Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Hoping for Caladium IDs

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

I dug up my caladiums (maybe too late for one of the plants) and I'm planning to store them for the winter. I have about 10 different varieties, but I've lost the markers to 4 of them. When I checked several different websites and Google images, I can't seem to find close-enough matches to label them before storage. These 4 could even be hybrids of the ones I already have identified. The color of #2 may not be true since it looks as though a cold night nipped the foliage. (I uploaded the photos in order, but they seem to have a mind of their own.) Thanks for looking and for suggesting possibilities.

Thumbnail by 1alh1 Thumbnail by 1alh1 Thumbnail by 1alh1 Thumbnail by 1alh1
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The second photo looks a lot like Carolyn Whorton, but I am no authority. A lot of my caladium plants started out looking like your 4th photo. It is sometimes difficult to ID a plant when the colors on the foliage may be affected on the age and location of the plants. The bulbs often grow based on the temperature of the soil.

I start my caladium bulbs indoors, and they can go outside as soon as it warms up. The soil is still too cool for the bulbs, but the containers are perfect. I put several bulbs in each container. If we get a cold spell, I bring the plants indoors. Many of the first sprouts are not recognizable, depending on the variety.

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Cathy166. I did have a few Carolyn Whorton plants that I thought I identified correctly. But as you stated, sometimes they change with age or location. Maybe I've even created a few new hybrids! I always start them early, too, since they take so long to come up in the shade garden. I'm looking forward to seeing what I wind up with this summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.