Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Springtime in the BRUGMANSIA garden..

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 149, Views: 1,133
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 22, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9283341

Starting a new thread with another photo of Tintarella with petal tips tucking.

Only a couple of people have asked me for seeds of FFA X Fernando and FFA X Mango Cornet. Have heaps of these so if anyone wants any please D mail me.

Dianne.. Finally picked the first pod today of Fernando X PP(fasciation pollen). Will let it dry out a few days and extract the seeds. Should be able to post seeds to you sometime next week.

Allan

We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1279268/

This message was edited Sep 22, 2012 9:56 PM

Thumbnail by boolarong204
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 22, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9283445

Thankyou Allan, sorry I have visitors (again) people tend to go for Country drives on these lovely Spring days and we are on the main road.

We came from here with thanks to all the contributors ^_^
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1279268/

Allan she is only half tucked up yet, unless she performs differently in warmer temps, here she was on frosty mornings opening a pale lemon and tanning up as she tucked up those skirts and morphed into a star face.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 22, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9283472

Lovely to see 'Tintarella' doing her thing! Thanks for the feedback Allan. I will be sending Alistair a few cuttings tomorrow - it will be interesting to see how she goes at MM.
Great day here in Sydney!

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 23, 2012
12:44 AM

Post #9283652

Lovely pics of Tintarella, nice little thing...
Thanks Allan, I will look forward to the FxPP seeds, they will probably produce something pretty regardless of the fasciation aspect.
The Pink Panther flowers have been white up until yesterday and now the colour is starting to show, thank goodness...lovely to smell them again too...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9283714

hi there all, it looks like 'Tintarella' is showing off as her skirt is flicked up in the air. nice to read about each experience with her, me im not that much of a fan of that type of bloom being fully tucked back but that's my chose and probably change when i develop one like it hahahaha

I went to a friends place today and on the way i stopped at a public garden that i knew had AT in and found 3 different varieties 1: Knightii 2:aurea 3:?OA?
i got cuttings from aurea & ?OA?
here is the pic of aurea(footscray) i coined it (footscray) because that is where i found it like most of my others

so am i right that Dianne, Jean & myself are the aurea collectors?????? i will have a few for you girls soon

Dianne love how PP is setting his color as the days get warmer my PP is getting bigger with every day

This message was edited Sep 23, 2012 11:34 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan      

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 23, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9284136

Very pretty. Shaun.
There is no mistaking the cheeky aurea face, is there ?

You are so lucky being in a place where you can chance on different brugs.
I have never seen one anywhere that I have been in this area , just the knightiis at Portland.

Yes , I love all the aureas and have been buying OS brug seeds with aurea genes.

Between us we should have plenty of variety.

My brugs are on the move again today as I gradually get them all out of the corners they have been in during winter.

My pods are still hanging on but looks like it may still be a while until they ripen.

Seeds (if any) will be available later.

Mango Cornet is still flowering and GHA is getting ready for his next huge flush.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 23, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9284169

Was that Footscray Park? Shaun...you should have seen it years ago...only about two thirds are left...we lived nearby and it was such a beautiful place...in my mother's time when the Melbourne Cup was on, crowds of people would sit on the hill and watch the cup from there...
There is a Henry Lawson bust there and his appreciation society used to meet for poetry readings...

Now you're going to tell me that it wasn't the Footscray Park...lol...and yes, you, Jean and I are the Aurea collectors...
I like the look of that aurea too, I think I need to make a trip to my cousin's, she lives 10 mins away from the park...

Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 23, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9284185

I love the Aurea too , but then I love the many differences in the Brugs. If we all loved the same things it would be such a boring World. Tintarella is a very cute little Brug to my eye, however that Star face may not be your cup of tea Shaun ^_^ it is very different to all of my Brugs so far, I just imagine a bunch of those star faces looking down at me later when she is bigger.

Well it's Monday and once again I have to fill in for an absentee so ...hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go.

Have a beaut day everyone hope you get to enjoy the garden !

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9284244

Dianne yes it is Footscray park and i know it well, there are only a few (3)plants there these days i also remember 15 years ago there were like 30-40 plants but the majority of them were Knightii but over the years i have been watching them and when i notice that there is some thing different i get a cutting, i have got enough cuttings if all take i will have 3 plants which i will send you & Jean one each.

If you are going to go to that garden the plants are up near the tafe collage.
sorry that there are not that many aurea's around the area that you live but im sure that in the back streets of Geelong there would be a few im sure as it is an older area and many places look like they could have them. I remember a Nursery out that way called Wallingtons they had many and Unusual plants we used to travell there every 3-4 months because of that reason only.

Hope every one is having a productive day looks like the sun is out hitting all plants and getting them strong and healthy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 23, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9284465

That lovely nursery at Wallington was sold and closed about 8? yrs ago, Shaun...it was just like a park itself, wasn't it...do you remember the huge metal stork statues that stood in the little lake?...someone stole them before the property was sold and the police could never figure out how they got them out of out of the water...
Needless to say they were never recovered...

You are quite right about Geelong having Brugmansias in the back streets, there are lots of them there and Queenscliff...especially Sanguineas...
My Iochroma has flowered all thru winter, I cut it back the other week and it's flowering again...very rampant grower...
Dianne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 23, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9284494

Beware the Iochromas, Dianne...lol

Yes , mine flower all the time and are such huge growers.
It must be nearly time for another chop chop on mine.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2012
12:10 AM

Post #9284531

You Southerners sound like you are having fun ...all those Iochroma and coldies etc.

Here where I am it is now quite warm already, much more normal for Australian Spring than the last 3 or 4 years.
The Brugs are waking quickly now, but due to the extra cool and overcast Winter they are way behind compared to the previous years. I always had a show for the long weekend but I estimate at least a month to six weeks before we get flushes here.
Jean and Shaun did you still want Axelrose ? sorry but I don't know who has what now, so let me know if you do.
The big trunks on Maya that were Plain leaved will have their flushes in a few weeks, I am looking forward to that.

It's so great to see the Winter grown seedlings growing happily outside in the dappled shade, I fed them some dilute Seasol yesterday and I could see the difference overnight. I know they will rocket away now ...it was great Winter fun and very educational.
EA x PS x ? seeds have popped up already (planted the day after I shipped yours out ) of course I am anxious to see my own doubles popping up (planted 3 days later) ...today I can see those little tiny hills you get in the soil before the eruption of the little green arch.

I hope everyone is having a great time in their garden, I missed mine today

chrissy ^_^
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 24, 2012
12:41 AM

Post #9284534

>Lovely pics of Tintarella, nice little thing...< Seachanger.

Thank you Dianne for your positive feedback. We will wait and see how she goes. So far so good regarding form, colour, fragrance, P&D resistance. Performance in different climate zones will be interesting to monitor. I guess like all of our new cvs., only time will tell.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #9284540

Chrissy thank you but you have already sent me a cutting of Alexrose so im not in need of it!

talking about the ((winter V spring)) seedlings i think that planting mine in august is better then any that i sowed in the winter the difference is astonishing well for me any way. so it looks like ill be sowing majority of my seeds in the last month of winter AUGUST

the seedlings are already up to there 3-4 sets of true leaves and the trunk is starting to harden of which the winter ones are a little weak and need to be kept in for protection but i do put them out during the day when im home

Dianne such a shame that Wallington's closed down i got a purple leaved Yucca from there and have only just got it named how funny that thing change but stay the same

Edited to add thread to BLOG
http://brugmansiaworld.blogspot.com.au/

This is every thing i have with out the germinating seedlings

This message was edited Sep 24, 2012 7:27 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9284542

I thought you lost it ...that's good.Yes the Winter seedlings are really such a revelation. I will start Winter veggies next Winter now I see what can be done.
If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it.

Sad to see so many places gone ...it's the way of the World.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 24, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9284618

Chriss, I dont have Axelrose, just one cross seedling. Love to have a piece if you have spare.
thank you.

Looking forward to seeing my little Tintarella show her stuff here.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9285244

Ok Jean ^_^ no worries.

Must get out there before it gets too hot, yes more Sun. Very dry. Typical Aussie weather, I haven't seen it for a few years now.
Guess it will be a challenge keeping everything watered this year. I have almost forgotten what endless watering feels like.
Enjoy your morning everyone !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9285395

Soaking more today (so excited) More more more ...(utter madness) ^_^

Hazelnut Buttercup x LBG
Creamsickle x Super Spot
Creamsickle x LBG
Phanomenal x Luminosa x Charleston
Sam x Birgit (so loving that Birgit)

I am doing them in manageable groups.

Found three of my TT x Heart of Gold seedlings have popped up (Of course that is a huge thrill !)

What babies are you soaking right now/ or are popping up?

