-
AuthorContent
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9286519

Stink bugs rarely seen this summer after their record numbers last summer and fall, are being seen again as they look for winter quarters in our homes this fall.

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1157265/
and here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1158044/

Ruby has mentioned on several threads that in the passed two weeks she has seen many of them gathering on her screened porch. This may be a case of the theory that BMSB (Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs) have moved their concentrations further south in our region from their first invasion in PA. They have now been seen in over 38 states, with attendant crop damage and concern nationwide for effective controls.

Happy has given us an excellent link to a site called Stop the BMSB here
http://www.stopbmsb.org/

Last week I saw my first BMSB on a ripening tomato (my third tomato of this terrible tomato season) and Sat and Sun afternoon I had to breakout and reassemble my wet/dry vac to suck 30 -40 off the southwest side of my house as they landed about 3-4 foot high and began their ascent towards the peak. They began to fly in between 2 and 5 pm. These bugs seemed bigger than those I vac ed last year and I wonder if they are the adults from those that emerged when we had that early spring warm up? And may be there will be a second or third wave of those who emerged later in spring?

And where were they all season? And, do the ones trying to gain entry to our homes as the days shorten and cool go in and out of their shelter to feed? Or are they in for the season? Or have they found better shelter nextdoor or in a dead standing oak tree?

How are the rest of you fairing? Remember that they are attracted to yellow and lights on. Pic is of egg clusters

Thumbnail by coleup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9286687

I found 1 yesterday on my screen door
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9286727

Here is a link to avideo of how to keep them out of our homes from UMD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wp8cd_VQBA&noredirect=1

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9286835

I have had a few (more than I want) on my screens and a few have made it into my house. I made a bug catcher and have caught them, sprayed bug killer in bottom of catcher, that takes care of them. Hate those things but they do amuse the cats.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9287031

If I had posted early today I would have said that we have had very few this fall. This afternoon is making up for the previous dearth of these vermin. I have found that an electric fly swatter (see photo) is effective in dispatching the critters and rather fun besides. Guess it brings out my sadistic side as I find gratification each time I knock one onto it and hear the loud "SNAP!". 2750 volts disrupts biological functions, incinerates appendages and often gives them a "bad wing day" with their wings all frizzed out. Works well for mosquitos too. At the local Walmart garden center they are selling out the last ones for $5.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9287185

flowAjen wrote:I found 1 yesterday on my screen door

---every fifteen minutes!
I could collect several about every time I enter or exit there. I have a death jar on the porch now- Better collect one now than two next year or whatever.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9287188

Good goin greenthumb!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9287472

That would be fun entertainment for the kids too, I'll have to get 1 or 2 of those swatters
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9287498

Yes, David, being in the predator role to an invasive species with no natural enemies to limit explosive growth lends itself to a bit of sadistic high jinx at times. I suppose your swatter could be mounted on a pole to zap those out of reach ones, much like I have attached my vac hose to a 20 foot pole. Hopefully they get zapped before they can emit their stink!

Today must have been a mass movement day in our area, and I agree Sally, with the every 15 mins.

I went to pick up my papers for delivery about 2 pm, parked in the loading area and went inside to get my bundles. When I came back out my vehicle was crawling with about 50 BMSB s and more were landing! Shewed them all away being careful not to smash any on my car so as to not leave a scent trail. By the time I was ready to leave, I had to clear off again, Geez.

But, here's the really telling thing, none of the other carriers or their vehicles were being landed on, just mine! Why? Could be that mine was the only red one there and stink bugs are attracted to red? It sure felt like I was in some sort of stink bug fly way. They do seem to like to hunker down around the doors of cars...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9287505

flowAjen wrote:That would be fun entertainment for the kids too, I'll have to get 1 or 2 of those swatters

Jen, not sure how safe these swatters are for kids to use. David, what warnings or precautions did yours come with?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 27, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9287675

Hmmm... Color conscious. That is interesting they would be attracted to one color. I only saw one yesterday on a window screen. That means there are a bunch more already hiding.

Love the term " sadistic high jinx ". I feel that way when I put insects into spider webs to watch even though spiders creep me out.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9287676

I remember looking over the instructions that came with but I can't recall any warnings. The outer grids are small enough that one cannot easily get even a finger tip to contact both the inner and outer grids, so it is difficult to get a shock from it even if you try. Also the amperage is low. The current only flows through the body part connecting between the two grids, so the area affected is minor (to us). The voltage is lower than a routine static "zap" experienced in dry winter months.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 28, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9288571

I have a swatter like that, works pretty well for dispatching houseflies, but I was afraid to try it on stink bugs, figuring they'd get in one last blast of that vile odor (not unlike the awful stench that results when one bumbles into the halogen lamp and catches on fire).

My WalMart swatter seems pretty safe (I touched it with my finger out of morbid curiosity and felt nothing, YMMV), but I saw one last night at Kohls that just had closely-spaced parallel wires running across the "racket", and it had all sorts of warnings about delivering a pretty nasty shock when touched. It also had a more complex 2 button safety mechanism for putting it into aciton.

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9291511

I found 1 tonight on. my. bed! The cats better get their acts back together or they're fired. On a more serious note I've only seen 3 so far. They all took a water ride to the grave.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 8, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9299465

Oh gosh...one of my favorite topics being discussed again. NOT!!! I have been battling the suckers all week long. I have a feeling that they will win, but the battle is a bit rewarding as David says. Over the past two years, I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on a spray which will kill them, but I decided a week or so ago that I have spent my last penny on killing stink bugs. I have resorted to my hands or a butterfly net and a bottle of soapy water. I now have a least a gallon jug full of them. Even yesterday when we had some really low temperatures, and I didn't figure I would find any outdoors, I still found about forty or of them mostly dead ones.

