Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Aroids: Hoping for Caladium IDs

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 2, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9289057

I dug up my caladiums (maybe too late for one of the plants) and I'm planning to store them for the winter. I have about 10 different varieties, but I've lost the markers to 4 of them. When I checked several different websites and Google images, I can't seem to find close-enough matches to label them before storage. These 4 could even be hybrids of the ones I already have identified. The color of #2 may not be true since it looks as though a cold night nipped the foliage. (I uploaded the photos in order, but they seem to have a mind of their own.) Thanks for looking and for suggesting possibilities.

Thumbnail by 1alh1   Thumbnail by 1alh1   Thumbnail by 1alh1   Thumbnail by 1alh1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9389452

The second photo looks a lot like Carolyn Whorton, but I am no authority. A lot of my caladium plants started out looking like your 4th photo. It is sometimes difficult to ID a plant when the colors on the foliage may be affected on the age and location of the plants. The bulbs often grow based on the temperature of the soil.

I start my caladium bulbs indoors, and they can go outside as soon as it warms up. The soil is still too cool for the bulbs, but the containers are perfect. I put several bulbs in each container. If we get a cold spell, I bring the plants indoors. Many of the first sprouts are not recognizable, depending on the variety.
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2013
8:18 PM

Post #9418408

Thanks, Cathy166. I did have a few Carolyn Whorton plants that I thought I identified correctly. But as you stated, sometimes they change with age or location. Maybe I've even created a few new hybrids! I always start them early, too, since they take so long to come up in the shade garden. I'm looking forward to seeing what I wind up with this summer.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America