Allan 'Frilly Dilly' is racing away,
The Pink Buck's Fizz type cutting from Wayne is shooting from beneath the medium (thought that one had been taken by frost)
Spring is so amazing in the Brug Garden ...the sticks are coming to life !
Of course not all are sticks, but so many were, I think it was due to lack of Sun and so much rain in the cold that did it, I was very concerned re rotting roots with cold wetness. This is where the sand saved the plants I am sure, however I will pay the price in drought ...mucho watering !
I have had the best morning, soaking seeds, planting seeds and seedlings.

Also planted:
Black Hungarian chillies, Kale, Tommy Toe tomatoes, more of the Italian Giant Italian Parsley (you can never have enough),Swiss Chard,Spaghetti squash, zucchini, more lemon, lime and cinnamon basil, green zebra tomatoes,cape gooseberries and blah blah blah.
Sorry I get carried away ...as we all know, it's a long way from seed to the final outcome, but gosh it's exciting isn't it ?
Enjoy your day !
Go little Bruggies go !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 24, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9285542

Hey Shaun and everyone look what Edna found over at BGI ^_^

I have seen this name up in the trades I think ...wanting to swap Elderberry seeds or something like that.
I think they are laughing over USA way ...Old Apricot is very rare you see :)
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/23898-great-ebay-find/

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
2:07 AM

Post #9285663

Chrissy i saw that about 2 weeks ago and with the other colors ie:all RARE
so is this what i have to do to get them to sell better in the future?????

and to send OS what a load of crap

i still will add a few varieties as they come throw and i do cuttings that is if it's OK with the person that i have got the plant from ie:breeder

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 25, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9285710

Well I suppose it's rare if you don't know Brugs.
Rare are the ones not out there ^_^

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 25, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9285734

Just shows what people will do to sell something..
I have seen numerous plants on eBay that are "rare" .

One example I saw a few years ago was a grass that grows like a weed everywhere I have seen it...paspalum.
Another was a person selling about 5 seeds of the ' rare ' common nasturtium

Shaun, maybe you need a blue brug , just like the blue rose I saw on eBay a few months ago.

I am still surprised to see people actually believing & buying these...lol

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 25, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9286246

Good morning all you Brug Nuts ...and it is a good morning. We experienced a light shower early this morning and it will be a delicious 24 C today, the nights are warming 13C overnight. Perfect !

Awe, no one wants to talk about their seeds ...ok, well guess we will find out when they grow up.

Don't you just love it when they sink overnight ? (Big Smile).

I am having so much trouble trying to restrain myself LOL ! What gardener doesn't huh ?

Jean that veggie place (seeds) you recommended is fantastic.
ebay ? well it can be a curse, I am fairly new to it (my first year).
Still I can remember from many years ago, how easily sucked in you can be, if you are new to gardening (prior to ebay it was advertisements in gardening magazines).

Well better get out there ...have a great day everyone ! ^_^

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 25, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9286370

Phew ...don't you just love the smell of the Seasol and manure etc.
Just popped in for a coffee ...looks like everyone is busy out there, yup Spring sure does put some Spring in your step,just wish I didn't smell of ... Phew ^_^

See Ya later

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 25, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9286398

Yes Chrissy, Seasol and manure are a smelly mix, but aren't they wonderful for the garden...
I've done that job, now it's the worm box that will give me some lovely liquid fertilizer with out any odour...
My seedlings are doing a bit of a sulk because I put them outside...they had to go because they were getting so tall...
Next month I will sow another batch...

Maybe this year, one of us will get an orange double like Clementine...or Chrissy will get her white or Jean her pink Aurea...I don't know what I want, but if Jean gets the pink Aurea, Shaun and I will be on the waiting list...

I am also looking forward to the lemon suaveolens flowering, remember I got the cutting from the Geelong gardens...it's been slow to grow...
Well back outside to enjoy that sunshine.
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2012
1:49 AM

Post #9286564

Lemon Suaveolens ? I know I should remember but ...it wasn't the Aztec Gold was it ?

Oh yes my special double white ...I expect one or two from TT x Heart of Gold ^_^ and perhaps some crosses from OS.

Allan my seeds are soaking already, thankyou ! I will take special care of them.

Enjoy your evening everyone ! it's been a great day for me ...I am now a member of The Brug Hoarders Club ^_^
Courtesy of BGI and fellow suffers .

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9286568

Yes just like you Girls I fertilized today also with Seasol & Charlie carp i used all of the 1 Litre of each of them to do my whole garden but could not folia feed the large plants they will have to wait for next time 2 weeks from now.

I had a customer here today to pick up a Brug that she bought from Ebay, Allan will know her as she bought Fernando from him also her name is Vicky and im sure that we will be meeting her soon on DG

i also went for a walk to get some ripe seed to Cestrum elegans today and saw a trolly on a persons nature strip and it had some very stunning alpine & Cottage perennials she is a member to the Ferny creek Hort Society and we had a chat for over an hour her Garden is stunning and she has many very rare plants and a few that have never hit the market such as Digitalis with pink spots not the deep purple as in the common CV. I will be keeping in contact with her also many new friends today

beautiful day out there today about 20oC and a very pleasant evening also

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2012
2:09 AM

Post #9286569

Ha ha ha oh not that yet ...my nose couldn't handle it, yet perhaps in a week or two ...I have the 5 litre one ...but honestly ...it makes me gag, great for the Brugs I agree. Edited to say ...it's the Charlie Carp I mean, the blood and bone, cow poo and chicken pellets are enough to deal with right now.

You sound like you are having a ball Shaun, that's good ! Those plants sound very interesting.
Before I went Brug crazy I had a large collection of unusual plants ...now I have a Wild Jungle and a Brug Factory lol.

Guess I will reacquaint myself with the more dainty and formal stuff when I move in a couple of years.
I might need therapy though ^_^ in order to cope with size restriction and my manic Brug Hoarder condition.

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 26, 2012 7:12 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 26, 2012
2:15 AM

Post #9286570

[quote="DeadlyNight"]
i also went for a walk to get some ripe seed to Cestrum elegans today [/quote]
Is this from a plant growing in somebody's front yard? I'd like to prune mine but am holding off in the hope that they might set seed. As both the pink and purple are flowering at the same time, I'm hoping that they might cross-pollinate.
Haven't fertilised the garden yet as we haven't had any real rain yet.
Meanwhile, here are three of my abutilon seedlings, all different shades of pink.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2012
2:27 AM

Post #9286573

Aren't they pretty ^_^ ...good luck with the cestrum cross ...sounds interesting.
you can cross your own lanterns now too. I made a double pink a while ago. Got quite a surprise.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
2:42 AM

Post #9286576

Cestrum yes they are in some ones garden and i have about 30 seed which i have never grown from seed, when cestrum self pollinate do the seed come true to the parent or is there a variant to them that could be interesting?????
it will be very interesting to see if the cestrum set pods for you and if they cross it would be nice to see what may come of those

Those Abutilon seedlings are very pretty cestrum good luck with them,
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 26, 2012
3:04 AM

Post #9286584

[quote="chrissy100"]Aren't they pretty ^_^ ...good luck with the cestrum cross ...sounds interesting.
you can cross your own lanterns now too. I made a double pink a while ago. Got quite a surprise.
[/quote]
Was the parent a double? My seedlings are from bought seed, so I don't know what the parents were like or how shape and colour are passed down. Will be good when my own seeds start flowering, maybe this growing season for the first of them with a bit of luck.

[quote="DeadlyNight"]Cestrum yes they are in some ones garden and i have about 30 seed which i have never grown from seed, when cestrum self pollinate do the seed come true to the parent or is there a variant to them that could be interesting?????
it will be very interesting to see if the cestrum set pods for you and if they cross it would be nice to see what may come of those
[/quote]
I don't know as I haven't grown any from my own seed but I hope to find out if either of them gets a seed capsule.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9287201

I can't remember now cestrum ... I only had one double lantern it was white, the rest were all singles. If you look I bet you will find seed capsules on yours.

Lots to do today as usual ...30C expected here today. Sunny no rain. (looks like no new Spring pods this year- too hot already).

Have fun everyone !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 26, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9287307

Just popped back in to say ...

YIKES ...snake and 28 spotted ladybird alert !

That long tail I saw near the boardwalk was no Blue Tongue ...it slithered too quickly as I approached, I hope it was the red bellied black. Scared of them too ... BUT we had the really scary ones out front last Summer ...this was in the back (I where I work every day) I wondered why all the birds were screeching, I thought perhaps a baby might have fallen from the nest. It caused a few heart flutters here I can tell you. We are clearing out the jungle ...I don't think they are happy about it.
At least noise makes those ones run away, but those brown ones are aggressive.I have lived here for 21 years now and until last year never saw any snakes but the red bellied blacks.
http://www.oztrek.com.au/pages/blue-mountains-fauna/snakeslizards.php

Those little chomper 28 spotted lady birds are here ...I have squished a few this morning. Grrrr I really really Hate them. Get squishing.

Be careful out there ...
I have butterflies in the tummy ...such a sook !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2012
1:31 AM

Post #9287600

It's been very warm today but it's sprinkling outside ...happy happy !