Two years ago I hired my cleaning lady to come in for two extra days to help rid the inside of our house of them. Those things were behind picture frames and can hide in the strangest places. Thankfully, they haven't been coming inside as much this year as in years past, but I am still finding them regularly. The windows to the bedrooms need to be emptied a few times a day of any where between two and six or more of them. I had been flushing the ones found indoors, until seeing the video from a link above. I suppose I will now have to capture them in a tissue or napkin and take outdoors to one of the soapy water bottles for their demise.

Anyway...let's hope they will soon be but a memory and not an active pest for us.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9299898

The warm days last week gave us some waves of them around the back door and windows. I trapped a few dozen in a jar but didn' t have time to do it any more often.

Ruby they sure have gone after your area! Sorry you have to contend with that!

We usually find one in the house every day. Thinking about naming them like they do hurricanes to see how far we get.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9300000

I kept my almost 3 year old grandson Saturday night . I was talking on the phone to my sister while Noah was getting ready for bed. All of a sudden he yelled "Grammy there's a stink bug on MY bed!" My sister thought it was funny that he knew what a stink bug was. I got it up with a piece of paper and flushed it. WRONG! Then he didn't want to use the toilet. Luckily he got over that.
Picture is him and his Mom.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9300018

Oh how cute!
Hey tell Sis the little tykes can learn a whole lot of bug names, flowers, and lots more, if they just get shown by their awesome grandma!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 9, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9300531

He is a doll Robin. So funny that he didn't want to use the potty after flushing the bug down. I can see his point though because I often wonder if there is one hiding under the rim of the pot that will come up and bite me on the hiney when I sit down. I understand where he is coming from. I think most folks on the east coast, mid atlantic wise anyway...despite their ages know of this critter by now. Thanks for sharing this cute story with us.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9300918

Ruby---Stink bugs do not bite people.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9300921

Stink bugs do not bite people.
Maybe they WOULD if tempted by a nice enough target !!! I see why Ruby is worried LOL
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9300947

Heehee. Very nice target.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9301153

lol, No comment on the appeal of certain targets!

Ever play the game of "Cootie"? Well, one of the Cootie parts is the 'probiscis' and that is what a stink bug has and uses to pierce the skin of tomatoes, apples, corn and soy beans, etc. If a sb can pierce those skins, then they could pierce people skin, too,

So, when I say I have been 'bitten' by a stink bug you all will know thwhat I mean. Also, to those who are sensitive, a shot of of their odiferous warning can really sting and irritate the skin. Just the smell irritates me as in allergic like reaction to same.

I told some one the other day that I thought they smelled like rotten cilantro and they told me that liking or disliking cilantro was genetic!

Someone has even written a song about stink bugs
http://www.stinkbugwars.com/2011/06/14/stinkbug-song-hit/
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9301324

I don't think they deserve to be memorialized in song.

It's certainly not as bad here as it's been in the past, and we rarely saw them over the summer, but there were enough to mess up our apples. Ptooey!

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9301380

Ruby, et al, Just found this on the site "stinkbugwars" about the scent trail they leave so that others will follow and find winter quarters in our homes.

I thought these scent trails were essentially 'invisible' to us, but check out the two pics that show brown drops! http://www.stinkbugwars.com/2011/06/03/stinkbug-trail-of-destruction/

So now we have visual clues as to those areas that draw stink bugs. It is important to clean and remove as much of these scent trails as possible. I'm going to wash down my back screen door and frame and kitchen window and frame as these are major gathering spots on my house. Am also going to go over all of the doors and moldings of my vehicles with Murphys' Oil .

Soapy water isn't just for drowning them any more!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9301382

Critterologist and Aspenhill,
You may find this article on where beside our homes and man made structures stink bugs overwinter. In natural or woodsy areas, they take shelter in dead standing trees!

http://www.stopbmsb.org/stink-bug-bulletin/researchers-discover-the-brown-marmorated-stink-bug-winter-hideout/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9302045

Hm. Mark bought some pretty obnoxious "natural" pet safe bug spray last year. Its a strong peppermint smell. I might shoot some around my door and hope it covers the scent trail.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 11, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9302305

I know that my nose is so sensitive to these terrors that I can smell one if they are in the room. After waging daily battle with these things I can't wait to hit a hot shower and wash the stink off. Thankfully the cooler temperatures have cut back on the number that I encounter during the days, but I am like the author of stink bug articles and believe the only good stink bug is a flat one.

I do know that I have spent way up in the hundreds of dollars trying to eradicate them and have made up my mind to no longer spend another cent. My fingers and the soapy water are doing just as well as the sprays have done. How interesting about the smell trail. Just yesterday I saw some streaks of something dripping down the wall behind a mirror and couldn't figure where it came from. I believe Judy had my answer for me today. Yuck!!!

Anyway...it does give me some solace to know that I am not in this battle alone, but that there are others with the same issue also. Can't wait for the day when they are no longer a topic of conversation.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9303042

We have a newer sliding door in our dining and they try to get in there but the weather stripping is still really tight so they can't get in (hee hee) they squeeze themselves in this crack at the top of the screen but can't get in all the way, so now there are a bunch of dead stink bugs blocking the way for any live ones trying to get in, LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 13, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9303863

Those suckers show up in the strangest places for sure. Thankfully the cooler temps are keeping them hidden away. Still finding a hand full from time to time, but at least not the hundreds that seem to be around on really warm days. Happy killing all.

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9304834

'Tink bug! was one of Joyanna's first hundred words. She could spot one from way across the room and loved to point them out to her daddy.

