Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Fall Houseplants / Tropicals REVEALS

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 57, Views: 585
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9284369

Let's all take a few minutes, in our own words and photos, to show appreciation to our secret Buddy for the new plants they took the time to share!

This link takes you back to our guidelines and is also where you can check your Buddy's preferences: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277639/

PARTICIPANTS
ahoogstra / Alicia -- > REC'D from strange2u
careyana / Carey --> REC'D from goldhillal / Crystal
chellflower / Chell -- > REC'D from diamond9192002 / Anita
diamond9192002 / Anita -- > REC'D from GAgirl1066 / Paula
FruitOfTheVine / Susan -- > REC'D from hartzell81 / Heather
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- > REC'D from toy747 and chellflolwer / Chell
goldhillal / Crystal -- > REC'D from ahoogstra / Alicia
hartzell81 / Heather --> REC'D from Kim_M / Kim
happgarden / Joyce -- > REC'D from Tina_A / Tina
Kim_M / Kim -- > REC'D from FruitOfTheVine / Susan
strange2u / Paul -- > REC'D from happgarden / Joyce
Tina_A / Tina -- > REC'D from careyana / Carey
toy747 / Lizette -- > REC'D from GAgirl1066 / Paula

This message was edited Nov 27, 2012 7:06 PM

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9290460

Thanks Kim_M. These are awesome. I received Tues or Wed. Not sure which day DH had surgery on Mon the whole week is a blur.
She sent:
6 2in pots for cutting (love them I always recycle salad containers from Cracker Barrel)
1 baggie of potting soil for the cuttings
1 Rosary Vine
1 Strawberry Begonia Baby
1 (?) I'd ask the cat but I don't think she read the description before she ate the bag*
1 Fittonia (it's in the cat pot)
1 Spider Plant (pot in the middle with the town scene on it)
and
1 Nephytis "Butterfly" (teal pot)

The Fittonia & Nephtytis are exotic angel plants. I *love*the leaves on the Fittonia. I love all of them. Plus the cats have not tried to snack on them. So double yay!
I will try to post this pic but I've tried 3 times & the internet is selectively hating me :/
* Kinsey (the cat) did not actually consume the plastic bag. She stole & chewed the heck out of it while I was potting up. That cat has a strange obssession with plastic bags.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9290874

Great! There is a detailed list of all the plants in the bag with the coral vine seeds I sent. For the 3 cuttings if you can't find the label :-) Hope all went well with the surgery and all the plants thrive for you.

Happy Growing!
Kim

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9291498

Ah! I'll have to snag it out of there. I forgot about the seeds! Surgery went well, recovering @ home now. Fingers crossed that all this helps his pain!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9293887

Heather, would you like for me to use the photo you were able to D-mail me?

They all looked great, Kim!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 2, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9294224

My package from Alicia came today and it is wonderful!!
She sent;
a bromilead (N. Brandy Wine) and it has a pup!
A beautifully branched draceana. It has such an attractive shape.
Areca Palm. Very attractive. It will brighten the window over my sink this winter.
decorative orange pepper--it was smiling an orange smile at me when I opened the box!
Celosia-I have admired these in the store but never got one. i like it very much and will attempt to save some seed as it matures.

Thanks so much Alicia. Great selection!

Thumbnail by goldhillal

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 2, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9294249

Very nice Crystal! I love the peppers...I just bought some myself.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9294443

Wonderful boxes guys. Mine will go out today, it is sitting here beside me at the office just waiting for it's flight.

Crystal what beautiful colors and big plants, really really nice. That will liven up the winter for sure.

Harzell your house sounds like mine, way too much help with the plants.

Ok this weekend they are threatening me again with low low 30's like 30...ughhhh. Least it waits to the weekend because I don't have those tropicals in for the winter yet. Been working on it but...not done...ughhh
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9295806

Today I receive a package from Sue - FruitOfTheVine
Thanks so much I really LOVE the Nephthytis 'Pink Allusion' and Arrowhead Vine

I also received some beautiful Floral lampworked beads which I will make a rosary out of. Thank You!

