Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: Vanilla ID's? Are you good at navigating types from leaf?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 2, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

September 23, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9284028

I have these 3 types of Vanilla together, I have others but I know what those ID's are.
I have 2 I can't seem to put my finger on, the one on the right I know is a Planifolia in pics 1 & 2.
The one to the left and center are the ones I am having issues with.
These are the ones of individual leaf pics in photo 3, 4 and 5 I am having problems finding.
So how good are you at ID'ing vanilla by leaf shape? Thanks for your help ^_^

Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower   Thumbnail by FlaFlower
Click an image for an enlarged view.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 23, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9284203

i always thought that planifolia was the only species of vanilla orchid...obviously i am no help.

maybe this will be of some help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_orchid

This message was edited Sep 23, 2012 6:20 PM

and this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=vanilla&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

This message was edited Sep 23, 2012 6:21 PM
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

September 23, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9284261

Nope over 100 types in the family and I have 7.
Vanilla has everything from big huge leafed ones to semi leafed ones to leafless types.
I have two planifolia the normal commercial one and the super varigated, also a semi-leafless, a larger leafed type, a total leafless and these 2 odd ball no named ones. All of which with exception to the planifolia DG doesn't list.
Yea I have been to those sites I just need someone who is good with the Vanilla family in general, the leaf shapes are different but only slightly and I am not good at slight differences.
Some one will know...I will wait ^_^

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America