Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Plants: Tropical Garden #126

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 299, Views: 2,251
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9285709

Please enjoy the wonderful world of tropical flowers, gardens and foliage plants. No purchase necessary.

We came from here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278419/

Musa AeAe Flag Leaf.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2012 6:35 AM

Thumbnail by homer1958
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9285728

Oh WOW, congratulations on that flag. Most of us can't even get them to live much less fruit.

Red stemmed cotton bolls are opening.

Odd colors on this little hummer, do you think it is just a youngster?

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9285839

Woo hoo, Drew! Little stripey bananas coming soon. Let's hope the weather stays warm for you.

What did you buy at the Aroids Convention?

Alice, your little hummer might be a Black-chinned hummingbird. Although several species seem to have that irridescent green color on their backs. Here's a link to some of the species in Florida with good pictures http://floridahummingbirds.net/10201.html

This message was edited Sep 25, 2012 10:40 AM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9285975

Thanks Elaine, they are good pictures. After looking at them I think this one was a young female ruby throated, I can see a tad of white at the throat that is just like that in your pics. I have seen the Black-chinned ones here also.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 25, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9286077

Weldome back Drew!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9286153

Thanks Alice, Got an A. sarian, a P. 'Pink Princess'... a Musa Tani that looks like an AeAe... a hybrid A. Borneo Giant x A. Red Portora (think LariAnn called it "Borneo Tsunami Waves"), and an A. Green Portora that is more stout and taller growing than the A. Red Portora I have been showing you guys in the 65 gallon pot Elaine.

I do not mean to be rude by not posting Paula. I will make an effort to post more often.

Butia capitata flowering.

Thumbnail by homer1958

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9286167

Elaine, please dmail your mailing address to me A.S.A.P. - I have your box ready to mail, but no address shows in the DG address book!!!!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9286170

I'm freaking out here - can someone Dmail me Elaine's mailing address? If I don't get the address in an hour or so, I'm going to have to take the plants out of the box. Thanks to whomever can help!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 25, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9286264

Drew,
I didn't mean anything...I knew you had been gone and I was just saying 'we missed you". Sounds like you got quite a haul...post pictures when you can. Your AeAe is beautiful! Are you putting it in the house again this winter?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9286315

I remember that 65gal. pot, Drew - the one you bought the bulldozer to move, right?

And this Portora is going to be bigger than the red one?? Kiddo, you need help - literally!

Did you get to meet the real, live LariAnn?

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9286420

Paula, sorry I took it that way. I don't know about the AeAe... I will make that call when I cross that bridge! Really tried to get more, but the plants went so fast by Sunday there was not much left!

Elaine, just may need that bulldozer as my hand truck wheels can hardly take that wet 65 gallon pot with soil and plant. I did meet LariAnn and was able to take a tour of the property and all of the plants... It was awesome to say the least. I was like a pig-n-slop!

It has been really cool the past few days. Lows in the Mid 40's. Most of the potted plants are in the garage with the 400 w. H.P.S. I will post some pictures in the next couple of days. Thank you all for your wonderful pictures!

Thumbnail by homer1958

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 25, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9286442

Very nice! Take that thing to the beach and sit under the sahade of it or have someone fan you with a leaf off of it! LOL
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 25, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9286463

Elaine - I think you might be right on your id of my volunteer plant. This came up right under my Royal Poincianna. . .I love the deep purple color of your ground orchids! Those are the deepest purple of the ones I've seen.

Drew - your plants are amazing! I'll be your yard looks like a tropical island escape with all of those big leaves.

Alice - your cotton is so cool. How did you get that hummer to sit still long enough to take that picture? LOL

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9286882

Yes, Carol we suspect that Drew supports his giant plant habit by renting out his yard as a set for the Jurassic Park movies.

Seriously, Drew, you might want to hire somebody with a Bobcat c/w forks to move those giants of yours! I let my big pots dry out as much as I dare before trying to move them.

That Red Portora is just magnifique! Dumb question, but . .. why do they call it red? Besides bigger (hoo boy!!) and stouter, does the green one look different?
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9286987

Thank you Carol!

Paula this picture was taken about a month ago It has had another nice size leaf added since!

I'll get a closeup of the red portora and show you what it looks like Elaine. The Green Portora looks the same, however, the coloring in the petioles and where they attach to the trunk are light green like most other Big Alocasias. Borneo Giant, Odora, Calidora and Macrorrhizos are all light green.

Wait to you see what a squirrel did to one of my Philo. Maximas' leaves! AAAARRRGGGHHH!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9287015

floridabunnie wrote:Elaine - I think you might be right on your id of my volunteer plant. This came up right under my Royal Poincianna. . .I love the deep purple color of your ground orchids! Those are the deepest purple of the ones I've seen.

Drew - your plants are amazing! I'll be your yard looks like a tropical island escape with all of those big leaves.

Alice - your cotton is so cool. How did you get that hummer to sit still long enough to take that picture? LOL

I agree with what she said...

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9287025

thought I would show a few pics from our visit to Bonnies on way home from AR, she is the one who hooked me on Brugs.. ( Home for lunch)
rootbeer plant I gave to her ( I thought I killed it .. duh! )
it blooms.. now I want it back LOL
iochroma i gave her a piece of... now it is a tree ( I want it back LOL ) not really..
blue butterfly unguandence or however it is spelled, is making seeds and is the size of a large bush..
didn't get a pic of it.. but all her brugs are so tall I can stand under them..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9287028

her plant store is doing well, she sells prennieals.. but her tropicals all go inside to her walk in basement every fall..she has a trailer, tractor and lots of man help...
the things in the light house group came from some of my stuff.
last pic is the blue unguandense ( blue butterfly bush) I swear it was just a stick when I gave it to her!
back to work.. love ya all and Carol, your box will be put together this coming Monday... I can't do anything this week until I get sister squared away..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9287058

Can we get the web address for Bonnie's store?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9287156

Drew,one of the gals on the Carolina forum swears Lowe's generic top soil repels squirrels in her containers. She top dresses everything with this stuff and supposedly the tree rats stay away . I can't imagine what could possibly be in this stuff but at $1.39 a bag, (I think the brand is Evergreen,) you might want to spread some around and see what happens.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9287215

I hear you Alice... I think this damage was more to do with the T.R's jumping from tree to tree and deciding that the "Totem" was a great place to jump to and scramble round-n-round;... just happened to be a new leaf right there...!!!

The damage occurred when the leaf was just starting to unfurl. After that damage I hoped that the midrib would be able to hold the weight of the rest of the leaf (until the leaf matured) wear it was torn up. As you can see, it did!

Thumbnail by homer1958

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9287251

Rita, Hope you had a great B-Day and many more to come. Dust ?, Debris ? it's Just a "Thing" and will pass.

Drew, Your squirrels and my Rabbits that ate all the buds off my ground orchids must be having a great laugh at our expense, I want to go out and sit with a "22" and have target practice.

Deb, as usual you outdo your self.

Hopefully I'll have pics to share soon, just been busy busy..good and bad as I wish to spend more time playing with plants and less time working...one day...I guess.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9287278

aww drew i am sorry... didn't see your earlier post as I was in a hurry... I just know all your giants will impress us all, thru stormms or tree rats..

( I use rose bush and barberry cuttings everywhere)

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9287356

That's a great idea, Deb. My roses need a little pruning too. Maybe the cuttings will keep the TR's off the bird feeder.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9287455

Debra - love your pics. I always learn about these amazing plants from you guys and your pictures!

Drew - Is that a philo next to a post with burlap? I assume you have it covered with burlap so it can climb the post? I was thinking about doing this same thing as the only tree I have left to grow anything on is my Royal Poincianna.

Rita - Happy belated b-day! Sounds like you had a good one. Only people like us would ask for a wheelbarrow or garden supplies as a gift! LOL
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9287604

Rita, forgive me for sending such belated BD wishes, I know you had a good day with that new wheelbarrow. :-) Hopefully the noise and dust on your street will abate soon.

Elaine, Surely you have a Wild Birds Unlimited in Sarasota, they are everywhere, They sell a baffle that works to keep the squirrels out of the feeders. I don't know why it works, it looks just like every other baffle but since we installed their system - at least 8 or more years ago - we have never had another squirrel or raccoon on the feeders. They are all around eating the seed on the ground but no more feeder invasions.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9287758

Unfortunately, the squirrels jump to the birdfeeders, because of where I have them standing. I want to be able to see the birds from the window that is right by my computer where I work all day, so the feeders are both too close to the house, and too close to a little bamboo pergola that DH built for my passionvine. Did it to myself, right?

I do keep them from climbing up the poles just by applying grease with an old toothbrush occasionally. I was thinking a garland of prickly rose canes festooned on the top of the feeders would slow down the aerial attack. I also have a toy pellet gun that I scare them off with - bio-degradable pellets, and it shoots so slowly that when I actually hit a squirrel, they turn around and look at me going "Is that all you got??".

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9287818

LOL, I forgot the feeder were so close to the trees. That's funny about the pellet gun, we bought a real one once to discourage raccoons and, just like your squirrels, they would look at us and shrug. Grrrrr

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9287936

Carol, That is my Philo. maximum on the Burlap pole. It is getting quite large.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9288266

Drew, check out this Kona Coffee after I took your advice and set its feet in the pond, that puny plant really took off.

Elaine, your brom is happy here in SC too.

Sun shining through B. Arabian Sunset, looks like it is on fire in late afternoon.

My mini meadow, this is what happens when you toss mystery seeds out.

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 27, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9288368

Hi Alice - very nice Kona Coffee plant. Did you purchase one of those pond forms and sink it into the ground for your pond? I would love to have a pond but have not tackled this project yet. I really like your mini-meadow - I like how they are mixed together like a bouquet.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9288397

Some absolutely stunning pictures there, Alice! The whole setting with the Kona Coffee is just wonderful, although I must admit I like your Colo Coffee Cup (or is it Tea Cup?) even better, such pretty shape and nice dark stems. Elegant. The Arabian Sunset is amazing and I love your meadow, too.