Plants I received are:
1. Arrowhead Vine
2. Begonia sp.
3. Euphorbia graminea 'Diamond Frost'
4. Euphorbia trigona 'Cathedral Cactus'
5. Pothos
6. Christmas Cactus
7. Nephthytis 'Pink Allusion'
8. Dracena 'Magenta'

Haven't potted them yet but on my way to go by new pots... for my new plants :-)

Thumbnail by Kim_M   Thumbnail by Kim_M         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 4, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9295934

Awesome Box Kim! Have fun picking out new pots!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9296063

Since you'd mentioned wanting leafy plants, Kim, you seemed to be the logical choice for me to send to since that's basically the type I have. On the Pink Illusion, there are two small pots of those in my kitchen. One is under a light and the other is tucked away in a corner. It's amazing how different the colors of the leaves get. Enjoy and would love to see the Rosary you craft with the glass beads.

Crystal, your plants look so festive. Very nice, Alicia.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 5, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9296775

WOW...strange spoiled me! I will try to post pics on Sunday...but these are my new babies!...Bloody Mary Philodendron (HUGE) Ensete Maurelii Banana (GORGEOUS) Red Milk Bush (HUGE & Beautiful), and...A mini Eyelash Begonia ( strickingly beautiful!) Needless to say I LOVE THEM!!!!!! Thank you so much Strange & Thank you Fruity for hosting such a great swap!
Alicia
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9297553

Is there a halloween swap this year?

Buddy should of gotten their plants on Friday, hope everything arrived ok.
strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

October 6, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9298138

Sorry, I've been playing catchup, and didn't know this thread existed. I did post a thank you post tonight, on the other thread.
Thanks again Joyce, I love everything, and they look great.

I received Silver Lace Begonia, Peperomia acuminata, Bromelaid Tillandsia, upright elephant ear, and Stingray Alocasia.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9298341

Glad they arrived safely Paul. Nice to mail close to home it gets there fast regional postage is cheap...rofl. those are my favorite plants hopefully the leaf emerging from the big upright made it without damage there wasn't anyway to get the opened leaf in the box.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9298397

What a neat variety you got there, Paul.
Thanks for another great box, happ.

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 7, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9298904

OK here are my babies I recv'd :)

Thumbnail by ahoogstra   Thumbnail by ahoogstra         

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9299032

[quote="FruitOfTheVine"]Heather, would you like for me to use the photo you were able to D-mail me?

They all looked great, Kim!
[/quote]

Oh yes please! I haven't had a chance to just breathe this week much less mess with my ridiculous phone.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9299285

Here's Heather's loot from Kim...

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9299302

Wow those are really nice plants, so glad you could post a pic for her.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9299558

Aweeee Nice Pots!
strange2u
Hinsdale, IL

October 8, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9300263

I'm really glad you like your plants ahoogstra.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9304118

Here's the Rosary I made from the beads I received in my box :-)

Thumbnail by Kim_M   Thumbnail by Kim_M         

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9304170

How beautiful and elegant, Kim. Can only take credit for sending the lampwork bead on this one though. You have a great eye, very tidy work.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9304201

Aweeee Thanks!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9305369

Thought I'd update here and also on our chat thread with the list of folks waiting to receive. If you haven't already mailed your Buddy's plants, please do so one day this week!

chellflower / Chell
diamond9192002 / Anita
FruitOfTheVine / Susan
GAgirl1066 / Paula -- > Volunteered to trade with toy747 and has received; waiting for another one in our group.
happgarden / Joyce
Tina_A / Tina
toy747 / Lizette -- > will receive from GAgirl1066 who is planning to mail tomorrow
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9306315

OMG I just got the bestest box from Tina and it is full of things I wanted and love, plus a special gift...it is so darn cute and since my living room couch is denim it couldn't match better...rofl...it is a planter than looks like a cowboy boot and it even has a spur!...so darn cute.
Plant wise the list just goes on and on and really big plants!
1. amorphophallus from Tejas tropicals...I am so excited and the bulb is really good size, these are one of my favorite plants!
2. jade plant and it is really full and nice
3. crassula argentea hobbit, 2 pieces of that one, also really nice.
4. aspargus fern and two really really big pieces of it, that is one of my favorite ferns and my very first apartment a million years ago that is what I had.
5. portulacaria afva - love the dark stem and the varigated leaves really attractive and two good starts of that.
6. and an envelope of morning glory seeds.
7. echeveria "sleepy"...rofl. That's me.
8. graptoveria "moonglow" - another wonder plant.
Hope I didn't miss listing anything and everything arrived in great shape. I am so darn lucky and Tina what a great box you sent me. I just got home from work but wanted to post and will post a pic as soon as I get everything out and sitting pretty!
Edited because I did miss listing 7 and 8...knew I would do something like that!

