Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Southwest Gardening: Little Gem Magnolia

Communities > Forums > Southwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Southwest GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 26, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9286879

Does anyone have experiance or knowledge of the Little Gem Magnolia? I put one in the ground June 1, 2012, one of the hottest days possible to be planting. It has been struggling ever since. Its just now starting to look like it may survive my stupidity. OH WELL. I was wondering if one could trim the Little Gem to keep it to about a 6 to 7 foot tall and 4 to 6 foot width? Since it seems like the plant is slow to grow new leaves and stems, I'm a bit concerned about trimming it for fear that it will either kill it, or it will grow with empty spots that are nothing but leafless stems etc. Any ideas?

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9290138

Too late to offer any advice. I bit the bullet and moved the Little Gem. Well see after it grows some, just how accepting it is of prunning. YIKES
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9290446

sorry I can't offer any advice. As far as I know, these do get sunburn and have hard time in summer months. They also prefer acidic soil as well. How big is yours?

cactusjumper

cactusjumper
Glendale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9293053

Lovetropics, I'm not sure about the acidic soil, but mine did burn in the sun. The few new leaves that come out were small. I moved the plant to a more shaded place and it is currently about 5 foot tall, but has very few leaves on it. There is a new shoot coming up from the bottom which may be classified as a sucker, but it has some really nice healthy big leaves on it. I think I am going to leave it and hope it will grow along with the established trunk, which is basically a stick right now.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Southwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugs are Bloomin SUNNYAZ 28 Nov 30, 2007 11:52 PM
Purple Hopseed Bush Judy81350 6 Jul 23, 2013 10:47 PM
Lady Bugs Desertdenial5 17 Jun 17, 2007 9:08 PM
Snail Vine KactusKathi 37 Sep 4, 2007 4:33 AM
My magnolia has flower buds. RODICAP 19 Feb 6, 2008 3:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America