH was phsically able to do the yard work, but now it's all me, and I'm seriously thinking of reducing the width of the two front flowerbeds..These flowerbeds are owning me and I can't deal with his health issues and the flowerbeds. I enjoy working in my flowerbeds but I think I've add all the perennials I need for a while.. Wintersowing will be all about favorite annuals to fill in color. Since the temps got down into the 80's, my alyssum is blooming its head off. Terri can vouch for that.

Can we help her and others who have to deal with clay soil..has somebody done an article on this subject before? Or have any suggestions? My friend in College Park goes around her neighborhood and collects the bags of leaves people have raked up for the city to pick up. They purchased a shredder and she never buys commericlal mulch. She uses shredded leaves all the time. Of course, she's been working on hers for years so it is rich now..Are the shredded leaves the answer? What about aged manure?

I know Terri has been working so hard trying to deal with the clay soil..it is back breaking work I'm sure. She will have to report all that she had done to amend it.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9290017

Gita, are you able to use that 32 cell pack container I gave you? I know you said you do some things indoors "under lights" and I hope you are able to use it. If you prefer not to use it, pass it along to somebody that can or will. Won't hurt my feelings any. You gave me the red daylilies, right?
Well, they went into my front bed by the living room window and I can't wait to see them bloom in the Spring. Thank You so much for your generosity and always help online.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9290092

Pippi---

I will use the 32-cell pack for seeds in the spring. Not seeding anything right now.
Somehow, the tray it came on got left/lost at Sally's. I wrote her to look for it.

I have several trays from IKEA I use under all my seeding trays. it holds about 6-6packs,
so no biggie if sally does not find the tray that came with it.

Yes! I gave you the red day Lilies---did you divide them or just plant them?
If you just planted them--yu will have a nice full clump blooming.

Gita

Here you can see the trays I use...This is from 2008.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9290114

Thank you for the plants, Pippi! Your alyssum is indeed very pretty. I have alyssum seeds that I'm going to wintersow this year. Hopefully, I'll have enough to share at the spring swap.

The clay is horrible in some parts and not so bad in others. I took greenthumb's advice from last year and sheetmulched a large area. The soil is really good in that area, but it took a *lot* of organic materials. I have so little organic matter in my clay that any that I put on top gets gobbled up very quickly.

So my fall yardening chore is to gather up as much organic materials as possible for the new planting areas! I'm going to try to get as much free stuff as possible, and then top off with wood chips from College Park.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9290245

I could have probably given you a few more plants but I just wasn't feeling good..Those pretty rudbeckias are callled Prairie Sun, There is a very similar variety called Irish ? Having a mental block on the rest of that variety's name..I sowed those in 4 in. pots last Spring and you saw all the blooms..I'm keeping the seed pods but will buy more of same seeds. Most of what I've got on that side is in the yellow and orange colors with the exception of my peonies..I meant to ask you if you were interested in some creeping phlox..as it needs to be divided. It was so beautiful and full this past Spring..

Gita, I did divide the pot and got 4 plants out of it, double fans. Have Holly's wine daylily and one more of Ruby and John's Mary Todd daylily to plant. I manage to get 3 or 4 plants out of Ruby&John's pots. The ones I got from them Sept. 2011 were absolutely so beautiful this Spring..Everybody that drove or walked by commented on them.

You found Mr. Greenthumb's website(Doug Green?) Mr. Brownthumb from Chicago has a great gardening website too. I learned how to harvest a lot of seeds from his tuitorials.

Terri, those alyssum were by Burpee. I love that purple one but I need to learn to put them further back in the bed because they spread over the scallopped pavers and were on the sidewalk. Didn't want the mail person to trip on them or one of us, so I "clipped their wings" back as far as the paver. Seems like all the drought tolerant plants couldn't take the 100 degree heat we had this summer..but once the temps dropped everything started busting out.
That soil in the garage bed is so rich and everything that gets planted there grows..I'm hoping it will be the same on that side bed where you dug up one clump of coreopsis.. I have always planted Carpet of snow alyssum but think I will try Snow Crystals vaiety this year. I have creeping phlox started on that side but it might class with the yellow rudbeckia so I might wintersow the white alyssum and put it there or dusty miller.. Ajuga would be good too but it only blooms for a short while. I really need stuff that returns year after year, reseeds or I can divide easy. Alyssum is so easy to grow..I've wintersowed it each year..In the back flowerbeds, the alyssum didn't do well at all. It's poor soil there and I have amended the soil in that bed several times. It is full of roots too, not helping matters..

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9290356

SSgardener---

I am sure you may know this already--but i need to warn you about getting wood chips.
Make sure they are completely composted!
Frech chips--like from a chipper when they cut down trees--are pretty bad to put on beds as in the process
of decaying, they will rob your beds of a lot of Nitrogen.

Pippi---
A small warning to you too. It is almost impossible to divide Creeping Phlox. Where can you take a division??
No matter how big your clump has grown, it all still came from one plant. It will, most likely, end up being a carnage.

The only way I could imagine doing this is to look underneath the clump and see if any of the branches
touching the ground have rooted in. Then dig those away and pot them up.

I am willing to stand corrected on either of this advice...

Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9290389

Gita, thank you for the warning. Last year, I put down a layer of chicken manure first, which seemed to help counteract any nitrogen robbing that was going on.

Pippi, I have a lot of alyssum seeds left. Please remind me at the seed swap!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9290401

Gita, I've had luck shovel prunning the creeping phlox, but I know exactly what you are saying. It is hard. I think I was just lucky.
sissystars
Perkasie, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 29, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9290464

Aye carumba. We have been doing our annual Fall 'hedge' work. This means cutting weeds and wild roses and other garbage plants out of about 400 feet of mixed shrub plantings.

I would LOVE to clean up my shed, but that is not happening this Fall. I usually treat it as a 'Srping but too early to plant' chore. We did rebuild the tool hanging system in the barn, as it fell down completely at the start of the summer. (What a jumbled mess.)

And, of course, I cxontinue to wage war against the grassy weeds and thistle. Yahoo!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9293714

I'm going to take advantage of this rain and go around the house tonight and mark all the caladiums to dig up for this weekend or the next. Nice soft ground...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9293999

Pippi, you have a way with creeping Phlox! I , like Gita, have had mostly failure.

So should I take my two Caladium pots and let them dry out? They are floppy. Why? They're wet enough.

Happy dance--! -- the 'we got horse manure today' happy dance !!

Oh, we overseeded the lawn and it's coming up pretty nice. Of course, Mark spent all day watering the yard, the day before all this rain LOL
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9294025

Sally your guess is as good as mine. I've always treated caladiums as an annual before this year. I'm trying something new.

All of mine, except for the one from ssg, are in ground and a few have started to melt back to the earth. I suppose the colder weather has really shocked them.

From what I've read and am going to try is to dig them and let the foliage die back and then store them in Peatmoss in the darkest coolest spot in your house. And I think I remember they need to "breathe.". Im sure if you have them in pots you could just protect the pots in a garage perhaps. Come to think of it I might just put them in a big pot of dirt in the ground. Better yet I will experiment and do both.

If anybody has any experience with this please step in. If not, I'll let you know how it goes.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9294045

Paul, I've successfully kept one caladium plus its babies for a couple winters now. They were in pots; I let them dry out around about now-ish, took some of the dirt off, wrapped in paper and boxed with other bulbs to store. I feel sure they do not want to get too cold- maybe the chill or the day length is telling them to croak.
I'm also very welcome to a critique here-

I have pulled some of my garden grown Amaryllis too- but left two others longer. I plan to use them in the garden next year and let them bloom in summer- or something like that...playing around.

GOing to dig sweet potatos then set up new veg garden space! And will have to pick a spot for this years big pile of fall leaves.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9294067

Excellent! I'll just give that a go. It is on my list for this weekend. I'm itching to do something..

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9294080

Terp- try this
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3665/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/895/

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 7:33 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9294108

Thanks! I think I'll try them wrapped in newspaper in the garage.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9294145

Every year I consider caladiums and every year I nix them from my repertoire because of their late emergence . I want my garden up and going in April and May not July! Yep, June. July and August are pretty much lost to me for being out in the garden because of the intense heat and I enjoy the ac more than the garden.

However, if there was a way to have caladiums up and running earlier...

Here is a quote from LariAnn in one of the comments to the article Sally references above
"For those who grow Caladiums in beds, here's a tip: start them in pots with large holes in the bottoms, then plant them in the bed, pot and all (pot soil level equal to bed soil level). Roots will grow out the bottom holes and keep them going, but this way, you won't have to fumble around in the bed trying to find all the tubers when it's time to dig them up. Just lift the pots when the leaves start to fade and you know you got all the tubers!"

Seems like not only a great way to overwinter them with less fuss, but would also allow a little earlier growth than planting them in the ground after ground temp reaches 60 degrees 3 inches down!

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9294154

Sally. I absolutely loved the decorative pot you put those FLA 'Heart" caladiums in. Can you post a pic or two of plany and pot? The colors and forms together are exquisite! Thanks. Hope those overwinter well for you and you can do it all again next year.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9294167

I cannot give you much advice on digging or storing,but i do want to tell you that for
Caladiums to start growing in the spring takes some time. They need bottom heat to
sprout. Try to find a warm area--like the top of the water heater--or the fridge (not really enough heat) .
If you have a hear mat--that would be great...
If you plant the corms out when you plant other plants--it will take forever until the temps are about 80-85
on a regular basis for them to sprout. Many people make this mistake.
It takes a bit of planning--just like with Amaryllis.

Start the bulbs early--like 5-6 weeks before planting out. Light is not needed until they start growing leaves.

Much success. Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9294191

Thank you for the advice. To minimize work I'll probably put them in trays of peat in the garage and then when it comes time to give them a head start just moved them to the refrigerator top.

If that doesn't work I'll just throw them in the ground and wait till June. :)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9294207

Coleup thanks again for the beautiful Heart caladiums. I am of course saving those. Busy couple days to come but will try pic. Was one of those ceramic ' oriental-esque' pots.
With our short growing season for caladiums we need to to really push them to grow...or just buy new ones.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9294219

Lol I enjoy planting them and forgetting about them.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9294222

lol Paul, You mean place them gently in well prepared soil, Don't you?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9294229

Oh yea yea of course.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9294538

Heehee

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9295549

Hi everyone,

I really enjoyed reading this thread as soon as I returned home.

Been very busy staying at different houses to help with illnesses and babysitting. Now that I have some time to myself I'll try to catch up with what's going on. Coleup's idea of putting the tubers and bulbs in pots is exactly what I do with all my tropicals (canna, calla, brazilian plume flower (thank you Gita) tuberose, cajun hibiscus, EEs and such. The only things that I dig out and wrap are the dahlias because the clumps are sooo large and I haven't gotten around to splitting them yet. I put stakes in for those dahlias this year, but got to busy to tie the dahlias up. I like what happened!! They are in an area where all kinds of lilies are long gone and they trailed all over the empty spaces.