33C expected here tomorrow ...Spring rains, happy garden and it stops the snakes coming out ! ^_^

Enjoy your evening everyone.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9287624

i have been at work all day and only saw dribs & drabs of the sunshine
very nice tho
I will be out side tomorrow night after work to do a bit more in the gardens
have a great night and keep that babies popping
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9287673

Well things are looking very interesting in the fiels of Ebay!
Why?
i have a buyer that lives around the corner form me and he is interested in Brugs Duh!!!
the funny thing is ""do you remember me mentioning Colchester Rd and all the Brugs in the Garden!!!!""" well he is the original owner of those plants so i can get a few name to them he had a separation from his wife about 4-5 years ago and had found me on eBay and wants to catch up and buy from me could be some of his original plants
he was just mentioning that the garden there was not looked after and the plants are neglected which i belive to be true. so i have found another Brug nut close by how funny they are seeming to be close to me or is it just coincidence????
you tell me hahahha
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 27, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9287678

Great going Shaun. Now we may all know more names of your brugs .

I think its a brug germ that attracts bruggies to each other...lol..
Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9287712

We are now entering the Brug Twilight Zone ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5aW08ivHU

Good for you Shaun.

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 27, 2012 10:54 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9288316

Sweating up a storm here, just a touch under 30C at 10 am ...whew, rain expected later.

Seeds popping up all over the place, remember once they have their true leaves, if you are stretched for time ...put those babies into a cool area until you are ready to deal with them. You can keep them in a semi dormant state that way if you don't feed them. Just a little diluted seaweed tonic.

Remember my Earth Angel x Pink Smitty crosses x ? (germinated inside the pods ) I really didn't think I could save them but ...
Some are sticking their little arches up this morning ...I planted them up in ice cream containers with a glad wrap covering (I sort of just did a bandaid job due to thinking they wouldn't make it.) In years gone by I didn't worry about my own too much, but this time I will ...funny if they are all white huh ? If they have a pretty shape I won't mind.

Looking back at an old thread, I found a memory jogger ... of having dusted some early blooms with TT , I had quite forgotten that.My memory isn't great when stressed.

So of course I feel compelled to grow these babies out ...the bulk of them were donated by mother nature but at least three pods were dusted with TT , I didn't note it down at the time, sure it wouldn't work in Summer. Thinking back we had a cluster of cool wet days, I think it may have done the trick ...of course it may be just wishful thinking. Oh well, hopefully I might find a real surprise in there one day. I remember dabbing that pollen on anything that bloomed at the time ... Heart of Gold was not ready at that those first flushes on TT. TT has multiple blooms in quick succession once it starts up, even through most of Winter until the Frost hit some of it. A great trait as specially when you are looking for a good parent for your babies.
Excuse the rambling-hope it all made sense ...it's the Brug disease ^_^

Enjoy your Friday ...long weekend ahead here, and Daylight Saving here in NSW !

chrissy ^_^

This message was edited Sep 28, 2012 10:49 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 27, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9288437

You're 30c and we are pouring rain and cold...I don't think that I would trade, Chrissy...not ready for that sort of heat.
Those babies should be interesting...so many crosses this year of our own...
Next year I'm not buying even one seed from OS...too many that I would like to grow from our own crosses, especially all the ones that will be flowering this year for the second time...
Wonderful thing to be able just to grow out our own seeds...
Dianne
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 27, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9288515

I'm with you, Dianne: I would rather have the cold and rain! Summer is really the hardest time of year here I reckon, despite the winter frosts. And I really miss the regular 'changes', the four-seasons-in-one day that visitors complain about. Agree about the overseas seeds too; there's just too much to grow out as it is. Plus, there's something esp. exciting about seeing your own cross flower. Time for me to start mulching soon I think, to make way for the new.
[quote="chrissy100"]

Enjoy your Friday ...long weekend ahead here, and Daylight Saving here in NSW !
[/quote]
Long weekend here too, but your DS doesn't start until Sunday of NEXT week (7 Oct): http://www.nsw.gov.au/daylight-saving
Just one more thing I dislike about summer here, being an hour behind. Thank goodness for ABC24, which at least broadcasts in real time instead of an hour's delay. Before I forget, scary stuff about the snakes. (Only in a place like Australia could a person express a preference for the red-bellied snake, because it's less of a threat!) You've got to take a stick around with you, like a hiker, and prod any undergrowth in front of you. What are the odds that while you've got your eyes focused on the ground, alert for snakes, only to walk into a nest of wasps or something else from above LOL Hopefully, not !!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 27, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9288529

Oh gosh it usually starts on the long weekend, you mean we don't get Monday holiday to adjust ?
What a pain !!!! thanks for the low down. I blame the heat for brainfade.

Yes we need the seasons, however looks like our Spring Sprung for a minute, then racked off.
Hot wind blowing, dry grass ...here we go ...Fire Warnings saying it will be a shocker due to all the fuel on the ground from all the rains.

Anything over 80F and the Brugs are not too happy, particularly the German ones ...oh well.
Yes the snakes ...I tend to forget about them usually but not after the Brown snakes out front.
I don't wear protective footwear either as my feet get too hot,just slides, so yes it curls ones toes !

Yes I doubt we will be needing any OS seeds for a while ...so looking forward to the home crosses we all have ^_^
and the OS ones too of course, but with a priority on our own merged crosses.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #9288553

it's been a very misrabul day here in Melbourne wet wet and just to top it of cold & wet but thats ok the plants love it a nice drenching of rain will do all plants well.

i must agree with the OS seed lots i will not be buying any for a few years now i think i have enough genes to carry me & us throu and add them to our collection, i have now many aurea X.varieties that have come up and will be looking at them to be the Back bone of my hybrids with the OS plants to complement them also with doubles and more

Here is a pic of one of my newest Brugs how amusing what are your thoughts on this variety it is a sanguinea

This is a few seedlings of White Ruff, aurea(form), Frosty Pink, Knightii(Lincoln Rd), DP'n'G, Tantra & suaveolens
http://youtu.be/gjcWHV8x2Lk

I have just been reprimanded via Ebay here is what was stated:

Hello shaund1969(sd142@iprimus.com.au),

**PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT EMAIL REGARDING YOUR LISTING(S)**

We appreciate that you chose eBay to list the following listing(s):

300785779117 - Brugmansia aurea (form) (Angel Trumpet)

However, your (s) violates eBay's Drugs and Drug Paraphernalia policy and has been removed. In accordance with our User Agreement, items prohibited by law or by eBay policy are not allowed on eBay.

Some items, while legal to sell, can be used for illegal purposes and are not allowed on eBay. eBay doesn't want to be responsible for or associated with allowing someone access to prescription controlled or illegal substances, or the promotion the use of illegal substances.

Please do not relist this item.

All fees associated with a listing we remove are credited back to your account. If we removed a listing, you should see this credit reflected in your account balance right away.

Narcotics, steroids or other controlled substances may not be listed on eBay. Drug paraphernalia may not be listed on eBay. Such paraphernalia includes all items that are primarily intended or designed for use in manufacturing, concealing or using a controlled substance.

The sale of prohibited drugs and drug paraphernalia is strictly forbidden on eBay, and violates state, federal and international law. eBay strongly supports law enforcement and assists in the prosecution of those responsible for knowingly attempting to sell such items on eBay.

Prohibited drugs or plants, and other controlled substances may not be listed on eBay. This includes drugs, plants and substances outlined in Schedule 1 of the New South Wales Drug Misuse and Trafficking Act 1985 and the Commonwealth Crimes (Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act 1990.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This message was edited Sep 29, 2012 8:54 AM

Thumbnail by SolMan

aussie_flower
Vic
Australia

September 28, 2012
1:47 AM

Post #9288558

How odd that flee bay decided to pull your listing, it my just be down to the wording in the heading, maybe add plant name or flower colour to avoid any confusion.
I went and had a looksee at your profile and what you were selling and it all looks good :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
1:59 AM

Post #9288560

Shaun that is very strange ...after all the seeds we have been buying off Ebay and I have seen lots of Brugs for sale in Australia.
I think someone has complained. ebay does not usually give a toss, I have read about people complaining and being ignored.
Where you selling some other things ?

Brugmansia are not illegal .Edited to say they are sold by everyone everywhere these days for goodness sake even Bunnings. I would tell them so and ask what item is actually illegal since they are sold all over the place.

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 28, 2012 7:02 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
2:21 AM

Post #9288565

hi aussie flower sorry I forgot to wave ^_^

I posted your little cute video on FB ... I love baby Brugs ...ha ha ha *thunder and lightening*, just a spit in the eye of rain.

