Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Tropical Garden #126

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

Please enjoy the wonderful world of tropical flowers, gardens and foliage plants. No purchase necessary.

We came from here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278419/

Musa AeAe Flag Leaf.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2012 6:35 AM

Thumbnail by homer1958
(Zone 9a)

Oh WOW, congratulations on that flag. Most of us can't even get them to live much less fruit.

Red stemmed cotton bolls are opening.

Odd colors on this little hummer, do you think it is just a youngster?

Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Woo hoo, Drew! Little stripey bananas coming soon. Let's hope the weather stays warm for you.

What did you buy at the Aroids Convention?

Alice, your little hummer might be a Black-chinned hummingbird. Although several species seem to have that irridescent green color on their backs. Here's a link to some of the species in Florida with good pictures http://floridahummingbirds.net/10201.html

This message was edited Sep 25, 2012 10:40 AM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
(Zone 9a)

Thanks Elaine, they are good pictures. After looking at them I think this one was a young female ruby throated, I can see a tad of white at the throat that is just like that in your pics. I have seen the Black-chinned ones here also.

Blackshear, GA

Weldome back Drew!

Thanks Alice, Got an A. sarian, a P. 'Pink Princess'... a Musa Tani that looks like an AeAe... a hybrid A. Borneo Giant x A. Red Portora (think LariAnn called it "Borneo Tsunami Waves"), and an A. Green Portora that is more stout and taller growing than the A. Red Portora I have been showing you guys in the 65 gallon pot Elaine.

I do not mean to be rude by not posting Paula. I will make an effort to post more often.

Butia capitata flowering.

Thumbnail by homer1958
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Elaine, please dmail your mailing address to me A.S.A.P. - I have your box ready to mail, but no address shows in the DG address book!!!!

I'm freaking out here - can someone Dmail me Elaine's mailing address? If I don't get the address in an hour or so, I'm going to have to take the plants out of the box. Thanks to whomever can help!

Blackshear, GA

Drew,
I didn't mean anything....I knew you had been gone and I was just saying 'we missed you". Sounds like you got quite a haul...post pictures when you can. Your AeAe is beautiful! Are you putting it in the house again this winter?

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I remember that 65gal. pot, Drew - the one you bought the bulldozer to move, right?

And this Portora is going to be bigger than the red one?? Kiddo, you need help - literally!

Did you get to meet the real, live LariAnn?

Paula, sorry I took it that way. I don't know about the AeAe... I will make that call when I cross that bridge! Really tried to get more, but the plants went so fast by Sunday there was not much left!

Elaine, just may need that bulldozer as my hand truck wheels can hardly take that wet 65 gallon pot with soil and plant. I did meet LariAnn and was able to take a tour of the property and all of the plants... It was awesome to say the least. I was like a pig-n-slop!

It has been really cool the past few days. Lows in the Mid 40's. Most of the potted plants are in the garage with the 400 w. H.P.S. I will post some pictures in the next couple of days. Thank you all for your wonderful pictures!

Thumbnail by homer1958
Blackshear, GA

Very nice! Take that thing to the beach and sit under the sahade of it or have someone fan you with a leaf off of it! LOL

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Elaine - I think you might be right on your id of my volunteer plant. This came up right under my Royal Poincianna. . .I love the deep purple color of your ground orchids! Those are the deepest purple of the ones I've seen.

Drew - your plants are amazing! I'll be your yard looks like a tropical island escape with all of those big leaves.

Alice - your cotton is so cool. How did you get that hummer to sit still long enough to take that picture? LOL

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, Carol we suspect that Drew supports his giant plant habit by renting out his yard as a set for the Jurassic Park movies.

Seriously, Drew, you might want to hire somebody with a Bobcat c/w forks to move those giants of yours! I let my big pots dry out as much as I dare before trying to move them.

That Red Portora is just magnifique! Dumb question, but . .. why do they call it red? Besides bigger (hoo boy!!) and stouter, does the green one look different?

Thank you Carol!

Paula this picture was taken about a month ago It has had another nice size leaf added since!

I'll get a closeup of the red portora and show you what it looks like Elaine. The Green Portora looks the same, however, the coloring in the petioles and where they attach to the trunk are light green like most other Big Alocasias. Borneo Giant, Odora, Calidora and Macrorrhizos are all light green.

Wait to you see what a squirrel did to one of my Philo. Maximas' leaves! AAAARRRGGGHHH!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Quote from floridabunnie :
Elaine - I think you might be right on your id of my volunteer plant. This came up right under my Royal Poincianna. . .I love the deep purple color of your ground orchids! Those are the deepest purple of the ones I've seen.