When you bring potted plants inside, be sure to rummage around in the top inch of potting mix... I think I brought a lot of stink bugs into the house with my plants last fall.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9309804

tink bug, love it

Not a bad idea to rummage in all potted plant top soil.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 21, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9311220

I can identify with Jill's story. My two grand children are very familiar with stinks bugs if nothing else. I used to scream and run when seeing them. Years later now, I am at the point that I can handle them and make sure they are dead in one way or another. For a couple of weeks now, bug hunting has been a daily routine here. My grand son has become quite adept at spying them too and it is a game for him to spot them and bring them to me to put in my bottle of sudsy water.

Jill, I did check the top parts of all of my plants, and found quite a few to dispose of before bringing indoors, but didn't think to actually dig under the top layer of dirt. Hmmm...very interesting and I might have to now incorporate that practice in the future. I do know that the one dollar butterfly net that I have a few of have come in really handy in my daily battle. I am able to reach up with it and am usually able to knock the offender in to the net and then put in bottle of sudsy water. I have a whole arsenal of bug destroying weapons on each porch or deck.

As Sally stated when here on Monday, finding them and destroying them becomes really addictive. I am going to probably miss doing it when they are all safely tucked in to my attic for the winter...yuck!!! I am sure there will be strays who come out in to the day light from time to time though, so there won't be too much time to miss them.

I did hear a tidbit that I cannot vouch for in validity, but I was told that Purell hand sanitizer will take the stink out of a person's hand. Can't say yea or nay to that or whether other sanitizers work, but was told about Purell being able to do a really nice job in getting rid of the odor they leave on your hands if you are so inclined as to actually put your hands on them.

Happy hunting all.

Ruby

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9311315

Keep a cut lemon in the fridge, and when you get that smell on your hands, rub the lemon. The citric acid reacts with the smell-causing amine (an organic base) and instantly neutralizes it. Rinse your hand and its done.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9312069

Ruby and David thanks for the tips on removing the stink from our hands/ Any suggestions for removing stink from clothes?

Lol seems there is money to be made by clever ways that work to deal with stink bugs that are now reported in 48 states plus Canada.

Here is one of the latest products available called the Bugzooka
http://www.bugzooka.com/about.html
http://www.bugzooka.com/video.html

Looks like a fun way to get those invaders...for kids of all ages and those of us who are vertically challenged (no visiting Sallys on hand) and requires no batteries!

Thumbnail by coleup

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 22, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9312084

Thanks David and Cole. Both very interesting tidbits.

Ruby
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9312410

I thought that was a cool idea -- it is entirely mechanical! But they are charging $29 for that, including shipping! Plus $4 for a wall mount. That raised my eyebrows! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bug-Catcher-Vacuum-BugZooka-Humane-Bug-Catcher-/281002644852?pt=US_Vacuum&hash=item416d101574

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9312497

Hmmmm...brain working...brrrrrrrruuummmm...click!----chrn!-----caping!

What if you adapted a toilet plunger to do the same? The kind that has the "accordion" end. Not the push and plunge...
Just a bit of ingenuity needed to attach a collecting tube.

Or--How about a baster? For close-up bugs. Squeeze the bulb--and suck up the bug...
May need a longer tube for the sucking...tubing of all diameters can be had by the foot...

OK! OK! i am going away--enough silly stuff---on to the next "watched" thread...;o{
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9312526

It's an ingenious device, elegant in its simplicity. Yes, it works on the same principle as an accordion plunger or baster, but I think by the time I spent a weekend trying to adapt something to work like that, I'd be wishing I'd invested the $30! Keep your eye out, though, sometimes the "as seen on TV" stuff appears on regular store shelves a few months later (think: Christmas gifts) at significantly reduced prices.

I got my dad one of those bug zappers that looks like a badminton racket... it makes a very satisfying crack! and sizzle when it connects with an especially annoying fly. He asked me yesterday if I thought it would work well on stinkbugs. I told him it would kill them, sure, but he might want to think twice... occasionally a stinkbug finds its way into the halogen lamp, and let me tell you the smell of *burnt* stinkbug is really awful! He said he thought he'd save his zapper for flies and yellow jackets.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9312629

Aw, Jill----I was just being silly...need to do that now and then...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9312730

Friend of ours ate one by accident, he said it was VERY Spicy
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 23, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9312912

Jen, having one show up in my food has been my biggest fear of dealing with these stinkers. I have found way too many in close vicinity of my kitchen stove, so I am hyper vigilant about checking my food before it goes in to my mouth. I have read of others who have had the opportunity to taste them too and gag at the thought of it. Last week we had a bird give quite an interesting show as he attacked and ate stink bugs from the gutters running along the house. Birds must love them.

The past few days we seem to have an invasion of lady bugs visiting our place. I co-exist much better with lady bugs than I do stink bugs. I am now finding a lot more lady bugs than stink bugs, and that suits me just fine.

Happy hunting all.

Ruby

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9312917

He was reading and not paying attention it landed on a celery stick
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 23, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9312961

YIKES~!!!!! Poor guy!!! No envy from me at all!!!

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9313360

flowAjen wrote:He was reading and not paying attention it landed on a celery stick

Now officially my SECOND worst fear at picnics, after the one where a wasp goes in a soda (beer) can...
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9313853

I definitely vote "neither" as wasp/bee sting in roof of mouth very bad and wasp can sting repeatedly(ask me how I know).