Off to explore Ebay ! to see if all the brugs are banned, I bet they are not.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
2:27 AM

Post #9288567

Chrissy it is Brugmansia aurea i have not seen aurea for sale on ebay but i have seen it on other web sites, i think it comes back to the issue of importing of B.aurea and it being band from import
i could not see any other reason but there is a drugs list and it's on that i think?????
im just going around & round on the ebay policy sites as i have no idea what im looking for

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9288572

These ones aren't banned ...
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=Brugmansia&_sacat=0
Hmmm I still think someone has complained, I remember someone telling me, I think it was cestrum, not sure that someone abused them for buying and sharing Angels, something along those lines.

If you think it is the word Aurea (I doubt it) drop it and see, I must say your signature does not help perhaps "deadly night" infers things, if you get my drift, I would drop that, if I were wanting to sell these flowers.
edited to say ...that link didn't work sorry, but I see heaps of Brugs.

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 28, 2012 7:38 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 28, 2012
2:55 AM

Post #9288576

Unfortunately I have to agree with Chrissy re your user name, Shaun...when you first joined us, I thought hello hello, interesting name...
It does imply that you like to sample your product...
Now remember you are on eBay to make money...so you have to be user friendly in every way...think up a good name for yourself...this is retail...and you want to be the best.
Dianne
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
2:57 AM

Post #9288577

Chrissy on ebay i only have shaun1969 and my email is sd142 so it cant be that Deadly knight is only here on Daves garden!
i think its got some thing to do with a goody 2sho or some thing like that
I have writen to eBay about this issue and asked for documents other then there policy as i could not find it any where, but aurea is still not illegal as yet but can not be imported in to Australia
so ill be waiting on feed back from eBay

edited to say::: Deadly Knight is for what the plants i collect are in Solanaceae Deadly Nightshade

This message was edited Sep 28, 2012 8:59 PM
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 28, 2012
3:26 AM

Post #9288586

I have sold quite a few brugmansia plants on Ebay for some time now without any problems(so far). Perhaps it is a knee jerk response to a complaint from someone as Chrissy says. I only have hybrid brugmansia seeds for sale at present. Shaun, I see that Ebay have not removed your Dr Seuss brugmansia? Strange, I would definately question why Ebay have singled you out!!
Allan..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #9288595

Ok well it's not the name, I am betting it is one of those people who were stirring up the legal issue before, to prevent anyone becoming competition, IMO only, I had it pulled by admin when it got out of hand.

Don't know what to tell you, except to challenge the ban when Brugmansia are freely available on Ebay and everywhere.
All I can say is oh boy! I am glad I don't sell on the EvilBay LOL ...or anywhere.

As for Deadly Knight if I hadn't known you from FB, as a genuine Brug lover, I would have been very weary, after all, who knows it's about deadly nightshade ...either way Deadly and Brugs ...well ? not the greatest look. Luckily we know you. ^_^

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9288603

Chrissy i have writen to DG admin and asked them if there was any possibility of getting a name change???
or would i have to delete this account and then open a new one
I am really disheartened with ebay and the issues that have popped up there
with Deadly Knight i thought it was a great name but it seems like its noting but trubble outside and inside DG

i have written again and sent a link or 2 to ebay about the issus as they wrote back asap saying go to contact eBay not throu the email thay sent
i hope to have this issue resolved soon
Shaun

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9288634

Awe I hope I didn't hurt your feelings mate, sorry, don't feel down about it.
We know you as Dark Knight here now, but if you want to change your name just open another account. Australian forum is free anyway. But let us know it's you.
As for Evil Bay pffft there are more ways than one, to skin a cat. Or sell your Brugs. ^_^

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 28, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9288658

Shaun, I am amazed at the pulling of your brug listing.
Brugs have been freely sold on eBay for years in Aust & OS

I agree, that someone has made a complaint. I would follow up with eBay definitely, as you are within your rights as a seller to know the reason for the action.

It will be worth losing the word aurea from your listing and seeing what happens.

I see nothing wrong with your user name and if someone has had cause to tell anyone your DG user name, they should be minding their own business.

We have too many dogooders sticking their noses in where they are not wanted.

You are not "deadly" , but the name does have an association with the poison type plants that may mislead silly people. .

If eBay are so interested in the "drug "uses for the brugs, why have they not pulled all the ads, as most mention that all parts of the brugs are poison ?

I hope you get some sort of satisfaction from eBay and continue your selling.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9288659

Off to bed and go to sleep listening to the rain after we hit 34 C today they said !

So the rain is very welcome (never thought I would say that again ^_^) we needed it bad, just a shame there are many accidents already, if you are going anywhere on the roads have fun but be safe.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9288661

You tell em Jean :)

sweet dreams ...splish splash ! whoo hoo.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 28, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9289167

I've had a few negative experiences on ebay; it seems inevitable over time. I remember complaining to one seller that the seeds they sold were for a melon that was not edible fresh, but had to be preserved/cooked in some way. Next thing I knew, I'd received an email from ebay telling me that I'd been accused of harassing behaviour: the seller had responded not by replying to my legitimate complaint, but by reporting *me* to ebay! Of course, I replied to ebay, several times, but each time seemed to receive only a proforma reply. Meanwhile, the seller kept selling the seeds and describing them as being sweet to eat.

I was particularly aggrieved because this was during the drought and I'd spent over four months bucket-watering the wretched things, eagerly anticipating my own sweet melons! (It was only after I'd tried the first one that I thought to go online and research the melons myself, instead of relying on the seller's description ... I was still new to ebay then.)

Other things have happened too. It seems to me that someone who knows how to work the system can wreak a lot of mischief, while the innocent victim too often struggles to have ebay respond with anything but a proforma reply.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9289186

Hi there Guys
NAME CHANGE with still the back story of Deadly Night
so with the new name it is very similar to the previous
SolMan = Solanaceae Man i proffer to collect this group Just like the Knights shade as it is also known
I am SHAUN

IF EVER YOU DECIDE TO CHANGE YOUR NAME DG OFFERS A ONE TIME CHANGE

Cestrum i think like most others that there are people out just to cause trouble i can not find a document on ebay that said B aurea is Illegal and i can not find one in the Government web sites either but the one that was being pushed about 12-18 months ago trying to ban certain plants as Drug plants

Looks like another 1/2 hearted day here in Melbourne about 14oC with rain expected but my babies loved the rain yesterday and im happy for them, getting another trailer load of potting mix to pot more plants up bizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy beeeeeeeeeeeee

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9289193

Yay welcome SolMan ! nice ^_^ Shaun.

Yes cestrum I agree with what you say, I haven't much experience with ebay but have read about so many complaints such as yours. which is why I didn't do it for so long.

So far I have had good things from it, but I have only ever ordered seeds (veggie and Brugs). I would still be weary because time and time again people have complained about others using their pictures and ebay ignores this most times. The stolen pictures still appear ...

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9289197

Yay for the Brug Babies ^_^ Yes loved the rain ...soon they will grow inches a day !

have fun Shaun and everyone , me too !

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 28, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9289253

Love the new name Shaun, it sounds like you live in the sun...lol.

I have been selling plants on eBay on & off for quite a few years. Mainly iris & epis.
I have had the odd idiot, but on the whole, you get used to the regular buyers & sellers .
I try to give accurate descriptions and always use my own pics.
The trick is to give enough info without going into unnecessary details.

I will not buy from anyone who has no pic or a scant description of the item.

I sell and pack as I would want to receive anything.

As always , there are the odd nasties you find in any situation. If you know you are accurate in your listings and pack properly , there should be no problem.
Its hard for beginners, as I know from my experience when first on.
I had a couple of disasters with plants not being what they were sold as.
You soon get to know the ropes.
Always check the sellers ratings as this can be a good guide to their selling attitude..

Shaun, dont let the odd fool put you off. EBay can be a good thing and I have had lots of bargains.

Yes, pics have been used without asking. I had that happen but luckily, when I asked for them to be removed, they were.
There are a few regular shonky sellers who are seemingly ignored by eBay , but once you know them you can avoid them.

Mark your pics with a watermark of some sort. Its not necessary to spoil your pics with ugly watermarks. There are all sorts to use that are not obtrusive. I usually color match mine with the flowers...(see pic)
Can help in stopping pic stealing.

Okay, lecture over for the day.. Sorry for going on and getting off the brugmansia subject, but I hate seeing people being upset by B*** idiots who seem to abound everywhere.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 28, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9289383

I second everything that Jean said, Shaun...Including the congrats on the new name..."SolMan" good choice...
It will be interesting to see eBay's response to your query...there doesn't appear to be a valid reason, does there!!!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9289487

Blowing up a Gale out there ...so that's it for today. These hot winds blow in the grasshoppers and the munchers, far too early of course.Oh well we can't have it all ...loving all my baby basils (lemon, lime and cinnamon) out there ! so there is always some treasure to find every day. More Brug babies popping up,two more pods harvested, the Winter babies have grown at least an inch in a couple of days,
it's all happening !