Glad the brom is blooming for you. I found a new flower on one of mine today, too. Keep an eye on it, the flowers change from day to day. It's funny, my clump usually blooms all at once, but this fall, I've just had a bloom here, then a bloom there . . . it's been a weird summer.

Passiflora 'Lady Margaret' is another one that usually blooms prolifically but this year, just the odd bloom on the nice, big healthy vine.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9288535

Alice, I also love the mystery seed garden. I would love for you to throw some of mine out there..
I feel so accomplished.. I dug up some yellow hardy asters ( native, from my sons yard tonight, brought them in, potted them up, trimmed them down, stuck the trimmings in the ground and now I am hoping they take off. I have them scattered all around the edge of the lawn at the flower beds, kind of into the bermuda line, so Joe can mow them and keep them flat and bloomed. they bloom like a solid yellow blanket and the branches creep after being mowed.
anyway, back to tropicals.. cut down sticto today tonight to bring in for winter. and also the catsclaw vine, now they are in their winter home downstairs.
I never heard of B. arabian sunset.. is it a brom? it is beautiful. the Third pic EE is just breathtaking.
Elaine, none of the passies here have bloomed. they get two more weeks, and then they come in too..( leaving our hardy one out this year, since a volunteer came up.)
my problem is the October Rose hibiscus seedlings that are over a ft tall and not enough time to bloom.
Firespikes and gingers get three more weeks.
I might have to cut a hole in the basement wall to get the banana down there .. LOL

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9288613

Alice I like your pond setting too. Is that a glassed in porch there behind it ? All those wonderful windows for plants in the winter time.
What do you do with those big boys in winter ?

Elaine your Lady Margaret will probably start blooming more when the night time temps cool down just a little.

Deb, your so funny...cut a hole in the wall...you need a greenhouse girl !

.cool new leaf on Variegated Monstera from Rita , Salvia leucantha, Salvia koyame ( Japanese Yellow Sage...had pretty heart shaped leafs and makes a low clump), Bog sage and Cypress vine growing on the pasture fence under a Palatka Holly, Bog sage is great this year with all the rain we've had.

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9288628

Debra, the Arabian Sunset is a begonia. I will be starting lots of cuttings of that one soon. WE need a picture of those yellow asters, they sound lovely.

Bunnie, yes, it is one of those preformed ones like they carry at the big box stores. We have a high water table and I actually built up around the form rather than digging it in.

Martha, the sun room has that 3M film on the windows and while it cuts down on the heat that comes in, it is not great at all for plants, they live but that is about all. All of the EE's stay outside although I will take them out of the pond so they won't have wet feet during the winter.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2012 10:14 AM
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

September 28, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9288735

Alice,
Put my name on one of the Begonias...its beautiful!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9288836

:-)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9288850

OK, kiddos - tell me the cheapest place to buy 6-mil. transparent plastic - 10'x50' should cover my Florida room.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 28, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9289032

Farmtek has it for $1.30/ft at 10ft wide. You'd have to pay shipping, though. Did you try HD, Lowe's and the local hardware store? Do you have a Tractor Supply store up there, anywhere near?

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_greenhouses_accessories-ft1_greenhouse_covering_2-ft1_greenhouse_films_2;pg108654.html
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 28, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9289078

I can buy Visqueen locally, but I want the transparent, crystal clear film.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 28, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9289089

Not exactly cheap but...
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/4-year-greenhouse-film/plastic-greenhouse-film

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 28, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9289126

Right, you need the good, clear stuff for your plants. The stuff from Farmtek has 92% light transmission. It's $65 for a 10 x 50 piece plus shipping.

Here's a thought - go to your favorite nursery and see where they buy it. If they're buying some for this winter, see if they'd tack on what you need to their order. Bet you'll get it cheaper that way, and support your local people, too.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9289932

Thanks for the hint dzzy. I've been pricing the film as well and had about decided it would just have to be garage for my tropicals.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9290023

Elaine, that brom you sent so many of us, is it this one? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276348/

If it really is a billbergia, I am going to take mine out of the trees and plant them in the ground where they can spread out.

Individual flowers on the blue ginger are so neat.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9290071

Alice, I don't know for sure what it is, but it does look like that, doesn't it. I got a garbage bag full of starts of them from our Urban Hort agent at the Extension office. She says she could cover her yard with them if she wanted to.

I do grow mine on the ground under my oak trees, and they spread out and make a clump. Need thinning or separating to keep blooming, though.
1. Check out Sophie Cecile getting nearly 3ft tall!
2. Here's the clump by the pool cage with one bloom.
3 the other clump flanked by Sophie Cecile and Don Miller begonias

All are wet from some good rain showers this afternoon, keeping me indoors, sadly.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9290164

A couple of you wonderful friends have sent me blue ginger and I can't keep it alive - I have NO IDEA what I'm doing wrong!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9290274

Picture, we need pictures! I know it's a little humbling when something is failing, but if you post a picture, bet one of us would have an idea for you. We never see enough pictures of your wonderful garden, KayJones!

Did you have it in the ground or a pot? Sun or part shade? Mine's in a pot in the pool cage, so semi-shade. It gets light water every day from one of the orchid misters. Plus rain . . . sheesh! again today. Alice sent me this - a rooted division or cutting in June, and it has done great, putting on its first flowers this week. I sure wish they'd hurry up and open!!

This message was edited Sep 29, 2012 8:04 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9290284

The one that cutting came from was dormant for a year, I was sure I would never see it again, then it just popped up one day last spring. Over watering can be a problem with these plants. Remember they are in the tradescantia family and most of them are weeds.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9290301

I don't have a picture - I had them in pots and the plant just disappeared - it was hit eod with the inground sprinklers - bet it got too much water.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
3:28 AM

Post #9290650

After gardening for more than 50 years, I still tend to overwater. It is hard to figure out the amount that is just right. Then there is that "right plant, right place" idea. I often say "right plant, I'll find a place" and that is not always the best plan. LOL

It is not a good time of year to start cuttings of that one, they take a long time to root in the fall, but remind me next spring...
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9290673

Alice, that is sweet of you, but you already sent me one cutting and I killed it - I wouldn't ask you again!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9290723

You know what Tony Avant says "if you haven't killed a plant 3 times you are not a gardener."

I must be a super (or hopeless) gardener because I have killed many plants far more than 3 times. LOL

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9290880

Totally agree with Tony. My favorite opening joke when I give a Master Gardener talk is they give us that title when we've killed more plants than the whole audience combined.

My DH was away for our anniversary this year, but completed building a gift for me yesterday - my wonderful new potting bench! It's in a nice breezy spot in the shade, near the hose, now I just have to keep it organized so it will get used to its potential.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9290898

Very nice!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9291427

KayJones, I found corms under some of my Achimenes when I pulled up a few spent stems today. Can you advise me what to do with them? Separate them, and dry them?? There were a couple with the red ones you sent me, too.

Rita, are you lurking? You sent me a start of this pretty ginger last year, and I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. Pretty pleated, variegated leaves, and it has put up a red shoot that might be a flower stem.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9291471

Elaine, just put them on top of the soil and lightly cover them - they will pop up in Feb., if not before. If you want more corms, just let me know.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 1, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9291764

Elaine, love that ginger, never seen one like that.

Kay, don't forget you said you would send me some of the red ones, Thank you!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9291766

Paula, you will just have to remind me at the end of/beginning of Oct/Nov. Was I supposed to send you anything else?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 1, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9291820

I don't think so.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9291843

K

Martha, I know I am supposed to send you some goodies - get me a list - I'm too lazy to go back through all the posts. Hugs, Jo

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9293182

well, brought in a few more plants from outside.. starting to look really good in the other garden room..
KayJOnes, I am sending out a box to you in the am, call me when u get it, I sure love what you have sent me!
going down to the 40's at nights a few days, I have caught two mice, but a cat keeps taking the traps and all if we don't empty them right away. Joanna has brought in Gamera( her old turtle I rescued) and Goji, ( a new box turtle young one I saved from being squished) she is afraid something will try to eat them. that is ok, fish are already down there and now for some reason, I went out ot bring in a plant, and a squirrel was curled up on the porch, i thought it was dead, one eye is all messed up, it is very thin, I think it is one I am used to talking too and it came to me for help, Joe had a fit and made me take it to the garbage, but I couldn't do that, so I wrapped it up in a towel and nestled it in the Ivy over there, and then while looking for my mouse trap, I found the cat undoing the towel, so I shooed it away and brought it in, it is very docile, and is now in a heatead terrarium , if it makes it thru the night that is a good sign, I said my goodbyes tho, just in case it doesn't make it. It is so sad how many squished andmangled animals I saw on the way home from AR, it is like people try to hit them on purpose .. today I passed a large badger still shaking from his recent hit by a car, it was on the roadside, broke my heart. A doe and fawn both still jerking yestrday on the road, I had to swerve to miss them, and several racoons, possums and armidillos, I counted about twelve squished turtles coming home, rescued a water turtle about a fot in diameter and brought it home to Derby to put in the pond we have over in the park.. now I know it will be safe.Joanna said Mom you can't keep rescuing wild animals to replace Duke, let's just get a real pet.. now just last night when I asked her to chek the mouse trap , she came in all pouty sad faced cuz there was a mouse in the trap I set out ten minutes earlier. I can't stand mice in the house, she said she thinks they are cute, and still creatures, so why do I kill them? * sigh* I am so confused.
I have to have this shrub, but first I have to find out what it is..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife      

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9293251

Debra, that looks like two or three different shrubs - which one are you wanting?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9293506

Deb, if you nail the traps down to a piece of 2 x 4 or something, the cat won't be able to steal the mouse & trap. We recently had an incident of rats in our attic, a very common occurrence here. The guy at HD that sold me the traps told me to do this because if the rat is not immediately killed by the trap they can drag the traps off into a corner of the attic where you can't get to them. Then they die, and smell up the whole house for a week . . .

Also, be VERY careful of the squirrel, they can be rabies carriers. And they definitely will bite you.