In many parts of the world bugs and insects are used as food and a source for protein. Came across this article on how stink bugs are collected and prepared (stink removed) for consumption. I'm not promoting eating SB s, but this article opened my eyes to how a population of people has learned to use resources around them to their benefit and has learned much as we are trying to do now, the places and life cycle changes and anatomy of these bugs and live in some sort of give and take balance with them or as Ruby says,'coexist' ...
http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2003/october/stinkbug.htm

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9313996

oh yeah yellow jackets on soda cans...YIKES
Glad I don't drink soda anymore!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2012

Post #9313997

How about this guy... You are not supposed to be in the house!!!

Thumbnail by flowAjen

rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 24, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9314003

Good golly Molly...now I have heard everything!!! Please remind me to not accept any dinner invitations from any African neighbors. Don't want to chance trying these bugs.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to count the bugs I captured. After about one hour and 97 bugs later I quit for the day. Let me remind you that this is definitely not one of the more populated days here. If I caught 97 and the screens on the porch were basically clear, it means that some of the days I must have had in the neighborhood of five hundred plus on those days. That was the days when I was still spraying my eleven dollar a can killer. I have since decided that I will not be wasting my money on the spray and will suck it up and have orange tinted finger tips. I usually don latex gloves and use a napkin, tissue or paper towel to handle these things which promptly go in to the sudsy water bottle.

Am off to start my first trip of the day bug hunting. I find myself at times when trying to capture the ones that are higher than my head, standing there with mouth agape and then shudder and close it quickly in fear of one of them falling in to my mouth. A trip to a mental ward will be due if that happens. Along those lines...an interesting story that I can only believe would send me to a psych ward is the treatment my former neighbor had when she had some breast surgery done some years back. She wasn't healing as quickly as the doctors wanted, and the treatment was at several intervals a day during her hospital stay to have leeches attached to the breast in order for them to suckle and create new blood vessels. How she sleeps at night after that I experience, I will never know. She is a better man than me.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 24, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9314009

Cross posted with Jen. Jen, I have been finding a fair amount of spiders that seem to be about the same size as your picture shows. Thankfully, not indoors though. Yikes...I don't like spiders and snakes...

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9314025

Ruby--

Have you thought of walking around with one of those little Car vacs in hand?
At least near your house where an electric cord would reach. Or--are there any of these that run on batteries?
Suck them up--empty them in a zip-loc bag and put it in your freezer. Done!

Leaches are an ancient form of treatment. I believe they were mostly used to reduce swelling around
wounds. I will stand corrected here. Should Google it...

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9314045

Ruby, that is definitely more than I have encountered so far.

In another article called "Ask the Exterminator" on control of stink bugs around the home, the comments after the article are full of reports from homeowners who are inundated with these and their coping methods from vacuuming to heavy duty sprays which kill everything in sight to Bugzooka, to homemade deterrent sprays made with vicks vapor rub!
http://www.asktheexterminator.com/Household_Pests/How_to_Get_Rid_of_Stink_Bugs.shtml

Thank goodness your porch is screened. Cool night followed by warm sunny day seems to bring them out looking for winter shelter. I applaud you for your vigilence. Glad to share the earth with others who make their ocd/perfectionism work for them and keep doing their stink bug yoga with their mouths closed!

My small wet/dry vac is at the ready to suck up all I see and I can reach further than a hand held. Plus, because I have an inch of soapy water in the canister, they are sucked up and killed at same time!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9314666

Ruby -- I am just stunned by how many you are seeing. You must be aghast. How awful!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 25, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9314881

As for the hand held vacuums that I own...two very expensive Dysons that are used to suck dog hair off of furniture, I wouldn't dare. I have mistakenly sucked up a couple in the past and the odor is horrible. For several weeks John's shop vac sat on the porch waiting for me to use, which I never did. I have become so proficient at getting these bugs in a bottle that the vacuum was never needed and has since returned to his garage where John and my grandson play vacuum up the stink bugs daily. The garage is off limits to me because he knows I will throw a fit due to his lack of organizational skills and pure apathy about his surroundings. He even had the decency to put up a tall fence so I wouldn't have to look at the outside of it either. Out of sight, out mind. Thankfully.

Devon, yesterdays count on the bugs were 156. Amazing, and I expect more today when the temperatures are supposed to be in the low eighties.

Judy, love the articles you supply here. All very interesting. They don't suggest sucking them up either due to the reason I stated above. One of the really amazing things about these critters are that my son who lives about 20 miles away has had very little problem with them. In the past few years they have probably seen less than twenty of them total at their place. I just say that they are indeed lucky on that account.

In years past, apples and peaches were the main stay of Crozet and we still have quite a few of each orchards on all sides. I grew up spending hours upon end at a small peach orchard that my dad owned. Today that small tract still has a very few trees but two homes on the acreage now and yet another building lot for sale. That may be one of the reasons that the bugs are so highly populated in these parts.

Since the weekend, the number of Lady Bugs arriving are giving the stink bugs a real run for their money. It has been quite a few years since we have seen so many of the Lady Bugs. I try to allow them to live but many are getting squashed under foot I am afraid. Anyway...off to bug hunt in a bit. You folks count your lucky stars that you don't live here.

Yesterdays catch of the offenders was 156. Yeegads!!!!!!!!!

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9314951

Ruby---

You must be the only one that actually counts how many bugs you caught each day...:o)

That must take quite a while---
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2012

Post #9314983

lol Gita

I count mine, too! What takes me so much time is when I lose count and have to start over!

The worst is when I wonder who? left the little shop vac sitting out on the steps again!

For the orchards and fruit trees of Cruzet it's 157 x 20 to 30 eggs that won't be laid and turn into fruit destroying adults next year! Good for Ruby and good for farmers and orchardists.