Darned ornery weather !!!!! ^_^ , you have to laugh, because it laughs at us.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9289492

So I went to check the weather forecast ...3C overnight- for the next three days!, possible frosts, are you kidding me ?, went outside and yep the wind has changed direction and is cooler wind ...I hope it freezes those munchers at least !
Everything has survived 3C before, so hopefully it won't matter.
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

September 28, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9289503

Hi to all and yes good name Shaun, 2 seeds are up Chrissy two days ago ( Star Dance x Glasshouse Angel )
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 28, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9289543

Joli x Bergkonigin is still keeping the inner skirt tucked up, but it does seem to be setting doubles rather than singles now. This bloom is just starting to colour.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
11:29 PM

Post #9289544

Hi Gina very happy star Dancer x Glasshouse Angel has popped up for you ...I hope it gives you some pretty blooms down the track. ^_^

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9289546

That is looking very good cestrum ...it's cute the way the colour creeps in with speckles isn't it ?
You must be chuffed !

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 28, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9289549

The brugs occasionally have that two-colour speckle. Pink Smitty x Dorthea has had it and I've even seen it on OA sometimes. You can see that the pink is spreading from the left to right. This exactly coincides with east to west (and it does get most sun in the morning).

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
11:44 PM

Post #9289553

Yes I have Pink Smitty crosses that start out with that blotched coloration too. It seems to depend on the weather.
Most times they go straight to colour or from white to pink depending on the gene mix I guess.
I love these ones ! love the pretty colour and the form.
Looking forward to the new Pink Smitty crosses to come yet too. I am sure we all are.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 28, 2012
11:50 PM

Post #9289557

Oops forgot to say how great it is to see a Bergkonigin cross bloom here in Australia with many more to come I am sure.
I wonder how deep the colour will go ?

chrissy

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 29, 2012
12:27 AM

Post #9289564

It and Pink Smitty x Dorthea are my two darkest pinks. (I'm sure I've posted plenty of pics.) They just need warmth to bring out the depth of colour. Although, now that I think about it, Mya's Fifi can turn a rich dark pink in warm weather too.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9289591

thanks guys i am letting it rest at the moment
i do appreciate the complements on the new name also

Cestrum Chrissy & Jean thanks for the advice on ebay and sellers v buyers

Cestrum LOVE LOVE joli x.Bergkonigin and as you mentioned the sprinkles of color they look really cool,
GENA great to see that some of chrissy's babies have popped for you
i have been potting up in to 12'pots for the last hour while it was still light so only just got hoome from work
day way a bit mizrable and wet very WET

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 29, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9290286

Whew well so far so good, the wind kept the potential frost away and we only went down to 4C ...a reasonably mild day ahead which is great. Only a few more cold mornings to go 3 or 4 then the frost danger is passed. Probably it will be the heat to worry about then.
I am happy because the seedlings are ok ...even the tender Winter ones have hardened up.

More to do so ...enjoy your day everyone !
We get an extra day to play in the garden ^_^

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 29, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9290443

I don't mind these last cold nights before the 24/7 humidity returns, although frost is never welcome. Max of 14 deg. in Melbourne yesterday: perfect footy weather! (Just ain't right when the day is warm and sunny LOL)
Here is the seedling today, speckling replaced by solid pink. It should get darker than this. Looks like it's going to keep that petticoat tucked up, though.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2012 12:34 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9290469

Cestrum that is starting to look really nice sounder if your going to keep it or not
The solid color would be better on th form of bloom

Talking about footy I didn't know who won till about 7pm
And then didn't care

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 29, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9290517

Been outside ...the heat snuck up a little but it was quite comfortable. Yes these lovely nights will soon make way for the uncomfortable ones.

The colour is beaut ! cestrum, you might have to wait until Autumn for any further skirt drop, the colour might even intensify with even more warmth. I don't mind the tweens (it's what I call them) they just make it a little harder to cross them. The tweens are cute IMO.

Shaun I am with you, not very interested in it.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 29, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9290559

This cross has bloomed before, in a rich pink colour. The only difference is that now it's throwing all doubles instead of all singles.
I seem to have three shades of pink between my doubles:
1. Light (coral) pink of my earliest two double pinks.
2. Warm dark pink, of this one.
3. A cool pink, in the Salmon Perfektion cross. (But that was only from two blooms, so who knows how it might morph this growing season.)
Wish I could classify the perfumes so easily!

Not a footy fanatic myself but grew up with it all around me and, even as a non-follower, it seems perfectly right that the game be played in cold wet weather--that's what the beanies and scarves are for LOL

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 29, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9290569

Same here cestrum. The Pinks I mean. It's very interesting. So are the perfumes.
Can't wait to see how they evolve.
More seeds popping ...three buckets of Mandarins (sweet as toffee)rescued from the jungle clearing. That's what it's all about !
The difference between those and recently purchased ones is beyond comparison. Planted into the old Chook yard years ago.

I sent my son to a college that was sport mad.
My two grandsons are heavily involved in footy, in fact one is a coach and referee for the under 18s Panthers.
I can't bear to watch them now they are into the heavy injury age brackets. They told me not to go because I might have a heart attack when they bleed. Probably right too.

Enjoy the final everyone ...yes I do take a look at the Finals every now and then.

chrissy

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 29, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #9290572

Nothing much going on here at the moment. Brugs are enjoying the rain.
I am closely watching my pods. They show no signs of being ready as yet. Still growing.
I repotted one of the coldies today as it had grown too large for its pot.
No sign of a Y but a good trunk as it has reached just over 3'.
I have several of the sangs with Ys, but no buds, I am still hoping as the cold weather continues.

GHA is resting from flowers at the moment while he tries for a new height record.
He is well over his previous height of 8'when I last cut him back, Now up to around 10'

I will need a ladder this year for any pollinating. Hubby will think I am mad.

Musketeer has decided to be a good brug after I put him out in the garden in disgust at his poor showing.
He has put out Ys and looks really good now.

I have put some of the seedlings and a couple of poorer brugs out in the vegie garden to see how they do. They are all looking good at the moment.

I wish my pods would hurry up so I can see what seeds I get. I want to plant some this year.

Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 29, 2012
11:16 PM

Post #9290578

Jean so long as you get 4 inches of growth on the seedlings you will overwinter them ok.
So don't panic. The pods ripen quickly in the heat, look what happened here they were sprouting in the pod.

Good luck, can't wait to see your coldies too. ^_^

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 29, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #9290580

Exactly so, cestrum...shame that the duffle coats aren't worn anymore...I still have my son's with all his numbers and names on it...

I have these seeds of my own that I will grow out this season..
PPx Angioletto
RFP x Angioletto
GHA x Angioletto
plus the PP fasciated pod and pollen ones.
Angioletto has excellent genes and a cross with those 3 might produce something pretty for me..
The Ivoire and the Tantra seeds can wait until Autumn..that's if the Tantras ever ripen..lol

Shaun, the Royal Melb Bot gardens are having their sale and the catalogue will be online probably Mon/Tues..
This year they have a map, with all the different species sites ..makes it a lot easier to find what you want.
Warmer weather forecast for this week..lets hope that they are right.
Dianne.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2012 5:26 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 29, 2012
11:32 PM

Post #9290584

They sound great Dianne, as well, if you get the chance,
try to put Tantra to Angioletto.
FFA to Angioletto and the reverse cross.
Ivoire to Dwarf Pink'n'Green and reverse cross
GHA to Dwarf Pink'n'Green and reverse cross

It will be awesome watching the progress of all the home crosses. !

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

September 30, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9290600

Dianne, I have already got RFP X Angioletto and BF X PP seedlings ready to go into 8" pots. Since the bit of warmer weather they have just taken off. I have one bud on Dwarf Pink and Green. Ivoire has been flowering, but is looking like she will have a bit of a rest for a while. BB has not stopped flowering all the way through winter. He always has some flowers. Clementine has just flowered again. RFP has about 10 flowers at different stages. BF has a pod that I'm waiting for. It has to be crossed with Avalanche as that was the only flower at the time. Avalanche is right next to BF as well. There are still ones of Brian's that I haven't seen as yet and Tantra and Knightii haven't flowered for me here. Hopefully this season. Lots of exciting things going on in the brug gardens. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 30, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9290618

Colleen, how quick off the mark were you!!!!!!
I'm only just about to plant them...I forgot the BF x PP and the PP x BF ones, they have to be planted too.
RFP is such a lovely thing, since I took them out of the pots, they have never had any virus and they are such good flowerers...so it was definitely my neglect that caused the virus..it never affected the flowers, they are always lovely...
Don't forget that RFP is the parent of the PP fasc twins...the large ones...so hopefully that will give us something pretty too...at the very least I am expecting something BIG...lol
You are going to have a great Spring by the sounds of it...

