-
AuthorContent
KimchiMonger
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9285586

Certainly glad to post only finishing photos as this project had some messy moments. The staircase project was inspired by the tired carpeted look we had for a couple of years. After pulling up the carpet, I had no idea what I'd do for a new look but granted myself unlimited creative license. I certainly had the energy reserve for it!

I hand formed all tiles from portland cement and carved out with a dremel tool. Thank God for Dremel or I'd be finding another hobby real quick! Grout used was a pre-mixed nutmeg colored tile grout. After filling in areas with grout, I carefully pressed the pieces in place. Once dry, I used several layers of semi-gloss sealer to lock it in.

Love my stairway to MOI. Enjoy!

Thumbnail by KimchiMonger   Thumbnail by KimchiMonger   Thumbnail by KimchiMonger   Thumbnail by KimchiMonger   Thumbnail by KimchiMonger
Click an image for an enlarged view.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

September 26, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9287293

How long did this take you? Do you think it would perform well as floor exiting a shower? The colors are lovely - like a path in the woods during the fall after a hard rain-- all shimmery browns and golds and oranges. Did you add color to the "tiles" or just the grout?

This message was edited Sep 26, 2012 8:34 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9287379

Incredible! Love it!
KimchiMonger
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9308526

Howdy yall. I just noticed your replies as I thought I would be alerted via e-mail if someone responded but apparently not.

missingrosie, I think this would work fine existing a shower especially if sealed. I sealed this surface eventhough it's indoors and never gets wet. The tiles I colored with 'Oops' paints I picked up at Home Depot. These are paints that were mistakenly mixed as the wrong color. The tiles I made out of flat sheets of quarter inch cement. The cement abosrbs any color applied to it. I wet the tiles first and dabbed colors on with paper towels to achieve desired colors.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 18, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9308702

Did you just make a large sq or rec mold and the when cured smash the sheet up? I would think it would "set" better if the backside uniform and the top of the tiles 'whatever' letting the settling and the physics of it take is natural course. Thanks so much for replying. No, no email but it will automatically post in your threads you are watching area. It may actually be in a different color font if it were a thread you started. I can't remember.
KimchiMonger
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9308742

All I did to create those "tiles" was pour cement onto a board about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Let the cement set for about 20 ins and then cut and outlined, with butter knife, the desired shapes and sizes. Once dry I smooth edges with sandpaper and cut holes out with dremel tool if needed. For some of the round pieces, I used various size cups like a cookie cutter after cement set for about twenty minutes. Anything to help define the finished size and shape helps.
torriesmom
New York, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9310146

Your staircase is beautiful and so is your cat.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 6, 2013
9:00 PM

Post #9377727

Oh yes it is lovely and original. I like that combo.

My most recent project was with milk paint, stained cabinets. My husband and kids were not feeling the look but I loved it. So I kept some of it and painted the rest more traditionally. Good grief. I was so dumb, I did not take a pix before I caved in.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

January 7, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9377986

I used milk paints too on a project. That powder is deadly! But what a beautiful saturated color I got. I underpainted with red and then 'shaved' the edges so the red popped through (the outside was a yellow/squash color. The red looked great with it - just a hint.

bought the paint in bags like coffee.

now a days -- it comes in cans...
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2013
12:49 PM

Post #9382178

Yes I know I have injested quite a bit of it. Hope I'll live. Good grief you can hardly avoid it. Great stuff though. With a deliberate old school look. I like it, there are new cabinet and kitchen uses for it to use it as a modern kitchen with vintage flare.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2013
10:16 AM

Post #9548587

Great looking staircase. I didn't know grout would support a cement tile,but whatever works. Nifty looking meezer there too, I'm sure it offered a lot of assistance during the project...
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2013
7:50 PM

Post #9550515

Nice floor. lots of work for sure.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 164 Nov 19, 2014 12:23 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America