I do lift my Caladiums and Tuberose Begonias because they are in huge pots in the front porch. These I wrap in newspaper and tie them in plastic grocery bags. It seems that they keep some moisture without rotting or drying out.

All of the above get taken into the 2 car garage and line the walls with the most tender going on the inner walls.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9295604

Sharing here some Autumn photos:

1--New England Aster in its glory--and the bees love every bloom!
2--Black and Blue salvia--my $1 deal from Lowes. Has been blooming nicely.
3--This HUGE purple (?) Mum--right next to it...
4--My neighbor's Olga's orange cannas. Some of you got these from me...
5--Just how far down can a trailing Vinca go? I am sure it would continue ad-infinitum!

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9295607

And two most exquisite pictures-----A misty morning and a lot of work by tiny spiders.
These are all over my Boxwood by my front steps.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9295926

Today, I've been trying to get some of our patio furniture(glass coffee table and glass top tea cart)bought back into the house. Lifted my 12 in. brick, round stepping stones up from the flowerbeds, put the hose on jet spray and hosed all the dirt off the bottom, turned them over and did the same. Stood them on edge to dry for a few hours, stacked them inside the garage for the winter with a piece of plastic in between each stepping stone. I am doing this because last year, they were brick brown/red and when Mr. B put down the mulch, he covered them up and I didn't realize it until Spring came and when the daffs and tulips started to bloom, I realized I was missing some in certain areas..It was then that I realized the stepping stones were under the mulch and on top of some of my tulips and daffs. Duh! Lifted them off and poor little bulb were squahed and their sems were without green color..So this Spring, I came up with this idea of painting all those brick round stepping stones a bright Sunflower yellow. It not only added color to the garage bed but I decided that they wouldn't get covred up by mistake again this year..I think I read that one of those stepping stones weights 17 lbs. each, does that sound possible? I put a piece of plastic between each one to make it eary for me to lift them come Spring time when I got to put them back out again. Put the clay strawberry pots inside the garage, most of my other pots, I've been buying the fiberglass or retsin ones that look like stone urns, so I'm not worried about them.

Tomorrow weather permitting, we will put the furniture covers on the 2 chairs and sofa..which is wrought iron..one of Martha Stewart's collections. I have been looking all summer for a wrought iron bakers rack that I could use for plants and other displays for outside..We do not leave our patio furniture cushions out in the weather and taking them in/out is a pain but they will last a long time. If I could see this wrought iron furniture, I would because it takes up a lot of room and we don't use it like we thought we would. Got a great buy on it at K-Mart one year and couldn't resist it. Maybe in the Spring, I'll post a picture of it and try to sell it. It's a beautiful set but needs to be on a covered porch or enclosed area.

I'm still putting some things away from the plant swap. Been down sick all this week and only begun to feel better a few days ago and do a little bit each day. Looking around to make sure no plant ID stakes aren't missing. Mr. B and Cathy will probably come by tomorrow and do my mulching and prunning tasks. The original owners of this house planted a forsythia bush in front of the A/C unit, I guess to hide it but I feel it is not a good place for it, so I'm having Mr. B to dig it up for me. I cut all the foilaige and stems down to make it easier for them..I'lll plant some other plants in its place.

We rec'd 3 in. plus rainfall on Tuesday and I see there is some more in the gauge sine I poured it all out yesterday morning. Must have rained during the night and I didn't hear it. Will let Mr. B plant my last two plant swap daylilies for me.

Now it's to finishe dragging out the Fall/winter clothing and packing the summer clothes away. That's a task I always dread..I don't liike to see Winter come at any time. Have you noticed all the beautiful fall colors showing on the trees?

Gita, doesn't look like any of your plants are ready for the Fall or Winter with such pretty blooms. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Love that mum color. My bronze ones are starting to bloom and look so pretty. Some gardener and I can't remember who it is now posted that they cut their Mums back several times a summer, When they reach 12 in. he cuts them back to 6 in. and does that until a certain month(July?)then they bush out nicer for him. Got to remember that next year. Have only purchased 2 yellow mums this summer so hopefully I'll be able to take some more cuttings from them in the Spring.

Have a great weekend! Onward to more Fall chores.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9295953

Holy Guacamole I'm soooooooo late getting back into this thread!!!!!! Gita, I'm really sorry about being so late to reply to you about the Verbena.. yes Ma'am, they do start going dormant around this time of year. More so when they are yet to be established than after they get established. Mine are already starting to get that dead and/or dying look to them, and they are very well-established.
They will spread EVERY WHICH WAY, so try to center them as best you can.

Again, sorry I'm late, been a little side-tracked with some side projects around here.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9295971

Side tracked side projects sounds like my Yardening to do list!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9296089

Pippi---HELLLLLOOOO!

Mums can be pinched back until July 4th. Then you have to let them be to start developing bloom buds.
Any of the longer pinched off tops can be stuck in the soil and they should root.

speedie----

Assuming that the verbena will spread more towards the sun-light, I was going to plant one
in my small front bed, kind of more towards the back, which faces the house.
I am hoping it will "colonize" the bed moving towards the front and sideways.

--Can I still dig and plant some annuals amid the spread branches? That may look pretty...
--How close to the ground do the stems spread? or--do they spread upward as well?
--If I want to keep the verbena lower to the ground--can I cut off the taller stems so i can plant annuals amid the plant?
--Hoping to plant the other one amid my D.L.ies in my "YUK" bed. I would love it if it would grow there--
as not much else (flowering) grows too well in this bed.

We will see...We will see...I better write some notes for next season. I tend to forget
what did not do well, or what died, or what plant took over a pot and killed off everything else.
Persian Shield wins the trophy of the killer plant for this year. It totally outgrew the big pots.
As well as the Euphorbia that looks like"snoe in the summer" and is used in HB's and containers
as a filler. There is NOTHING left in this container but a mountain of the Euphorbia.
Will see, when i dig it up, if it has some special root system--and if it MIGHT be able to be rooted????
This plant gets the "runner up" trophy for being a complete "HOG!

Re-potted my Clivias today in slightly bigger pots--5 out of the 7 I have. They needed a bit more breathing room.
Trimmed off a lot of the ropy roots at the bottom and some of the longer ones on the sides.
Not to worry! All will be well!
These plants can grow monster roots--all bunched up among themselves so you do not even see any soil.

For those of you that have a Clivia---brace yourself if you ever need to pot these up to a bigger pot.
Mind you--they DO NOT need to be moved up. They do not mind being root bound.
This is what you will be faced with:

edited to add comments on the Euphorbia.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2012 4:54 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9296092

The hot summer did the pinch back work on my mums ,It did not need any at all.!!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9296447

Yippee! It is my Friday off and Monday is a holiday, making this a four day weekend for me. I have an outdoor yarden to do list that is a full page long - over ambitious, but what the heck. I've been up since 5:00 doing much needed house cleaning chores, but now it is off to the yarden for some real fun. Beautiful weather right now is a bonus. Will probably light the huge bonfire tonight - the burn ban in Loudoun county was lifted on Monday. It will feel great to be able to clean up and burn a lot of the debris from that summer storm that I keep moaning about. Hope everyone is doing well and set to enjoy the weekend... Terri

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9296664

No Fall yardening for me today, interviewing construction guys to install a new front door for us ... around the dental appointment, of course. Needed to get the fangs cleaned and polished. Am happy to report that my dentist has now declared me no longer of any use to him since my fangs are finally in good shape, not even any placque or tartar to speak of. < =D Pooooor sweet dentist, can no longer make any money off of me. **giggle**

Gita Darling, that Verbena will spread in every direction, both toward the sun and toward the shade... and toward the house, and toward all the other plants you have growing around it.. and toward any wandering squirels and chipmunks that happen by. ;) Personally, I plunked a bunch of Million bells around mine, mostly yellow, to fill in whatever gaps I imagined to be there, and they created their own little spaces to fill in and look nice amongst all the purple blooms. I forced them in, whether the Verbena liked it or not, and the Verbena graciously allowed the Million Bells to thrive and to show their pretty little yellow faces.

If you're not liking the height of the Verbena, by all means, cut some of it back, it won't mind one little bit. I prune mine back a bit and it never complains. I also prune back some of the straying edges that sneak past my adirondack fencing and they neither hoot nor holler. (when I say "prune" I mean "mercilessly hack back with my gardening scissors".) < =D
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9296726

Well, my flowerbeds are put to bed for the winter. Mr. B and Cathy were here at 7:30 am..Cleaned up all the flowerbeds, edged them, dug up the forsythia beside the A/C unit, dug up the minature rose bush and potted it up for me so I can use it on the patio/breezeway Spring/Summer. It's such a pretty color of yellow. It was planted between two mature rose bushes and was kind of lost so I thought of the idea of potting it up. In the winter, I'll put it inside the garage. Have to think of a way to keep it from freezing in the garage since it's unheated. I had him to thin out the other forsythia that in at corner of my side flowerbed..He also planted out some swap plants (dayliliies)that I hadn't got to, some rocket hydrangea that I transplanted about 2 mo. ago, some creeping phlox that I had rooted got planted along the edge of the side bed..Holly, your wine daylily was planted in the spot vacated by the minature rose. The last Mary Todd, I was able to separated into 5 plants and they went in bed with same variety from Sept. 2011 swap. Mulched all the beds and they are ready for their winter's rest. Since I didn't have him in the Spring, he was on the fence whether to cut it back today or not..It needed it so bad, was a lot of dead wood. It's Dr. Ruppel(Group#2)so he gave it lime and I told him he had permission to cut the clematis..we hope we didn't cause it not to bloom in the Spring. Maybe the good prunning job was what it needed. All I should need come Spring are annuals..my beds are full of perennials. Come Spring things should look nice if they survive the winter. I had added new and more creeping phlox plants last Spring in the back flowerbeds, I had added more phlox to side bed, might have to fill in some more color in the front flowerbed in front of living room..Hopefully the columbines and Gita's red daylilies, the tulps and daffs will steal the show come Spring.

Chantell, is the scented geranium supposed to be an indoor plant? Speedi, what about the succulent type plant you gave me..indoor or outdoor?

Becky...hope your Drs. have given you their game plan..please know that all of us have you in our thoughts and prayers. Do you have to stay over at Walter Reed for a few days or will you be able to travel back and forth for your treatments?