Is the plant in your middle shot above Mina Lobata? Very pretty, I've tried and tried to get seeds of that to start!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9293641

Elaine, I can't grow them from seed either - Deb, hint, hint!!!!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9294070

Monstera Deliciosa variegata Rita gave me last year (grown a little Rita) ;-)
Alocasia x 'Blue Portora
Alocasia 'Borneo Giant' @ 10.5'
Musa AeAe in flower (Looks like it will be the Christmas Tree again this year)!
Philodendron evansii

Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9294095

Monstera Deliciosa
Philodendron bipinnatifidum
Cyrtosperma Merkusii
Alocasia 'Robudora Supermax'. This is a Cross of Alocasia odora x Alocasia Robustum. A.robustum has the largest undivided leaf in the world at 12' x 8' with a petiole (stem) at 12' in length. Those leaves are tiny @ 20'', compared to what they could be.
Philodendron maximum

Thanks for looking and here is to a pretty good year of growing. SAAAALUTE! ... NOSTROVIA!

This message was edited Oct 3, 2012 6:31 AM

Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958   Thumbnail by homer1958

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9294125

squirrel died. so sad. Drew your plants are truly a show of your green spirit. Congrats !
okay, If I start the plants of lobatas and other special vine seeds this spring, I will just mail out in cups to you that they are growing in, and then you cut the bottom out and plant cup and all into the ground or pot whatever. Okay?
You all down south have lots of growing time for stuff yet..
KayJnes your box went out today.
Carol, ( floridabunnie) I am working on your box next.
This is what I love about leisrely driving thru the countryside.. you can stop and whistle to a group of horses and the come over to you..
I found out the shrub is a special mulberry from china, not a kansas native.. was told not to plant it as it is introduced and invasive, but I like it.
thought I would see if you guys know what these red berries are.. ( I know)
Frost plant.. you gotta google it and see what it does.. I am glad I got one from the country now..
pink smart weed..

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9294132

Deb, they look like Viburnum or choke berries to me - what are they?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9294170

And Nostrrrrrovia to you to, Drew! You been holding out on us, kiddo. What a show! Love the color on your Blue Portora. My Blue Hawaii has been disappointingly , how can I say this . . . ah, green? It does have nice purple stems and petioles though.

Deb, the red berries look like huckleberries we used to find up in BC when I was little. But that eye . . are they the new "pink" blueberries?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9294276

wild rose hips! I didn't get any cuz they take too long to make a rose bush, and they are tangled up in the three leaved poison ivy.. oh i was so very careful out there while getting my raspberry bushes dug up..

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9294386

Cool!!! Why don't you get the rose identified botanically, then submit your picture to the Plantfiles - it is so pretty!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9294411

Sorry about your squirrel Deb! He's in the big nut in the sky.

I guess the petiole color is the reason for the name... Like my A. Blue Portora,. eautiful huge purplish/blue petioles Elaine.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 3, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9294790

I need an opinion, please...I have a bat flower..had one long time ago and killed it...so I bought this one and thought I would give it another try. I have water it and seems the next day it is wilted again. So finalyy, I was looking at it today and think I have found the problem. Do I need to repot and add more soil? The roots are showing and maybe that is why it wilts so bad. I know I shouldn't bury the whole thing,but I would think it needs to be deeper in the soil. Thoughts???

In the 3rd picture...can I take the invidivual plant off and have a separate one? Is that how you divide them?

Pictures...

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066      

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2012

Post #9294872

Paula, YES - you can separate that pup - and send it to me!

Sorry I can't offer any guidance on the culture - I've never owned one, although always wanted to!!!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9294888

Paula,
Yes you need to repot it. Put it in a pot that's deep enough that you can get all those roots in the soil. Make sure you a well draining mix.
Also is that the White Bat ? or the Black...reason I ask is the leaf looks more like the White, it tends to "flop" more than the Black and it pups more than the black does.
My White one is budding up now, they tend to bloom a little later than the black, if it's budding up I'd wait to divide.
Hope that helps...
mj

Back later with pics ...Thunder bumper rolling in, gotta get off the computer.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9294934

Paula, More than likely when you are watering the water goes around the root ball and out of the container. It looks rootbound? Might be a good idea to score the rootball on 4 sides and tease those roots out a little. I agree with Martha. A little late to be dividing?

How is your Giganteum? Getting huge I imagine!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 3, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9294970

Thank you everyone.

Martha, it is a black...it was blooming when I bought it. Its flopped over because it was dry. OK, I am going to repot it it a little bigger pot and cover those roots. I'm going to pull off that one, because its only hanging on by one or two roots.

Drew, the giganteum is doing great. I think it may be getting too much sun (its on my covered porch), I'm going to scoot it closer to the house(wall). How often did you feed it?

I got a couple Col. I would like for you to ID if you can. I'll go take pics now...back in a sec.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 3, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9295016

I'll send them to you in a dmail...
Meanwhile..this is one of my all time favorites. Almost lost it last year, but it is making a comeback

Philodendron

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 3, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9295018

All my cutting are doing good for this weekend...

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9295023

Good Luck! Hope you have huge crowds and lots of sales.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9295035

WOW! Those look great - hope you make lots of money!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9295149

I fed it every time I watered it Paula.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9295355

wonderful collection of cuttings, Paula.
hope you are all warm and toasty, ropping down to the 30's this weekend, I am scrambling.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
3:36 AM

Post #9295417

Be careful Deb!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 4, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9295430

We're supposed to be 55 this weekend...what about you Drew...Alice?

I'm starting to move mine in next week...gonna start with the orchids and very tender ones. It is looking like I am going to have to load half of them back up and cart them all the way back to my other house and keep them in the garage. AArrgh!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9295480

Looks like we are due for a low of 57 on Sunday but that is not bothering me, I rarely fuss too much until it gets into the 40's and 30's but I don't have half the tender plants you do. My phils (monstera and selloums) stay in the ground year round. I will take cuttings of the begonias to bring inside and cover the rest if it gets into the 30's, many have been outside for years. Sometime in the next few weeks everything will get a good top dressing of compost and a heavy hay mulch. Not sure what I am going to do with the Worm Killer, I think I left it out last year. I do have a protected spot where I stash the half hardies.

Drew had better plan on investing in a very special gift for his spouse. She has to be a saint to "accommodate" those monster plants every winter.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9295500

This one is a tropical that will have to be protected, hedychium horsefieldii. Frankly, the flowers are not much to look at and the scent is more like that of a lily than a ginger.

Why did I buy these things??????

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9295567

home sick.. Alice, Sometimes I buy things just so I can see what they do.. I think those are cool.. but prolly if I had it and saw it finally bloom
I would offer it up just cause I got it to bloom. LOL hmm isn't ginger supposed to be good for you?

( my back is telling me I lifted too much late last night, but I stayed home cuz my tummy has been weird for abut two days)
has anyone heard of kalancho mariner?
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9295756

Upper 30's- low 40's Paula!

Alice, SHHHHHHHH! I have to bring my AeAe Christmas tree in again this year! Awesome on your Kona Coffee! Wait till next year... It'll be huge!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9295854

So sorry you are under the weather Deb, stay comfy and drink lots of liquids.
I've never heard of teh Kalenchoe Mariner and there are not many google images either. I do have some noid succulents that have similar flowers, maybe they are kalenchoes.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9295864

Ginger IS good for you, Deb. It's a cure for nausea, motion sickness, and it might be good for your sister's chemo symptoms if she's still doing that. My acupuncturist friend also says it's good for any kind of cold or flu. It's what the Chinese call a "warming herb". It also helps my arthritis, but if I eat too much of it, it gives me killer hot flashes. (sorry, probably TMI, right?)

My Brug 'Charles Grimaldi' is finally putting on a really nice show. Too bad my guests will be here next week after he's finished . . .

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 4, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9295956

Hibiscus bloom...I think its peppermint..something?

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 4, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9295987

Cute little Aloe haworthiodes...he's 'hairy'

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9296407

Elaine, No such thing as TMI when you are married to a nurse... No bodily function is sacred!
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9296968

AeAe... All I'm asking for is 11 more weeks of 80's...!

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9296980

Now that's a really rare sight, Drew! Fabulous.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9297057

I'll have to check with my friend that has Ae's and see if his are blooming - such a pretty sight!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9297243

WOW, Drew, that is such an accomplishment. Do you feed that one each time you water and what are you using for fertilizer?
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9297266

Thanks Ladies!

Alice, when I planted it this Spring, I put cow manure, compost and Lowes soil conditioner (very well shredded pine bark) in the soil. That was it. I am quite sure it got some residual 24-8-16 from some of the other plants that were 3-4 feet away from it.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9297412

Thanks, that is amazing. I don't think we have the soil conditioner in our Lowe's store, I'll check again though.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9297413

Thanks, that is amazing. I don't think we have the soil conditioner in our Lowe's store, I'll check again though.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 6, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9297490

I have been adding that to all my potting soil lately. It seems to help with the drainage and the soil doesn't compact as much.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9297502

Is it one of their Evergreen brand products?

At our Farmers Market this morning I resisted buying this beautiful sinningia Chrysothemis pulchella AKA Black Flamingo or Sunset bells.
(I am so proud of myself.)

Also, Check out this, not for sale, Black Bat. There were 13 flowers on it.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9297526

Alice, I have a couple of the Florida sunset plants and just love them - they are so beautiful!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 6, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9297559

WOW, Alice, did you ask them their secret for the bat flower??
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9297572

Not sure what they do but they have a big GH and I think they might fertilize each time they water.

How was you plant sale?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9297594

Ooo, that bat plant is just magnificent, Alice! I've been resisting trying to grow one, thinking all I've ever seen on them was one or two flowers. If I can grow one that looks anything like that one, I'll definitely try it out!

I am heading out to Tropiflora again this afternoon, their Fall Festival plant sale goes on through tomorrow and I only had a half hour yesterday so I didn't get to check out the bromeliad houses. I did buy three new orchids, though.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2012 6:34 PM
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 6, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9297649

aww, Elaine, you are so lucky! I would be BROKE if I lived near there!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9297735

She has both Tropiflora and Selby, Sigh..., and Selby has great buys on broms in their gift shop.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9297776

That Bat Plant is probably "several plants" most likely lots of pups off the mother plant that have gotten blooming size.
They are pretty cool.

Drew, I think you'll have 2 move a little farther south to have those temps your wanting for 2 more months.