This message was edited Oct 15, 2012 4:11 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9306398

Here are the pics of the great plants, I am shocked I have them all planted...rofl.
The plants in the boot are some great plants I got from other friends...but look great I think in the boot. Does anyone know what that skinny narrow plant is?

Can't tell you how much I appreciate the plants they are great and packed beautiful, couldn't be happier with the selection, I love them all. I saw on another forum where they put decorative rock on top of the soil on their succulants, that will be the next thing I do.

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9306493

happ, those look awesome! And am impressed you already have them planted. Mini gardens are so much fun and missed Elfie not being able to repeat hers this year. We have matching Blue Myrtles :) Mine has a new top knot from being on the deck all Summer, just brought it in and oh how funny it has white pebbles on top of the soil. I bet using them with succulents works well too. Really like that boot planter, a neat reminder for you that it came from Texas. Is the bulb in the ball one of those 'stinkies'? I never knew you like them.

chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9307541

my partner's box went out today.
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9307542

my partner's box went out today.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9308745

Fruity it dawned on me why I got so much done the day I received my plants, DH was gone...rofl so I was home alone...rofl...
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 20, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9310959

I recieved my box yesterday from Anita. She sent...

jade plant
ardisia red
pepperomia rainbow
dumbcane
alocasia poly
anthurium red

these are all nice sized plants, I especially like the alocasia poly and the anthurium.
Thanks Anita for a wonderful box, and thanks to Fruity fro hosting yet another great swap. Looking forward to our spring round!

This message was edited Oct 20, 2012 11:40 PM
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 20, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9310962

Oops! forgot to load the photo...been a long day, LOL

Thumbnail by chellflower

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9311166

Those are really pretty. Nice sizeplants.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 21, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9311479

My box came Thurs., but I was heading outof town and I just got back. I will post pictures later or tomorrow. Really tired...11 hour drive.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9311517

Great selections and very nice sizes, Chell. Thanks for another great job, Anita.

If you haven't mailed, time is fleeting. Please do so no later than Wednesday. This will ensure folks waiting receive by next week-end. Not sure about the rest of you, but we've already had several nights in the low 40's.

Waiting to receive or check in to let us know they have:
diamond9192002 / Anita
FruitOfTheVine / Susan
Tina_A / Tina
toy747 / Lizette

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9312267

Chell I'm so glad those came in good shape. I always fret over shipping.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9314641

I've received word that your plants, Anita and Lizette, are on their way. Both of you should receive them by the week-end if not before.

It's hard to believe another year has slipped by and is time for our Annual Christmas exchange. It's always popular and you're all invited to participate!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285685/
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9315318

Did anyone receive plants today?

Heather, would you please check in. TY
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9315739

My plants came in while I was working on Wednesday. My son picked them up on Thursday. Hopefully I will get a chance to see them today. As soon as I am able to I will send pictures.
toy747
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 26, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9315823

I got mine yesterday !
Thanks so much!
Will post pictures later today.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 26, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9315850

I'm sorry I haven't posted, I lost my dang camera. Anyway, chellflower sent:
Mum - Country girl
Tradescantia blushing bride
dracaena - lemon lime
christmas cactus
aloe vera
philodendron micans
spider plant
hoya wayetti
and a beautiful stained glass lampshade. It matches perfectly with my house.
Thank you Chell, I love it all. I am so sorry I haven't posted before or let you know I got it.
I am scrambling to move all my plants and to try to figure out where I am going to put all of them.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9317205

Heather, oh my gracious, these are all lovely plants!