When all my daylilies bloom next Spring and Summer, I'll be giving all of your donors credit and praise.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9296845

Speedie---
Planted one of the verbenas in the front part of my "YUK" bed--in front of all my Daylilies.
Since nothing else ever grows there--I am hoping this verbena will strut her stuff.
NOT afraid to cut and chop as needed--IF needed. I DO have my visions...

Pippi--

Must be nice to have all that yard work done by someone else!
I am sure it cost you--but still...a load off your shoulders.

SO! What did I get done today?
--I planted a few stray bulbs--here and there. Three of them were Paper Whites from last Holiday season.
Anyone know if they will come up and bloom? Will they last from year to year?

--Found a container full of more Wood Hyacinth bulbs (from my digging up craze this past spring)
and planted them in a small area right next to my AC unit. Before I could do that--I dug up the
remnants of my orange Poppies that were languishing there and potted them up.
Done! Got all the tap root too.

My neighbor came hauling a totally root-bound small pot with a dark purple, perennial aster.
She has about 3 more of them growing in her beds. Also--a huge root-ball full of the same.
This one I will try to divide, pot up and will have it for the spring swap. Or--i will give them away to
some gardener at HD.
--I planted the smaller one right under my Butterfly Bush in the corner of my "YUK" bed
where I dug out all my Alaska daisies for Paul. In front of the Aster clump--I planted
a small starter clump of the lavender/pink Autumn sedum--also from my neighbor.
We have a symbiotic relationship of give and take. Lately--she gives and I take--
not really wanting to--but I have more outlets of "takers"--so I take her stuff out of mercy.

As you can see--and as I have said many times here--for me to plant something NEW--
something old has to go.
Tomorrow my BIG chore is to mow the lawn...and continue cleaning out my beds.

Gita

PS. Just throwing it out here...When I have to vut back my Dr. Seuss brug--I am not planning to root
too many cuttings. Maybe a couple? By now, everyone must have at least one.

IF anyone here--or anywhere else would like to have some cuttings, I will be glad to mail
them out for postage. Please pass the word around.

Paul--Here is a teaser shot for you!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9296929

Gita you are quite the tease.

Looks gorgeous. I can't wait.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9297015

Gita, Normally I do all my own planting and have done my own mulching but lifting those 40 lb. bags out of my trunk, and finding a place to store them till I am ready to use them is a problem. I could not have stored them in the garage when we had two vehicles..no room. The last time I mulched myself, I pulled my back lifting all the bags..then wheeling the weight of those 40 lb. in wheelbarrow on the side of the house to the back is tricky. There is a swale between our house and next unit of houses, plus large tree roofs to deal with in back yard..My DH was physically able to do all this work when we moved here in 2005..and as you can see, he is not able to help me now. It cost me $275 this morning and it was worth every bit of it. I have this man in March and October and if I need him to do anything special in between there, I just make a phone call or go hunt him down here in our community, as this is the only place he and his niece have worked for last 26-30 yrs. They are knowledgable, honest . reliable and very nice people. They work from 7:30am-3 or 4 pm.11 mo. of the year, M-F weather permitting. He charges $35 an hour..I've got in a pinch one summer right before vacation time, and he planted 89 annuals for me in about 70 min. and only charged me $90..I find that I am having to take up a lot more chores that my DH used to do but such is life! I do the best I can and if I need help and neither of our kids are no available, I have to hire somebody. Just a fact of life!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9297022

Pippi, its great that you have someone nice and trustworthy!

Gita, my Dr Seuss from Donner is about to bloom. I can't WAIT!

aspenhill- hope you had a great day in the garden and woods, and all weekend for that matter.

speedie-- you're funny! - ^)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9297025

Dug my sweet potatos- have about 15-20 pounds for us and 5 probbly went to the voles judging by the half eaten ones--From 9 plants

Adding two new 4 by 8 veg garden beds. I am layering sweet potato vines, other garden refuse, fall leaves when they come, manure, and will top with dirt and plant in spring.

Added compost to my garlic plot...

Cool weather is coming very soon and I have very little time to play in the garden this weekend. I will have to take my chances and probably be bringing plants in bugs and all...I tore apart a large one last weekend and found a black widow in the foliage!!!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9297031

Sally--
Are we in for some really cold nights? I haven't checked the weather...
Should do it...kind of more prepared that way.

Where are you with your Amaryllis? Mine are still sitting outside in pots.
Need to haul them in the basement to wither off. Then rest a while.

I know the spot i will plant my garlic. In the bed behind my shed--at the end closest to my S.E.M.
Nothing else there but a bunch of Chives. They can all keep each other company...:o)

I am falling asleep---nighty-night...Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9297049

After tonight- nights somewhere in the 40s for the week. Course, with all the trees still leafy, its a bit warmer where my plants are.

I will let Amaryllis, succulents, and all Christmas cactus types feel the cool, but some of our tropicals don't much like it.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9297066

We get 39,35,and 30 degrees for the next three nights Huh?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9297073

Brr!

I was just reading palmbob's latest article. Its long like all of his but pretty amusing, about pruning his many dangerous plants
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3907/
It reminds me I need to take a few pads off my pricly pears.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9297083

I have prickly pear and stinging nettle ,sharp as a needle and a hair, and stingy too, I was thinking the same when reading his article before a I had just finished cutting back the nettle.(and yes that involved pulling up a few roots that went on forever more ) Ropes got nothing on these guys!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2012
11:21 PM

Post #9297200

sallyg I enjoyed yours also, fattening anyway though, That is only me though. yes I am awake again.I am such an insomniac!
and I am getting OCD too!! lol

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9297582

MMdid I make ya want pancakes? thanks!
Got a new recipe for glazed salmon fillets and I bet hickory syrup would be awesome with it. I stick with cheap 'maple' tho.

It just made me laugh how many time palmbob admitted to not getting his gloves on, rushing and hurting himself , not preparing for the job,...all the bad habits I have too!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9297637

As a matter of fact this morning I had pancakes!lol Only I did not get any hickory syrup to go with those just the usual sugar free brand that is half as good at three times the price!!!
Old fashioned recipes and grandma's kitchen is has been worth the weight in gold!. If I did not know better, I would be walking around thinking if it did not come from the grocery store it is not real.
As to the gloves thing I learned my lesson a long time ago,,,but it still happens every once in a while. My favorite seems to be grass splinters!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9299236

WOW you guys have sure been busy, while I was lazing on the Beach. So I had better get my @ss in gear. First is getting the houseplants and tropicals inside. Ric needs to get the new GH heater installed and a pad laid for the propane gas tank that is coming next week. Then I can start looking at fall clean up.
Gita my brug is about to bloom it has it's got a good dozen buds on it hope this cooler weather won't inter with the process. Going to move it into the GH soon.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9299340

Holly---
It sure got cold fast! NOT fair!!!! I am freezing in my house--but will not turn the heat on...yet...
Last night was about 42* here.
I brought in all my smaller pots of this and that rooting. Also some of the Holiday cactus
that have not been doing so great. Plus all my easter cactus cuttings that have been rooting.
Wrote more about this just now on the "After talk" thread.

I left outside all my Epis and older CC.'s. Also my Ivy and Swedish Ivy HB;s.
Not quite ready yet for the BIG "bring in". It is not near freezing yet...
I believe this is just a "test" of things to come. I KNOW we will have warmer weather again.
Just heard on radio that the average temp. for this date is around 69*.

Yes, Holly! You will have the prettiest flush of blooms on your Brugs! They really
put out the buds this time of year. I have buds on all mine too.
The Doctor just finished blooming--and there she goes again.
I do not believe how broad this Brug has grown!!! It is like an open umbrella over most of the bed.
Will have to do a lot of cutting back. NOT going to root more than just a few cuttings.

If anyone wants cuttings--speak up. Paul has already asked for a bunch--for his friends.

Holly---Do you plan to keep all your houseplants in the G-H for the winter? Or just some?
Which ones?
I better prep my LR and DR and every space available for my BIG "bring in"...
Jungle City to come-----soon. Gita

Here's a few things still hanging on:
1--Begonia Grandis
2--Black and Blue Salvia--$1 bargains at Lowes. Hope they make it through the winter????
3--The Brazilian Plume
4--My low, pink Zinnias
5--My neighbor's orange cannas. I dug them last year and planted them this spring for her.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9299344

A few more things...

1--Jill's little, sweet peppers--having "second wind"
2--The New England Aster
3--This huge, Mum
4--Some more Zinnias
5--And my favorite--EVERY year! Love, Love this Mandevilla!!!!!
Beds $20 spent--every spring.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9299377

Holly, you left in ;summer' and came back in fall...Brr!
I grabbed the more sensitive things but like Gita feel confident that others are fine with the short chill and have time to wait before they HAVE to come in. That helps me arrange them inside the house, not trying to do them all at once. I'm not yet decided on where to put the 5 1/2 foot tall, 4 foot wide, blooming tropical 'Tab' from Chantell..but I will find a place for this treasure! I'm hoping since she came in last night, that tonight she may open some flowers and give us a smell.
My Dr Seuss has two open now but with it so chilly I can't really smell much. I might get Mark to haul that inside for me. Huge pot... My two other Brugs are in ground and I'm trying the let them have their last flush before I dig them. Ditto- the Plumie- pleeease pump those buds open this week so I can see them!! I fear if I dig that sooner, it would make the buds drop.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9303008

Raked the first small batch of leaves of MANY. My goal is to keep every leaf that falls here, here, in some way. I set up two new garden vegetable beds and will put some there right away. Later that gets some dirt on top for planting next spring.

Sowed some seeds of cold weather crops and not really sure what to expect- radish, beets (or chard? collected}, spinach, komatsuna.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9303256

I have my Brazilian Plume Flowers in a pot on the front porch. The plan to leave them out to finish blooming was scratched because of the low temperatures and frost expected for sure tonight. Maybe I'll bring them in the house to bloom before I try storing them in the garage. Too many plants to keep in the house. So far, most of them have overwintered in the garage. Not sure what to do with my 2 potted up tiny fig trees. The shed is still only half cleaned up. Tomorrow will be chilly and we are scheduled to see our grandsons various sports activities. Sunday and Monday have lovely weather forecasts. Need to get as much as possible done before Wednesday when I'll be leaving for 11 days. Worried about trusting the care of my plants to my DH while I'm gone.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9303342

Sally,

If you need more leaves I have plenty...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9303391

UMD_Terp wrote:Sally,

If you need more leaves I have plenty...

A wise guy, eh?!?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9303406

Haha. Just seems like an impossible task. I just bought some of the leaf compost from college park. I was very impressed! Great program.

