-
AuthorContent
gamacom
Jerusalem
Israel

September 27, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9287742

Hi, I am doing mosaic pots and pictures and I have many china plates.
I want to know what saw I can use to make small pieces from the plates.
thanks
drtdgr
Tacoma, WA

September 30, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9290868

Gamacom, I'm of the hammer and plastic bag persuasion when it comes to breaking up ceramics. So, I cannot offer you personal advice in this area.

I'm assuming you're talking about a wet saw, which is far beyond my knowledge base. But, I have a link to using nippers to cut plates.

Here it is: http://www.happycraftnsmosaicsupplies.com/Helps/LeponittCutterDirections.html
VannoyJ

October 8, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9299504

Use abrasive.

I have been to China (I MEAN CHINA) twice. Most people there don't use china or any ceramics. They use cheap plastic bottles. What a sarcastic world/culture.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

November 8, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9328470

gamacom wrote:Hi, I am doing mosaic pots and pictures and I have many china plates.
I want to know what saw I can use to make small pieces from the plates.
thanks

I use a round glass cutter and a pair of mosaic nippers to define the pieces. Some things I sand with a hand held sander gizmo - it has different cutter/sander fittings for it, but the glass cutter (Liponnett I think it is called) is ideal. You can cut into strips, squares, rectangles and nip into circles! The one thing I have not worked out is if you want to cut a perfect circle out of the centre of the saucer or plate - to use as a centrepiece on a mosaic without destroying the edges which you may want to use for something else.

Good luck!
swalt
Dallas, OR

November 12, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9331572

I have a question about using plates. I tried to use the pieces in the original pattern and it turned out bumpy due to the ridge on the back and the curve of the plate rim. I think you can see the bumpiness in the first picture. I cut off the rim on the back with a ring saw and the pieces were still curved. I am thinking I might try cutting the rim of the plate completely off with the ring saw and then cut into the center and cut out the flat middle section. But its really hard on the ring saw... Using nippers is OK, but I have a hard time controlling the way the plate breaks. Any suggestions? Do you have any ideas as to how I can use a plate in its original pattern and make it flat on the surface that it is applied to?

Thumbnail by swalt   Thumbnail by swalt         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

swalt
Dallas, OR

November 12, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9331573

Dear Brookfield, I just read your entry and will try using the glass cutter to get the shapes I want.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

November 13, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9332234

swalt wrote:I have a question about using plates. I tried to use the pieces in the original pattern and it turned out bumpy due to the ridge on the back and the curve of the plate rim. I think you can see the bumpiness in the first picture. I cut off the rim on the back with a ring saw and the pieces were still curved. I am thinking I might try cutting the rim of the plate completely off with the ring saw and then cut into the center and cut out the flat middle section. But its really hard on the ring saw... Using nippers is OK, but I have a hard time controlling the way the plate breaks. Any suggestions? Do you have any ideas as to how I can use a plate in its original pattern and make it flat on the surface that it is applied to?

Gosh you did a good job on that plate - perfect edges! You could use plain tiles to fill in the middle! I have not found a way to make porcelain completely flat all the time. Sometimes the "3D" makes it interesting, but I see where you are annoyed by it, because that is not what you are trying to achieve! Good luck!

Di
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

November 13, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9332236

swalt wrote:Dear Brookfield, I just read your entry and will try using the glass cutter to get the shapes I want.

Yes, then use nipper to define the edges - smooth them off. Di
swalt
Dallas, OR

November 18, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9336267

Thanks y'all. I have one more chair just like this with one more plate to match. Am hoping to get a 'flatter' look on this one. Susan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Mosaics and Stained Glass Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm trying stained glass mosaics without grout! luckygardnr 14 Aug 23, 2012 3:05 PM
How is your shop set up? SandiTX 26 Aug 3, 2009 4:15 AM
Show us all your bowling balls! luckygardnr 273 Aug 27, 2014 6:35 PM
A Demonstration: Breaking Properties of Tempered Glass scooterbug 10 Aug 28, 2007 4:50 AM
Glass painting Vee8ch 3 Dec 12, 2007 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America