Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: Found Peas in my Garden!

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MustBeEden
Payne, GA

September 23, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9284223

We just moved into an old house... the previous owner apparently had a garden out back with mint, garlic, and we just now noticed some peas. Can someone identify them? I guess I'd namely like to know if they're edible. Thanks!

Thumbnail by MustBeEden   Thumbnail by MustBeEden   Thumbnail by MustBeEden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9284273

Southern pea/cowpea, quite edible , best as green shellies. Difficult to name variety at this stage.
MustBeEden
Payne, GA

September 23, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9284411

Thanks for the response! I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by "shellies"? Im guessing that means "out of the pod". Also, do peas become ripe or can you eat them anytime? And what are the little wing-shaped things in the middle picture? I know nothing about gardening!!
victorengel
Austin, TX

September 23, 2012
10:33 PM

Post #9284522

It's not actually a pea, though. It's a bean.

Not sure what you are referring to as wing shaped. I see two flower buds. Is that what you're talking about?
victorengel
Austin, TX

September 23, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9284524

P.S. I would like to find documentation that backs this up, but beans that are called peas were historically done so to avoid taxes on beans.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9284621

Southern peas/cowpeas are Vigna unguiculata as opposed to bean which are commonly Phaseolus vulgaris. Many different species are called "beans " however including coffee beans. However, to a southerner calling a pea a bean is fighting words. Both got thier common names (beans or peas) from their original shapes.kidney shaped versus round.
Shellies are full sized peas or beans, picked while the pod is still alive. Cowpeas can be used dry, but many of us prefer them in the shellie stage. Same is true for lima beans (Phaseolus lunatus). English peas Pisum sativum is almost alwyas used as a green shellie. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=cowpea&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

As Victor stated, the the wing shaped structures in the second photo are unopen blossoms. They come in several colors depending on variety. There are over 150 named varieties. Several are yellow including Blackeye peas and close relatives.
victorengel
Austin, TX

September 24, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9284687

I was not calling a pea a bean. I was calling a bean a bean. :)

Pea and lentil are generally more specific words than bean. Bean describes legumes that are not peas or lentils. I could use your same argument in reverse. Peas are Pisium, so cowpeas are not peas. Reclassification has further moved some of these from one genus to another, so restricting the term pea or bean to one genus doesn't work.

If shape is used as a determining factor, I don't see how a cowpea could be a pea since it is kidney shaped.
victorengel
Austin, TX

September 24, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9284692

Here's a nice article showing many examples of peas, beans, and lentils:

http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/bp_legumev.html

MustBeEden
Payne, GA

September 24, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9284722

im thinking they may be crowder peas? The peas are kind of squarish on the ends from being jammed into the pod. I ate one raw out of the pod and they are very sweet and fresh. I hope i can harvest them before the ants do! They seem to like them.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9284747

True. If they are square on the ends, they would be one of the crowder peas.
victorengel
Austin, TX

September 24, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9285060

Here's another difference between peas and beans that doesn't require fruit. Peas have an even number of leaflets on each leaf with a tendril in the center (end). Beans have an odd number of leaflets with the end being a leaflet rather than a tendril.

I haven't tested this distinction on many plants, by the way.

Since there seems to be some dispute on this subject, I guess I should add a disclaimer that this is just my opinion.
cowpea123
Coushatta, LA

September 24, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9285220

Peas beans they all tast good. I agree with Farmerdill if I called a pinkeye purplehull pea a bean I would be laughed out of town! But a yard long cowpea is called a bean. Go figure.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America