Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kc22
Olathe, KS

September 27, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9287769

This is my first time ever growing any type of vegetable. I planted 8 varieties of peppers ranging in heat from Anaheim to Trinidad Scorpion. I planted four pots for each pepper variety -- assuming that, as a novice, most would not survive. Quite the opposite -- I have 32 pepper plants; and they all have produced a bountiful harvest. The pictures are just a small sample.

Thumbnail by kc22   Thumbnail by kc22   Thumbnail by kc22
Click an image for an enlarged view.

6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9287850

chile pepper institute, i will have to look them up. very nice produce! congrats. what will you do with them all?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9294823

Nice!

I read thaqt, in India, they rub 'BHUT JOLOKIA' or 'Naga Ghost' peppers on fences to keep wild elephants out.

I don't know about that, but I sprinkled a little Cayenne powder and some minced Thai or Japanese peppers like you would use on pizza. It must work, becuase I have never had a single elephant invade my garden !

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 6, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9298032

No Elephants, Lions, Tigers entered my garden either but deer, well that's a whole new Chapter, don't need any tips on how to get rid of deer though as there are many and they don't work after a few days, best mothode I found is run outside, yell like a banshee and the deer look like they will leave whenever they are ready but if I stand my ground, they eventually leave, very cute though when they bring the baby's down from the woodland to show me how cleaver they have been and the little Bamby's are the cutest ever, not sure IF they come a close second to baby Elephants though maybe someone has that problem eh, !!!!

Love the peppers, we grow peppers both sweet and hot but this year there was not enough sun Light this summer even the tomato's were a disaster as were the cucumbers, all grown indoors as we dont have a long enough season, outdoors the other Veg have not done much better either, the cabbages are heartless, the brussel sprouts are sprout less, the peas went over too fast and the runner beans just never even walked never mind running, But that's gardening for you, our seasons have been very mixed up and I have had Rhododendrons flower 3 times this year, yet the fruit never set at all with a great crop of wild Brambles but the Raspberry canes were hopeless, plenty flowers but lot's of different diseased plants of all kinds with mould being the predominant type of problem and that's due to little light and too much rain with cooler soil so, will I do it all again next year, well each year for the last several years I've said no, yet come early spring I look at bare soil and go planting again, maybe next year the conditions will be better I hope so as there has been lots of areas here and over seas where the same problems have been noted.
Good luck with the Pepper growing you have a green thumb and should try other veg too.
WeeNel.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9307981

KC22,
What medium did you plant your peppers in?
amxntransplant
Mexico City
Mexico

January 14, 2013
10:40 PM

Post #9385480

[quote="RickCorey_WA"]Nice!

I read thaqt, in India, they rub 'BHUT JOLOKIA' or 'Naga Ghost' peppers on fences to keep wild elephants out.

I don't know about that, but I sprinkled a little Cayenne powder and some minced Thai or Japanese peppers like you would use on pizza. It must work, becuase I have never had a single elephant invade my garden !

[/quote]

Oy, I almost woke a sleeping baby reading this last sentence! Its a good thing I was drinking something at the moment ;)
amxntransplant
Mexico City
Mexico

January 14, 2013
10:42 PM

Post #9385482

kc22 - your peppers look gorgous! I used to live near Olathe KS, small world. I plan on doing several variety of hotpeppers this year, did you end up with a favorite? The bhut jolokias are already on my list (although I am not worried about elephants...)

What size pots did you use?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2013
11:08 AM

Post #9385980

Thank you, thank you! And I apologize to the the sleeping baby.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America