Hopefully major storm Sandy with high winds and heavy rains will wipe out any remaining stinkers that haven't already found shelter.

Have started a hurricane watch thread here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285729/

Thumbnail by coleup

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9315723

Ruby, don't spare those lady bugs. The ones that seek shelter in large numbers in our homes aren't the "real" lady bugs that we like in our gardens... they are "fake" foreign lady bugs, and they can be a real problem inside. Actually, I think they are Asian lady beetles... and while they do eat aphids, they don't seem to eat the ones that cause problems in our gardens & orchards. I'm pretty sure you can vacuum them up with no repercussions. You can stick a nylon stocking inside the vac. tube if you want to bag/trap them.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9315757

"She is a better man than me. " I love that comment!

Yes leeches were used and still are (rarely?) One thing they do is suck out extra 'leaked' blood so it doesn't collect where it isn't supposed to 'be' and cause problems.

Re eating SBs- author Gary Paulsen wrote ,and others surely have thought too- "What you are willing to eat is usually determined by how hungry you are." or words to that effect.

Last year or the year before- someone around DG linked to a guy who had made a trap from a large soda bottle, a small light (lawn ornament LED?) and used it in his attic.

I think I read about orchards testing traps made with bright yellow plastic. THis would have been a great topic for me to look into two weeks ago and write about.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9315815

Sally,
I believe the yellow traps set up in orchards and fields are traps mainly used to measure infestation levels. This year Maryland and several other states were granted special permission for commercial growers and orchardists to use several chemical insecticides on a carefully timed and rotational basis to decrease the stink bug damage and financial loss from same. I expect that summaries of effectiveness and crop loss damage to be available in several weeks as apple harvest winds up.

Also. funding for continuing stinkbug research is held up in yet to be passed Farm Bill.

I think I should write some Dave's articles!! Does it pay well? lol Love the Paulsen quote. My daughter thinks I would be a great "Survivor" contestant!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9315822

coleup- look for dmail
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9315915

Thanks for the reminder on Dmail...seems I rarely check for anything new in my inbox! My bad.

And, yes, I am looking forward to our visit at your house with Jill et al on Friday Nov 2. May have delivered my 3 Millionth newspaper by then!

But who's counting?!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9315936

Judy--

Is there anything you, or anyone else, want from me? I will be going to Sally's as well.

I should cut back all my Brugs--but the Dr. S. is just too big to hurry with that.
If she blows into pieces--it will save me some time...:o)
Might do the pink NOID. There is nothing but bare branches on this one...

Which direction will the winds be coming from? The East????

Gita
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9316080

Totally think you should write articles, Judy!!!!!

Also totally think you would make a great 'Survivor' contestant.

I can't imagine collecting as many SBs as dear Ruby.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 27, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9316968

Hi folks - had to miss a day of collecting bugs status. I didn't think to count them until just this week and I have been amazed by the number I have collected. John said that some of you may indeed find as many as I do, but that nonr of you are as silly as I am with spending hours a day doing it. Not much goes on during the fall season on the hillside. hahaha Has been fun, though smelly at times.

Thanks Jill for the tip on the Lady Bugs. They really are becoming the bigger nuisance now. They are easier for two year old Isaac to catch than the stink bugs are, so he has been destroying them and feeling really proud of doing so. I will now allow him to capture them to his hearts desire.

The other day when I predicted a larger mass than usual due to the higher temperatures, I was mistaken. On Thursday, my birthday I caught 121 compared to 157 the day before. Much disappointment yesterday when the grand total for the day was only 23. Yep, those boogers sensed the storm that is coming and have taken shelter it seems. Cole, let's hope that the reports we are hearing regarding Sandy are exaggerated and we won't have a repeat of damage we had in July. Oh as for keeping up with the number of bugs collected, I have an index card and the times I made my trip around the grounds and how many were caught...all to be totalled at the end of the day.

Hope that everyone is enjoying the quiet before the storm...

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9317072

I suppose people like Ruby and Coleup have way more Sting Bugs than others--
as you both live in wooded areas. So does Teri. How many have you caught?
Greenthumb--how are you doing in this respect?

I can say that the total I have seen (and disposed of) are about...8.
I am sure there will be a few more...
Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 28, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9317727

Saturday October 27, 2012 count was a total of ten bugs. That is more like it.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9317780

phew!
I sure hope somebody can devise a cheap effective trap that could help you out.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 28, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9317784

I wish there weren't a need to a cheap effective way to get rid of them...nah...I have now grown accustomed to them. Can't say that for the previous two or three years though. I just really grew tired of spending money trying to rid the place of them. I have really done a good job of getting rid of what would have to amount to the thousands in the last month or so. Thanks for the thoughts though Sally.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9317794

You also got rid of ten thousands of their future offspring! That thought keeps me going in my small efforts on these and other garden pests.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 30, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9320198

I suppose you are right Sally. That is a great way to think of it. John has been commenting that I am seeing less because I am getting rid of quite a few of them. I only wish that I had done this sooner, but it has taken me this long to get over my disgust of them and actually touch them. When things start affecting my pocket book, I look for other solutions. These things do not die in freezing temperatures either. A couple of years ago when sorting through items that had been packed in my storage shed, during the months of January and February, I would find live bugs in many of the containers.

Today is day two of no stink bug hunting for me. Too windy and I might blow off the hillside.

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9321604

ROFL, sudden image of Ruby wearing suction-cup boots, determinedly marching toward a group of windblown stinkbugs, jar of soapy water at the ready...

We've got some here this fall, but not in droves as they've been in the past.