Drew - your plants are amazing! I'll be your yard looks like a tropical island escape with all of those big leaves.

Alice - your cotton is so cool. How did you get that hummer to sit still long enough to take that picture? LOL

I agree with what she said...

thought I would show a few pics from our visit to Bonnies on way home from AR, she is the one who hooked me on Brugs.. ( Home for lunch)
rootbeer plant I gave to her ( I thought I killed it .. duh! )
it blooms.. now I want it back LOL
iochroma i gave her a piece of... now it is a tree ( I want it back LOL ) not really..
blue butterfly unguandence or however it is spelled, is making seeds and is the size of a large bush..
didn't get a pic of it.. but all her brugs are so tall I can stand under them..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

her plant store is doing well, she sells prennieals.. but her tropicals all go inside to her walk in basement every fall..she has a trailer, tractor and lots of man help...
the things in the light house group came from some of my stuff.
last pic is the blue unguandense ( blue butterfly bush) I swear it was just a stick when I gave it to her!
back to work.. love ya all and Carol, your box will be put together this coming Monday... I can't do anything this week until I get sister squared away..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Can we get the web address for Bonnie's store?

(Zone 9a)

Drew,one of the gals on the Carolina forum swears Lowe's generic top soil repels squirrels in her containers. She top dresses everything with this stuff and supposedly the tree rats stay away . I can't imagine what could possibly be in this stuff but at $1.39 a bag, (I think the brand is Evergreen,) you might want to spread some around and see what happens.

I hear you Alice.... I think this damage was more to do with the T.R's jumping from tree to tree and deciding that the "Totem" was a great place to jump to and scramble round-n-round;... just happened to be a new leaf right there....!!!

The damage occurred when the leaf was just starting to unfurl. After that damage I hoped that the midrib would be able to hold the weight of the rest of the leaf (until the leaf matured) wear it was torn up. As you can see, it did!

Thumbnail by homer1958
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Rita, Hope you had a great B-Day and many more to come. Dust ?, Debris ? it's Just a "Thing" and will pass.

Drew, Your squirrels and my Rabbits that ate all the buds off my ground orchids must be having a great laugh at our expense, I want to go out and sit with a "22" and have target practice.

Deb, as usual you outdo your self.

Hopefully I'll have pics to share soon, just been busy busy..good and bad as I wish to spend more time playing with plants and less time working....one day...I guess.

aww drew i am sorry.... didn't see your earlier post as I was in a hurry... I just know all your giants will impress us all, thru stormms or tree rats..

( I use rose bush and barberry cuttings everywhere)

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a great idea, Deb. My roses need a little pruning too. Maybe the cuttings will keep the TR's off the bird feeder.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Debra - love your pics. I always learn about these amazing plants from you guys and your pictures!

Drew - Is that a philo next to a post with burlap? I assume you have it covered with burlap so it can climb the post? I was thinking about doing this same thing as the only tree I have left to grow anything on is my Royal Poincianna.

Rita - Happy belated b-day! Sounds like you had a good one. Only people like us would ask for a wheelbarrow or garden supplies as a gift! LOL

(Zone 9a)

Rita, forgive me for sending such belated BD wishes, I know you had a good day with that new wheelbarrow. :-) Hopefully the noise and dust on your street will abate soon.

Elaine, Surely you have a Wild Birds Unlimited in Sarasota, they are everywhere, They sell a baffle that works to keep the squirrels out of the feeders. I don't know why it works, it looks just like every other baffle but since we installed their system - at least 8 or more years ago - we have never had another squirrel or raccoon on the feeders. They are all around eating the seed on the ground but no more feeder invasions.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Unfortunately, the squirrels jump to the birdfeeders, because of where I have them standing. I want to be able to see the birds from the window that is right by my computer where I work all day, so the feeders are both too close to the house, and too close to a little bamboo pergola that DH built for my passionvine. Did it to myself, right?

I do keep them from climbing up the poles just by applying grease with an old toothbrush occasionally. I was thinking a garland of prickly rose canes festooned on the top of the feeders would slow down the aerial attack. I also have a toy pellet gun that I scare them off with - bio-degradable pellets, and it shoots so slowly that when I actually hit a squirrel, they turn around and look at me going "Is that all you got??".

