Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

September 24, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9284802

About the time I'm ready to say I miss the REAL seasons in the Rockies, I read something like your article that reminds me of how short growing seasons are further north and I am once again glad to live in the sunbelt. However, living here has made me sooo lazy!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9284803

Carrie, now that you are here in North Central Texas I can assure that the challenges are many.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9285242

Wow, I completely missed the Official First Day of Fall! I guessed I have crossed over to the dark side. Actually, that was Saturday, the 21st, right? I spent all day Friday in airports (I did manage to accidentally smuggle my reading glasses past TSA) and then most of Saturday recovering; I don't even think I logged on to DG at all.

Anyway, I think there are seasons here in Texas. It's only too hot for a few hours now, instead of all day, and I'm wondering which box has my scarves in it. The weather is definitely changing. I can't wait until DH gets offered a promotion to a tiny Caribbean island with no monsoon season, no hurricanes, an excellent hospital, sandy beaches, 3 daily non-stops to the East coast, good public schools, no crime, rain every night but never during the day, good restaurants, fast internet, a book club, an orchestra, do you think I'm too fussy?

My DH said yesterday "it's officially "fall" now, right?" And I said "no, that's not until September 21st." L. O. L. Thank you both for your comments.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9285700

Oh dear, Carrie. Don't think I even wore a coat at all last winter. Record setting winter for warm weather. The two before set all kinds of records for low temps and something we here in Dallas hardly ever see...snow. Usually two or three days of ice and everyone stays home. No matter the experience with driving on snow (for the northerners) no one in their right mind will attempt ice. Actually, we are more like two season, hot and very hot. Just enough freezes to kill everything in the garden. Spring is beautiful if you plant Texas native wildflowers. From mid-July on...not so much.

Welcome to Texas.

Christi

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9285889

Thanks for the welcome, Christi! I wanted to get away from the cold...and now I am away from the cold, for real. I didn't know there were earth temperatures as high as on Euless Main Street! 3 cheers for AC.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9287878

High 90's in October is nothing unusual. Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day can easily be "shorts" weather.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fall Chores for C-c-c-cold Climates Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great advice! adinamiti 24 Nov 7, 2010 8:14 AM
I share your pain Oberon46 3 Oct 29, 2009 3:55 PM
Still here in COLD country Sceloporous 1 Sep 29, 2012 12:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America