Whoa, Chrissy...I know that you are very enthusiastic and they would be great crosses I'm sure...but I couldn't grow them all out...If you want to grow them, I will be only too happy to cross them for you...I'll let you know when they are flowering..
I looked at your choices again and you have those cvs I think, so I will watch your progress...good luck.
Dianne

This message was edited Sep 30, 2012 7:57 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
2:15 AM

Post #9290628

It looks like theres a lot of cross speculation for the coming season, i will be doing a lot of aurea crosses and if the doubles do well i will introduce them to aurea of all kinds. 1 aurea which i don't have at present is that of Macedon but i think with all those seedlings i dont need it.
Im starting to panic as there is like about 300-400 seeds popping up and gil said that ok that's what you want yes it is but not all at once hahahah

NOW to the good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eBay have got back to me with a decision on the violation on Drug & drug paraphernalia.
it was a mistake by ebay and have cancelled this violation and reinstalled the sale item
Thank GOODness cos in a few weeks i will be putting one of the best crosses i have on line and it has aurea in it

Other then that i have no news other then another 50 12"post potted up today

Edited to say: im starting to get a bit vicious with the seedlings that do not preform i have to many of each cross so if they don't grow as quick as others then of to the scrap heap they go i have already tossed about 15 5-6"seedlings out because of this issue alone what other reasons will i use to thin out my flock

This message was edited Sep 30, 2012 8:42 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 30, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9290661

It all sounds wonderful everyone.

Dianne I won't be doing much crossing after this year since I will be moving probably before they would have chance to bloom.
I will probably be bowing out of my mania by then, since I won't have the room,
just rambling on about what I would cross if I was still "at it ".
I will only be taking the best of the best with me (due to huge downsizing), ^_^ ...BIG OUCH ! ...I will be sending cuttings out in all directions just before I go.

Looks like the future of Brugs will be left in great hands by the look of things.

Congratulations Shaun, sometimes you just have to stand your ground. I definitely think there is a mischief maker about.
Could it be coming from up North somewhere perhaps, maybe from the same ones who were stalking us with scary stories in the banned thread previously.

Good luck with your best cross ...and other crosses too Shaun.
And to all of us.
Can't wait for the Brug Show to start.

Off to watch 'Call The Midwife' ...love that show !
Enjoy your evening and happy Day Dreaming everyone.

chrissy

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9291547

What a nice day out there not to hot and no cold breeze, potting away doing all the OS seedlings and there are many to do i have just potted up about 100 seedlings about 3" tall in to 3"pots some of which are from BB in The Netherlands mmmmm beautiful crosses with Creamsickle in them.
i have 4 seedlings up from Alice which was the 'knightii' = semi double white x.Tutu im feeling good about this one
ALLAN i have 4 seeds up and potted in to 3"pots of Mango Cornet x.Fernando thank you for those babies

now im of to get pots for my cousin and myself as i am requering many more 10-12" post for when the seedlings get bigger and for the many hundreds that are going over to my sister-in-laws garden also

i hope the weather is good where you are

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 30, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9291649

Shaun, I have to ask...are you going to take them to a market?
Our eBay doesn't have that big a demand...
What are you hoping for with the Knightii x Tutu cross?
I like the sound of the Mango Cornet x Fernando...
My Fernando was very tall and it's flowers were damaged by the wind last year so I've cut it in half and it's growing well again, the cutting too.
My seeds are soaking, the GHA x Angioletto were very large seeds, almost like a baby bean...
especially compared the RFP x Angioletto, which were tiny...
Dianne.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
11:35 PM

Post #9291660

At this time i am just propigating cuttings of the plants which i have had for a while and selling via ebay at this time, I am looking in to a Market @ Healsville on the first sunday of the month but im still looking in to it.
I also don't have that many varieties to sell so i may have to leave it for a while till i get a few more varieties.
I will not be selling any seedlings only plants that have been proven to be quality plants seedlings are very special and i will not do that as its my reputation on the line

with the Knightii X.Tutu i am hoping for a good true double with insect & fungal resistance with that is what im hoping for but you never know what will happen

Dainne the MC x.Fernando was from Allan and i hope that it dose some magic for me!!!

your GHA x.Angioletto with those big seeds sound so AUREA like

Q? = what is RFP?

This message was edited Oct 1, 2012 5:37 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 1, 2012
12:48 AM

Post #9291676

The Suaveolens seeds are the smallest seeds and the Aurea are the big ones. Even the different seeds are fascinating.

That Knightii x Tutu should be interesting to follow ( I still believe Knightii and Tutu to be the same Brug) so I would love to see the end result.
The Creamsickle crosses will be very exciting to follow. What Creamsickle crosses do you have Shaun ? (Creamsickle fan Here).

GHA always has large seeds. BB has always given quite large seeds too.

It has been of great interest to follow the reviews of the different Brugs, some reviews are most unexpected.

Today I have discovered that not peeling my pod germinated seeds has caused some drama ...there are some seedlings that have popped up with the roots tangled and anchored in their corks, so some of those will not make it. There are so many it won't matter, but I always feel sad when a little one does not make it.

I have found some of the best looking crosses from overseas have surprisingly tiny seeds.

I am tired this afternoon, you know that happy tiredness, you get from seeing things take shape out there in the garden.
It's cool again right now, but I think the coolest days are now almost past. They forecast 6C for overnight so probably no frost. We had Sun but a cool breeze for most of the day, quite pleasant. More pods harvested ...Bucks Fizz gave me 4 large pods with seeds present (they have so many seeds too). All drying off, most will be going to the seed bank at BGI.

Better go get dinner on ...I hope everyone has had a great day. The long weekend flew by, they always do don't they ?

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 1, 2012
12:50 AM

Post #9291677

It's Colleen's Frosty Pink, Shaun...because it didn't come from the same place as everyone elses,
Colleen called it Riverland Frosty Pink and she gave a cutting to me...
I've crossed it with a few things, because it is a very large open flower and I like it very much.
Dianne.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9291701

Chrissy, Creamsickle X.Super Spot i have is crossed both ways and i also have
Creamsickle x.La Santer from EU which should be interesting that's all i have of Creamsickle

Dianne i had no idea of the RFP = Riverland FP have you crossed it with frosty pink that should be interesting and will produce more pink blooms but of what shape & form is yet to be known.

I only have a few seed pods left on the plants as i have lost so many and the rest i have though were just not mature enough for sending out so i sowed them and had some success, but with all my seed pods i am & have been sowing around 10-20 seed of each variety that i have allowed to dry out.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 1, 2012
2:34 AM

Post #9291712

La Santer ? never heard of that one ...is there a picture we can link to see it ? if not what does it look like ?

Just curious as to your choice ^_^

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
2:51 AM

Post #9291722

Chrissy im trying to get a pic for you this is not one that i bought it was a gift from a grower in Europe

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 1, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9291784

Don't fret Shaun ...sorry, I don't want you to worry about it.
I just hadn't heard of it that's all. Wondered what it would produce ...guess you will get a nice surprise out of it.
If Creamsickle is one parent I am sure something nice will come from it. ^_^

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9291832

Chrissy i have just spoken to the seed suplier of that cross and it is actually
Creamsickle X.Langenbuscher Garten and not 'La Santa'
the seed lot was abbreviated i have no idea how it could translate to LBG

so this will be an interesting cross

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 1, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9291881

We have the same ones then ^_^ ...ready ...set ...go !

only joking, ^_^ but yes it will be very interesting to compare can't wait !

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

October 1, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9292477

Sound like a lot of interesting crosses there.
Wish I could fast forward a couple of years.

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 6:02 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 1, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9292715

Oh me too cestrum, me too ^_^

Except that I will be about to move ...

There is a great future to look forward to in the World of Brugs.
Who would have thought it a few years ago.
Must get on with the day, back later.
Have a great Bruggy day everyone !

chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

October 1, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9292738

Have a very happy birthday today Chrissy!! I have a present on the way for you(seeds of course).
Allan..
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9293157

Chrissy HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you for your 50th
Hope you have a great day and enjoy it with close friends

Cestrum I would love to jump say 2 years all my seeds woul have shown me a sneak peek an some would be that interest for all our seed lots it will be very exciting to see in to the future

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 1, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9293167

Hope you are having a very Happy Birthday Chrissy...

Allan the seeds arrived, It's kinda corny, but my hands are shaking holding the fasciation seed...the crosses of Mango Cornet and Fernando with Pink Panther would be good crosses anyway...but that element of the fasciated PP being the parent adds that bit of excitement for me anyway...

Those FFA seeds are whoppers aren't they...I think that I could use one as bait they are so large...:-)
The seeds that you sent include all the colours of apricots, oranges and melons plus the beautiful pale pink of Pink Panther...doubles and singles...what more could one ask...lol
Thanks very much for using the PP pollen and looking after the pods...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 1, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9293169

50 ????? LOL you are so funny Shaun. My day is great so far, busy morning visitors here right now ...making the coffee and cake. So I popped in quickly to say thanks and to Allan and Wayne loved the birthday seeds ...thankyou, I will take great care of them.
This morning I posted off some stuff, I didn't get around to everyone because I have guests now, but who ever didn't get theirs can expect theirs to go next Monday as this week is a short one and some O/N parcels still sometimes take three days.
Must go ...thanks again everyone, enjoy your arvo.
I have caramel mudcake and real coffee to look forward to (sacrilege to drink instant with my Italian born in laws) , wish I could share. ^_^

chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

October 2, 2012
3:36 AM

Post #9293257

It is good to see that the seeds I sent last Friday got through OK to those that requested them,
Dianne, I have to agree with you about the size of the FFA seeds. They are massive!! Large seedpods, large seeds so perhaps large blooms? I am hoping that the seeds from your fasciation PP pollen produces something special but am inclined to think that the seeds from your PP seedpods have more of a chance of something different.

