Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Convection Cooking - How do it know???

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I just purchased a new GE range/convection oven - Model #:
GE JB705DTBB

I have the option to conventional bake or convection.
This model has an Auto Recipe Conversion - so when I put in the desired temp say 200 degrees the convection will show that on the display but will actually only heat to what is required for the convection conversion - so far so good!

Now my question, if I put something in the oven to convection bake and set the temp to the regular recipe temp of say 350 and I usually cook this food item for 1 1/2 hours (so I set the timer for that amount of time)...
WHEN? is my food done? In an hour and a half? having been cooked the same length of time? That doesn't make sense as cooking with convection is supposed to take less time, so HOW DO I KNOW when something is cooked?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Haighr, I know it is a bit more difficult to gauge when baking sweets like cakes, but when it comes to savories, you can use a meat thermometer for internal temperatures. Before long you will be able to figure it out. I use only convection bake on my range, which is as old as the hills and looks like it. I would not give it up! And breads come out just fine.

Most things bake for me in about 2/3 of the time I would otherwise expect. To be honest, the range was here when we moved in seven years ago, and I have never used the conventional bake. My oven before that was a standard GE, and I was very satisfied with it.

Behind that attractive grate at the back of the oven is a fan that blows air into the oven and that air passes through an additional heating element (circular in shape). I never discussed it with the technicians, but I'm sure it is responsible for more even temperatures throughout. (Pretty simple, but my theory might be wrong.)

I do have to keep an eye on the roasting when I expect it to be done because I don't use an internal thermometer. Dumpy old oven, but the roasts are juicy inside and if roasted in an open roaster, they are crispy on the outside. I never gave a second thought to convection cooking until I got it. I got used to it very quickly.

Marcia

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks for all the info Marcia. I'll let you know how it works out, so far have only used the convection once for a casserole. They tell me that it cooks by converting the temp I enter and adjusts accordingly, but to cook for the same amt of time? We shall see. Also said I can raise the temp and lower the cooking time?

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning, as it was explained to me, the automatic conversion button reduces the temp 25 grades so that's why time stays the same.

At first I didn't trust the conversipn button so I did it manually by
A) keeping same temp but cooking for less time (usually 15 min less)
Or
B) reduce temp 25 deg & cooking for time as instructed in recipe.

When we were buying our whirlpool convection, salesperson pitched the conversion button as some wondrous magical button but it turns out its a simple math formula. Like KAthy said, thermometer is your best tool so when I'm unsure I rely on it.

All in all I love my conv oven b/c baking for shorter times doesn't heat up kitchen as much as w/ reg oven.

On a related point, my baking timing is affected by whether I use glass, metal or silicone dish, so again, thermometer takes out the guesswork

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks, guess I'll start using the thermometer! I did chicken last night and used that "magical" conversion. Cooked same length of time and it was very good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.