I've never seen that soil conditioner at our Lowe's either, I'll have to go have a closer look at the Potting soil section.

White Sky vine shades the aisle way of our little barn. I should have moved the wheelbarrow.
Hoya Iris Marie, Tillandsia stricta

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies      

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9298152

that looks loverly even more so with the WHEELBARROW!

wow, wish I could go to those places and look at plants.. wait, nevermind.. no room at the Inn.
Joe managed to get the banana and it's two pups all the way down to the basement and it is now sitting in the sump pump well in front of the east window with the big mirror opposite it, nestled in it's own soil inside two large trash sacks, patted down and more top dressing, bags closed up and it is wrapped with a blue blanket on top . Perfect Fit! It even has three inches room left for it can grow upwards. only two leaves needed to come off, Joe is so happy we didn't have to cut it or the ceiling there LOL
everything else is in the basement in a room , or in the garage waiting for it's new spot, everything got fogged at once in the garage with dr doom miticide and bug spray.
Son worked his moving skills and got all of it inside before the 29 degree night tonight.
LOVE that hoya, Martha, and I also love the Tstricta, I have one and haven't seen it bloom.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9298326

I agree, Mj. The wheelbarrow just adds a nice touch to the pretty little barn shot. My sweet Tillandsias you sent me are very happy, but not blooming yet either. I'll be watching them daily now!

Deb, glad you got the banana into the basement, now for the next installment of the adventure, getting it out again next spring . . . Keep it cool-ish and it won't be putting up too many new leaves through the ceiling!

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 7, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9298590

Is this a Pineapple or some other bromeliad??

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9298601

i have never seen a pineapple plant, Paula. That one is very loverly with the striped leaves.
Feeling better today, went out to see what the low temps hit, not much damage.,, had blankets over the things I wanted to keep going ( tomatoes)
after the guys finished bringing stuff in, it looks like a tornadoe came by the back yard..
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 7, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9298692

FINALLLLY! After 2-3 years of trying to root this plant...my Nodding Clerodendron is finally about to bloom!!!
I am so excited, this is one of my all time favorite plants. I'm not saying that is that hard, just that I have had bad luck with it. The first time I got them rooted, but then lost them thru neglect, I guess. These are my second try. I can't wait for it to open. I actually have 4 others, one other has two small blooms on it.

I brought it inside so I can keep an eye on it.

I have updated my trade list with the plants I have taken cuttings of...so take a look and see if there is something we could trade for.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9298902

There is a variety of pineapple that has pink-ish leaves like that Paula. But can't really be sure until it puts up a flower. I don't think it will make edible fruit even if it IS a pineapple. It's strictly an ornamental variety.

I just plant the tops of pineapples I buy at the grocery store. They make an edible fruit after about 2 years with pretty much no care. Love those broms!

Getting dark, and starting to rain (again!) as I toured the garden this evening. A few nice things coming along -
-soft red Canna, my favorite after the dwarf yellow and white ones
- new red Pentas planted only 2 weeks ago are twice the size already
- a laugh for you all, my DH complained that the sun was coming in his office window late in the afternoon. I stuck a cutting of the Shooting Star clerodendron in the ground outside that window in May . . . well, he asked for it!! KayJones, this is the plant I sent you a start of! (bad picture, the motion sensor light on the house blazed on just as I was taking the pic)
- coming around the corner of the house, the most wonderful perfume from the Butterfly Hedychium
- milkweed usually lasts about a week before the Monarch caterpillars munch them. Most of mine are yellow, but here's a red one.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 9, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9300505

Brug 'Cherub' with one more lonely bloom. This is all it's done this season - a bloom or two here and there. 'Monster White' that I planted in the ground this spring has gone downhill drastically as well. The ones still in pots are doing fine.

I'm beginning to think they really don't like my high pH well water. Suppose I'll have to move them all so they get watered by the rainwater from the cisterns only. Arg.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9301172

elaine... please email me .. do you have my address?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9303857

Weather must be really great - it is here, and I just came in for a rest! Everybody's outside gardening!

I got a nice little orchid plant in bloom, from a lady on the Orchids forum. She calls it "the weed". I think I'm going to love having an orchid that grows like a weed!

My blue ginger from Alice with a nice big flower head finally opening its pretty little flowers.

Pale yellow flowering maple (Abutilon) still blooming like a hibiscus.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9305499

pretty! yes i was outside all day.. going to bed now, had a nap earlier... shouldn't have done that. love that blue ginger it is gorgeous.. what kind of orchid grows like a weed?
new four o clock cross .. i am happy..
I have been sitting on floridabunnies box too long,,, hello carol where are you???? I don't send out until I know someone is there to pick up..
where is rita? I know Kayjones will be on soon.. you all have a great week!

Thumbnail by joeswife

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9305976

Thanks for calling the roll, Deb. I was afraid everyone else had been abducted by aliens. The Garden Planet??

I have brug cuttings and a CG plant ready to go for you, but would like to wait another week to send them, to be sure the cuttings are well rooted. They'll travel better if they are. Or I can send them tomorrow morning?

Here's the little orchid that is reputed to grow like a weed. Gerberara Snow Ballet. Flowers sometimes open pink or pale purple then fade to white, so it can have 3 colors on it at once, too. Easy, vigorous, flowers like crazy - A treasure!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9306013

I'm here and reading - just don't have anything to add to all the wonderful plants you guys show.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9306161

you can wait...
HUGS KayJones! I bet ya got some cool foilage going on there now..
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9306421

Not really, Deb. I do have a couple of different Clerodendrons in bloom - just beautiful. The red Passifloras are budded and ready to pop, and the Cassias are in bloom. The Camellias are kicking in a bit early, but are going to be glorious.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9306648

ohhh I can't wait to see those passies! I have never seen a bunch of camelias blooming.. only a dead mite ridden little tree that someone had me de-bug.. they prolly thru it away for the lack of folage on it..
the cape honey suckle is about to pop open ( of course it is already downstairs) 87 today, go figger, one degree from a record high..

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9306982

Wow, your camellias bloom in the fall too? Pictures! We want to see pictures!! Love those camellias but they bloom so fleetingly you really should take lots of pictures, KayJones!

My Shooting Star cleros won't be in bloom until December or January. But the little Blue Butterfly clero you sent me has buds that look like they might open pretty soon!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9307053

Actually, one of my Camellias (white) started blooming about a week ago. I don't have a slot for my sd card on this computer, so will have to send from one of the other pc's.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9307282

The camellia sasanquas start blooming in September and continue through Christmas at which point the C japonicas start blooming and keep it up until the weather warms in April. I don't think they are fleeting at all, it is probably too warm for them in your area although a major grower is in central FL. In keeping with the strange bloom schedule this year. My earliest sasanquas still have tight buds and they should be almost finished by now. Those that normally would not start blooming until November are opening already. The only weather difference was the warmer winter but it hardly seems that would have thrown things so off schedule.

Kay does your white sasanqua have a scent? Some of the old timey white ones have a lovely scent.

Thumbnail by ardesia

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9307398

I don't know, Alice, if there's a scent or not - I can check in the morning, if one is open. Right now, all that were open have fallen off.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9307596

love that color, Alice. Beautiful!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9307825

I don't have any camellias here, so I'm talking from long ago memories. The ones I remember are up in Vancouver, Canada where it always seemed they were gorgeous, but only lasted a week or two in very early spring. Maybe because the blooms were ruined by the rain half the time, though! The bush I had in my yard there looked almost exactly like your picture, Alice! Same leaves, same fat buds, mine was even a similar color only maybe a bit more coral. I never get up to visit Vancouver until late summer, so haven't seen the glory of spring there in years.

I'm going to look into the sasanqua type, especially if they bloom a long time and twice a year!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9307862

Check with the folks at Erinon, in Apopka, for varieties that might do well in S. FL. They were recommended to me by the head horticulturist at the American Camellia Society headquarters in GA. He told me they specialize in the more heat tolerant cultivars. Paula, the ACS is at Massee Lane Gardens in Fort Valley; I don't think that is too far from your home, you should check this place out when the japonicas are in full bloom.

This one is Nuccio's Pearl, which sadly, was short lived for me. May it RIP.

Thumbnail by ardesia

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9307925

Thanks, Alice! I am planning a trip to Apopka for an orchid hunt next month if I can work it into the schedule. Will definitely look them up!
I got foliage, Deb! Also white brugs blooming in 3 different jungles around the pool cage.

- Thai caladiums took a rest in mid-summer and are going strong again now.
- the "nursery" with coleus starts, begonia and dwarf Alocasia from Mj, and Ylangylang from Cassie coming nicely. Start of clero 'Pagoda' from floridabunnie is just out of the pic to the right, also doing great! Thanks all!!
- Brug 'Monster White' with normal flowers, not split cups finally.
- Copper leaf from Cassie and 'Dipt in Wine' coleus from Mj looking a bit pale in the shade, will move it to more sun soon!
- Purple firespike from Rita

See what a great garden you all have sent me!

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9307947

nice pictures! glad to see the babies!
i haven't been in the garden too much lately. i just went out to do a little clean up and was so excited to see my varigated banana 'tani' that i bought at fairchild with homer alive!!. i thought it was a gonner because it turned brown and mushy. i thought i would take some pictures
1. 'tani' banana
2. stromanthe?
3. a new bromeliad from searle brothers sale.
4.anthurium
5. begonias

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9307953

the cuban anole i walked by and barely saw until he ran up the palm.
my girl molly

Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela   Thumbnail by candela

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9307977

Breath-taking plants, Ladies!!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9308094

Awwww, Molly wants a pet, what else are hands for?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9308129

More foliage from this morning's walk-around.
-Stingray Alocasia in the foreground, and across the pool, Colocasia 'Blue Hawaii' is winding down a bit, making smaller leaves. Needs a bigger pot - where's Drew when ya need him?? I'm going to need to wheel it into the shop and lift it with the chain hoist to repot.
- Coleus 'Florida Sun Rose' putting on its full color range, and Begonia 'Looking Glass'
- Begonia 'Don Miller' from Alice enjoying life in the jungle
- Alocasia 'Hilo Beauty' with a dash of palm frond for texture
- Coral Barleria which I rarely see the flowers on, as I don't get up early enough in the morning!

