Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: Yellow daylilly? what are these little white ones?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 221
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
thelabaffs
Houston, TX
(Zone 10a)

September 25, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9286348

I got some bulbs growing wild last spring on a rock ledge in about an inch of dirt in east texas / lake livingston last year. They were small dark yellow flowers with bright red centers Only one bloomed this spring and I missed it ( so no picture to share), so I went back last week to see if I could get a couple more. I was surprised to see there were a bunch about to bloom (which surprised me as before they bloomed in spring), so I dug some up. Turns out they were different than the ones I got last spring as these look like miniature white tulips. There are pink stripes on the underside of three petals on most of these. Only a few are solid white on the underside. All have the little yellow centers. stems between 3 and 6 inches tall. Can someone tell me what these are.

I also have these little yellow bulbs I bought. I was told these were hurricane lillies, but they aren't. Would have been able to tell if had been blooming when I bought them. A friend said she thought they were daylillies. Can someone confirm? The yellow and red bulbs I mentioned at the beginning looked kind of like these but with red centers so if you know what they might be let me know so I can look them up.

All of these are bulbs and have flower seed pods when the flowers are done. Thanks to the community!

Thumbnail by thelabaffs   Thumbnail by thelabaffs   Thumbnail by thelabaffs
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9286356

The yellow one is a daylily and the last one reminds me of naked ladies or magic lilies as they are also called due to not having any leaves. But I'm not 100% sure on that.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9286379

The white flowers are probably the white form of Habranthus tubispathus (common in TX).
The yellow flower is Sternbergia lutea.
victorengel
Austin, TX

September 26, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9286699

My first thought is that the white one is a rain lily, Zephyranthes drummondii. They bloom in profusion a couple days after copious rains.
victorengel
Austin, TX

September 26, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9286795

By the way, I think properly, those are three sepals and three petals. The sepals enclose the petals before the flower opens. The pink coloration comes partly from exposure to light of the outer surface, hence only on the eventual lower surface of the sepals.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 26, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9287262

I don't know what they are, but I don't believe those are Zephyranthes. I have the white and the pink, and they both are pure colors, and bloom with the foliage.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9287301

I think it's Habranthus tubispathus - note the elongated flowers typical of this species. Also, Zephyranthes drummondii generally flowers in spring (with foliage) while H. tubispathus flowers in early autumn (with little or no foliage).
victorengel
Austin, TX

September 26, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9287415

Z. drummondii has been in full bloom widespread here this month. While it may generally bloom in spring, it is not restricted to spring. We had a long dry spell this summer, followed by several inches of rain this month. It is those rains that triggered the bloom. That's why they're called rain lilies.
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=COPE

Here is a picture I took Sept. 19 of a field of Z. drummondii in my neighborhood.
http://victorspictures.com/img/s4/v68/p1135159120-6.jpg

This is not east Texas. It is Austin, but the same weather system that prompted this flush of bloom also hit east Texas just as hard, so I wouldn't rule out this species based upon blooming time and/or presence of leaves. They will bloom with or without leaves and generally a few days after large amounts of rain.

Occarol, I don't thing Z. drummondii is cultivated much, so I doubt that is what you have. The coloration of pink and white shown in the posted photos is exactly what I see with Z. drummondii growing here. When the flowers finish, they fade to pink, as you can see in my picture.

I think Z. drummondii is more a Central than Easter Texas plant, though, so I'm not insisting that's what the OP plant is, but it can't be ruled out for the reasons given.
victorengel
Austin, TX

September 26, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9287416

P.S. I notice that on wildflower.org they call it Cooperia pedunculata, with Z. drummondii as a synonym.
victorengel
Austin, TX

September 26, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9287418

Rereading the post, a height of 3-6 inches tall seems too short for Z. drummondii. Also, since the plants are potted, weather conditions may not matter that much.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9287452

victorengel - your pics do appear to be Z. drummondii. The reason I think that thelabaffs' plant is not is based on the appearance of the flowers in the 3rd pic. Note the length from the base of the calyx to the base of the flower. Z. drummondii has a much "shorter" flower structure. [Many moons ago, I lived in Austin so I have some memory of how both species behave in their native habitat (however, my time there was long before the extreme drought TX has experienced the past couple of years).]
victorengel
Austin, TX

September 27, 2012
12:52 AM

Post #9287593

Yeah, I agree. And they seem to be smaller overall, too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America