I was looking at buying pussy willow sticks, or silex?, can't remember the name. Does anybody have any they want to share? I had one a while ago but it got nailed by a tree. Had my eye on the non typical willows, like the black.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9303423

Terp, we have a variety of ( genus Salix) willows. I can bring you cuttings or maybe rooted cuttings of any we have @ the next swap,I think we have: curly, black, French, Korean, & a flat stem, this list may not be inclusive. They are great for soaking up H2O, if you have a wet area. Ric

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9303433

Love the willows the pics, and watching here, as for me, I am still cleaning the garage,remember that from weeks ago .lol
Willows grow on dry poison earth also, useful plant.!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9303447

It appears to be a very forgiving plant. Well thanks ric I'll have to touch base with you in the future. Now back to watching dem O's. Sigh.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 13, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9303911

Howdy all...gosh, it took me a bit of time to read the three weeks worth of work that all of you have been involved in. Pretty much the same going on around here...trying to get the houseplants back inside to spend the winter. What a job that has been. Brought the very last few in yesterday due to mid thirties temps that were called for.

Gita, I have never gotten a Brug from you and would love to have some cuttings. It will be a new plant for me, so may need some care directions. Will reimburse for mailing for sure.

Funny to read about Pau's indecision in regards to his Caladium. I potted the ones I grew this past summer and brought them in and have them under grow lights now and will see how that goes. So far, they are in nice bloom and we will see how long that lasts. It is amazing the things I learned last year about overwintering things. Most of what I do is trial and error. Probably this year using the techniques that worked for me last year deliberately, I will probably not have such luck.

Just have to brag a bit about our Miss Becky who gifted me with any plant lover's most desired thing. Some years ago when visiting her home I saw a great lighted plant stand and last spring when hearing her speak of many of her house plants dieing, I asked about the shelf and she said it was collecting dust in a corner of her home. My hubby made a trip to her home some time later and brought that special shelf home to me and I have a very lovely set up for dozens of my houseplants this year. Just gorgeous if I do say so myself.

My collection of Holiday Cactus which numbered eight last year has at least doubled in size and as of Sally's swap and due to the goodness of Cole, I have two really large pots of the beauties. They were the last things to be brought in yesterday and a special table had to come out of storage in order to house them for the winter. Many table tops are being used as plant space this year which wasn't necessary last year. Oh yeah, Gita...all fine ideas for re-homing some of the plants. Actually, as of now they are all fitting nicely, though a bit crowded in some spots. Thankfully the plants displayed in the pharmacy window are slowly selling, and need to be replaced as something goes elsewhere. I was able to send five or six good sized pots down there earlier in the week.

I am happy to report that by the next swap I will have some starts of a Tropical Hibiscus that Sally gifted me with last year at some point. I will have at least three or four of them to share which are about a year old now, and as of yesterday, have started two more pots of rootings as I decided to prune back the mother plant. Not sure if this was the best time to do it or not, but from the reading I did, it made it sound as though pruning any time isn't going to hurt it.

Aspenhill mentioned the children playing with acorns at her place. I fondly remember many hours playing "farm" with acorns and sticks when I was a child and was often brought along to amuse myself while my parents were involved in their vegetable gardening or fruit producing pursuits. I get a warm feeling every time I gaze upon an acorn.

Anyway...so glad to hear about everyone's involvement in getting gardening chores done for the year. We can now amuse ourselves this winter with talk of plans for next years gardening.

Hope that everyone is having an enjoyable Saturday. Take good care all.

Ruby

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9303932

UMD_Terp; I am sure you will get your willows ,only in case I have two natives salix discolor the common white pussy wiillow and salix sercia the common swamp willow (the easiest plant on the earth to grow) swamp willow grow in water on dry dunes ,The only reason I like them is they remind me of bamboo, and I always enjoyed them as a youngster around the ponds where they still are seen all the time.
So many discolors these days ,pink, black, useful plant but not as decorative as they might be , little imagination goes a long way with these, Only now someones going to ask me what is wrong with weeping willow. see ya.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9303992

Oh well that is great. Is it true that are ubsurdly easy to root? As in stick in ground and alakazam!

I counted my 1 gallon dine greenhouses, 25. So with some success, I would hope for 50%-75% I'll have lots of baby shrubs for spring. All named.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2012 1:03 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9304005

I grow them ,well because I like them ! I always have! Best reason of all. some always have a plant that has had that effect.
What is a dine greenhouse?I missed something there .! Name kinda makes me hungry though,. or maybe because it is because it is Saturday :-)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9304530

I had a productive day outside yesterday. I'm still working on planting and general cleanup. The bonfire from last weekend went a long way in the cleanup effort. Two stumps are still smoldering, and we'll be piling more limbs on top of the remaining ash pile today. It always amazes me how huge piles of debris are reduced to almost nothing. I love the smell of a bonfire in autumn, and it is a great way to get warm when you need a break from the chores.

I only had a few tender things to get inside before the low night temperatures. I'm happy to say that Chantell's plumeria and Gita's brazilian plume flower are now in the house after spending the summer outdoors. The plumeria is doing great, but no blooms yet - probably next summer. After Chantell gifted this to me two seasons ago, I did a little bit of research on them. Plumerias seem so low maintenance and are reported to have the most amazing fragrance. I don't remember any discussions on these in our MA forum - just wondering if anyone is growing these or not, especially since they seem so easy.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9304602

juhur7 wrote: I grow them ,well because I like them ! I always have! Best reason of all. some always have a plant that has had that effect.

That is the only reason to grow them..

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9306394

We had a nice soft rain today spanning a few hours, I was lucky enough to get out before it and treat all my iris with Grubx, that should take care of them till next spring. Speaking of grubs, we have skunks digging all over the turf after grubs. Leaving little divots in their wake. I guess it's time to get some milky spore and treat the lawn. BTW don't both to use both products for the same treatment the spore needs live grubs to work. Ric

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9306763

We have those divots too, Holly!! We did put Grub x down a last week, but I thought there might be moles or voles. I guess we should have used milky spore instead since the grubs are probably alive. I'll need to find out more about milky spore.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9306794

Hi Roses, I was just thinking about you this weekend while wondering what to do with my rose bushes. I only have three, all the same kind - a Polyantha from the Antique Rose Emporium called 'Mrs. R.M. Finch'. I have never spent any time on maintenance, and this rose over the years has been consistently disease free, with heavy bloom in spring, sporatic bloom in summer, and a repeat heavy bloom in fall. Now it is pretty tall with a lot of branching at the top, and I'm thinking I should probably prune it, but have no idea when nor how to do it. Do you have any advice to send my way?

Thumbnail by aspenhill   Thumbnail by aspenhill         

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9306814

Note that milky spore takes a few years to work -- and then it only lasts 10 or so years (in my experience). But when it is working, it works beautifully. Our yard has been badly dug up this year by (I think) raccoons -- but we haven't had this happen in a decade. So I just laid in a new supply of milky spore...

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9306854

Hi Terri, I think that one rule of thumb for ALL rose bushes is to prune them when they are dormant so that they don't try to push new growth when it is getting too cold. I'm not sure if each of your roses has different requirements as to pruning (do they bloom on new or old wood?). I haven't really ever got a handle on all the bushes that I grow. I just know that I hate when they're whipping in the winter wind looking that they will break, but I know that the climate here produces at least a foot of die back and I can't prune to low, so I feel that I'm between a rock and a hard place with them. Since yours bloom repeated and freely, I'm thinking that whatever you've done in the previous years seems to be working for them. If there are blooms on all the branches in spring, I would probably try keeping most of them, maybe with some support or a home made arch if need be.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9307105

Can any of you tell me what this plant might be? I'm kinda thinking a weed of some sort. The guy who owns the house had thrown wildflower seeds in part of the front yard and then just let it go, looks like a real mess now.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9307177

I have seen something like that growing around my bird feeders, some kind of millet? or something like that?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
3:22 AM

Post #9308618

Ric and Roses, a little bit about Milky Spore: This is actually a living organism, a spore. The way it works is: You apply the stuff 3 times a year for 2 years. This spreads, and encourages the growth of, a colony of living spores, in your lawn. The grubs come along and eat these spores and they die. The reason Milky Spore works so well, and lasts so long, is that it is a colony of living organisms, and when applied properly, that colony spreads and grows... think of it as people in a small town: when given optimum conditions, they will spread and grow and soon you'll have millions! Same thing with Milky Spore. It should last a really really long time, many upon many years. You don't "need" to have live grubs in your lawn for it to "work", those living spores will still sptead and colonize no matter what, if you do it right (apply according to packaging directions, and water it in). If you have no living grubs in your lawn this year due to Grub-X use, don't worry, you will next year... and by then, the Milky Spore colony have spread and will be ready for action! < =D
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #9308623

Speedie, I just applied milky spore for the first time this fall. I thought it had to be done in the fall, when the beetles are at a specific grub stage. Am I supposed to apply it in the spring and summer as well?
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9308725

No, you apply it once. Doesn't matter what time of year, though fall is great. Then it won't do much in the first year -- and frankly, may not do too much for you in terms of reducing the number of flying bugs if your neighbors aren't treating their yards. But the grub population in your yard will diminish over time -- I think it takes about 3 years to fully work, then it is supposed to continue to work up to 20 years (though in my case I think 10 years was more like it). You don't need to keep re-applying it (which is a good thing because it isn't cheap).

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9308740

Nothing like promoting the place I work-----
Home depot has always carried Milky Spore. It comes in a round "tub" about the size of a
coffee canister/can. Not sure on the price--but it is somewhere in the mid-upper $30 range.

OK. My info may be old...need to read up on this product and how it works...
I always thought that the spores, once they enter the body of a grub, multiply to the extent that the grub
explodes...releasing a zillion spores into the ground.

Is this wrong information? Here is a nice web site I just Googled.

http://homeharvest.com/milkyspore.htm

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9308758

Nothing like promoting the place I work-----
Home Depot has always carried Milky Spore.

OK. My info may be old...need to read up on this product and how it works...
I always thought that the spores, once they enter the body of a grub, multiply to the extent that the grub
"explodes"...releasing a zillion spores into the ground. I may be wrong...

Here is a nice web site I just Googled.

http://homeharvest.com/milkyspore.htm

I also checked the Home Depot.com site. Bring it up and search for the product. Bam! it comes right up.

The Milky Spore at HD comes in a 40oz container and costs $87.96 with free shipping.
Said this container covers 2,500 sq. ft. and ONE application lasts for 10 years, with NO re-application needed.
(I thought it also came in a smaller container...with the cost about $39--not sure. I can check)

http://www.homedepot.com/Milky-Spore/h_d1/N-51wZ5yc1v/R-202103823/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UIAN5me769s

Among the many states it cannot be shipped to is also DC.

Hope this helps some...Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9308796

According to my bag's "product information" section:

"apply spring, summer, and fall (Memorial day, July 4th, and Labor Day) for 2 consecutive years for best results. This will allow the maximum build up of Milky Spore in your soil. Effective control will then occur and continue on its own for several years and is guaranteed to work for 10 years after 6th application."

