-
AuthorContent
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 27, 2012
3:37 AM

Post #9287619

I was amazed to see this palm with a solitary trunk that at about 2 metres height branched into 6 trunks. Looked a bit like a huge candelabra. The trunk is distinctively ringed. Managed to get these photos but no ID. The first was taken on dusk and is a bit dark. But it does show the height up to where the branching starts. Anyone out there able to identify it. Thanks

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze   Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Click an image for an enlarged view.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9288018

if I had to guess I would say it was an Archontophoenix alexandrae. Amazing palm!
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

September 27, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9288341

Thanks for the input Geoff. But I wouldn't have thought so. Just didn't seem to have that Alex look about it. I was thinking more along the lines of a Dypsis, but can't pick one. I should have just bowled up to the front door and asked the owners (if they knew, of course). It was in Cooktown, Qld, and I'm back home now. Another missed opportunity! Now curiosity is getting the better of me. "He who hesitates in lost", LOL.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 2, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9293802

Geoff, looks like you are right, it appears it's Archontophoenix alexandrae. They say it's not unusual for those to sprout multiple heads after the top has been broken off by a cyclone. I guess with having 6 crowns to support the fronds look a little bit skimp for an Alex. Mine look a bit different.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Palms and Cycads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
help repot ponytail palm abigailfaith 15 Mar 18, 2008 12:40 AM
2000 year Phoenix seed germinates growin 3 Jun 17, 2008 3:30 PM
Help Treating for Scale on Sago Palm spicerd 36 Jan 28, 2010 5:04 PM
How to propagate a pony tail palm dogmansis 9 May 24, 2008 12:29 PM
Sago palm turning yellow deb741 17 Apr 17, 2008 6:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America