Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Unusual and Bizarre Plants - A Titanic Inflorescence: Devil's tongue

Communities > Forums > Article: Unusual and Bizarre Plants - A Titanic Inflorescence
bookmark
Forum: Article: Unusual and Bizarre Plants - A Titanic InflorescenceReplies: 0, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
femailmailman
Mantua, NJ

September 24, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9284612

At a friend's barbecue, I noticed an attractive yet unusual potted plant. It was about 6 feet tall with an umbrella shaped crown of greenery and the stem/trunk was this strange spotty-striped pattern. The pot was rather large, at least 16" in diameter and there were lititle "babies " sprouting up at the base of the plant.

In all my years I had never seen such a plant. A friend of her husbands had. Given him one of his plant babies last summer. They potted it up and it did well. They brought it in for the winter and stuck it in the basement, they watered it twice ...

She said mid march there was this AWFUL smell in the basement when she went down to do laundry. God AWFUL. She checked the freezer, thinking maybe it croaked and her food had spoiled. Seeing it was fine...she quickly ran upstairs and alerted her husband that "there must be something DEAD down there!". ... Nope. Their Devil's tongue plant had bloomed. As he searched for the "dead" thing in his basement, he almost fell over when he came upon the strange looking bloom perched atop his work bench!

Turns out his friend thought it would be amusing to not warn him...at least they warned me! I left the barbecue with a plant of my own. Unfortunately it did not survive.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Unusual and Bizarre Plants - A Titanic Inflorescence Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Intresting phicks 0 Sep 29, 2008 1:30 PM
Largest flower ? OLeary 1 Sep 29, 2008 2:06 PM
"Day of the Triffids" perenniallyme 2 Sep 25, 2012 10:45 AM
Amorphophallus titanum growing in TN lilliogarden 0 Oct 1, 2008 10:18 PM
What a Leaf! Petalpants 0 Aug 17, 2009 1:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America