Also:

"Once the grub as ingested the spore it begins to multiply, just 1 spore will multiply into 3 billion new spores in each grub. After about a week the grub will die from the spores. As the grub decomposes it will release all of those billions of new spores back into the soil..."

That's what's on my bag. I've got the "old fashioned" one, a bag of powder that is applied with a spreader. There's a newer type out now though, a powder that is applied with a tube, and you make little 1-teaspoon-sized "piles" spread out every 4 feet, in a grid-like fashion. That one, the packaging says, can be effective if applied just once. I guess it just depends on which one you get.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9308817

I'm just using moles these days to get rid of the grubs. It is cheap and easy. It gives me a reason to walk around the garden. I've rid the yard of two this fall I think there are at least two more.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9308850

This company (this is the brand I bought), says only one application is needed: http://www.stgl.us/gstore/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=44&idproduct=4006.

This Q&A says NOW is the best time to apply it, and again, that only one application is needed. http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=768

You don't need the tube -- that is just to avoid bending down to put your teaspoon full of the stuff every 4 feet. It is really simple to put down.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9309018

Terp, LOL, you just use moles... hang on, I'll send you some of mine, you can use those too. < =D

Happy, anything that can save my poor old aching back, I'm all for it! =) I realy like the GA Q&A article, THANK YOU!!!
I've already put down 2 applications of the stuff, this past summer and just a few weeks ago, so I'm guessing that I'll just hold onto the rest of the bag to share with someone later. VERY happy to know I won't have to be putting it down again, (and again, and again) I have such a hard time remembering what I've gotta do... you should see my calendar... so full ya can't even see what day it is!! < =o heeheeheee
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9309183

Not just voles and moles but we have a Skunk that comes in every night and digs them up. You should see the mess it is making of the yard.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9309259

Speedie: I'd just be sure (and I don't mean to be cynical, but...) that the brand you are using is ok. You might google it. It was weird that the guarantee would only apply if you buy and apply their product 6 times. That smells fishy to me.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9309328

It smells fishy to me too----
Were these directions on thea actual "Milky Spore" product?
There are other, similar products...probably not as good...

Nothing like telling people they need to apply it 5 times to drive sales----that would be dishonest--
while other places say that once is enough for 10 years.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9309521

I thought of that too, but it's truly "St. Gabriel" Milky Spore. I'm thinking that the difference is, it's one of the 'old fashioned' bags of product, not the newly packaged and newly-labeled stuff. Let me see if I can find pics online to compare. Also, what I shared above is part of what's written on my bag. I'm guessing that there are new formulations or something, which is why now there are new application guidelines. For my product specifically, this is what the packaging says.

Hmmmmm, I have no buttons to click to upload images, so the pics will have to wait for another time. =( (I have text that reads 'Upload images to your reply", and " You may upload up to 5 images..." but there are no buttons to click to allow me to do so. Phewey!).

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9309522

Aaaaah, ok, I "refreshed" the page and now there's my "choose a file" button! Let's see... the first image is JUST like the bag that I have. Second and third are of what other product options are. (box and "mix", respectively).

Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean      

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9309779

There is so much information, much of it conflicting, as well as misinformation about milky spore out there. I just read the following: "Then there's Milky Spore Disease. Milky Spore is a disease that only affects white grubs. It won't hurt earthworms or even a bird that eats a grub that has the disease. Milky spore needs to be applied two or three times a year for three years to reach “epidemic” proportions in the soil. Milky Spore can be applied any time during the season but it's best to apply it and water it in right before dark. Milky Spore can be killed by sunlight so, you'll want to have it watered in with an inch of water before sunrise." See http://www.hewitts.com/Hewitts_Home/Grub_Control.html. I have no idea if this is true -- I haven't seen it before.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9309794

@ HollyAnn- lawn aeration, lol
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9309943

ROFLOL,
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9309963

I just got wood chip mulch delivered from College Park, and I'm really impressed with the quality and price (around $60 for 3 cubic yards, delivery included).

It's actually black and partially composted, and looks nothing like the cheap shredded hardwood mulch that comes in bags. In fact, the CP mulch is exactly the texture of "compost" that I pick up from Takoma Park. This is going to be *great* for my clay. :)

Terp said he was impressed with their compost, also. I'm done buying bagged mulch!

Speedie and Happy, I didn't realize I had to water in the milky spores after application. :-\ It wasn't until a couple of days later when I came across another article that I realized my mistake. I'm probably going to do another application in the spring.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9310136

Re: Milky Spore confusion

It is my understanding that milky spore comes in two forms, powder and granules. The powder is applied once, about a teaspoon full in a 4 x 4 grid pattern The granules are applied two to three times per year for 2-3 years, and are sprinkled evenly across the area. Both are watered in for at least 15 minutes after application to get the spores into the soil where the grubs are feeding on roots and may ingest them. Both work better if grubs are actively feeding and thus more likely to ingest the spores and become infected and die (releasing more spores) before reaching adulthood in May/June. Grubs feed most actively in the Fall while soil is still warm (60 degrees) As the soil temps cool, the grubs go deeper down for the Winter until they emerge as adults in the Spring.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9310324

I think we will be going with Grubex only this year. We have 2 acres of lawn to deal with. The 4 x 4 piles and the price seem a little over the top right now. All this information helped me to come to a single conclusion, finally. Thanks, All.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9310372

I just want to comment on the use of Beetle Traps, which I NEVER use--but used to...
Being inexperienced at the use of this product--years ago--I fell for the ads and bought some.
Oh, they were full of beetles and I had to empty them every other day. Then the "thrill" wore off.

People buy these traps with the lures and put them right by their rose beds and near other
plants the beetles seem to munch on thinking--"I'll get them where they congregate!"

Not all people read the directions for use---like have these traps 30 feet away and downwind from
your beds. Putting them near your roses or beds just attracts more beetles to them.
The traps are just "doing their job" . Right?
I have had very few beetles in the last years. Oh--I find some grubs here and there in my beds
as i dig--and dispense them with a firm squish.

Years ago, too many to remember, my then neighbor applied the Milky Spore to her lawn.
I like to think it is still working---somewhat.
It may also be that in these older neighborhoods and developments--like ours here--
the beetles just run out of plants to forage on.
The trees are all old--the shrubs are too mature and tough--no one, but me, actually has a garden
here...sort of, not the most inviting, munchable place any more.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9310696

Taking advantage of the WONDERFUL weather and doing some digging. Took out a couple bushes that limited the sight lines as we back out of our driveway. Taking out a small tree which has seemed half dead for a couple years (verticillium?) Little does Mark know I already have things needing to be planted IN those spots. Starting to rake leaves. Collected pine straw from neighbor to use as mulch.
Oh yeah- had to clean up the prickly pear cactus patch. It was hit last night by a sudden attack of rare disease-
Learners-illium permit-tii- the sixteen year old driver in training had cut the corner on backing out , before the corner arrived ROFL! Eh, it really was due to be cut back, before it started grabbing people.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9310706

It is suppose to be nice here beginning tomorrow for about 8 days,forecast 70's if it is, we get to finish cleaning ,mulching general fall chores. One final week of nice weather before BLAP!!! fall to winter comes to stay.? Until spring anyway.? We didn't get a spring this year, about 8 or 9 days it was like it was as I recall

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9310770

I too raked my leaves today. Two big piles. Sucked them all up with the shredder and
bagged 2 bags-full for future compost.
Not all of them are down yet--but 90%. I wanted to rake them up--as my lawn needs mowing--
and that would have been a waste of the leaves getting all mowed up.
Besides--everything was way too wet from the serious 2 or 3 downpours we had yesterday
evening and night. Wet...wet...wet...

Such a glorious day! Love this weather! Tomorrow the same--a blessing for the Susan Komen racers
here in Baltimore.

Most of my annuals are now pulled up, except a few Zinnias and Marigolds.
Bracing for tackling the Brugs. That Dr. Seuss is HUGE!!!! And--full of buds and blooms--again.
Will take a "Swan Song"picture when the time comes.
I have NO idea how i will be able to crawl under it to dig up the pot it is in and sever all the roots
that have grown out of the holes. This Brug is like a huge, low canopy!

Should I go out and take another picture?????? Why not?
1--Side shot of the Dr.
2--Straight on shot of the Dr. S. Brug. This bed is 12' long. The Dr. is gobbling up my Hydrangea bush...
all the pretty ferns behind it...and everything growing underneath it--long gone.
3--My 3 Mums on the steps--now in full color
4--The last Rose of Summer-- My "Tropicana"-- in my "YUK" bed. This Rose is really old.
It has one stem and is completely intertwined with big, fat tree toots underground.
5--My little buddy, Hamsah (the lion) next door. I see him seldom--the fence, you know.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9310783

I had to laugh heartily... "Learnersillium Permitii". HAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAAHAAA!!!!!!!!!!! Thankfully none of mine ever got attacked by that. Now they've been double-inoculated with "Grownupium" and "Movedoutii". =)

Gita, Fan-Shmabulous Mums!! YUMMY!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9310893

Forgot to point out---just behind the Mums, the green shrub, is my Bob Hope camellia--full of bloom buds.

All done re-growing, has had a year of NO blooming, and now is ready to carry on as usual.
I am just hoping that the leaf fungus problems will not show up again.
That is why I cut it down a couple of years ago.

picture from 2005.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9311112

Beautiful, Gita. I bought a tiny Camellia shrub this year. It's in a pot near where your Brazilian Plume Flower was (now in house blooming). My little Camellia has buds on it also!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9311201

Gita, My Brugs are inside, one is in the house blooming it's little heart out the other in the GH begging for a larger pot.
We have had some really beautiful weather but I haven't been outside much. Ric has had his hands full getting the new GH heater piped in and a pad for the tank to sit on. After so discussion we changed where we would sit the heater and then Ric came up with a great spot for the tank. Jamie said he would do the pipe work but couldn't fit it in before the tank delivery, (They are at BoyScout Camp every weekend in Oct.) So he did it all himself, He says he is getting too old for pipefitting. I have the cannas to dig and water plants to put to bed for the winter. Not to mention the plants that go into the new shade bed. Hope the weather holds a couple more weeks.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9311225

Great weather for working outside this weekend. After doing hardly anything in the gardens all summer, I am trying to catch up this fall. We've spent the last two weekends around back by the conservatory. Mike brought in some extra fill dirt, and finally got around to finishing the back fill. Then we outlined the area around the heat pump units with granite cobbles and filled in with white landscaping stone. We went to the stone yard yesterday and got 5 more of the Pennsylvania steppers to continue the stone steps now that the backfill is done. It feels so good to accomplish projects that have been an eyesore for a long time. He also brought in 5 yards each of topsoil, compost, and mulch to raise up another planting area next to the front steps. It was always so hard to get grass to grow there, so now I have a nice new place to put shade plants. I started with 5 different kinds of hellebores there, and some other misc things I picked up at fall plant sales. I'm inside for a little nap, some football, and then will head back outside in a couple of hours. Don't want to stay inside for long while we have this beautiful day!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9311557

Teri--Holly--and others...

