-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9286942

Besides the obvious clearance issues for doors, and having to take up the floor trim, ect.,,
If the existing floor is sound and in good repair, can I lay ceramic floor tile over exisiting floor tiles?
I could tear out the floor but of course that would mean a ton of work, and I was thinking if it was sound, I may could re-lay over it. It would be a permanent result though that I hope to last for a very long time, not a temporary fix. Oh, the subfloors are wood(crawlspace) not slab.
Thank you for any input!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9289138

My gut says getting the top layer to bond to the lower layer might be hard. If I wanted it to be a long term solution, I'd tear the old tile up. It shouldn't come up that hard.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9299918

I removed 4 rooms of tile with a small sledge hammer and then hot iron to remove black thick glue. Our house is old. 1 room was 22 X 24 feet.
Do wear eye protection and long pants as I learned the tile can cut into skin when its flying. I wanted a good clean surface for new ceramic tile. Husb. insisted on putting down roofing black paper before we put new tile down as he said it made better lasting base. Floors have been down 10 years, no cracks or movement.
Forgot to mention old floors were asbestos and red rubber tiles. Yes, it was a mess but the end results were worth it.
Bonnie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America