Still waiting for some sunstantial rain in Brisbane. Only about 11 mm in the last 10 weeks. Not good.
Allan
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9293259

Allan thank you for the beautiful seed lots i received them today in very good order.
those crosses are great and will be waiting with baited breath like all to see what comes of them

Dianne i hope for you also about the F-PP pollen giving you something interesting but very unlikely fingers crossed

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 2, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9293285

Must be a lot of Aurea in the big seeds ...Don't you love those big ones ?

I remember FFA was a strong healthy seedling from a large seed, next Angioletto was just a touch behind it and they both were the most lovely seedlings ...very Jurassic looking, I was thrilled with them even before they bloomed.

Can't wait to see all the different kids ...as for that promiscuous Pink Panther ...can't help but love that Brug it passes on such lovely whiskers to it's offspring !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OPc7MRm4Y8&feature=fvwrel

chrissy

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 9:38 PM
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

October 2, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9294255

I no late but Happy Birthday Chrissy, do not always get to the computer.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 2, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9294307

Been out int he lovely sun all day.
I have redone all my brug labels with the paint pen so they will last even longer now.

a few pics after I did some moving around.
pics...1 & 2.. Clementine. the buds were not growing quickly to fit the inside flowers which
were being squished up inside. I had to peel the calyxes off them.
Flowers are not too bad considering the weather we have had lately.
One more bud to open on her, which looks normal.

pic ...3... the aurea " avenue "...there are 15 aureas and area crosses along here.
My perfume paradise come summer.

pic ...4...still flowering , beautiful Mango Cornet

pic ...5 some of the sanguineas all around 4'- 5 'tall. most getting Ys.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 2, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9294332

Wow Jean that Aurea walk will be spectacular ! ...the scent alone will be unbelievable.

Poor Clementine is just suffering from starting out in the cold temps, nothing more than stress frizzles, it will get better as the warmer weather kicks in. Love it's perfume.

Mango cornet is such a lovely colour !

Your coldies look very happy and comfortable there, it shouldn't be too long now. Great pics, it won't be long before we are all oooohhing and aaaaahhing over your wonderful Brug Parade. Congratulations. ^_^

Gina thankyou ...I hope you are enjoying your garden up there, though I know it must be getting hot.

Lets hope everyone gets the rain they need, we need more here too, I have been out today, I would always rather be at home.

Lots of Sun, 29C here, tomorrow warmer, it's all hopping out there !

I hope everyone has enjoyed their day.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 2, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9294334

i meant to add that the pic only shows half the aurea avenue. It goes about the same distance up behind where I took the pic.
The big fatso in front is the red Iochroma and the purple , even taller is along further.
Thats GHA standing tall at the end.
Jean.
neroli
Byron Bay
Australia

October 2, 2012
11:16 PM

Post #9294342

Our Brugmansias are in bud, not long to go. These are from last year. I live in Byron Bay, its going to be a long hot summer by the looks of it...I collect Frangipanis, should be a good year!

Thumbnail by neroli   Thumbnail by neroli         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 2, 2012
11:21 PM

Post #9294344

Hi neroli ...what beautiful shots ! look at those pretty Brugs and that sky is just so gorgeous !
Too cold for the lovely frangipani to thrive here, though I do love them.

Welcome to the Brug thread.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9294451

Jean WOW love the Brug Walk how many aurea do you have that are not crosses>??? i still have a few to give you when they are ready but i also know like dianne we are becoming limited for space.
Those colddies are also looking good how tall are they>>> mine are about 3foot tall now so fingers crossed ni November or so they could Bloom??? no Y yet. However i do have B.'Midas' Y-ing again so i should have a few pics soon i cut it back in April when i noticed all those mites that would not disappear with the thing i was using, but im back loge with requests for this on as its quite hard to get cuttings to take
Neroli love Old Apricot and your pics are great also you should have many blooms coming throw soon with all that beautiful weather

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 3, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9294605

I wrote a long post this morning and obviously forgot to send it...oh well.
I mentioned that Jean's avenue was looking great and that her plants looked so much more lush than mine.
Jean, is Mango Cornet as waxy as it looks?...sometimes PP looks like that and at other times not at all...love the look.

Had to bump off a lot of snails this morning, they were everywhere, except where the copper tape is...it's wonderful to see the young trees full of blossom and not a single snail eating them...my daughter says that I'm courting bad karma by murdering the snails but I said that the plant gods are very pleased with me so the karma and the gods can sort it out between them... :-)

Hi Gena and Neroli,
My Iochroma seedlings that I thought had kicked the bucket have started to grow again...They were just little dry sticks, but have started to sprout from the base...good thing I didn't tip the pot out...

It's going to be a warm one most places today, so there will be some panting Brugmansias out there...I had one cross in particular that held up very well last year in the heat..it was A.Swingtime x A.Exotic while others were wilting it wasn't fazed a bit...it should flower this year hopefully...
Dianne.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 3, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9294967

Shaun, there are several different aureas there. Most from you , thank you. Aurea Lucas does very well here too.
Of course the big boys in the ground are the two GHAs or should I say three. The one that put up the double trunk from the roots, looks like two trees next to each other.
At the moment , it is growing taller time as they all decide who is going to be the highest.
Soon there will be so many aurea buds . Aureas love me , it seems.

Dianne, I find Mango Cornet not waxy at all . just a nice firm flower. Now Clementine is very waxy.

Going out today, but tomorrow, more repotting of the brugs. Should be all done over the weekend ready for summer.

Shaun most of the sanguineas were in before any of the other coldies,so are all about
4 foot high with most getting Ys.
I have a couple of the English coldies that have reached around 3 1/2 foot tall.
Maybe I'll see a flower this year, but I doubt it.

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

October 3, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9295122

Here is another JXB bloom, speckled for your viewing pleasure :-) (And yes, the sky is that blue.)
PS That birthday cake and *real* coffee sounded delicious, Chrissy!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

October 3, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9295144

The speckling should be a little less grainy looking here.
When the weather heats up the blooms will pretty much change from white to pink without this intermediate colouring.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 3, 2012
11:07 PM

Post #9295372

Chrissy has posted on BGI that her husband will be in hospital for a couple of days so she will not be posting in that time...lets hope he makes a quick recovery.

That speckling is lovely cestrum, How old is that plant now?
Dianne

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

October 3, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9295383

Here it is now. The yellower bits are turning white but the speckling is still there. Should be pure pink tomorrow.

That's bad news; I was still thinking of the lovely birthday she had--hopefully all will work out well, and soon.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2012 4:30 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
12:12 AM

Post #9295395

Yes we are all hoping that the comes home better then he left
Take care Chrissy

Cestrum they are looking very pretty hope they do good for you

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 5, 2012
12:25 AM

Post #9296346

hi everyone ...hubby says stay home now, Bushfire conditions here. 34C winds, very dry grass in the surrounding fields.
A bit scary. He is still in the Hospital, they let him out for a couple of hours this morning, to sort out a couple of things, but he had to go back in order for a second operation on that finger.

I need to be here to keep the area watered just in case.We were almost burn't up in 2001, this feels like very similar conditions.

Do a rain dance everyone, we might need it this Summer. Spring has gone in a blink.

Dianne I have an Ivoire bloom opening at three times the size I have seen before ...amazing ! it is the only plant blooming right now in these very stressful conditions. Hopefully the Wind will leave enough of it, so I can see how it turns out.

Loving the photos everyone !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 5, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9296749

Ahhhhh lovely cooler conditions this morning, such a relief, they say it will remain milder for a few days now.
Thank goodness, we may even get a shower if we are lucky. So grateful for that.

So after this weekend Australia will have 5 different time zones ! hmmm.
Enjoy your morning everyone.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

October 5, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9296793

Sounds like the medical emergency is over or at least contained into something treatable? Good news indeed! But the ever-present risk of bushfire is a real worry. Will your new place face the same bushfire risk?
I think Allan will be doing the raindance with you, Chrissy :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 5, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9296810

Thanks cestrum, he was/is in real danger of losing the finger. He is a very strong healthy man but 75 is 75.

Yes it looks bad for up North ...we had those conditions yesterday, very scary ! this reprieve is only for a few days, then back into the danger zone.

I hope you get some relief up there.

