Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Landscaping: removing some hedges

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 7, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sheisaeval
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9285079

We just bought a house and we have some shrubs and hedges we want to remove. What is the best way to remove them so that they don't grow back? We have some holly hedges, a very large cedar or juniper shrub, some boxwood, and some red tip photinias. We want to replace all of these shrubs/hedges with native plants and wildflowers, but we're not sure how to approach removing these, because some of these are very large. Should we cut down with a saw and then dig out the roots with shovels? Or after cutting down should we use some kind of weed killer or herbicide on the roots? We do want to replace with plants so we don't have to use much chemicals in the area if we don't have to, but we're not sure what the easiest way to do it would be. Thanks!

Thumbnail by sheisaeval   Thumbnail by sheisaeval   Thumbnail by sheisaeval   Thumbnail by sheisaeval
Click an image for an enlarged view.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 24, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9285094

Before digging make sure you know where your utilities are located
we usually cut down a bit with chain saw and then pull out of ground with chains attached to truck
sheisaeval
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9285100

We don't have a truck, though.

And also, two of the plants are located in the backyard and a truck won't be able to get into that area anyway.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2012 2:51 PM
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9285827

I usually just cut as low as I can with a saw (chain saw, hand saw or even a reciprocating saw). Then I use a shovel or spade to dig up what roots I can. I've never had problems with most shrubs growing back, especially the types you mention.
Before I cut down large shrubs, I may prune out many of the limbs which makes a heavy bush more managable.
Its hard work but think of it as exercise and you'll enjoy it better.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 1, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9292359

I'm not sure IF the hedges ect are a boundary dividing line that indicates the area of your plot size and the neighbours, IF you bound onto another property, have you told the neighbours what you intend to do with the line of greenery (hedges) that grow between your properties. as it may well be the case that you are in fact not allowed to remove this living marker.
Also have you considered just how barren the place will look for a good few years until you get your native / wild flowers growing after the lushness of the shrubbery plantings and the wildlife this supports all year round.

If the Answer to these questions is yes still want to remove all the greenery, then I would ask a few companies to give quotes for removing all the greenery, ask lots of questions (wee call it picking their brains) but ask things like, how do you intend removing all the branches, then do you dig by hand the roots, do you use killers on the roots left (IF ANY) do you bring in soil after the roots are removed as there will be very little soil left in that area. what is the guarantee that there will be no regrowth and how / what would they use to prevent this regrowth.
The once you have a better understanding of what / how the people trained to do this work would do the job, you may be able to tackle it yourself either by hiring machinery like root grubbers that remove the roots either by chewing them up or loosening them enough so you can get 2 people to rock the trunks and roots back and forward so they eventually come out whole.
Also ask what would be used to help feed and nourish the soil left behind as usually when you remove shrubs /trees after being growing a long time the soil is normally very deficient of any humus matter or goodness.
So this is not a job to be taken or done lightly thinking it takes a few hours hard work, the hard part is living with the empty space, the mess the lawn is in after this work, the months of building up the soil again to allow good growing conditions and also the change in view from inside the house can be quite frightening.

Please don't think I am trying to put you off, I am trying to point out some very important questions needing to be asked especially IF the Hedge belongs to your neighbour which is often the case here in UK, have a thought they might replace the removed hedge with a fence that will perhaps not allow enough light onto your soil to let flowers grow and maybe cast more shade than a living hedge.
Best of luck and hope this helps you out a bit.
WeeNel.
RESORT2ME
BATTLEBORO, NC

May 22, 2013
7:00 AM

Post #9529542

I realize this thread isn't recent, however what I have to say may yet be in order or at least might help others.

Check with landscaper/nursery companies to see if they may want the plants particularly since you have so many, rather than destroying them. If so, they will have equipment for the removal,

I personally have removed and transplanted numerous plantings using a Terramite backhoe/frontloader. It will fit though a 5' opening.

This photo is of removing a very large gum tree stump.

Thumbnail by RESORT2ME
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

May 23, 2013
4:01 PM

Post #9531570

I have to admit I'm with you RESORTME, I would hate to see those mature plants / shrubs that have spent many years to reach the stage and growth they are at now, I'd go as far as to say, if I really wanted a wild garden I would probably have moved out the the countryside where that type of garden looks more natural, I can never understand anyone who buys the most expensive thing they will ever spend money on and the first thing they think about is ripping out the garden that has enhances the home for many years but hey, what the good thing about gardening, we are all different, all have different tastes and my advice to friends looking for another home is, IF you want to destroy perfectly established plants, then the house aint for you. maybe that sounds harsh but there are several reasons why some plants MUST be removed, but I'd have to justify that to myself, neighbours and probably my family well before they had me certified ha, ha, ha. I would love someone like RESORTME move in and be sure he /she wanted the shrubs tree's ect passed onto another good home.
Best of luck anyway WeeNel.
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2013
8:36 PM

Post #9531948

I have pulled out the stumps of Juniper and other plants with a chain and a pick up truck.
Be VERY careful! The chain could slip and cause a lot of damage or injury.

MUCH safer to rent a back hoe, and get complete instruction about how to use it, or else higher a licensed, insured company to do the job.

Using equipment to remove the stumps should result in zero regrowth, and a good chance to plant something else soon, without hitting large left over roots.
There may be an odd sprout or two where some roots were left, but a good job with the back hoe will have removed all the larger roots, and these few sprouts will be easy to remove, or could even be sprayed to kill them.

Cutting the upper growth, then pick and shovel should be reserved for where the tractor cannot go. It is a lot of hard work. If you did them all that way you could give up your gym membership while the project is going on!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America