Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: B. Vulcanicola

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 10, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

September 24, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9285402

Any one have a cutting or a plant for sell (B. Vulcanicola). I have looked on ebay and the two Brug sites and can find nothing.
Thanks
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9286628

well...are you planning on growing it inside in air conditioning there.. otherwise it's likely too warm there to grow it...
Alan sometimes has one for sale... he's in England.. growing where it's alot cooler than in southern CA..
go visit and keep current with his blog.. and you might see notice of some vulcanicola.. or their crosses offered for sale.. perhaps on UK e-bay... none are there at this time..I just checked for you...
http://hurstwoodbrugmansia.blogspot.com/
pink ice he has a picture posted of is a very lovely looking flower.. he often has seeds for sale.. as he's a great breeder of them..

This message was edited Sep 26, 2012 7:16 AM
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9286719

Grassy Knoll Exotics has them
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

September 28, 2012
12:13 AM

Post #9288545

Thank you both for your answers. I thought I would bring it in for the summer like you bring other things in for the winter.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

September 28, 2012
12:21 AM

Post #9288547

Grassy Knoll has a waiting list... I am on it!
Wrote to http://hurstwoodbrugmansia.blogspot.com/ waiting for a reply.

This company has them but will not ship form Germany Here: http://shop.strato.de/epages/62313798.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62313798/Categories/1
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9303858

I read a neat account of looking for them growing out in nature.. getting to this high remote town.. then catching the bus..up the mountain to the mine in the late night to go up the mountain with the first shift guys... then headding out to the next vally where they were reported to be.. then catching the last bus back home..
I always thought it sounded like fun...
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9304343

Someone needs to put together a guided field trip. I'd sign up!!
Where did you read that?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9304643

Gee... Roxanne..I can't remember just wher I read that... seems to me it was a few years ago.. perhaps one of the brug assiciated magazines... Trumpeter perhaps... [ did you see the short article on my roof growing in one issue ] I'll have to go through some of my back issues and check that one.. I remember seeing a few pictures connected with it...like the small desolate roadway the bus took up the mountain.. I was looking to recreate the treck myself when reading it...
It would be a trip.. not without remote dangers..
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9304744

I didn't see your garden in the Trumpeter, I just joined a year or so ago. I might have to check into getting some old issues to read this winter (like I have time to read).

As far as the remote dangers go, I'd rather die doing something I loved than some of the alternatives. I've been following some of the things that are going on in this country on the various news outlets recently and I have to say that I feel no one is safe anywhere. I am so angry inside I feel like I'm going to explode!
I channeled some of that energy to arranging my greenhouse this morning. I'll post some pics later.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

October 21, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9311735

roxxanne,

I joined BGI a few weeks ago myself. Some of the people there are very helpful. I home I run across your sign on there. I did find a cutting of a hybird on ebay. Pricy but they are mine (Red Brugmansia hybrid SANGUINEA x VULCANICOLA). The rooting instructions sent are for warm brug, or at lest that is my understanding. I found this articular on how to root them. Hope it works!

Rooting Cold Group (Sphaerocarpium) Cuttings
Written by Michael Graupe Sunday, 04 April 2010 15:22

Cuttings from the Sphaerocarpium group of Brugmansia (B. sanguinea, B. arborea, B. vulcanicola and their hybrids) are often notoriously difficult to root. After a few unsuccessful attempts, watching the cuttings turn into slimy mush within a short period of time, I finally found a method which I have now used successfully even in mid winter. I also applied it to other hard to root plants such as iochromas and passionflowers from the Tacsonia section with excellent results.

Cutting preparation:
Cut 5-8 inch pieces of reasonably mature growth. Cut right below a node at a slight angle, remove all large leaves and cut ~2/3 off the remaining larger leaves to reduce water evaporation. Slice off some bark just above the cut as seen in the photo. This will produce a larger callus from which the roots grow.

Sticking cuttings: Any pot with sufficient drainage holes can be used. The substrate consists of well wetted New Zealand long fiber sphagnum moss and horticultural perlite.

Place a inch thick layer of sphagnum moss at the bottom of the pot. Place the cuttings evenly distributed on top so that the cut just touches the surface.

I found that using a rooting hormone powder (Rootone) did not make much of a difference. Fill in the perlite, water well, and dress the top with another thin layer of sphagnum moss.

Rooting conditions: In winter I place the pot on a heat mat set to 60F under fluorescent light (13h/day) in my unheated greenhouse. Air temperature reaches upper 60s to mid 70s during the day and drops into the 40s (rarely upper 30s) during the night.

In summer no heat mat or lights are needed with temperatures from the upper 70s during the day to mid 50s at night. I spray the cuttings with water once a day in the morning and make sure the substrate is moist enough. I also remove all leaves that drop off to prevent mold growth. Once roots emerge from the drainage holes
(4-8 weeks), the cuttings can get potted up

roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9311753

I just read that myself the other day. I don't remember where I seen it. I have some sphaero seedlings that I am nursing. I started them in early summer hoping they would be bigger than they are for winter. They are in my greenhouse and I pray it doesn't get too hot for them in there when I'm not home to open the door.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America