(Zone 9a)

LOL, I forgot the feeder were so close to the trees. That's funny about the pellet gun, we bought a real one once to discourage raccoons and, just like your squirrels, they would look at us and shrug. Grrrrr

Carol, That is my Philo. maximum on the Burlap pole. It is getting quite large.

(Zone 9a)

Drew, check out this Kona Coffee after I took your advice and set its feet in the pond, that puny plant really took off.

Elaine, your brom is happy here in SC too.

Sun shining through B. Arabian Sunset, looks like it is on fire in late afternoon.

My mini meadow, this is what happens when you toss mystery seeds out.

Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Alice - very nice Kona Coffee plant. Did you purchase one of those pond forms and sink it into the ground for your pond? I would love to have a pond but have not tackled this project yet. I really like your mini-meadow - I like how they are mixed together like a bouquet.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Some absolutely stunning pictures there, Alice! The whole setting with the Kona Coffee is just wonderful, although I must admit I like your Colo Coffee Cup (or is it Tea Cup?) even better, such pretty shape and nice dark stems. Elegant. The Arabian Sunset is amazing and I love your meadow, too.

Glad the brom is blooming for you. I found a new flower on one of mine today, too. Keep an eye on it, the flowers change from day to day. It's funny, my clump usually blooms all at once, but this fall, I've just had a bloom here, then a bloom there . . . it's been a weird summer.

Passiflora 'Lady Margaret' is another one that usually blooms prolifically but this year, just the odd bloom on the nice, big healthy vine.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Alice, I also love the mystery seed garden. I would love for you to throw some of mine out there..
I feel so accomplished.. I dug up some yellow hardy asters ( native, from my sons yard tonight, brought them in, potted them up, trimmed them down, stuck the trimmings in the ground and now I am hoping they take off. I have them scattered all around the edge of the lawn at the flower beds, kind of into the bermuda line, so Joe can mow them and keep them flat and bloomed. they bloom like a solid yellow blanket and the branches creep after being mowed.
anyway, back to tropicals.. cut down sticto today tonight to bring in for winter. and also the catsclaw vine, now they are in their winter home downstairs.
I never heard of B. arabian sunset.. is it a brom? it is beautiful. the Third pic EE is just breathtaking.
Elaine, none of the passies here have bloomed. they get two more weeks, and then they come in too..( leaving our hardy one out this year, since a volunteer came up.)
my problem is the October Rose hibiscus seedlings that are over a ft tall and not enough time to bloom.
Firespikes and gingers get three more weeks.
I might have to cut a hole in the basement wall to get the banana down there .. LOL

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Alice I like your pond setting too. Is that a glassed in porch there behind it ? All those wonderful windows for plants in the winter time.
What do you do with those big boys in winter ?

Elaine your Lady Margaret will probably start blooming more when the night time temps cool down just a little.

Deb, your so funny...cut a hole in the wall....you need a greenhouse girl !

.cool new leaf on Variegated Monstera from Rita , Salvia leucantha, Salvia koyame ( Japanese Yellow Sage...had pretty heart shaped leafs and makes a low clump), Bog sage and Cypress vine growing on the pasture fence under a Palatka Holly, Bog sage is great this year with all the rain we've had.

Thumbnail by mjsponies Thumbnail by mjsponies Thumbnail by mjsponies Thumbnail by mjsponies Thumbnail by mjsponies
(Zone 9a)

Debra, the Arabian Sunset is a begonia. I will be starting lots of cuttings of that one soon. WE need a picture of those yellow asters, they sound lovely.

Bunnie, yes, it is one of those preformed ones like they carry at the big box stores. We have a high water table and I actually built up around the form rather than digging it in.

Martha, the sun room has that 3M film on the windows and while it cuts down on the heat that comes in, it is not great at all for plants, they live but that is about all. All of the EE's stay outside although I will take them out of the pond so they won't have wet feet during the winter.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2012 10:14 AM

Blackshear, GA

Alice,
Put my name on one of the Begonias...its beautiful!

(Zone 9a)

:-)

OK, kiddos - tell me the cheapest place to buy 6-mil. transparent plastic - 10'x50' should cover my Florida room.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Farmtek has it for $1.30/ft at 10ft wide. You'd have to pay shipping, though. Did you try HD, Lowe's and the local hardware store? Do you have a Tractor Supply store up there, anywhere near?

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_greenhouses_accessories-ft1_greenhouse_covering_2-ft1_greenhouse_films_2;pg108654.html

I can buy Visqueen locally, but I want the transparent, crystal clear film.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.