HD is frantically trying to clearance out all trees, shrubs, perennials and Roses. All 50% off.

Tomorrow--I think they will be starting to erect the X-mas tree racking. Then------trees, of course!
That's all we need! Fresh trees before Halloween! By Christmas--they will be all half dry.

The weather this following week is supposed to be close to an Indian Summer...Enjoy!

I could dig my 2 smaller Brugs now--and trim them up--but the Dr. Seuss scares me! I is HUGE!

Again--I say--IF any of you want to have any stem cuttings to root of the Dr. Seuss--let me know now.
Will send it to you for postage.
I may root--maybe 6??--no more. Paul and Ruby have already put in for a few.

Gita

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9311562

Gita: I'd love a couple -- happy to send postage.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9312849

Thanks for the heads up on the HD sale, Gita. I'll try to get there as soon as the 2 GSs that I'm baby sitting here in South Jersey can go back to school during the day. If you have any Brug cuttings left, I would gladly try to root one. Teri (I won't be home until Monday, so please don't send it right away if you do have any)
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9312852

Roses, I went to 2 HD's yesterday, and they were already packing up their remaining trees and shrubs. :-/

It looks like I missed out on a major sale. I hope you have better luck in PA!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9312859

Got a bit more done yesterday. All the pots with cannas and other plants that need pulled are done. Next job is water garden plants and then digging the cannas & dahlias out of the ground. Might be in for some rain today but it looks like it is going to be a really nice week. They came yesterday and brought the propane tank for the GH.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9312861

I'm here in South Jersey right now. Hoping to check out the HD here soon. I'll be doing some of the same stuff when I get home on Monday, Holly.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9312915

Roses---

Since I only work one full day at my HD--I was not aware, earlier, of the 50% off sale. Sorry.

I have not yet dug up and cut back my Brugs. This week will be like summer--again prolonging this chore.
I added you, Roses, to my list. If you are not in the Address exchange--please D-mail me your address.

Paul--I guess i will see you at Sally's on Nov. 2nd????? If not--I need your address as well.
Even if I have not dug up my Brugs--I will cut off one of the main branches and cut it up for you.

My pink one and the small "Maya" are done blooming. Will not have any cuttings from the "Maya"--she is still small
enough to bring in as is. The pink NOID one--there will be a few cuttings available.

I think there is some cold weather coming our way this coming weekend. I might as well do the "butchering"
soon...BUT...the Dr. S. is now in full bloom...He/She won't miss one of the branches--if I have to amputate it.

Gita

Paul---Lookie here...and it is almost November! Just took these pictures...

1--Dr. seuss--doing her thing...
2--Pink NOID--all bare
3--Little Maya--still has buds on it.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal      

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 23, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9312958

Wow, lots of chores being done by so many. I just walk out, look at the mess of the yarden, and hang my head in shame and walk back inside the house. hahaha Robin, the "weed" you were asking for id for has taken up residence in my front bed also. As Holly or someone else mentioned, it must come in bird seed because the place it is growing mainly in my bed is directly underneath where our bird feeder sits.

I was telling someone earlier that I am pretty much dismayed over the condition of our place after neither of us doing much garden wise the whole summer. There has been talk of fall chore plans, but haven't yet seen much being done. I am almost beyond caring though it seems. With all the talk here of a nice weathered two weeks coming up, maybe something can be addressed then. Most of my energies of late has been on getting house plants inside and I haven't given too much thought to garden chores. I also spend a lot of time outdoors hunting and destroying stink bugs. Being down for a couple of weeks with pneumonia didn't help any as far as garden chores were concerned either.

It is my great hope that much of the front bed which went basically unattended this past year will be dug up, potted up and lots of the plants distributed at plant swaps next year. If a person were to visit, they would see several spots of potted plants numbering up in the hundreds. How the heck that happened I don't know. Here is wishing everyone good success on getting things done and put away for the winter, only to wait patiently for next spring when we can go at it once again with must zest.

Ruby
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9313253

Ruby -- you said you were down a "couple of weeks with pneumonia." It takes a long time to get your full strength back -- don't be hard on yourself! The garden can wait, and the nice thing about gardening is that the garden doesn't judge you -- and neither do we!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9313349

happy_macomb wrote: -- don't be hard on yourself! The garden can wait, and the nice thing about gardening is that the garden doesn't judge you -- and neither do we!

Ditto!
I have two brugs and a plumie to dig, but waiting till the bitter end, PLUS no time till Friday. ALL have buds!
Bulbs! Garlic! Leaves to rake for weeks still!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9314361

Ric and I cleared out the new Shade Garden today. Well Ric did most of the clearing out. The mixed evergreen area that provides privacy from the road has been in need of some work. A few years ago we had to remove a large Austrian Pine it left a huge whole in the group. So we replaced that with a Mahonia, a Rhodie, 2 Azaleas, a couple of Hydrangea, and a Blue Star Juniper. That area is growing in nicely. A few weeks ago we had to remove the blue spruce. We haven't replaced it yet, maybe a Concolor Fir or a Cryptomeria. So while we are working on this area there is the lower area that also needed some work. The White Pine was too close to the road and we had to limb up the lower area of the tree and there were some other branches from the Black Pine and Hemlock that also needed removed. It left us with a nice area for larger shade loving plants and shrubs. So today Ric cleaned out the myrtle and I planted the new azalea I got from UMD_Terp, the Endless Hydrangeas from Gita and a much desired Gold Dust Acuba. I am very excited to see how this new area will take shape.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS         

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9314378

Holly many more in the spring. It will be a kaleidescope of a backyard.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9314387

Thanks, It is the lower front yard. So it will put on a nice display for the neighbors driving by.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9314954

Holly and Ric nice work! Remind me in time for Spring Swap at Jan's that I have a few candidates that might go well in that area.

Wanted to let everyone know that I'm starting a thread called "Sandy's Coming"so we can keep our own eyes on this huge storm heading our way. I for one will be battening down some hatches and loose garden stuff rather than raking leaves or catching stink bugs!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285729/

Thumbnail by coleup

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9315073

Holly, the shade area is looking good. Isn't it the Concolor Firs that smell like citrus?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 28, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9317745

Holly, I am in real awe of the things that you and Ric seem to accomplish. Over the years it has been a real treat to hear about your ideas and then see them to fruition. All of your hard work has been worth the effort in terms of the beauty and tranquility of your place. That you two are such great human beings is icing on the cake. Continued success in all your endeavors.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9318043

Thanks Ruby, I am very pleased with how this area is progressing. Really it is a bit like taking lemons and making lemonade with them. The loss of the two large trees and the need to remove some other branches. All seemed like such a loss and now seem like a new start for that bed. Took me a few years to get over the loss and then I could take a good look at that area and see other possibilities.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9318169

I'm sure there are other things to do today in preparation for the storm. I had to dig all the caladiums something told me that my markers may disappear with all this rain. Oh well I only sliced one or two and couldn't locate two. Guess it was overdue...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9321913

Our own Sallyg has written an excellent Fall Garden check list!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3969

Thanks for pulling all that together! and, yes, I did notice the "plant garlic" entry.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9322071

; ^)
Hey Judy, get with Gita and tell her what time you'd like to show up.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9325848

Most of my fall garden chores were (hurriedly) completed prior to Sandys arrival. My usual mulching of plants will have to wait for leaf fall as most remarkably are still on my big oaks.

Am debating whether to feed the birds all winter this year. My usual practice is to do supplemental or emergency feeding as I don't want to attract birds because I care for a small colony of feral (well-fed) cats. Any thoughts? What do you all still have to do or are you declaring DONE?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9325867

I still have to dig up all my cannas.
About 6 different ones--PLUS the big Orange ones in my neighbor's bed.
She does not garden. I dug up these and saved them over the winter in my Shop
then planted them back in her bed.
Cannas can take a first frost. The roots like that nip.

I also still have to situate some overwintering pots of Cardinal flower and do something
to protect my 3 Black and Blue Salvias that are planted in beds.
I have saved a bag-full of leaves to do this. Last night was freezing temps here--
but then it will return to the 40's and 50's. One quick frost will not hurt these plants.

OH! A BIG job! I have to try to dig up, totally, my raised bed, which now is already full of Maple roots,
That really p----es me off...I knew it would happen--but not so soon.
Carolyn (DG Tomato expert) said I should turn the whole bed totally over, one shovel-full at a time,
to bury the Blight spores from this past summer. THAT is not going to be possible!!!
My neighbor offered me his Mantis Tiller to till up this bed.
I will give this bed one more try to plant some Tomatoes in, spray them weekly with Daconil
and see if it helps. That was another suggestion.

THEN---if the blight is still there--it will become a bed for more nice tall and hanging (over the edge) annuals.
I can always grow a couple tomato plants in pots.

Hmmm--then I still have to, generally, clean up the beds and mulch this and that...
Also--have to put away all mt patio chairs and bench and all the cushions.
Won't have time for any of this until after Thanksgiving...

Judy--I have been feeding my birds since early fall. My feeder hangs under my Patio roof
and no rain or animals can get to it. Very protected.
Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9326062

Gita: Are you able to overwinter your Black and Blue Salvias outside?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9326334

Gita, here's a question about Cannas: Do they HAVE to be dug up, bulbs dried etc... or can they be left in the soil, cut back, and then be kept in the greenhouse and not watered over-winter? This is what BossMan has directed with our potted Cannas, to be left in the pots, in the greenhouse cut back, and a sign hung on them "DO NOT WATER". Should that be ok for them for over-winter?

Meanwhile, I've got just about every darned thing to do outside. =( I pulled up into the driveway after work today and realized my yard looks awful. If it doesn't snow tomorrow like I hear it's supposed to, I'm gonna be outside at least for a little while in the morning doing SOMETHING. I don't think I wanna work on leaves yet 'cause more are just gonna keep falling... then again, I've got a blower now, maybe I could go outside and play with that!?!? < =D Yeah, probably a good idea. Anything out there would be better than nothing out there, it looks just plain ol' sad sad sad everywhere.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9326469

Susan--

Yes--that will be Ok. They will still dry up and go dormant--but may grow faster and better
in the next year because the roots were not messed with.

Your boss should know...