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9308163

Interesting, I always thought it was too hot here for barleria. I have one but it melts during the mid summer, it is just now coming back and starting to flower again.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9308192

Elaine, you sent me another start of the red Baleria (I think it was you), but it died - guess you are correct, Alice - must be too hot and humid for me to grow it.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9308211

Quick, go out and check again, mine completely disappears during the summer and then it comes back to life in the fall. Yours may be out there blooming where you least expect it to.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9308257

Will do!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2012
10:33 PM

Post #9308561

gorgeous foilage and blooms ya all.. I love it..
your siam caladium is really pretty..
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9308615

Glad to know it did not melt Cassie! It looks good to me also. I have plants coming out of my Blank. I don't know what the hell I am going to do with all of them. You contributed to my plant hoarding!!!

I'm here Elaine, If I were there we would have it potted up in no time! Given up on that Stingray... Killed it 3 times...nuff said!

Closing down shop for the year. Getting to cold ladies!

Excellent plants everybody. Will post a few when I drag everything into the garage and house this week.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9308775

Darnit, I have two Stingrays and was going to offer you one, Drew. (just kidding) I've been circling that Colocasia wondering what to do with it, and I think I'm going to find a place for it in the ground, it's just too big for me to mess with in a pot!

That red barleria self-sows here and spreads itself around like a pretty groundcover in the shade here. It never disappears, either! Must be just that few degrees hotter up there in SC and Panama City that makes it give up, huh?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9308921

It is hotter here, isn't that strange considering that both Pamama City and here we get plenty of sea breezes. As I go inland to central SC the temps are even 10 degrees hotter than the coast in the summer. You can grow things in more sun than we can also. Elaine, you live in the most perfect spot and we are all envious. :-)

This message was edited Oct 18, 2012 12:27 PM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9309290

yes, we are all jealous, LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife         

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9309534

Yes we are Deb.

Maybe in the Spring Elaine. I just can't grow one in a pot!!! Those Colocasia will do fine, especially in a morning and late afternoon full sun setting.

Brought in a couple of plants yesterday. Don't know where I will put the other 75%.

Thumbnail by homer1958

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9309581

Well, kids - I've been thinking - oh, no! Let's build a wonderful, very large and fully-functioning greenhouse on the empty lot across the street from my house - you all can bring your plants and winter them over and I will take care of them!!!! How does that sound?!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9309843

Well Drew, if you have killed it 3 times that makes you an official gardener - according to Tony. LOL

For all its worth, I do not like the look of the sting rays, I don't like Mickey Mouse either. To me they both look like they have deformed leaves. You know what they say about grumpy old ladies - and I am getting grumpier by the day. LOL

Kay, wouldn't that be fun.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9310065

Not grumpy...Seasoned!

You would not want that job Kay!

Yes; this was the 2'' leaf Monstera deliciosa that was in the compost pile in December '10.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2012 7:48 PM

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9310110

Alice, maybe I'm a grumpy old lady, too. You're right, the Stingray leaves do look deformed. I so wish they would stay pretty and flat like they were when they were babies. But . . . they look like they came out of the dryer after sitting for a week.

Our Master Gardener plant sale was last weekend, I really REALLY should have donated those two plants!!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9310124

elaine, hold on to those for me, I will find something to trade you for them.. I lost my stingray it was a tiny tiny baby..like these were.. only it disapeared, and these grew..

Thumbnail by joeswife

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9310468

Sure, Deb. But you should know that they're already pretty big - in 3gal. pots and the leaves are over 4ft. tall. That leaf in the pic is about 16in. across.

One of them has a pup about 18in. tall. I can probably separate it and send it to you. Let's see how they look by spring, maybe they'll fit in a box if they go dormant this winter. Otherwise, }}sigh{{ you'll just have to come visit and take them home with you . . .

This message was edited Oct 20, 2012 3:41 PM
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9310636

Looks like Alocasia sarian to me Deb.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9310833

hmmmm I see another Florida vacation on the rise..
yes my sarian and frydek and others are doing well down in the basement..

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9311224

Elaine what is the name of this owl? I'm thinking from the size it is still a young one. I had left the cage door open the last couple of days and in flew this guy this morning. Gosh don't know if you can tell anything as the picture is so dark, I don't want to go outside to try for a picture as it has had enough excitment and I don't know if it is injured. I'll try for some other pictures.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2012 11:22 AM

Thumbnail by meadowyck

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9311226

ok here is one through that patio door... just over look the clems on the shelf...lol Its eyes aren't open but you can see the color better.

Thumbnail by meadowyck

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9311293

Oh, he's beautiful! It looks like you need me to visit you and take care of some of your plants!!!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9311294

ATTENTION:

Who sent me the blue ginger? Wasn't it YOU, Alice???!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9311312

Kay the Clems are going at a point to cut back and give them a rest. They will be back and bigger in several months. They don't really like it here but these two are getting use to it
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9311318

Jan, I don't know what you're saying - either I'm dense or just missed something - what are 'Clems'?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9311338

you are dense, they are clematis plants, these are just some cuttings I took last year. clems are short for clematis.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9311354

LoL, Jan nobody grows clematis here. They need a good winter dormancy. No wonder Kay didn't know what a "clem" was. Try mandevilla or a passionvine if you want a pretty flowering vine. You will have much more success.

The cute little owl might be an Eastern Screech Owl. They're about that size, have "ears" and can be grey or brown. I'm assuming he flew into your porch? Be sure to keep the door open, and see if he flies out tonight. They hunt at night. Good birds to have around - they eat mice and other rodents that you really don't want around.

Last flower umbel finishing up on the Brazilian Red Cloak. It's really been a winner this year, blooming non-stop for nearly 4 months!

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9311368

Elaine - you lucky duck! Mine still hasn't grown a lot or bloomed, but I'm a patient person (not) - if I put it in the greenhouse for the cold weeks, will it continue to grow? I don't know if I should dig it up or not - can anyone enlighten me?
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9311421

I concur on the Eastern screech.

A few Anthurium seedlings.

Thumbnail by homer1958

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9311469

awww love that owl.. how lucky you are, Jan.
beautiful Brazilian Cloak, Elaine.
Lovely seedlings, Drew.. were they from seeds? gee!
I still have room for plants in here.. LOL
these are all blooming inside now..

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9311526

Wow, Deb - they are beautiful!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9311543

Kay, I did send you a blue ginger but you said it had died. When I went to replace it you told me Cassie had already sent you one so I sent the one I had for you to Elaine. There - clear as mud. :-)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9311593

OK - Cassie, there's something wonderful happening in that 'empty' pot that I almost emptied - I have TWO teeny-tiny leaves emerging!!! I am so excited to see if it will live in the greenhouse and eventually bloom for me - THANK YOU!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9311794

well our little screech stayed until 9:45 tonight and then I went out to help him find his way to the door, he had already flew over to the chair backs and then to a camp chair close to the open screen door. Now he is gone and it is a little sad, as it was such a treat to see him looking in at my kitchen sink. It wouldn't bother me if he flew back in tomorrow again, at which time I think I would make a perch for him. I would so love it if he moved in...LOL

Thanks all.

Elaine the clems have been amazing as they keep on going, they die back and I trim they are a 3 and I wait for a few months and out comes the new growth... So this time they will be repotted up again for the next growth.

Jan
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2012
3:34 AM

Post #9311897

I feel like that with my frogs, Jan!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9311962

I really like frogs but the darn snakes around here keep eating them, and that eat them right in front of me... I hate snakes, I don't care how good they are for the yard!

Jan

Here is a one of the sliders, it really was an amazing day to have him hang around like he did.

Thumbnail by meadowyck

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9312190

Went on a garden tour yesterday and saw something I had never seen before. Confederate jasmine with seed pods! They look just like string beans hanging down. This is not a great photo, the sun was so bright I could not see what I was taking. There is a picture of them in PF, but this was a first for me.

The garden had been cleaned up for the tour but I did manage to find a fallen seed pod in a shrub underneath the vine. The seeds are like milkweed seeds, they have a little fluff on them.

Thumbnail by ardesia

candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 22, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9312243

Jan he is so cute!

Jo, glad to see the blue ginger growing, mine is putting up babies from the bottom.

Ardesia I have never seen seed pods either, nice.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9312249

My neighborhood CJ vines have seed pods on them, but they never seem to ripen.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9312287

KayJones, I wouldn't dig up your established Braz. Red Cloak to bring it into the greenhouse. If it is well established and looks healthy, leave it be, maybe throw a sheet over it when the nights are cold, and take a few cuttings as insurance. That's what I'm doing with mine. I start all my cuttings in water, then pot up in potting soil when they have roots.

IF you do lose it to the cold this winter, I'll send you another start and you can maybe plant it in a different place where it will bloom better?

I think the Con. Jasmine never goes dormant down here, so it never needs to make seeds. I've never seen a vine with seeds here.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9312316

It doesn't go dormant here either, it was most unusual and I verified with both the homeowner and a horticulturist that it was indeed a CJ. I should mention that the hort. had never seen one seed either. I am hoping the few seeds I found are viable just on the chance that it might be a diffferent cultivar.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9312349

OK - I won't dig it up - I'll make a tent for it on cold nights - thanks!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9312620

cool! gee what is a CJ ? LOL ( confederate jasmine.. is it yellow)

purple firespike is really big and full now, it is supposed to turn back cold this weekend, should I dig it up? Just when I think I have all the tropicals in
I find another one outside *sigh*

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9312638

My purple firespike bloomed right through winter last year, Deb. For what it's worth, we did have lots of nights in the 40's and a couple in the 30's. If it's a short cold front there's the possibility of the weather warming up again = I'd just cover it up out there.

Somebody else on another thread is in St. Louis and said they were predicted to have 3 weeks of warm weather. Are they further south than you?

