Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

September 26, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9286669

You mentioned at the top that you could grow Lemon grass, Job's tears, amaranth, sorghum, oats, millet, rice at home but the volume needed was so great.

I just thought the only thing they did with sorghum is squeeze out the juice to make syrup.
Can it's top be eaten as a grain too?

Very good article on arsenic.
The "Lancet" put out an article in 2005 that King George the III - the king during the Revolutionary War -- his hair had high arsenic levels.

King George went mad. His doctor found him trying to plant steaks in the ground to grow hot dog trees.
I think it was the doctor's medicine that actually contained the arsenic by the way.

This message was edited Sep 26, 2012 8:06 AM

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9287175

...did I say the volume needed was so great? If I did, what I meant to say was: the volume yielded in a home garden is NOT so great, which is one reason why most people buy their whole grains. Maybe amaranth would be possible to harvest enough to cook for your family, but in general I think most grains are store-bought. Grasses are definitely a popular favorite to grow in home gardens for ornamental use though.

Sorghum is one of my favorite whole grains. Sorghum seeds germinate pretty easy. Seeds can be popped like popcorn too. And, it's gluten-free (like rice) for individuals who can not tolerate gluten. You can buy sorghum flour for use in baking. Here is a link with more information about sorghum:

http://www.wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/sorghum-june-grain-of-the-month

Interesting info about King George III, I didn't know that.

Thanks for commenting!
Diana
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

September 26, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9287223

Wind; thanks for the link and the information on sorghum. I had no idea! Very interesting.
Now, I think I will trot on over to your link and have a looky see.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Arsenic in Rice Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Increased rice consumption Oberon46 29 Oct 5, 2012 11:57 AM
Rice fotofashion 1 Oct 4, 2012 5:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America