Photo by Melody

Dianthus: How did your Dianthus make it through the hot, dry summer?

Communities > Forums > Dianthus
bookmark
Forum: DianthusReplies: 6, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 23, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9284130

I was out looking at my Dianthus plants and most of them did pretty well this year. We had horrible weather in June and into July here - no rain in June and highs into the 90's day after day. July was a little better but still too dry. Rain started to come in August and the hot weather moderated some. But it was still a brutal Summer. I had dug and cleaned the grass out of D. Firewitch, which caused my clump to be much smaller. It did bloom and I saw a few new blooms on it recently. My D. Strawberry Parfait bloomed quite well in the spring, and then has bloomed a little off and on all summer. D. Bath's Pink is new this year, as is D. Scent First Sugar Plum and a pot full of Cosmic Purple, which I received in a trade this year. None of these bloomed. My D. Siberian Blues bloomed well and for a long time. My very large pot of mixed annual Dianthus lived through the winter, bloomed profusely in the spring and then has rebloomed off and on after I deadheaded the plants. All in all, I think my Dianthus performed well in spite of the weather.

I am looking forward to seeing D. Scent First Sugar Plum and D. Cosmic Purple bloom for the first time next year.

How did all of your Dianthus plants do this year?

Linda
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9284168

Not to well. I kept them watered through the summer. Now my carnations are comming back. Luciee
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 4, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9350048

Mine did really well. I had the Fruit Punch series for the first time this year. Some were outstanding, others didn't bloom as much.

I do want to try the Scent First ones. Dianthus seem to be my new collection.
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9351306

Which one of the Fruit Punch series to you have, pollyk? I looked these up and they do look very interesting. Did yours bloom just in the spring or did you get a second bloom from them in the fall?

I think Dianthus are wonderful. They ask for so little in care and give so much in blooms. That very large pot of the annual Dianthus that I've had for two years still has a couple of flowers on it, in spite of all the freezes and frosts that we've already had. You just can't beat that.

Anyone else? I'd love to hear about how your dianthus plant did this past growing season.
Linda

luciee, have your plants recovered from the heat and drought yet?
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9351580

Yes! hey are growing very well now. Thanks for asking. They really do like cool weather. I have some carnations "clove drops" on the east facing front porch and every time I go out the front door they smell wonderful. Luciee {;^)
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9351681

I have most of the fruit punch series. All bloomed intermittently, and some bloomed constantly, and I didn't keep track, but all in all they were good bloomers.
Igrowinpa
Beaver Falls, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9351772

If you think about it, pollyk, make a note of the ones that bloom constantly and post here for us to see. It's nice to have a Dianthus that blooms more than once or twice. I'm sure we'd all like to know about these constant bloomers so that we can add them to our garden wish lists or even purchase them.

Were there any of them that you liked better than the others? Perhaps you had a favorite one because you liked the color of the flowers on it?

I understand that the Scent First Sugar Plum-love the name!- I planted last year will be spring blooming. My Strawberry Parfait blooms in the spring, takes a rest and resumes blooming off and on until the cold weather.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dianthus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
the Dianthus are Blooming! Weezingreens 20 Aug 25, 2008 2:26 AM
Dividing Dianthus 2zeus 19 Mar 5, 2007 3:08 PM
Dianthus at HD FLStu 13 Apr 18, 2007 10:29 PM
Dainty Dianthus Shirley1md 16 Jun 25, 2007 1:14 AM
Need dianthus for a very sunny bed silverfluter 22 Oct 22, 2010 8:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America