Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Confessions of a Compulsive Weeder: WEEDING

Communities > Forums > Article: Confessions of a Compulsive Weeder
bookmark
Forum: Article: Confessions of a Compulsive WeederReplies: 1, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NancyRussell
New Hope, PA

September 24, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9284619

I ALSO LOVE TO WEED FOR ALOT OF THE SAME REASONS: MAKES EVERYTHING LOOK BETTER, PREVENTS WEED SEEDS FROM FORMING AND GIVES ME A BREAK FROM OTHER KINDS OF LABOR INTENSIVE GARDEN WORK. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE NEED FOR GLOVES, THO. I HAVE WEEDED BARE HANDED FOR 60 YEARS AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEM. IF I COME ACROSS POISON IVY I MAKE SURE I DON'T TOUCH THE LEAVES BUT PULL IT OUT AT THE BOTTOM STEM NEAR THE GROUND LEVEL. I HAVE ELIMINATED ONION GRASS, CREEPING CHARLEY, WILD VIOLETS AND OTHER UNNAMED WEEDS FROM THE PROPERTY ALL WITHOUT USING CHEMICALS. I DO LIKE PURSLANE BECAUSE OF ITS EDIBLE QUALITY AND OMEGA 3 SO I DON'T TOUCH THAT EVEN THO THE GROUNDHOGS KNOW ABOUT ITS NUTRICIOUS CONTENT.
julie03me
Branch, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9285572

I too, love to get my fingers down in the dirt. It just doesn't seem as satisfying with gloves on. Unfortunatly, I have found out the hard way that it IS safer to wear the gloves. We moved to this area about three years ago and I discovered that we have an abundance of large wolf spiders, nursery web spiders, jumpers, you name it, we have it. I have found four adult female black widows and relocated them to uninhabited lands. I have been bitten (not by widows) at least three times that I know of. I never felt the bites until later. They felt a bit numb at first, that is why I noticed them. Then they became tingly and itchy. For the next few months I had achy pain in the joint and surrounding area. The one bite that bothered me the most was at the base joint. The spiders are just defending their homes and babies, unfortunatly, we are destroying them while we are trying to make ours nicer. I have had them just wrapped around the end of my finger without bitting (talk about a freaky feeling!).
So, now I try to remember to wear gloves, especially where there are a lot of leaves mixed in. But, I admit, that sometimes when I stop to pull "just this one and maybe that one over there, then, oh, there's another one..." , three hours later I find I have forgotten my gloves yet again.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Confessions of a Compulsive Weeder Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Weeds-be- gone! CountryGardens 39 Sep 1, 2009 2:21 AM
Weeds-be-gone wolfwolf 0 Sep 10, 2007 4:46 PM
I thought I was the only one! pupilpropogtr 6 Sep 7, 2009 8:34 PM
Very Humorous! NEILMUIR1 31 Sep 4, 2009 2:31 PM
Yes arejay59 0 Aug 30, 2009 11:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America