Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Propagation: saving zinnia seeds

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 9, Views: 143
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 27, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9288146

I have many varieties of zinnias planted, and want to save some of the seeds. Question is will they match the parent i save them from, or will they cross. They are all planted close together, and i have made no effort to isolate them. Thanks in advance for your help.
Thuvia
Macon, GA
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9290922

Your saved seeds will almost certainly be crosses - but that can be a good thing!

There have been several extensive threads on the Hybridizer's forum about breeding your own Zinnia varieties with some fabulous pictures of the results. Check it out!
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9290974

[quote="Thuvia"]Your saved seeds will almost certainly be crosses - but that can be a good thing!

There have been several extensive threads on the Hybridizer's forum about breeding your own Zinnia varieties with some fabulous pictures of the results. Check it out![/quote]

OK, I looked, and i will save some of the seeds, and see what i get. Thanks
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9295605

Hi BCH,

There are two basic kinds of zinnia seeds, the petal seeds at base of the zinnia petals, and the floret seeds at the base of the pollen florets (the fuzzy yellow "starfish" looking things with 5 or 6 arms). The petal seeds have a chance of being cross pollinated by bees, but the floret seeds are mostly selfed by their own pollen. When I am sorting out zinnia seeds from the chaff, I usually drop the petal seeds in one cup and the floret seeds in a separate cup, and package them separately. Petal seeds have a fairly consistent look, but floret seeds occur in several different forms. Both kinds can yield nice zinnia plants. Commercial zinnia packets make no attempt to separate petal seeds from floret seeds, and contain both kinds mixed together.

"I will save some of the seeds, and see what I get."

Good plan.

ZM

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9296091

Thanks ZM, I will definitely try some now, and i will keep the two types separate.

Bruce

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9327332

I found that the fancy shapes and giant sizes were the first things to be blurred out of existence.

But if I saved seed heads from yellowish parents in one bag, dark red parents in another bag, and pink-pale-purple heads in another bag, the seeds TENDED to look more like their parents than like the grand avaerage.

I've4 also started pulling out the plants I DON'T like as early as I can ttlak myself into doing it, then deadheading aggressively, THEN starting to save flowerheads for seed, so that even the cross-polinated ones were "enriched" with the yellows I liked more.

But that only seems to produce a 'tendency" s far as I can tell. And I've only been doing it for one year (year before last). No zinnias were planted last Spring.
SilkKnoll
Tuskegee, AL
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2012
1:17 AM

Post #9336803

"... fancy shapes and giant sizes were the first things to be blurred out of existence."

"... the seeds TENDED to look more like their parents than like the grand average."

... on the other hand, I appreciate the miniaturized zinnias as much as the giants, or as a lead-in to the giants or to other interesting larger flower forms and/or multicolors. But, last year, a seed from a Lilliput produced two *shrubs* five feet tall and just as wide, covered with blooms all season -- one was single, and the other double.

You never know!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9338675

>> a seed from a Lilliput produced two *shrubs* five feet tall
>> You never know!

Cool! Every time I see a plant "outwit us", or surprise us, I think "good for you, Plant Kingdom! SHOW us mammals who is smarter."

One of the Zinnia forms I like best is dense petals in a ping-pong ball shape. I had some on e year that lasted FOREVER in a vase, and bloomed all summer, and were just cheerful.
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9339461

RC,

"One of the Zinnia forms I like best is dense petals in a ping-pong ball shape."

I am not too wild about dense petals, but some scabious forms like those in this picture kind of appeal to me.

ZM

Thumbnail by Zen_Man
Click the image for an enlarged view.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9339553

My all-time favorite photo from your zoo is the one that looked like a high-speed flash photo of an explosion in a paint factory.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America