Here it is the only Brug in Bloom right now ...what a brave bloom it is too, almost unbelievable considering the dreadful conditions, it is very grey and spitting outside (no snakes ^_^).

chrissy

Ivoire the brave ! much larger than previously seen.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 5, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9296970

A pic of my precious bud. Arborea X Sanguinea It has another 2 buds now as well. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 5, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9297161

Looking forward to seeing that little bloom Colleen ...well done !

Jean loved seeing your seedlings over at BGI .

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 5, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9297171

Very exciting Colleen...can't wait to see your first bloom, with an Arborea pod parent, hopefully it will be fragrant...
That's probably Ivoire's normal size Chrissy...I was surprised to see the small ones this winter...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
1:25 AM

Post #9297215

CHrissy im so happy the worst is over for your mealy Bull Hubby hope he can come home soon

the weather is crap here in Melbourne and it looks the same for the next 2 days but the plants are loving it, Nothing to report but the seeds are till popping so more potting up hahahah never ends with the babies

Love the look of Ivoire has such a strong aurea trait so it will be a good member to breed with

Colleen it looks like your A x.S is doing well my "Flava' that you sent me is also growing well weather it blooms this spring or not i can not tell

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 6, 2012
3:03 AM

Post #9297223

Hooray it's raining, real rain ! cold but who cares ^_^

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9297225

Go chrissy now we need it for Allan

hope its a down pour for you

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 6, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9297232

Yes I hope everyone up North gets some rain, blowing as hard as I can.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 6, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9297826

Cool but sunny morning ...lots of rain last night.

Allan first Mango Cornet x Pink Panther is poking it's nose up ^_^

Hope everyone is enjoying their day.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9297836

HI every one, another cold wet day here looking at long term forecast it will be a wet and cold week with no tem in my area over 13oC and going down to -1oC monday night but that will change from Hour to Hour

i have just gone out and bought 3x20kg Rooster poo its about $8-10 cheaper then Dynamic Lifter and dose the same job so money in my pocket

I hope every ones plants are coming along and putting on shoots all over the place and those lush fat flower buds also

have a great day
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

October 6, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9297902

Thanks everyone for willing some rain my way, but still nothing. Only 12 mm of rain in my rain gauge in the last 11 weeks. Grass is really going brown now! Possible storm predicted for Thursday next week so I live in hope. Temperature predicted for Brisbane today is 35 c but I am hoping it may not get that high where I live. The brugs are sulking in this heat and I hate to rhink about my next water bill.
Hope everyone's seedlings are going well. I have heaps of seedlings, some 4 " tall now, and I am already wondering if I have planted too many seeds?

Shaun, I see that you are back on Ebay again so you must have sorted out the mis-understanding.

Wayne, the first bloom buds are forming on "Frilly Dilly". I am hoping my blooms are as big as yours. I assume your plant is in the ground and mine is in a large pot, so my blooms may not be as large as yours.

Allan
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9297909

Yes Allan it was the second round of Item Withdraw from ebay because of Drug & Drug Paraphernalia, i closed the shop which was a stupid thing to have in the first place and the value was not there when you have your items removed more times then there on
I have complained about the fees that i was also charged and inquired about whom was reporting me on ebay. i spoke to them about what i would have to do if this happens again. Gil said to take legal action or threaten them with it any but that's a bit harsh and i dont have that type of $$$$ as eBay=EVILBAY has

I hope the weather don't hit those heights up there either have you got a under ground soaker hose in the Brug Garden this will keep them happier throw the very hot days keeping the water up to them via the feeder roots and not over them with the sun pelting down on them which will BOIL there leaves & Stems. I find it very helpful myself

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 7, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9299156

My Creamsickle crosses have germinated Shaun ...that has perked me up no end. So yours should pop soon. Hooray !
More of My TTx Heart of Gold up.
More of Heart of Gold x TT up.
Samba Dancer x Lovely Lady up
Sam crosses are all still popping up
Lots of other bumps now appearing in the cups ...
Hope it's all happening for you and your dear little ones too.

As we all know, it's it's a long way to go yet but you can't help that excitement when those babies start to say Whhhhhaaaa!
Love those babies !

❤♫❤♫❤.*`*..♥☼♥.*`*.♫❤♫
❤♫❤
chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

October 7, 2012
11:10 PM

Post #9299183

Chrissy.. What great genes in those seedlings you have germinating!! Loved the photo of Samba Dancer which you shared on FB. I looked up the parentage and yes, another one with Ecuador Pink in the breeding. Monika has used EC a lot with her hybridizing. I think I can learn from that.
Although I lost all my Rubirosa X Sam seeds, I now have several small seedlings up with Rubirosa X Birkonigin seeds.
Allan
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
11:42 PM

Post #9299184

Chrissy all of the seed of Creamsickle X.Super Spot &reverse cross about 14 in total so there could be some amazing blooms in there but we also have then both ways to cross back on to each other

I have so many popping up Bergkonigin X. i have about 10 crosses with it in could not help my self

Allan i have a few with Sam in it such as Super Rose & Rubirosa i hope that the seedlings are doing what they have to this time around for you

Talking about Samba Dancer its a stunner very good work Monika Gottschalk dose in Germany and yes she uses EP alot

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 8, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9299832

Good morning everyone, it's jolly cold here this morning after rain too last night.

I couldn't sleep last night so I posted some of my older seedlings for the data at BGI as requested by Mary., I lost some of my pictures when the old puter blew up, but I decided to put what I have into the data bank, more to go but I am very tired so I might leave it until I have had some rest.
It bought back some great memories posting some of the earlier Brugmansia results.
So of course, I am so looking forward to the latest little darlings blooming aren't you ?
Have a great day !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 9, 2012
12:44 AM

Post #9300287

Sigh ...very cold, perhaps even frost possible over the next few days, I wish the Weather people would make up their minds.
I hope the frost stays away from our gardens.Slugs everywhere !
How about you ?

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9300303

Chrissy it did look like there could have been a cold snap but the weather has changes for the better nothing below 2oC in the next week or so which is good news

Sorry that its so friggen cold there but you are at the mountains and the wind and clouds get cough just before them possibly where you live are surrounding areas similar to here at the foot hills of the Dandenongs.

I don't have many slugs here any more as i am very persistent and head out almost every night to collect them and Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll them i may find the odd one here & there but not alot of them any more. slugs and snails breed in grass and lay there eggs at the base of the grass so its a really hard chore to get rid of them if your got long grass around that dose not get maintained often but im sure that you already know that

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
11:35 PM

Post #9301227

Its been an overcast day here and a very productive one at that
I have potted more seedlings up in to 3" pots where they will sit for a while.
I do however have to go and get some potting mix another trailer load which dose not really do alot of pots but its a heck cheaper then getting bag by bag from garden suppliers and or Bunnings

I am now on week 4 of my Bean via Brug topic and here is what its looking like the plants are starting to thicken up but there is no markedly difference between the two plants
Plant 1 is with beans
Plant 2 with out beans
I do how ever think that the plant with the beans i is looking a little under the weather, What i put on one plant i also do to the other i use the Kitchen scales to make sure that the weight is the same for both when adding Chook poo and lqd ferts this is so neither get the added benefit of over fert ect

This 1st 3 starters i used Brugmansia 'Betty Marshall'(Seedling) x.'Rosalla'

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
11:37 PM

Post #9301228

this is the plant that dose have the Beans in it and it dose look a lot less healthy then the one with out

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9301229

and this is the one with out the beans it looks greener then the other and starting to really bulk up

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
11:52 PM

Post #9301230

This is the Little lone Brug in my garden the only flower in about 2 months so im happy with it, Iv also even pollinated it with aurea(form)
as you may notice i pollinate every thing with aurea(form) but this year i will be doing it more with in the aurea group itself and to actually find out what is related or not
GHA +=- aurea(form) ,,, can i ask you all to try this cross both ways to see iif it work also i will be trying it a number of times, I think that in autumn i had a pod of this cross but cant remember so ill try again, Just like aurea X.'Culebra' which im going to try again this year the seed pod is still on the plant and its quite hard and im sure full of babies waiting to pop but we need a week or 2 of great weather

Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 10, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9301302

Sorry I am so late, just popped in to say FFA x Mango Cornet are up ^_^ thankyou Allan ! I almost forgot to check and then Bingo ...there they were.

I hope everyone's plants, cuttings and seeds are doing ok considering the weather.

All looking fine there Shaun, maybe too many beans in the pot ? the last little cutie is a sweetie.
More cold wet weather on it's way then a sudden jump into 36C

I may be very sporadic in the next few days, still awaiting the Doctors on how much of hubby's finger they can save, he is always working with his hand on precision engineering etc so it will effect his ability to do things.

Take care, perhaps you might like to start a new thread Shaun, don't forget to leave a road sign.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #9302137

as Chrissy has asked i have make a new thread and so we continue to venture in to the Australian Brugmansia Future

welcome 1 & all
we have moved to here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1284253/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America