Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Drought messed with my garden this summer: drought

Communities > Forums > Article: Drought messed with my garden this summer
bookmark
Forum: Article: Drought messed with my garden this summerReplies: 5, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cherylscout
Keyport, NJ

September 24, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9284853

Remember with drought your plants aren't taking up calcium and other nutrients so a liquid calcium and feed mix to your watering helps greatly. You can kill your plants with too much fertilizer with hot, hot weather, so you have to not "over do it". Also different plants respond differently. I planted winter squash and can't believe my year of them---they vined and are even growing in my fruit trees and on the fence. Their big leaves also shade other plants.
Wolfspud
Denver, CO

September 24, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9284940

I can sympathize, Adina. I live in Denver and while not dependent upon a well, we have watering restrictions on top of over 60 days with 90+ degree heat and only 6" of precipitation all year so far - most of it during the winter. we're at 50% of normal so can only water twice a week. My tomatoes are just beginning to set fruit although they are outgrowing my 7' high trellis ( sorry don't know why my photo posted sideways). With night freezes just around the corner, it's unlikely I'll be able to keep them alive long enough. My lawn has simply disappeared where it doesn't get some shade. I never got fruit worms, but my zucchini and pumpkins have a fungus that doesn't seem to go away even when I spray it with chemicals - not my usual approach to gardening. The silver lining was over 20 pounds of delicious red plums from my one little tree - a whole month early. The squirrels weren't ready for them so I got them first for a change!

Thumbnail by Wolfspud
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9284952

Not too hot here in Toronto, but rain came in fits and starts. None for a good while, then tons of it. So I dealt with a lot of cracked tomatoes too, but that doesn't stop me from eating them at all.

I too love to spend my summer eating tomatoes from my garden for every meal. So sad that's all over.

I have many green tomatoes left, dut to a growth spurt of a neighbours tree, which left my tomatoes without sunlight for a couple extra hours every day. I'm really unhappy about that, but nothing I can do, unfortunately.

I hope you have better weather next year, Adina.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 25, 2012
1:25 AM

Post #9285656

Cheryl, thanks for the info about the calcium, I just found out about this when I made the research fro my article. As a fertilizer I'm using only organic, mostly compost. But since I don't want to attract the rats and other creatures in my garden, I'm not keeping the compost in a special place, but bury the vegetable leftovers directly in the ground, near every plant I have, especially vegetables.

Wolfspud, thanks for sharing about your experience with the drought. I'm sorry your veggies didn't do well either.

Cybercone, nice to hear from you again! Thank you for telling us about your veggies. Ialso miss summer, although it was such a hot and dry one.

Adina
bobsgirl
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9286324

The summer of 2012 was tough where I live too. We are in an extreme drought still, and the city I live in had to impose mandatory watering restrictions to conserve our water.
I work for a landscaping co. and am seeing the sad results of this drought. We have only had about 3 inches of rain since June 23rd.!!!
I have learned a lot about what plants are drought tolerant and which ones are not. Unfortunatley, some plants, shrubs and trees will not live through this season. Very sad.
Hope your garden veggies have a better year in 2013!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

September 25, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9286543

Thanks for sharing about your experience. I also hope for a better 2013 for everyone.

Adina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Drought messed with my garden this summer Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Article ves522 6 Sep 25, 2012 1:16 AM
DRAUGHT dordee 1 Sep 25, 2012 1:17 AM
legume hapylica 3 Sep 26, 2012 1:12 PM
Good to Hear riceke 5 Sep 28, 2012 12:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America