Just a reminder -- it's also time to be setting mouse traps; don't let them set up housekeeping for the winter!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9321827

Heehee. Already gotten two of them. Hopefully that's all.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 1, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9321944

Thankfully don't seem to have a mice problem in the house, but I have definitely seen evidence of them using my storage shed as their winter homes in the past. I hate to kill them, but would prefer that over the damage they can sometimes do.

Ruby

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2012
3:45 AM

Post #9322530

I'll join you all in declaring my hatred and war on stink bugs - UGH. Living in the woods, I seem to have them on a large scale. Don't see as many as I did two years ago when I came home from work to kill hundreds every day, now it is about 20 a day - a big improvement, but still... Along with the live ones, I find the dead corpses and/or three little droplets of what is either blood or stink serum in every conceivable place. It is so aggravating. I don't even hesitate now to just pick them up bare handed and flush them down the toilet.

As for mice, about this time every year I'll find evidence of a few in the house. Funny story, well, I think it is funny, I'll leave you to judge for yourself. My cousin Judy and her daughter were visiting from Pittsburgh a few years ago. We were sitting around the table after a very nice breakfast, and cousin Judy got up to put her dirty dishes in the dishwasher. I have to give her credit, she didn't scream or get over emotional in any way, as she calmly shut the dishwasher door and declared that there was a mouse in there. Mike got up, called Ashley (our American Eskimo dog), opened up the dishwasher door, and said "Ashley, get the mouse!". In the blink of an eye, Ashley lunged her head in the dishwasher, caught the mouse, and went trotting over to the kitchen door to be let out with that mouse tail hanging out of the side of her mouth. Like I said, it happened so fast. Cousin Judy and her daughter Lisa had the most amazed, shocked expressions on their faces. I think they were more startled about the dog killing mouse than the fact that there was a mouse in the house in the first place LOL. Hmmmm, they haven't visited since - coincidence??? Now that Ashley has passed on (miss you girl), DCON gets rid of them quick.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 2, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9322637

Cute story Terri. Hope that everyone enjoys today.

Ruby
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9322732

Frankly, I was so happy to get to the end of your story. Half-way through, I anticipated that you would just have turned on the dishwasher!

I had a friend at college who was making her BF a cake for his birthday in the dorm kitchen. A fly landed on the batter. She tried to remove it, but ended up dunking it instead by mistake. So she turned the mixer to high and beat up the evidence. She baked and served that cake with fly bits included. BF was none the wiser.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2012
1:23 AM

Post #9323346

Ewwww - Happy, I think that is a classic case of what we don't know won't hurt us LOL. I just noticed that in my story I said dog killing mouse instead of mouse killing dog - now that would have been an impressive mouse HA HA HA...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9323425

Terri I loved the story!

happy- well, ...I must say...I am probably not the only one who had a college BF who DESERVED a fly cake. ROFL!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 3, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9323528

I am sure that many of us have ingested things we weren't aware of and have lived despite it. I can't dwell too long on stories such as these due to a weak stomach to begin with and then giving much thought to the subject, makes for nausea waves galore.

Ruby
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9323681

Heehee. Love the story

'no, dear, I don't want any. Besides, I made it just for you'. Hahahaha

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9325198

Great mouse story
Ewww on the fly cake
If you knew what goes in restaurants you'd never eat out again

Found some birds that eat stink bugs; Vireos, Wrens, Nuthatches
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 5, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9325345

Yeah Jen, some weeks ago I watched in amazement as some bird roosted on the edge of my back gutter and picked several of the stinks to have as a snack. He very hurriedly ate them then flew away. I hope that when the bugs come back in droves, that the bird will return with all his family and friends.

Ruby
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

November 6, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9326432

You guys would be SO PROUD of me. I believe that FINALLY I have figured out how to get rid of those stinkers. Wait until Fall, let them congregate in your shed (or whatever), knock them off any surface, and STEP ON THEM.
YIKES! Well, they don't stink so much, it seems, at this time of the year, and they are together so it is easy (all too) to gather them together to make your time worthwhile, and those tears of being totally grossed out, well, if this helps my plague situation, then let my tears fall!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9326577

You GO, girl!

How did you encourage them to congregate? Scented candles? Hors d'oeurves?
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

November 7, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9327294

They congregated naturally, so I stomped naturally! Thanks for the Kudos - I really needed them! Should have seen me stompin' and crying...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9327428

I have quite a good imagination...

HAH! Take THAT!! and that! and... EEEWWwwww - hoo - hoooo... crunch! crunch! stomp! crunch!... ick ick ick icky oooh icky! ewwwwww... yeeeEE - HAH!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 8, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9327782

Thanks for the laughs this morning ladies.

Ruby

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9327983

I won't even tell you my way of getting back of the stink bugs due to the fact that it will incriminate me. Use your imagination LOL.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9337318

I saw traps, pheremone lures and light lures (attachment to the trap) at Ace Hardware today. I didn't recall anyone mentioning seeing these.

Thinking of Ruby's problem- well, there were so many around I wonder how well they would be lured to enter the trap. The light idea, I once read worked well in a guy's attic for ones that had entered.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 20, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9337997

Do you kinow that I saw two live ones yesterday, as cold as it was!!! I haven't been collecting for a few weeks now, but still see a few from time to time. I suspect they are all hidden away in the attic and I will find out this coming weekend as I hope to begin bringing down Christmas decor bins and should find a few of them then. I do know for a fact that they do not freeze. They supposedly have some sort of built in anti-freeze that allows them to live through freezing temperatures. Two years ago when de-cluttering and finally getting out to the shed to declutter things, I was finding live ones during January and February.