Btw, another 'for what it's worth' I used to sew a lot when we lived in Utah, and we were into winter sports of course. I came to Florida with boxes full of fabric scraps of polar fleece. It makes the absolute BEST frost covers for plants - it's very light but insulates beautifully and even if it gets wet it still keeps the plants warm. Watch your local fabric stores for sales! It's great stuff and can be cheap, too.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9312693

truly a great advice! I have big burlap bags from my local feed and seed sore and a huge bag of old comforters I use every year...
the oleander is huge, it is in a tub, Joe loves it, we wil likely leave it out until havy freeze warning. the leaves on it are tuff, the leaves on the firespike are very light compared to the oleander.. was just scared. I still have the ones KayJones And Rita have sent me, hope maybe next year to see them bloom.
basement garden labled "Charlies room".. the north east end.. still room in here for plants.. will prolly move a bunch from the south east main room to here.. the sticto, calico pipe vine, passion flowers, catsclaw vine and others are already vining everywhere..
pic 2... my peter pepper plant
all my peppers and tomatoes are going crazy in here..
my one and only plummie
new bloom on anthruium from a dear friend here..
shrimp plant from same dear friend
bored stoopid debate.. back to gardening at night in the comfort of my basement.. LOL

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 23, 2012
2:49 AM

Post #9312799

Nice Debra...is the shrimp plant 'fruit cocktail'? Never seen one that color.

I have lots of plants you can add to the empty spots. Interested?
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #9312820

Ditto in the polar fleece. I use it also, we briefly lived in Boston, not too far from Mauldin Mills where is was made and they had a great outlet store. I have a couple of blanket sized pieces that are great for throwing over large plants.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 23, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9312830

That's a great idea!! FYI...walmart has fleece blankets (approx 5 x 5) for $2.88. Its not the real thick fleece, but I have looked at fleece at the fabric store and its $5-12 a yard, so that's a lot cheaper, not to mention should be the perfect size to wrap up a shrub.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9312876

good morning! It looks like it is snowing yellow leaves from the neighbors tree to the south of me here.. We still havn't figured out what kind of tree this is, but we do love it so..

I have a collection of "throws" that have a fleece feel. Right now, Joe isn't letting me spend much money while he is on strike, but as soon as he is back to work, I will be hiing the DAV and Goodwills for more supplies LOL
I need to report two things that are supposed to be tropical as coming back from last winter. tropical milkweed and mexican petunia both came back here.. is that a normal thing?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9312889

Deb, I don't know if it's 'normal' for those to come back or not, but that's great news!

The red Baleria is coming back, after I was sure I had killed it - I LOVE living in Florida!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9312898

I would love to visit georgia, don't think I have everf been there, and thanks Paula for the offer, but I am only interested in prennials right now, however, I think I have at least one plant from all of this group here except you,to keep going in the basement garden and show off every summer.
Maybe this spring a special something from Georgia girl would complete my tropical forum family plants.?
from elaine
Happy Halloween!

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife         

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9313025

LOve the jack-o-lantern, Deb. Aren't the velvety leaves on that P. Gloriosum nice?

That Mexican petunia never stops here - it is an invasive weed, and I have bushels of it I'm always yanking out if you want some! It barely slows down blooming even in cold weather.

White plumes
B. Sophie Cecile made spotted leaves in the spring, plain dark leaves through summer, and now spotted ones again.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9313034

oops, hit Send too soon. Here's Sophie and a couple of Heliconias

Hazards of living here - I was up all night chasing raccoons out of the pool cage. Gang of 4 young-ish ones, not in the least afraid. I had to growl and bark like a big fierce dog to get their attention. My plants are all a mess and several floating were around in the pool. Of course they show up right when we are waiting to head out of town.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9313077

Grrrrr, I feel your pain Elaine. I wish I knew why raccoons were on this earth to begin with. Even snakes have a purpose but around here all the raccoons do is creat havoc and spread rabies. (can you tell they are not my favs?)

Bouvardia ternifolia always looks so twiggy but it blooms non stop.

A Zebra Longwing has been visiting the jatropha. We haven't seen one of these in at least 5 years.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2012 11:05 AM

Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia   Thumbnail by ardesia      

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9313097

Love those Zebra longwings! I've been lucky to have several around this summer. They are Florida's state butterfly.

On the raccoon front, they are not even indigenous to this area! Migrated here like everyone else for the good weather, no doubt. Anyway nothing bad but something good comes of it, we needed to replace the old cat door anyway, and this incident last night inspired DH to search for a good alternative. The cat won't wear a collar, she goes out with it on, comes back without it and can't get back into the house. So the ones with the magnets or other collar key tags wouldn't work, but he found one that is programmed to allow her microchip to open the door. I hope SO much that it works. She is determined to be an outdoor cat, as she was born to a feral mother. I'm worried that either she will get mauled by 4 raccoons or that they will get into the house. I have a trap, but it only traps one at a time and last time I used it I kept trapping a possum. Animal Control comes to take away the trapped animal and charges $20 each time.

My head aches, I need a nap! And I have to serve at the MG help desk this afternoon.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9313416

love the flutterby.. never saw one b4..
feel better Elaine.. Hugs!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9313628

Sorry to hear of your coon problems Elaine, and that is really incredible to have a door that the chip will open, just incredible... I have one dog that will use the doggie door but my girl doesn't like anything on her face so she will not push on the flap to come in to save my life... I've tried with her favorite food and nope, nothing doing... But really I think the only reason the boy learn the use of the door was cause his sister was in heat and he wanted to be next to her...LOL

Hope you fee better and hope your MG afternoon went well.

Jan

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9313674

I apologize, and thank everybody for letting me rant/vent above. *&^%#$%#@ raccoons!!

Hoping for a quiet night tonight so I can get some sleep.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9313762

Don't apologise Elaine, they might have cute faces but they are evil IMO. :-)

In addition to the rabies, their droppings can contain a unique roundworm that can do some significant damage, even fatalities, to our pets and more importantly, to humans. Worst part is these organisms are so small they can become airborne so just cleaning up the crap when they poop on your deck is risky. Our vets warn us to keep the animals away from the droppings so we shout like maniacs whenever the dog stops to sniff something and how pitiful is that, dogs love to sniff.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9313776

And eat whatever disgusting thing they come across!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9313849

LOL, how true.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9313985

Have a question about my Sago Palm. The large one I have has something "happening" in the center. The fuzzy ball that happens when new fronds are forming is there and looking through the gaps I see bright orange globes - look like tangerines.

Anyone have any idea what this is???
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9314007

Pics might be helpful

Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter         

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9314052

Those are seeds - the beginning of new plants - they sprout too easily, imho!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9314081

Thanks...I have lots of area to cover so "free" new plants will be welcome.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9314445

Nice Jack-O-Lantern Deb.

Cyrtosperma merkusii

Thumbnail by homer1958

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 24, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9314467

Nice, Drew. Pretty shiny leaves.

Here are those Xantho's in my neighbor's ditch out front. Last year they weren't even half this size. They are taller than me, and their bases are a couple of feet below where I was standing! The leaf with my paw in the picture was at least 3ft. long!

Guess lots of water makes the world go 'round when it comes to aroids, huh?

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9314526

I have these huge-leafed EE's - I was told they were 'Jack's Giant' by my neighbor - it that incorrect?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9314552

the pups I separated downstairs are huge.. I have so many and no where to put them! well, I do, but that would be a lot of pots to move around..
sister had her surgery today, got the fluid off her heart, couldn't help her with the fluid on her lungs or stomach, she is griping about the pain meds she hates, so I know she is ok. LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9314564

Kay,

Those are Xanthosoma sagittifolium. 'Jacks Giant' is a Colocasia. The difference is easy. See how the petiole (leaf stem) attaches to the leaf in that open area between the two rear lobes. A Colocasia will attach to the leaf in that same area, however, the leaf will not have that opening (sinus) where it attaches. It will just be all leaf.

Google Colocasia Images and Xanthosoma images and for the most part (because you have to take some of their pictures with a grain of salt) you will see what I am talking about!

This message was edited Oct 24, 2012 9:09 PM

This message was edited Oct 24, 2012 9:10 PM

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9315696

Wind is whipping up outside..Woke me up about an hour ago, and I couldn't get back to sleep.I hope my hanging plants are still hanging !! Thanks Sandy !!
A few pics from the last week or so...
Pagoda plant ( Clerodendron) and Salvia madrensis ( Forsythia Sage )
Brug...one I've had a while and this is the best it's ever bloomed, I "think" it's Creamsicle, but really don't remember.
Orchids, and Hoya

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9315704

Martha, what is the yellow plant behind the Pagoda - It's really pretty - might need to get one!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9315718

Kay - it's Salvia madrensis ( Forsythia Sage )
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9315743

Elaine, this one was almost 9' tall in September a few yrs. back. Hard to believe if this was squirrel damage... Thinking RACCOON!

Can't keep up with all the flowers on here...Sensory Overload!

Thumbnail by homer1958

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9315745

This was about a week before...

Thumbnail by homer1958

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9315797

oh poor Drew! Dang tree rats!

Alice that is so nice to give me a glimpse of sumer still.. it is freezing here.. LOL
I would love some seeds of that yellow salvia. I hope my pagoda plant looks like yours someday.
Gee wish ANY of my hoyas would bloom. *sniff*
What kind of orchid is that.. I love it and now I want one of those to try.. Gee thanks!
Hope Sandy doesn't get you guys too bad..
love u guys!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9316085

Hurricane is passing us by, with only some breezy days today and tomorrow. After our wet summer, I thought I'd be a while wishing for rain, but things are drying out with all the wind and no rain for 10 days here. A little rain band or two would not be unwelcome.

Drew, that is amazing damage for a small animal, you sure there aren't any elephants in your garden? Seriously, deer or moose? My neighbor's Xanthos aren't showing any sign of anything eating them, and they are very luscious looking. Lots of small tender ones under the big ones, too. We certainly have tons of squirrels and raccoons around here but no deer! Mind you there's still lots of other stuff for everybody to eat around here now. Even the birds aren't at my birdfeeders nearly as much because everything's got seeds and fruit.

Deb, I'm glad I looked at the weather before sending your brugs this week - they would have arrived right along with the cold weather. Will watch for a better weather window, maybe next Monday.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9316164

Well, we have deer, but no moose LOL! A couple of the leaves on the ground were partially chewed... I don't know! STILL working on plants to come in... Have to have it finis tomorrow so I can spend all day Sunday spraying for Spider Mites before the big freeze Monday night!