From what O have learned over the years, and from other gardening Gurus is this:
Allow the tops to be frozen off by a frost.
Cut them back to about 6" or so. Gives you a "handle" to hold on to when you dig them up.
Wait 2 more weeks after the frost--and then dig up the roots. Gently bump off the extra soil, but not all of it.
Allow to air-dry and store in a box in a cool place. DO NOT use plastic!!! Do not water.
Covering the roots by some crumpled up newspaper of dry peat moss is OK.
In the spring--you will see the red pips start to grow. The old soil will be hard as a rock--
but be careful--as the long roots will break easily. You want at least 3 "eyes" to every division for a nice plant.

Plant in spring--about 3" deep from the top of the pips.

Hope this helps...Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9326706

Well, knowing BossMan, there will be no digging up or transplanting of any sort, his plans will probably go a little something like this: (by the way, they are in 2-quart sized pots)

1: Cut the plants back to about 6" tall (that's done already)
2: Leave them in the current pots (that's done already)
3: Leave them in the greenhouse UN-WATERED all winter long
4: Come spring, when they start showing signs of growth, start watering again, then put them back outside to sell.

PERIOD. That's just a guess, but I'd bet my boots that's his idea. So, I guess only time will tell if that will work. =/
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9326745

Speedie
that's how The Boss Couples I have worked for did things with cannas, bananas, elephant ears, brugs and other tropicals and tender perennials. We didn't wait for frost/freeze to kill off tops, but did cut cannas back to 3 inches or so.

We left the pseudo stem of bananas as tall as possible because we had the room to store them upright or horizontally on the lower benches

Yep, no watering as the dry plus cold sends them into semi dormancy til we and warmth wake them up in spring. They do not need light but do need temps between 40 to 50 degrees at night to maintain dormancy til they can safely be returned to active growth.

We called it "running a cool greenhouse". If temps are kept 50 or above they will start to grow again. and they will need moisture and food! While semi dormant is a good time to divide and repot just prior to waking up.

I think that cannas regrow or resume growth from tubers and will grow new roots. Taking care not to injure the roots and tubers is best practices for minimizing disease and rot. Some who dry their tubers pre storage sprinkle them with cinnamon!

We had 8 greenhouses. 2 were not heated thru winter, but then could be heated in spring to break deep dormancy of those plants (crepe myrtles) stored within. 2 held potting soil, pots etc, a backup generato and garden tractor and wagons, 4 were filled with semidormant stock plants and were primarily only heated at nite to hold temps at 40 or just above freezing. 1 small house was kept at 50 at night and housed the water plants and bananas and some mother stock coleus.

The main greenhouse was maintained at 50 degrees and was outfitted with benches where bottom heat could be provided as well or several benches could be set up as mini greenhouses within the larger to provide warmer/moister micro climates.

Will your Boss Man run a cool house or a hot house for the winter?

Judy

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9326872

Hmmmm, that's a good question. It should be relatively "warm" just for a week or two while we have Poinsettias, but then it'll be cool for the remainder of the winter. Around 40 degrees sounds about right, after all the Poinsettias are gone.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9326901

Ooooh Pointsetias! A Plant Merchandizer's dream (me)!!! I love the minis and the pale colors and the real reds. What fun you will have!

Just a hint...since pointsettias are easily damaged by cold shocks and dry heat, I tried to save any of their shipping sleeves (paper or spun fiber) for customers to use for the transport home and the possibly long wait in the shopping frenzy parking lots. Watch out for those ubiquitous foil covers and watering!

Wow, I feel like I just took the express train into The Season!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9326918

I am at work---

Guess what i just saw in the houseplant section?
That beautiful, dark-leaved Calathea.with the amazing mrkings that Sally has.
The one we all wanted cuttings/divisions from.

Well--there are 2-- 8" pots in our GH--of the very same. $20---a bit steep...
Nice and full and healthy.
Maybe those of you that really, really wanted this one--can high-tail it to
your HD and see if they got some as well.

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 7, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9327454

Good eye Gita- it is this one
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/128778/
if anyone wants a look.
It's been a very easy happy plant for me, not finicky the way I thought prayer plants ( a cousin) would be.
I wanted to say it is slow growing but then again, mine got big enough to take a division this spring and fill back in over summer so actually, its growing well. It just doesn't hang all over the place like a well growing viny thing would. Stays tidy, leaves get larger. Mine is n eight-9 inch pot, I guess some of those leaves are now a foot long.

THat was interesting insight into greenhouse operations.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
3:40 AM

Post #9327623

Ooooh it's very pretty!! I've never seen those before, and now of course I want one. ;) (thank you for that link, Sally!)

Judy, oh yes Ma'am, we always save the sleeves the Poinsetias come in for transport. And I know only too well the peskiness of making sure all the pot-covers are off all the pots, then put a dish under all the pots, and only then can I water them all... wait about an hour, dump the dishes, wait about another hour, dump them all again, and THEN I can put the pot-covers back on. Heeheeheeeee And for goodness sake, BE CAREFUL WATERING!!! LOL!!!! < =D Oh the joy, I really do love it!!!!!! I don't think we're going to have the greenhouse full this year like we've had in previous years, which is a shame, 'cause I do love to spend hours out there watering the hundreds of Poinsetias. I will miss that.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9327771

Sally--YES! it is that plant...How pretty!

I asked the Bell person if most HD's get in the same stuff--and she said "Yes"...
She also said that IT IS, ACTUALLY, AN AGLEONEMA. Do you agree, Sally?
So--Get Thee to the nearest HD. We only got in two. Must be in scarce supply.
I never buy new plants--but I may just have to dish out the $20.

Re watering Poinsettias--Geesh! I could write a book here...(looks like I did...)

Now--picture the gadzillion racks of Poinsettias a HD receives--every week...
Of course, our store being a very low-volume store--I can just imagine what the bigger ones get!

Before the Bell Nursery days--I was, usually, in charge of all the Poinsettias--as well as lots else.
I used to slip off the sleeves and stack them over my arm. Then slip this fat tube of sleeves somewhere
between the plants on the cart, "inviting" customers to take one as they bought a plant. NAH!

Of course--theat made the racks look all messy and the "powers that be" said to get rid of them all.
I fussed and fumed--and almost had verbal fights with my superiors--after all--
what did THEY know about plant care???

We also used to have a 3-tier, monster stand (1/2 way up the racking) built out of plywood in
front of the main entrance--and poinsettias were displayed on it--hundreds of them!
I still had to water them all--and all we had was the smaller watering cart with the tank that held
20 some gallons of water. We still have it...Sometimes I was up there teetering among the red...
Anyway--I spent DAYS taking care of this display--refilling it, culling it, sweeping up all the leaves that fell, etc...
I was still full time then...so--all week long. Besides--caring also the GH!
They did not build this for too many years. It was too unkempt and not all that inviting...
Eventually--there were only all the carts.
Management bitched and moaned when I tried to position some of the Poinsettia carts throughout the store.
I mean--I had a serious, ongoing disagreement..but they said "NO!--Cant block this or that!"
So all the carts went into the GH--in the heat...or scattered in the Inside Garden aisles.
We are only one of 4 HD's here that have a GH. A BONUS! The plants thank us...
They no longer build them. Our store is the second oldest in this area. 21 years--and going.

Fast forward about 6-7 years--to bell Nursery days--(Judy? How long have they been in charge???)
ALL Poinsettias now stay on their carts, sleeves ON, and seldom watered. An impossible job!

My previous manager was always bitching--"Go water the Plants!" He was so scared
HIS superiors would come in and see a dry or dead plant.. This is |"my" Donn I am talking about!
He managed out of fear of his neck...Very paranoid...
I used to take one cart at a time into the GH (hose available) and remove each pot from the cart
to the floor to water it. It is impossible to water them on the carts--as I would have to get all the 'blooms" wet.
A big NO-NO!!!

To be honest--It is much better that the Bell people are in charge.
In this respect--I am happy to be sitting in my boring "cage" and answering the hone.

BTW--Have you noticed lately that ALL HD are tearing down the Service desk, the front area, and the walled in
Phone centers and re-doing the whole look?
Service Desks will be moved as will returns--and I may end up sitting at one of the stations
in Kitchens and answering the phones. Hate that thought!
I have gotten so used to all the hubbub at the front--people and managers coming in, sitting down and working
on the other computers. Someone to chat with a little bit. See and hear what is going on...

Who knows WHERE I will be sent...not happy at all...Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 8, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9327810

I had to laugh at Speedie's report of what needs to be done in her yarden. I have the same report as yourself speedie. We really haven't done much in terms of cleaning up from the summer and so there is lots to do, or what often happens here...doesn't get done. Yeah, the threat of Sandy put the motivation in most of us to do some things that we might have waited a bit on, but since then not a whole lot of thought has been given to things outside...what do they say...out of sight, out of mind. With the lower temperatures and me not feeling quite on top of the world, I have stayed inside for a while and only ventured out on Tuesday afternoon to vote.

I am reminded each time I look out of living room window that the Elephant Ears from Coleup need to be dug up and over wintered somewhere. Hopefully I can talk the official digger upper in to doing that this weekend. I put away another EE that I received from Ric and Holly yesterday along with some Calla from Donnerville. I believe there are still several Canna in the back garden that need to be dug up too. With the temperatures lowering by the minute it seems that sooner for digging up will be better than later, due to my motto of wanting to be safe rather than sorry.

To those of you who have already straightened and taken care of most of your yarden maintence, my hat is off to you. Have fun all.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9328650

After the frost has done its work we just lift our cannas place them in flats and store them in Josh's basement, it has a dirt floor and stone walls so low temps and stable humidity do a really good job of keeping them. Ric
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 9, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9328668

We have a crawl space under our house Ric. It has been a good place to store some things and not so good for others. I believe I have heard John say that some of the things we have lost were mainly due to being too close to the heating system. Sounds like Josh's basement is ideal for you needs. Thanks for the input.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9328734

Gita- I am sure you know what you are looking at. Either that person is misinformed (very possible) or your eyes deceive you (I do not believe this) It grows many shoots from the surface, like a Calathea or Maranta, all those rhizomey things, etc, ; the Ags as you know tend to just the sticks that are planted in there, with leaves up the stalk. . If I can get to my HD I will check it out. I am happy that my closest HD does still have a greenhouse. And Lowes is newer but has a tiny space.

Although- LariAnn did write about new Ag hybrids coming to production. Here is a link, but none look like Rattlesnake to me
/photos/14676023@N06/sets/72157602296385921/

My yarden task today
is just enjoy the sun some way!

I finally got some pansies planted , and got them at a slight discount by being so late. Bright yellow for front pots, marooon for by the driveway. THe driveway ones will bloom all winter as long as it is mild. I'm sure there is pruning to do somewhere. I have a hedge to tidy up.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9328780

Sally, the plants that I have seen at my greenhouse equiped HD are the same as yours, :"Rattlesnake Calathea" not as the Bell rep told Gita an Ag.

