CLOSED: Mostly black caterpillar?

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

I found this small (1/2" or 1.2 cm long approx), mostly a velvety black caterpillar snacking on a gaillardia leaf. I did do an internet search but came up empty. Does anyone know this sweetie pie? I have no idea of the stage of development. merci mucho

Thumbnail by vitrsna
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I may be wrong, but it looks like an armyworm to me. Not a sweetie pie if it is.

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Thanks greenthumb...i looked at some army worm websites and the images (which included a Monarch pillar...those google images really crack me up sometimes) and i didn't find any information or image that convinced me. firstly, my worm/caterpillar has a more sleek lizard like head rather than a bulbous one and the eating pattern was described as eating leaves from the outside inward, while the one i have is eating holes in the middle. so i found some differences and not much in the way of commonality. still it could be i guess, but i didn't find anything convincing.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Someone with far more expertise than I will no doubt be along today to give you better counsul.

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

whether it is or is not an army worm, thanks for alerting me to this critter. now i know more about the army worms and how serious a problem they can be. in the meantime the critter is incarcerated and eating a rudbeckia leaf.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Awaiting trial and deemed a flight risk?

Minot, ND

It does look like a noctuid; this family includes armyworms, cutworms, etc. but getting a specific i.d. on this one may be extremely difficult.

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Exactly, greenthumb and the verdict is in.

Thank you Flapdoodle. This is close enough for me. It is a question of letting it go to flourish, or not. I guess i'll break the news to not so sweetie pie. Thank you both and adios noctuid.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images