Oh.. And the Elephants are over in Tuscaloosa... Rolllll, Tiiiide!

Everyone have a splendid weekend.
candela
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 26, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9316323

Nice flowers!
Qwilter I think the center of your sago is good but I noticed the yellow spots on the leaves. You should look on the underside of the leaves to make sure there isn't any scale. If so rub them off with some rubbing alcohol.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9316351

Looks like deer damage to me also. Raccoons usually prefer the roots and love to yank plants out of pots so they can feast on the succulent parts. Grrrrrrrr

Hurricane sky tonight.

Thumbnail by ardesia

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9316362

That's a beautiful site, Alice. I hope you don't get any real weather problems.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9316474

You need to blow that up and frame it...Verry Artsy!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9316525

Alice, I would love to have that picture - dmail me and let's see if we can work out a trade for a copy of it.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9316561

me too! i want a copy to frame...
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9316844

Thank you all, it was such a vivid red. The rain bands are starting to come in today so I don't know what tonights sky will be like. We do not expect much here other than high tides and some mild wind gusts. It looks like the poor northeast is going to get walloped yet once again. Floods, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, they do not know what to expect next.

Dmail me your emails and I'll send you the photo link.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012

Post #9316873

BRRRRRR!!!!!!!! welp, time to figure out what tubers to dig up.. foilage is all freaked from the hard freeze.. should I dig up cannas? some say yes and some say no.. uncle bud and aunt margie ( 94 and 91) say leave them in, dearie... that is what they do..
By the way.. tropical milkweed came back from last winter as did the ruella..
some stragglers of purple sorrell did too.. now, the firespike got bit, so I am digging it up to start over inside. as soon as it is warm enough for this old achey body to get out of my jammies LOL

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9316890

I would love to meet Uncle Bud and Aunt Margie. they sound like sweeties.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9317084

Bud and Margie are brother and sister. They are two of the three left in that family. Bud's eyes lit up when I took them over the baby sago palm, the brug Alex, and some triple daturas that I had started, and gave him a ton of japanses morning glory seeds. His back yard is full of sunflowers and raspberrys and heavenly blue mgs, hardy hibiscus, and TREES of ros. I swear I want to be like him when I grow up. He built tiny baby steps out of cement he masoned himself for his older sister at all the steps leading out of the house. Marge is widowed, and worked at the exclusive Petroleum Club on the penthouse for almost 25 years . They take care of themselves, but my daughter Karin, and her Grandma Polly( the little sister of them) take turns going over there. I am related by marriage ( divorced from him now) but we have always been friends. They inspire me to advize my children to take care of each other. ANYWAY, here they are.. LOL He makes wine from his berries, they are all over his yard.
off topic.. is storm sandy threatening anyone here?

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife      

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9317317

Deb, at this minute, it is 56 degrees with 20 mph sustained winds - it's COOOOOLLLLD!!!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9317391

oh poor you!!! It has gotten up to 42 today, I have been saving some Annuals like i said i wouldn't.. LOL
got my red and bronze begonias back in, and the pink and red salvias cut bac and saved, dahlias dug up, cannas cut off, will try saving a few and leaving a few and see how that goes.

it is 63 in the house, no heat yet in here.. we are really tuffing it LOL
Amanda needs help with advice in BOP's.. she is on tropicmans thread Migrating Brid.. if anyone can help her..

I have never grown a BOP, and it took Don 18 years to see his whote one bloom, so I KNOW I am not up to waiting that long for one LOL
someone told me to leave the fig tree out ntil it gets frost bitten.. so far after two nights of below freezing, it is still fresh and perky.. I don't get it.

spread some lilac cuttings and some ROS branches around against the house to see if they will Root. Had to move the Goji berry shrub. it was happy where it was at, but in the way. *sigh*
Need some tropical pictures here, all the hibs are blooming, they are kinda boring at this point.. so.. memories of tropical plants in the past..

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9317405

Good thing you sent me this little clerodendron 'Blue Butterfly' bush, KayJones. Here it is happily blooming despite the big bamboo clump dropping its boots all over! Still fairly warm here, although we are forecast to get down into the 50's later in the week.

I have spikes on my little "wild" orchids - the mottled leaves are Monk's orchid, a naturalized species. Flowers soon. Tiny leaves are a native species I got from Mj, the "Green fly orchid" because the flowers are only about 1/2in. across, but perfect tiny greenish white orchids.

Deb, our posts crossed. BoPs - I have talked myself to a standstill trying to convince people they are Really not something you want to try to grow in a pot up north, (unless you are Drew with a football team at your disposal to help you move huge plants) They are really HUGE plants that get well over 20ft tall in my garden with no help from me, before they start to bloom. Every year I cut out the tallest stems in the spring, and still by this time of year they are up there messing with the power lines. They love water and tropical sun, and weigh a ton. If Amanda has a forklift and a 3 story atrium with a glass roof, she might see a flower on it in her lifetime, but I'd doubt it.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2012 9:52 PM

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9317429

Well, Elaine, it looks happy! If you have any extra Monk's Orchid bulbs, I'd love to trade for some. I guess I'll need to trade with Martha for the Green Fly Orchid bulbs.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9317434

ut ohhhh KayJones is going to get hooked on orchids LOL
My clero BB is bloomng too.. so is the cape honey suckle.. everything down stairs thinks it is still summer I think..
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9317575

It's 62 this morning with 25 mph winds - Cold! Later this week, low of 65 and highs in the 80's - ya never know what OUR weather is going to do!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 28, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9317708

Susan, Drew, Alice, and anyone else up that way...hope you guys stay safe. They're saying the wind is going to be bad. Very breezy here yesterday, but nothing now. Alot cooler, supposed to be 37 tonight...yikes.
homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9317736

5-10 mph here Paula. Thanks!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9317806

Thanks from here too. Winds are about 15 mph and it is sunny and warm here. The tides were slightly higher than normal but nothing like the weather liars predicted. We had some misting yesterday morning but that was it, the pavement never even got wet. They did have rain closer to the coast, however. It was just about 5 miles away. Our nighttime temps should be in the mid 40's this week. Still haven't brought anything inside. When it gets into the 30's then I will fret.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9317816

ALice, I am glad you are okay. My brother and family live in virginia, they are batting down the hatches so to speak..
while I was trying to stay warm, I cleaned and trimmed and planted stuff until 2 thirty am last night in the WARM basement. the lights keep it quite toasty down there. I dug up a red foilage hibiscus that I didn't have tagged and was afraid I would lose it, it is very very tall. Out in the country I found some pitcher sage and some frostweed, so I dug them up ( it was very dry that day) brough them home and left them to soak in a shallow tub of water. now new growth and planted outside. I hope it comes in strong!
only 30 outside and 62 inside. I want to go back to bed, but feel like I must keep getting things done for some reason. I can't find my shizo hibiscus. I hope I didn't give it away!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9317833

Google 'cranberry Hibiscus' Deb, and see if that's what you have.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2012

Post #9317851

Deb, it's very likely a seedling from one of those cuttings I sent you. Hibiscus acetocella. Cut the top foot or two off it, put it in a jar of water and in a week you'll have roots, and a shorter, more manageable plant. It should be very happy to go through winter in your basement.

KayJones, I'll be glad to send you a little monk's orchid. You'll have to keep it in the GH over winter, I think. The furthest north they occur in Florida is Alachua county according to the map. http://www.flnativeorchids.com/natives_gallery/oeceoclades_maculata.htm I've got mine in a bowl of bark chips so I can move it to the protected area if we get cold nights.

The Green Fly orchid is hardy all the way up to NC, if I recall correctly. http://www.flnativeorchids.com/natives_gallery/epidendrum_magnoliae.htm and is found all along the Gulf Coast but not in TX.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9318033

I'll find something to trade for it. I've never seen the Green Fly Orchid, I don't think.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9318036

Calling Deb:

Please - ANSWER your phone OR call me!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9318037

Elaine, I see that you requested that trades wait until spring. Send me a 'wish' list and I'll see if I have anything you need. I will gladly send something OTHER than plants, too - just let me know.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9318080

Trying to get everyone's location in my mind. I'm so concerned for the thousands who will be hardship during this storm. We had a frost last night and some of my tropicals got a little bite. Insignificant in light of what others are facing.

As always, praying for each of you.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9318097

It's not affecting us here in N.W. Florida, Christi, but thank you for your precious concern - Love YOU!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9318216

Hi there, KayJones.. my phone is dead.. sorry!
Been downstairs gardening. ...
got a pot roast on now, I am already wearing my bathrobe over my clothes LOL
House smells good and it is warmer already.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9318223

Your house phone doesn't work either? Hmmmmmmm, I think you just don't want to talk to me - sniff, sniff!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9318244

All of you have become family. I don't post much here because I'm kind of out of the loop but I lurk a lot. When one is missing too long I get concerned. I live less than 10 miles from Rita. May have to go to her house to check on her.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9318262

christi, yes please go see her as I am worried about her a LOT!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 28, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9318450

and Rachel too...anyone heard from her???

RachelLF

RachelLF

October 28, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9318473

I'm still around Paula but seldom have time to check in anymore. I am hoping all stay safe from "Sandy" and Christi, please do check up on Rita as I've not heard from her in while either.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9318500

KayJones wrote:Your house phone doesn't work either? Hmmmmmmm, I think you just don't want to talk to me - sniff, sniff!

son just texted joanna and told her to check our land line .. it was lopsided on the cradle i guess.. sorry!

will call you in the am from work, dearest KayJones.

homer1958
Huntersville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
2:58 AM

Post #9318651

joeswife wrote:christi, yes please go see her as I am worried about her a LOT!

Ditto!

So;... I get everything in the garage and house this weekend and the camera peters out!!!

