Photo by Melody

Beekeeping: Question for bee experts: What is going on with these bees?

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 3, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

passiflora_pink

passiflora_pink
Shelby County, AL
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9289067

I have a butterfly bush that seems to be intoxicating to bees. Whenever I check the blossoms there are lethargic bees on the flowers...they appear drugged! One morning before dawn I picked some flowers from the shrub and brought them in and a bumblebee was "sleeping" on the blossoms so I took it outside and brushed it off. Since then I check every day and there are honeybees and bumblebees all motionless or moving slowly along the blossoms. I can pick the flowers and the bees just sit there. Here is a photo of 2 bumblebees but there is a honeybee on the other side. I have not used pesticides in my garden and no nearby shrubs seem to affect them the same way. I assume the bees recover because when I brush them off the plant they are soon gone.

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink   Thumbnail by passiflora_pink
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2013
5:20 AM

Post #9451041

They sleep in the blossoms, guess they are just more comfortable there... but for a bumble to 'fly' they have to get to 86* to do so. Guess the day just got too cold for them and they can't get warmed up enough since they stayed out working too late...
Diana_K
Contra Costa County, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2013
7:08 PM

Post #9457583

Honeybees get quite lethargic in cold weather, and do not fly at night. If they were harvesting the pollen or honey too late in the day, or a cold breeze started while they were out then they sure would just hang onto the flowers until they warmed up the next morning. Seems that air temperature under 50*F stops them flying.

passiflora_pink

passiflora_pink
Shelby County, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2013
7:36 AM

Post #9458970

Thanks for the replies! We never stop learning, do we?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America