Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pottery, Clay and Ceramics: QUESTION!

Communities > Forums > Pottery, Clay and Ceramics
bookmark
Forum: Pottery, Clay and CeramicsReplies: 5, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9283818

Hi all!!
I have a question: I Made a platter for a friend's daughter who is getting married. As you know I have a msll kiln and the platter barely fit. I used some kiln shelf liner to lean the platter against. It did great! BUT some of the soft shelf linerstuck tot he small spots... how can I remmove that and retouch those spots without firing again. Also the center is a leaf impression. I wiped the glaze on then wiped it off so the veins would show. Can I use a clear finishing solvent that is used on enamel?

Advice needed!

Deb
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9293529

These are my favorite Dremel grinding stones I use for small sharp edges on ceramics. They come in a couple of different shapes, but this seems the most useful, since I have the others and I always grab this one...
http://www.toolorbit.com/Dremel/Dremel-84922.html

As far as the question about clear finishing solvent... I'm not exactly sure what you're using it for. Is it because you wiped off too much glaze? If you wiped off too much glaze and the clay is too "naked" now, you could just put some clear glaze on it and re-fire. The platter should have shrunk more in your last glaze firing, and might fit better in your kiln now. Plus, you could touch up those ground-down places with some more clear before you re-fire it, and make the grind job less obvious.

Hope to have helped!

Rose
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9293531

Oh, and pix please!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9294151

you are too kind ok!
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9295703

Your platter turned out FABULOUS. Obviously you solved the problems!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9295742

Yeahhhh I was pretty pleased with it! THANKS sweetie!
Deb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America