Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Trash to Treasure: does anyone know what this is called?

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 25, Views: 587
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
2:51 AM

Post #9284559

I have a bed frame that is missing 2 balls, they are porcelain I believe, and I am trying to replace the missing ones, have googled everything I can think of to no avail. There.is a 1/2 " hole through it.

Thumbnail by kobwebz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 24, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9284712

I assume what you are Goggling is something to replace the missing balls with, yes?

If so, here is a thought - go to Home Depot, Lowes, or both, and check the toilet repair aisle. Look for the floats and see what you find. Many times they are oval, but I have seen (and bought) round ones that are about the size you are seeking. Now, obviously they are not porcelain- however, being plastic you can easily cut the size hole you need. Then just paint them to match, use a high gloss finish over them so they will shine like glass. You can faux paint anything to look like anything you want - that's what makes it fun!
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 24, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9285276

yes I have searched every iron bed site, can't find any that look like mine, restoration on antique beds, no luck, fortunately the be has a footboard and headboard so I can use the balls I have just for the headboard but won't have the footboard, it is a bed I got from Spiegal catalog about 28 years ago. X husband thought it humerous to take parts of many things when he moved out that I wouldn't notice, the bed frame was stored in the attic. Left me the table saw without the motor, took one chair from the dining room set which had 8 chairs, etc, Thanks for the idea, and welcome to DG. Annette
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 24, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9285284

I was thinking it looked like a pull chain for a ceiling fan. Perhaps you could find the same size ball in a fan chain on ebay? Just a thought.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
3:22 AM

Post #9285677

The ball is 3" in diameter. thanks for the suggestions here is a close up off the frame.

Thumbnail by kobwebz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rouxcrew

rouxcrew
(Joy) Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9285727

You might email these folks. They do brass bed restoration and talk about being able to reproduce mother of pearl inlays and porcelain. I bet they can help you or point you in the right direction.

http://www.timelessantiques.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=87

Joy

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9285768

If they were at the top of the bed posts, I think they might be called finials. Not sure what they would be called when they are situated as yours are.

My suggestion would be to look on eBay at carpet balls. They come in various diameters and in various designs, in porcelain. The link below is for a seller who offers some in 3 sizes and they are drilled at both ends.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Decorative-ceramic-balls-carpet-ball-procelain-mari-ornaments-/320949236908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4aba10b4ac

You could spray paint them white and they just might do the trick. The ones in the link are $4 each.
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 25, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9285838

Annette,

I can sympathize with the ex story. Mine was cheating on me behind my back. He moved everything of value to her place in another state and left me my clothes, some dishes and silverware and ALL the bills. He did so when I went to work and then called me at work to tell me and say he wanted a divorce. Yeah - that's when I found out about it all ... at work. Men!! ARG!!!

ecnalg sounds like she found something that would work and they come in 3" size! I never heard of a "carpet ball" or know what they have to do with carpets, but hey it looks like what you need - cool! You'd just have to get the hole cut, but I'm sure you could find someone who could do so. If it were me, at only $4, I'd buy a couple extras in case whoever is drilling made a mistake.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9286194

The ones in the link already come drilled at both ends. Most of the others only have a tiny hole. No idea why they are called carpet balls. They're just decorative round balls, many in blue and white patterns.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

September 28, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9288639

Tricks by departing SO's -

Inserting some fresh shrimp into drapery hems
Putting Nair into shampoo bottle
"Decorating" perfect lawn with writings in RoundUp

No - these haven't been done by or to me - just things I have heard of!!
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9290660

for a really good laugh google " the curtain rods story!!"
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9385872

check out ebay item # 221171868904

it may not be exact, but yours will be hard to find. From time to time I see these in lots(always browsing the parts section because I restore old chandeliers), but usually in clear crystal(like this: ebay #261152958691). They are usually considered a lamp part and are usually called spacers.
I've also seen them in slag glass. If you found the right amount, it may be easier to replace all of them with a different ball, such as the clear ones.

Best place to watch is ebay's parts and refurbishing column(http://www.ebay.com/sch/Lamp-Repair-Refurbishing-/13865/i.html), and type in a 6 month automatic search for porcelain spacer, and they will email you if any show up

You also may want to stop by your local lamp shop, and see if they are able to order one for you from their many sources. hope this helps.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2013
10:38 AM

Post #9385949

Kobwez,, did you ever find you porcelain balls you needed? I have some at my old house that I can go get pictures of. I believe I have 4 of them. I have been trying to figure out something to do with them for years, and never did. I would be willing to trade them to you for some plants, or whatever you would think is a fair trade. Mine have roses on them.. I think. Let me know.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2013
7:24 PM

Post #9386633

You know, sometimes no matter how bad the exit tricks are, it's just so darn good to get THEM gone, it's ALLLLLL so worth it!! hehehe

My Ex made a much better Ex than he ever made husband. He paid his debt to me on time and left me alone, what more could I ask for?
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9388203

I did not find them, send pictures of what you have, thanks so much,

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9388317

Sure thing. I will send by Tuesday might. If I forget dmail and remind me. I will be there for 3 days. So plenty if time to get pictures.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2013
6:35 PM

Post #9388663

thank you.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2013
8:01 PM

Post #9388758

No problem!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
2:39 PM

Post #9401668

Ok.. finally got you a picture. Hope it will load from my phone..

GreAT it loaded. I had forgotten just how heavy these were. Must weigh 5 pounds each!!!. I have 4 of them. How many did you need???

Thumbnail by Mud_Elf   Thumbnail by Mud_Elf         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
4:53 PM

Post #9401865

what is the diameter of the ball and the inside hole? they look beautiful!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9401888

I am at my daughters house. I will measure it when I get home and let you know. Will be about an hour or so from now.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 29, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9402067

WOW those are beautiful!!!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9402104

Well darn,, I forgot to measure them..

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2013
8:43 PM

Post #9402117

Ok.. hole is just under 1/2 inch. The balls are 4 inch.

I really thought these would be easy to find. But just spent a long time looking and the only thing I found like mine are very, very, old.

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 12:34 AM
Toffy
Ramona, CA

June 3, 2013
11:26 AM

Post #9544656

I haven't been on Dave's Garden in so so long...Found this Thread...I then went straight out to my Gnome Garden and picked up all 4 of the Porcelain Balls I had bought 20+ years ago. They ended up in the Gnome Garden for the simple reason I had not wanted to part with them, and didn't know what to do with them. 20+ years ago we bought Day Beds for the 2 kids. I bought the Porcelain balls to change out the ones that came with the Girls Bed...but never changed them out and that bed is way way long gone. I just cleaned up the balls and the flowers are great but the thin gold ring on the top and bottom is showing as gone in some spots but noticeable as being there at one time...LOL I had left the screws in them and of course that badly rusted on all 4 balls. The flat top on the top of that screw used to be Brassy and Shiney...not so anymore.
I didn't know these were hard to find...I'm surprised. Mine are the same as the ones Mud_Elf has...how cool is that...hers look great tho"...LOL
I hope you got your problem solved and got the nice looking ones in the pic.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2013 10:29 AM
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2013
4:25 AM

Post #9549565

I still haven't gotten them, need to measure to see if they fit, so busy, moved in my new house in Dec, NY to Tn and immediately got a job at Lowes in outside lawn and garden, not much getting done in the 110 year old house that needs tons of work, am off this weekend will try to find the balls, upstairs somewhere, would love to have the bed back together, thanks!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America