Sally, it was a real encouragement when you pointed out that my ridding the place of just one bug will eventually pay off in terms of many thousands that reproduce due to the riddance of the one bug. Let's hope a day comes when this topic won't be necessary.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9338269

Since you have the attic situation, you might see if John can cut a large soda bottle and assemble a trap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKc5acECuQk&NR=1
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9339241

We've been fortunate this year, the SB population seems to have decreased a bit here, although you'd have trouble convincing my tomatoes of that. We really only had about 1 week that there were a lot trying to get in. That would have been the week before Columbus Day. I had already washed the house around the windows where we had a problem previously, and I used the spray that Ruby said worked on them. I didn't try and spray them directly but sprayed it around the doors and windows as a deterrent. Since the spray (Bengal Gold Roach) is long acting it seemed to be very effective. I found a fair number dead on the sills and sashes. We are finding very few indoors this year. The other thing I did is pull the window AC units before they became thoroughfares for them. Unfortunately the week they were most active was when I was packing for the OBX, later, they were crawling out of hiding places all the way there and for days afterward. I'm hoping the USDA doesn't ban me from interstate travel. LOL Ric
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

November 21, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9339298

UGH! Today, as I was cleaning the DICKENS outta my kitchen before cooking for Thanksgiving, I, as usual, went overboard and worked myself up to the light above the stovetop, the cover came off all too quickly, and there it was. A stinkbug. Are you grossing out yet? Well, I did enough for ALL. Thought I'd stomped 'em all in the shed...

Oh no! I forgot to tell you this one. Hubby and I went to Gettysburg this past weekend, to watch the Remembrance Day Parade. We'd brought two fabric folding chairs (stored in the shed - BIG HINT), and started unrolling their neat fabric case, and OMG! Those stinkbugs absolutely fell out in waves! YIKES!

Ric - iffn' you develop more eyes on your forehead, you know where they came from...and the USDA will probably say "I told you so!" LOL! Just messin' with you!

Happy Thanksgiving!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 21, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9339337

Ew Gracye!

My son's loft apt / group bachelor pad has been found to have roaches behind the stove. (Big surprise lol NOT) I am trying not to get too skeeved out about it. And wishing he had stinkbugs instead frankly!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 25, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9341944

Yep Ric, the Bengal Gold does work but began costing too much for me to continue with any consistency. Yes, many mornings I would step out the back door and find loads of them dead around the door frame. As for them getting near the kitchen stove, that has happened here too. Gross for sure, but just be ultra careful before cooking any thing. I believe the ones I have seen near the stove are coming in from the air vent over the stove.

Sally, we did do the soda bottle and battery operated flame thing a couple of years ago and caught a very few. Just too much work involved with that system it seemed. We too had a lesser number of them this year even though I reported large numbers caught by hand and killed. It was basically during that warm period that Ric spoke of. Since then, a few here and there, but nothing like the first year they arrived about three years ago when they really did a big number of getting inside and behind picture frames on the walls and every thing. I had a lady come for three days who took every thing off the walls, ridded the place of the bugs we saw and washed the walls down. That neither was cheap and I haven't done it since, but thankfully haven't needed to because I will every so often peek behind picture frames and other places we found them that first year and so far, so good.

Those suckers are everywhere...I have opened car doors and seen them sticking in the sides of the doors and every where. One of our weekly journals had an article this morning on the damage they have caused many of Virginia's crop these past few years. One winery lost their whole years output due to the bugs being in the wine. They had to dump a whole years crop.

Amazing!!!!!!!!!

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2013
6:44 AM

Post #9658643

Bump

Starting to see them again this fall 2013. Any news or success stories out there?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2013
10:05 AM

Post #9658841

I saw one on a screen and immediately thought of dear Ruby!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2013
10:19 AM

Post #9658859

I saw a couple with the few cold days about 2 weeks ago, got my peppermint and cotton balls out to make sure the space on my slider was closed off to them...def seems to keep them out
Also, my quarterly visit from my pest control guy keeps them out...I maybe get 1 inside if they fly in while the door is open but that's it

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9659069

I saw one on my Dr. Seuss brug bloom...that is it, so far.

Last winter--I may have come across 6 of them all winter--mostly in the
sashes of my windows. They just fell out when i was taking my windows apart
(yes--i have the old ones) and they were in there---somewhere...

Never checked my attic--don't want to...
G.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2013
1:17 PM

Post #9659791

Some things are best left unseen!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 15, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9660398

Hahahaha...I knew you folks would remember my claim to fame...lady with the most stink bugs ever...I went along very happily all summer and probably saw as many as Gita counted last winter...that is until this week!!! I counted three different days this week how many I gathered and put in my soapy bottle of water...one day about fifty or so, one day about sixty or so, and the warmest day this week I counted over one hundred of the suckers that I captured...it was a cooler day yesterday and saw less than ten of them...Weird thing is, that they must really love this mountain air something because even though others in town have to deal with them, they are not dealing with a hundred or so a day like I am...

Anyway...I feel fortunate that they haven't been an all summer long pest at least...I can deal with a short period of messing with them but not too very long. I did notice some weeks back when they first started appearing that they were either baby ones, or another theory of their mutated appearance, might have been from the poisonous spray that I have spent hundreds of dollars on the past couple of years...anyway...they were dark black and about half the size of the ones I had encountered in the past...I have even see a couple that are chartreuse in color too...so very odd this time.

Jen, please count yourself very lucky...thankfully for the most part they are staying outdoors here too other than a very few that get in the back entry but are usually found within a foot or two of that door...two years ago they had infested the house and I had to hire a woman to come and remove things from the walls, wash the walls down and we are talking in the hundreds then too...they get behind picture frames and mirrors and just about every place there is a slit for them to sneak through...