Here are two links. Says can divide in spring!
http://marcolange.me/calathea-lancifolia-rattlesnake-plant/
http://www.logees.com/Rattlesnake-Plant-Calathea-lancifolia/productinfo/R2305-4/

Sorry, didn't check price.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9328877

Yes that is exactly it! Like I said, I was positive Gita knew and the Bell person could have been wrong. Hmph!
Thanks for the care link to remind me on proper care. I DO plan to divide in spring! Whether wrestling or cutting. It had some tough roots. Mine will be 'priced right' (free) for my Swap buddies!! As the one site said, it does not get brown edges at all in the house. Looked good all winter.
My Canna has not frosted yet but Coleus have melted.
It is nice out! We're going to take the mutt to a park.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9328892

lol Sally. Believe me, plant merchandizers are not hired for their knowledge of plants and their care or growing details or even names, let alone prices...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9328895

Yup !
Cuz if they were, there'd be almost nobody to hire!
I am tickled to have found ONE guy at my Lowes who knows plants.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9328920

Thanks for the links---coleup!

I copied out 2 copies--and will pass one off to the bell girl. She is my favorite! her name is Sue.
Had suspicious, possibly per-cancerous nodules in her breasts last year--so she just had both
her breasts removed rather than look forward to all the stuff to come if they were to turn cancerous.
She is fairly young and very vigorous. A great asset to have her working the plants at our store.

Was out for the summer and then came back hard working as ever. She is one good. hard worker.
She is the one that said it was an Ag. Will give her one of the print-outs.

If I can tear myself away from this computer--my plan is to go outside and dig up all the Cannas.
Tomorrow--i will take part in a Craft Fair with a couple of old buddies...(A he and he).
They invited me to share their spot. it will be tight! I did not realize all that I had laying around
until i started organizing and boxing things up. It is ALL Christmas stuff--ALL hand-made...
NOT lately--but over the past years.

Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9329262

I did get some outside work done today. Got the mowing and some mulching done, and started cleaning the beds out front, I'm hoping to add a couple inches of compost to them before bad weather, that's the only downside of using a lot of organic material, as it breaks down you lose volume.
I started cutting foam panels for the north side of the GH, the cold radiating from the glazing was causing the heater to cycle too much making temps go higher than I want (50*F at night), and burning excessive amounts of fuel.
I was going to tell Holly, "Ain't no sunshine while she's gone" but today was a beauty, and the weatherman says more good stuff is in the forecast. Doing a happy dance. Ric

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9329273

Well--
Did not get to digging up the Cannas----saw too many other things to do--so it becomes
a matter of priorities. Cold hardiness--if you wish. The Cannas can wait. More balmy days coming...

Pulled up a bunch more annuals. Did not realize they were still there...raked some leaves...
"Buried" in some pots of tender perennials...piles of dried leaves on top.
Cut back a couple Mums, and tagged all the stems of the cannas to be pulled up so I know what color they are.
By then, the sun was sliding downhill and it got chilly.

Loaded up my car for the Craft Show tomorrow and came in...
And--that's what i did today! Not even worth posting...G.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #9329444

Quoting:I was going to tell Holly, "Ain't no sunshine while she's gone" but today was a beauty, and the weatherman says more good stuff is in the forecast. Doing a happy dance. Ric

HA! That stuff in the sky is just the silly superficial stuff, that doesn't count, but of course you already know that. We know where your REAL Sunshine is... is she home yet?? < =D

Ruby, and I have YET to do any of those things, tooooo! < =/ **hang my head in shame**. It's either rained, or I've been working. I'm just about at the point where I'm gonna say "The heck with it" to mowing the lawn... just about. We'll see what the weather is like on Monday. I worked my dupa off the last 2 days at work, clearing off all the outdoor tables at work... first cleaning up/cutting back the perennials (or as some of our customers call them, "pre-annuals", heeheeheee), then hauling them inside into the greenhouse and organizing them by genus and watering need. My back is gonna fall off. Last night had to do the grocery shopping after work, so once again, NO time to get anything done in the afternoon, got home at dark:thirty PM. Working this weekend, today 8-5, and the way my back is feeling, my FRONT may fall off after the back does. =/ The upside is, I have no in-store backup on the weekends, so I'll HAVE to stay inside to man the register all weekend. =)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9329481

Our lawn got cut last weekend. I don't think Mark is keen on doing it again this year. It sure makes quick work of the leaves though

Gita has a lovely morning for the craft fair. Ric has a lovely morning for being distracted from the absence of Lil Miss Sunshine tee hee

Suze- holy smokes!

I didn't get anything done yesterday yarden wise. I read something from DG writer Sharran who said she was going to cut back in the garden but the flowers said "Not, yet, no!" I think mine are always saying that. Or they're always saying "Just come sit with us, enjoy us, let's party and not work!"
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9329516

Heehee. I have been procrastinating something horrible. Mustmustmust get out there and actually do something.

Now, I will be singing that song all day. Lol.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2012

Post #9329682

Holly Sunshine is due in Philly around 9something, coach to Lancaster, and drive home. I would guess she'll be in just http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szRNqPBmqDw LOL Ric

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9329790

There ya go Jan, another song for you!
Cool 'Ric', 'E' ric C is a fave since he and I had that thing ya know and he wrote about me...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EivR78mrRFE

Man did I work today. Cleaned a lot of the shed, stacked pots, organized, threw out a little bit of stuff, not enough LOL. Trimmed the hedge and raked one side up. Arranged pine needles around some plants. Bit of potted plant "work" (play!) . Told Mark he will be quite pleased to see the shed but not the dinner table. Certain tradeoffs are to be expected in life!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9329841

Hmmmm, Pillow talk with Slowhand*, intriguing. Must be a little Walter Mitty in all of us. LOL
I spent the day putting the corral back together after having to tear it apart the other week for our gas tank delivery. We had to remove a section of fence and the coal bin to build the pad and facilitate placement of a 100 gallon cylinder. I also got a little more of the greenhouse insulated along with the regular chores. Now, I've got to get in the house and clean up the bachelor pad before Holly gets home. :>} Ric

*Eric Patrick Clapton was born March 30, 1945, in Ripley, Surrey, England.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9329844

Oh noes, you're not gonna be serving pelletized lime for dinner, are you Sally!?!? Eeep! ;) "Here Mark, a "Pot" of soup!!" LOL!! (never mind the drainage hole at the bottom...)

I got to play with LOTS of customers at work today, does that count!? < =D

Thank you Ric, now I'll have that song stuck in my head for a few days... guess it's better than "I'm a little teapot"... don't ask. < =x An early WELCOME HOME HOLLY SUNSHINE!! < =D Lots of prayers for a safe ride home!!

Odd, the computer ate the rest of my (intended) post. :( Now I don't remember what all else I'd typed! Double :(

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 6:13 PM

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9331020

One down, a million to go. Got the lawn mowed/leaves mulched (all at the same time) this morning and it kicked my dupa, so now I'm all done. (this getting old stuff is for the birds!). Wondering... the bag is off the mower, so the lawn got mowed/mulched and is all scattered about -- thinking (lazily) I should just leave it all there to decompose for over-winter to feed the lawn's soil. Good idea, right!? (she asks pointedly). ;)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2012

Post #9331170

LOL, The Golden Years are here at last...The Golden Years can kiss my @ss.
Quote heard from my dive buddy last week. I agree with my dive buddy. LOL
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9331191

When we planted the new shade beds around the Evergreen Grouping I forgot to plant the Oak Leaf Hydrangea. I also have a few plants to get out of the ground. Ones that could take some cold weather but can stay there. Canna, Dahlia and I have a few bulbs that still need to get into the ground. Firewood Ric and I need to split and some more clean up around the beds. Ric got a good bit done last week. We are slowly getting there.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9331196

Sounds like that would make a dandy Burma Shave sign!

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/burma1.htm

You can search by year here:
http://burma-shave.org/jingles/

One I remember:

Spring
Has sprung
The grass has riz
Where last year's
Careless drivers is
Burma-Shave

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9331242

speedie- I say yes those shredded leaves are good for the lawn, as long as they are not clumping and matting down.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9331474

I always liked looking for the Burma shave signs. Love that one, coleup

I say yes, too, on leaving the chopped up leaves on the grass. had a couple of helpers today in the yarden. 8 and 6 yr old. Didn't get as much done as I would have liked, but we found some cool worms.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9331489

Would you believe I actually remember the 1963 if our road signs.. and...a shave. From a while ago in the west !lol

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 13, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9331797

Great link Judy, I actually remember a FEW of those from aeons ago.. driving across country from CA to PA to visit the grandparents... well, Dad was driving, I was just a little tyke back then. :)

I'm happy to report that I left no matting or clumping of leaves n' stuff after mowing yesterday; I went over the yard twice so everything is very finely chopped and scattered about quite evenly. Good thing too, 'cause I woke up to rain this morning! I was actually contemplating just waiting until today or tomorrow to mow, but that "that little voice" told me yesterday morning "Nooo, go out and do it now!", so I did. Thank you Lord! =)

Jan, your little helpers sound like great little helpers to me! Who can pass up a chance to find cool worms in the yard? < =D
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 16, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9334574

Sally...may I ask you to please start a part two of this thread? One of these days I may learn to do it, but for now I hope you will oblige us.

Lots of laughs here today...mostly from Ric. Holly, so glad that you made it home safely and I am sure had a delightful time. I have always envied your sense of adventure...to heck with old age ya'll...won't be getting me down any time soon.

John and I worked most of the day on Monday blowing and sweeping leaves off the front deck. I also formed blisters on my right hand from using a popsicle stick to clean between the deck boards which were full of leaf debris and dirt. Upon awakening on Tuesday we see that much of our efforts were in vain due to the rain on Monday evening putting almost as many downed leaves back on the deck as the day before. Finally had the EE's and other Cannas and such dug up in order to dry and be put away for the winter.

On Sunday I spent most of the day addressing a tall cabinet on my deck which was turned over during the storm a while before. I left it sit while the temperatures were cool, but Sunday was a really beautiful days outdoors and I had no excuse. I found five or six broken vase types of things, but thankfully nothing important or sentimental was damaged. Said cabinet will now be attached to side rail with some sort of hooks or something to prevent another wind gust turning it over.

Since the weekend is upon us, I want to take the opportunity to wish everyone an extra special one. I encourage you all to do some enjoyable things along with the chores you might have. See you next week folks.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9334739

I've been raking a little every day but still have lots of leaves falling- I know what you're going through there Ruby!

Chatting along next at
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1288029/

This message was edited Nov 16, 2012 3:05 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America