Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Perennials: Why do dianthus blooms fall over?

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 2, Views: 125
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

September 27, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9288288

My dianthus desmond plants look healthy, and the buds are on upright stems, but when they bloom they tend to fall over. They're too small to warrant staking. Any suggestions for making the flowers stand up straight?

TIA
LAS

Thumbnail by LAS14
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9288407

When plants grow floppy like that, I would always look at sun, water, and fertilizer. Not enough sun can make things grow leggier which will make them more prone to flopping, and a bit more water/fertilizer than they really need can cause more/faster growth, which will also be less sturdy and more prone to flopping.
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

August 8, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9625269

Well, I've decided to maximize the inevitable, as Charles DeGaulle would say. I experimented with some plant "cages." Too obtrusive and too expensive. But if I crowd the plants together, I get a nice effect.

The spot gets great sun. Whenever I plant I add compost, rock phosphate and greensand. Drainage is great.

What are other folks' experience with this kind of dianthus? Desmond and Inchmery. Here's a picture of my capitulation.

Thumbnail by LAS14
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America