Look everybody at the Exotic Angels that arrived today in super shape already potted. How nice was that?! They are...
Gynura aurantiaca "Purple Passion" with soft beautiful velvety leaves. Never have seen this one offered locally and did a little research. It can become a very long vine and is purported easy to propagate from cuttings or leaves.
Love any and all Philos. This one is named 'Silver' with cool leaf markings and lots of new growth.
This huge healthy Fern named 'Delilah' can be hung and may do so near the shower.

Thank you so much, Heather. These are already on my light stand enjoying their new home. You did a super nice job and the kitty card is extra sweet!

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9317356

Yay! So glad they got there in good condition. I thought the purple plant was super it's on my hint hint list for the hubster. :)
I love the EA plants & the way they have their website set up. You can go there & just type in the plant # from the tag for detailed care instructions. That fern was the first thing that caught me eye. It pretty much screamed "Buy me now!" the hanger should snap right back in no problem (except for finding the slots under the leaves. I couldn't send them not potted :) I don't trust my wrapping skills or my cat that much.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9333534

One more box to go and we'll look forward to our next Houseplants / Tropicals exchange in the Spring.

Thank you so much, Tina, for your patience!
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 15, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9334257

GAgirl, so glad you like them.
I totally understand about trying to get so much done at once...we just got new carpets and still don't have all of our furniture back in place so the house is still in shambles and I haven't even begun to get all of my plants indoors yet.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

November 16, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9334492

The chaos that result from painting, remodeling, etc is enough to put me off doing those sorts of things till I get to the Have to.
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 16, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9335212

yea, we waited a long time for the 'have to' ... I ripped the old caarpet out of the living room a year ago - been walking on bare plywood since. Still haven't finished replacing wall trim from our last project... guess I'll finally get it done AFTER we finish the guest bathroom (took that one apart 6 mos ago) ...the more we try to do, the behinder we get, LOL!
Goober_Fairy
Smiths, AL

November 17, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9335331

Hello every one
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 17, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9335438

hello goober...are you out for the holidays yet?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 18, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9336739

It's no surprise who's the slacker here - Tina should have her box either yesterday or tomorrow. :)

Thankfully a few weeks break so Christmas swap shouldn't be a problem. *whew* Midterms are NOT enjoyable!
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9341804

Carey, you are so not a slacker at all. I hope you did good on all your midterms. Last week was my bad week, I had 4 test in class and tomorrow is the last day to take the test online. That's what I'm doing next, right after I plant all the wonderful presents that I got from you. I promise to post pictures before tomorrow. Tina

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9343734

Tina I hope everything arrived in good shape! I was hoping to send at least one other, but it *still* hasn't rooted so that was a no-go.

Thank you for being so understanding. Good luck with the rest of your semester! :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9344080

You ladies amaze me going back to school and still being responsible for your households and furbabies. What I could retain now wouldn't fill a thimble. I'm so proud of ya'll!

Heather, the Fern you shared is doing great in our upstairs bath, as is the 'Silver' Philo. Purple Passion was struggling, not sure why. One day the soil looked too wet, another too dry. I've moved the pot to the back of my kitchen sink where it gets bright morning light and noticed today a wee bit of new top growth.

From my cane Begonias, Devil's Backbone, and larger-leafed Philos I've taken cuttings, hoping they'll take and will be able to share them our next round.

Happy growing, my friends, and look forward to our next round in the Spring.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9344288

I didn't take a picture but kept a list of everything I sent to Tina:

Colocasia "Black Magic"
NOID Dragon Fruit cutting
Stapelia gigantea
Ric Rac orchid cactus
Sanseveria (I haven't tried to figure out what cultivar yet)
Tillandsia (I forget which one)
Leopard Quill
Silver Squill
Aloe "Midnight"
White hoya
Red Christmas cactus
Huernia schneiderianna
and a few fragrant double daffodil bulbs.

This message was edited Nov 27, 2012 9:57 PM

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

November 28, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9344455

Cary, has your dragon fruit ever bloomed? How about your rick rack cactus?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 28, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9344502

Crystal, I only just got the dragon fruit this past spring and the seller said I had just missed the bloom. The piece I sent to Tina wasn't a very large one but it was the only new growth mine had put out (it was pencil thin and about three feet long?????) but it blew over in a windstorm and broke off. Ric-rac just has never bloomed for me. Still looking for ideal conditions for it - although it's been growing strong all year.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America