Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Hardening off tomatoes and peppers

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

What is your procedure if you work during the week?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Put them in a shady place, like under a covered patio, or under a tree for a couple days
Then,gradually move them out further into the full sun. Make sure they're hydrated and don't dry out during the day.

I'd sit em in a tray and fill it with about an inch of water. They can take a drink when they want during the day. Or just water em well before you leave. They should be ok.

Linda

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Put them in a shady place, like under a covered patio, or under a tree for a couple days
Then,gradually move them out further into the full sun. Make sure they're hydrated and don't dry out during the day.

I'd sit em in a tray and fill it with about an inch of water. They can take a drink when they want during the day. Or just water em well before you leave. They should be ok.

Take about a week to 10 days hardening off outside before you plant them.

Linda

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I stick them outside as soon as they germinate, and only bring them inside if it's going to be cold or windy or exceptionally hot. Usually at night it's too cold for them so they come in then, too. Starting them in larger pots (4") to begin with helps with with the problem of the pots drying out, and you also don't have to re-pot them at all, usually.

I don't think this would work in colder climates, but our springs tend to be very warm and it's only a few "gotcha" nights that keeps me from planting in the garden much sooner.

Honestly, most things I direct seed -- it's just not worth the effort and mess of starting seedlings when I have such a long growing season. (Plus it's hard to keep the cat from eating the seedlings.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.