One of our members Sally happened to visit my home during last years invasion and I put her to work getting the bugs which were higher than I can reach...I have a cheapie butterfly net that I catch them in and then transfer to a soapy bottles of water which drowns them...remember, they do not freeze, but have a built in anti-freeze protectant...drowning or burning is the way to go...as always...an interesting topic for me...thanks for thinking of me Jan...hahaha

Ruby

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9660637

Sooo glad you popped in, dear!!! Cuz I was thinking maybe they had carried you away!!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9660972

eeeeeeee, yikes...I would have moved out till they were gone! LOL

Ric_of_MAF

Ric_of_MAF
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 16, 2013
12:17 AM

Post #9661070

I had one land in my coffee and not like the inside of my mouth. I hurried to the house and bit a piece of lemon, instant relief, even without the tequila!
We don't seem to have many this year, only enough to mess with the tomatoes and they already were having a bad year.

Hi! Ruby
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2013
7:46 AM

Post #9661338

Ric!!

You're kidding me, that is awful. I have also had the unfortunate experience of tasting one. Not a good start to your morning.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2013
7:43 PM

Post #9661936

bleccchhh!!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

September 17, 2013
10:31 AM

Post #9662334

Friend of ours had 1 land on a piece of celery...he thought his wife put hot peppers on it...went and chugged some whiskey
ICK!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9663195

Ditto ICK RICK UGH... I'm with Ruby on the volume of stink bug invasion. First year infestation was the worst, but still have a significant amount each year. I'm lucky I haven't mistakenly eaten one yet, knock on wood... Eewwwwwww.

Yes, Ruby - glad to have you pop in. Missed you and John at the Fall Swap.

Ric_of_MAF

Ric_of_MAF
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2013
4:20 PM

Post #9664365

We don't seem to have many this year. I haven't even sprayed the window sills yet. Knock, knock, knock! Just enough to mess up a number of tomatoes.I've been using the Bengal Gold Roach spray since Ruby told me about it, and although expensive, I believe I'm still using the original can. It must work as a repellant or mess up their pheromones because they don't crowd the old points of entry anymore.
If you do get one in your mouth, remember vinegar takes it away, then sip a little EVOO, eat some lettuce, and chalk it up as a salad with protein. LOL

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2013
3:25 PM

Post #9665394

I had one on the door screen today and wondered...And so it begins...? They've been almost nonexistent in my garden.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 20, 2013
4:58 PM

Post #9665483

Same for us Sally, We have seen very few this year but today I probably sucked up 2 or 3 doz. They were all over the screen door. Ric went out and found that Roach Spray he bought that works very good on stink bugs. I sprayed the edges of the door and screen and that was the end of them, at least for today.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9720570

New article on Stink Bugs

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/28/garden/wanted-dead-or-alive-no-just-dead.html?_r=1&

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

December 3, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9720625

Great link Susan, thanks! I have seen very few BMSB this year.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 3, 2013
5:48 PM

Post #9720938

I think I saw one---a dead one. That's it.

Even outside in the fall--I saw only two--on my Roses.

I'm lucky--I guess...G.

Ric_of_MAF

Ric_of_MAF
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9720950

As Holly said we had some, but nothing like previous years. I did notice more mantises this year, also I don't think this year they smell as bad as previously, to the point I just squish them, many times with no noticeable odor.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2013
6:07 PM

Post #9734378

Just thought I'd mention the laugh I got on another thread when SallyG wished a Merry Christmas to "everyone except the stink bug crawling up my sweater sleeve."

I've noted the same here, fewer stink bugs, more predators, although we've always had good numbers of mantids, spiders, wheelbugs, and more kinds of wasp-ish critters than I'd want to try to ID!.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 27, 2013
10:32 AM

Post #9735254

Stinkin stink bugs. I continue to have just enough to be annoying. I have to say it is much better than the infestation of a few years ago though. I had one drop on my dinner plate last night. Gross...

Ric_of_MAF

Ric_of_MAF
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2013
6:22 PM

Post #9735456

We're still finding 1-2 a day, especially those warmer days we had. They were going to the back door, and I was happy to let them out.LOL
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2014
1:14 PM

Post #9775859

More great news on stinkbugs. This time it's because of the polar vortex. http://www.rodalenews.com/stink-bug-rates

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2014
4:04 PM

Post #9775964

Great! It may hold true for other garden pests I think.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2014
4:08 PM

Post #9775970

Here's to a healthier plant crop this coming summer!!

Less bugs...less spraying...less $$$ spent... G.

Ric_of_MAF

Ric_of_MAF
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2014
9:35 AM

Post #9793823

The bugs I find in the house must be awfully dried out after the long winter most I've killed have very little smell, to the point I readily just swat them. Zero escape. Unfortunately the extreme cold probably will also effect the number of predatory insects as well, which I've noticed was on the rise.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2014
2:31 PM

Post #9798567

You can build your own trap to catch Stink bugs---and there is NO chemicals involved...

You need an empty, 2L Soda bottle--a small LED light and some tape.
The light attracts the bugs and thy dive intot he bottle--but cannot get back out.
Works best in dark places so they can go for the light. Gita

http://handymanbill.hubpages.com/hub/Stink-Bug-Trap
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2014
12:57 PM

Post #9900337

Hmm, yet another good use for those LED tealights... I wonder if that would attract mosquitoes, also -- maybe at night?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2014
5:08 PM

Post #9900527

Jill-
I think sally posted somewhere, recently about the different "baits" to
put in these bottles to catch different bugs.

Like--putrid, smelly stuff to catch flies...she even uses her dog's feces...

Forgot what mosquitoes needed... G.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America