This message was edited Oct 29, 2012 5:01 AM
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

October 29, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9318671

Hi Rachel, glad everything is fine. I know what you mean, I usually get on first thing of a morning. That's my 'me' time and instead of coffee, I spend 10-15 on DG before my day begins.
prita
Red Oak, TX

October 29, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9318788

Hello Everyone!
I would like everyone to know that I am well but have been busy house hunting and jumping through some of life's hurdles that I had to put my gardening on hold for a little while.
It has been very cold and have not yet taken in all my tropicals. I hope to get caught up soon and get back in the groove of the thread, which I might add, is great!!!! Thanks to everyone that shared their beautiful pictures.

Thumbnail by prita

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9318803

I'm happy to see that everyone is accounted for and seemingly doing o.k. This is a busy time of year for all of us - dragging plants into the warmth and cutting back yard plants - it could drive one to drink!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9318813

YAY! Rita is ok.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9319559

Whew - I just brought in about 10 plants and am exhausted - I'm swearing off any more plants - no, I REALLY am, NO, I really mean it THIS TIME!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 29, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9319639

LoL!! Too late, Kay. Little orphan orchid on its way to you this morning . .. it won't take up much room and certainly weighs nothing.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #9319775

hahahahahaha ok u all made me feel better, thanks! ;D joe has been rolling the huge oleander in and out of the garage .. he loves that thing...
everything else has been settled and blooming and I spend my evenings trimming and cleaning up the pots and stuff. I like it.
so worried about the noreasterners. like a disaster movie, I swear.. ugh.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2012
2:34 AM

Post #9319816

Good morning, my gardening friends - hope everyone is safe and warm. It's cold with 20+ m.p.h. sustained winds - no abating in site - temp. is in the low 50's - we are freezing down here in Paradise!

Ya, Elaine - it's not likely I'll give up on acquiring new plants, but when I'm carrying in pots, that chore sure should be an antidote to a wonderful addiction - like any addict, I can't sustain my resistance for very long, though.

Martha, have you gotten your box yet?

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #9319839

Same weather conditions here Kay, so cold so suddenly and the winds drove me crazy all night. I couldn't sleep, we have family on both the Jersey shore and Long Island so I was glued to the television. Seeing the pictures on TV was sobering, it could have been any of us who choose to live along the coast. TV guys were just talking about how to stay warm without power, I feel terrible for grumbling about the temp here.

One of my sons lives in Asheville and they had their first snow of the year last night.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9319848

Yes, Alice - we have nothing to complain about when one thinks of those on the east coast. My son and family live in Virginia, where it's raining and the winds are wild - I will continue to pray for all those in Sandy's path.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9319882

Burrr cold here this morning too ! 42 this morning. Had seen the prediction for a few nights below 50 this week so had moved a bunch of stuff into the greenhouse and barn. So glad it didn't have to be more to move !!

We've been watching the mess up north also. SO is a supervisor for a large tree company that contracts to the Power company and they have already sent alot of crews up there. They told him to have bags packed and ready.

Kay yes box arrived yesterday. Cuttings soaking in a pitcher of water and Superthrive till I can get them done up later this morning.
Thank You !!
Everyone was all bundled up last night...even Kobie
White Philippine Violets are loving this weather.

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies         

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9319939

I have the blue Baleria - where did you find your white, Martha? It looks like it also comes in pink, red, orange - wow!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9319955

awww Martha, is that a beagle there? Oh gosh I miss Duke somuch. He was such a good lap warmer and snuggle bunny. Ya all stay warm.. getting up to 71 today yay!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9322094

Couple of shots of some color in the garden. The abrupt change from 70's at night to 50's at night has some of the tropical divas winding down already. But my Caladiums have decided to put up a second show this year. They rested and now are coming up again!

Blue ginger from Alice still opening up flowers on the one stalk.
Thai caladium and white plume - wish I could locate that snail that's eating the leaves in there!

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9322137

Put some slug pellets in a plastic cup, lay it on its side under the plant, and he/they will be in there by morning!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9322270

KayJones, has your tai caladiums come up yet?

nice today wish I had been home to finish up fall cleaning.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9322290

Yes, it's up and very pretty - thank you!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9322299

My soil is so salty we don't have slugs here. Only good thing about this soil. LOL
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9322307

You know those lovely conical-shaped shells one finds on salt water beaches? Well, I have them in my plants - they are as big as a - oh, gosh - how can I politely say this - hmmmm, I don't think I can, so just imagine, if you will. They will devour all the leaves on a good-sized plant in a VERY short time span - I can't bring myself to kill them - they are so beautiful, so I just carry them to the vacant woods across the street and wish them well.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 1, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9322360

KayJones, you really should kill those snails. They are invasives, and a menace to native species not to mention to crops and gardens. See http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/09/05/slimy-meningitis-carrying-snails-still-infesting-coral-gables-2/

That's a great tip on putting the snail pellets in a cup. I'll try that, thanks!

We're on the plane to see our new granddaughter tomorrow! I'll try to check in while I'm away, but will be busy. Ciao everyone!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9322531

A new grandaughter?! Congratulations to all of you!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9322541

Yikes, those are huge. We have some snails but ours are not so big and fat and they only eat decaying matter like mulch.

Have a safe trip and enjoy that sweet baby.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2012 6:29 AM
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9322544

Alice, we have Banana Slugs - some are 6" or longer and as big around as a man's middle finger - HIDEOUS!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9322623

Ewwwww, you just keep them down there please.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9322752

Oh, but Alice - they are SO PRETTY! I still cut them in half with a scissor when I find them!!!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 2, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9322851

Oh gross!! Kay do they really get that big? When we went out west, we saw one ( I guess) it was yellowish, it was probably about 4 in. long. Biggest thing I ever seen. Ewww!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9322894

Some get that big, but most of the time, I go out with a flashlight and find them before they can grow that large - they especially like my Brugs.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 2, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9322967

Gosh, they probably can eat the stem and all. Do you live in town or outside the limits?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9323007

I live in the city limits.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9323252

I have seen those ugly banana slugs.. hideous looking creatures.. Joanna likes to find big ones under the bricks , stones and pots to feed to the turtles.. ours are the ugly gray ones that love to eat everything.. biggest we have seen so far is about three inches. we used to have a snail problem, but after spreading sluggo around constantly all summer , I havn't seen many of those..

the grubs we dig up from the compost pile are about three inches big, turtles love those things. She has neon stickers on their shells, and lets them roam around the yard while she is digging LOL... Now she is digging for worms every day, fun to see her dangle one over the goldfish and watch them jump for them LOL

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9323383

Your plants look wonderful, Deb!
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9323407

I received this email from our Dear Friend Deb (joeswife) - can we all do this, please?

I know you are all very busy and I am hoping you would take a few minutes to send a card of well wishes or thoughts to my sister Sherry, who has been dealing with Breast Cancer for almost a year and a half now. She is still doing chemo, and it has turned into stage 4 , spreaded thru out her lungs, stomach, bones and lymph nodes. She is a fighter, but as a lone woman and single mother, she has her down moments more than her up moments.
I have never requested a card shower before, so hoping this turns out well.

My card is going in the mail this morning!

Her information:

SHERRY
PO BOX 274
ROGERS, AR
72757-0274
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 3, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9323436

What about her last name??
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9323462

That isn't needed - just her first name and address will get it to her - thanks for sending her a card!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 3, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9323472

Here's a little friend I found yesterday. He was so cold, he couldn't move. I put him in the sun to warm up. Someone had posted one similiar, I think...what is he?
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 3, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9323475

Well, duh! Forgot the picture

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9323521

Paula,
That's a Zebra Longwing. They are Florida's state butterfly. They are also endangered. This year tho I had more of them here than ever before. They lay their eggs on Passionflower's. The caterpillars are really cute...little "zebra" looking cat's. I plant several native passi's just for them, they prefer the native's over the hybirds. But will use a hybrid passi if there is nothing else available.

Hoya australis and Hoya linearis plant and close up of bloom

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies      

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9323584

I had posted the earlier one and we had not seen any in many years. It is strange, since they weren't around I had started yanking all the passi's out, I have a hard time keeping up with them. Now that the passis's are (almost) gone the butterflies show up. Go figure.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9323606

Alice, you pulled out your Passifloras?!!! What were they?

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9323661

morning.. hope you are all enjoying your beautiful Saturday.. I made a big pot of homeade vege beef soup and I am going to eqat the whole thing I think.
Love the butterfly, never saw them until I came here to the tropical forum.. you are all such wonderful friends..
A special friend sent me a beautiful painting, love it. Can't begin to tell you how much it means to me when one of ya all send me something.

banana tree is eating it's leaves? right? that is how it feeds it's pups? should I have separated the babies from momma? When Joe goes down there and sees his banana baby with yellowing leaves he is going to freak out.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9323680

Deb, just cut those yellow leaves off - they don't serve a purpose.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 3, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9323690

Here's a few things blooming in my garden:

Cuphea - look at all the butterflies

2 - gerbera daisy

3- angelonia

4 - texas sage

5 - lantana

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 3, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9323693

and a few more:

1 - morning glory tree

2 - varigated turks cap

3 - this orchid has been blooming for at least a month...still going strong

4 - bantels sensation - sansaveria

5 - Hoya shooting star about to bloom

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 3, 2012

Post #9323700

Pests. :-)

Sorry, but I do not pass on invasive plants and these were real thugs. I had a Lavender Lady that I'll never be rid of and a coccinia that had not bloomed in years. After going to a butterfly presentation, I learned some of the red ones are not good for the butterflies.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9323774

I'll trade you for some Lavender Lady - mine died for some unknown reason.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 7, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9326711

I bought these beauties this past weekend. I wanted more, but at $15 a piece, had to stick with the 4. Two of which are the Butterfly (papillio). The other two are Red Pearl and Luna. As you can see the bulbs are huge and each one has at least one baby.

Can't wait to see them bloom...the red pearl, in the pic, looks almost black...we'll see.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 7, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9326714

Well forgot the pic again...

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066         

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9326735

Please do share pics - especially interested in the butterfly Amaryllis! Where did you find them?!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 7, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9326814

Hi Kay,
They were at the Ace Hdw on St. Simons Island. They have really nice plants, but nice prices also!
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 7, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9327228

I thought I would start a new thread...everyone seems to be away. Come on over and say HI!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287147/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287147/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America