West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

The flowers are small, I dont see many seedheads, and the middle of the flower is very odd looking! I thought, perhaps purpureus 'Variegata' before they created the variegated leaves variety as this has green leaves and these buds open instead of closing.

Thumbnail by keithp2012 Thumbnail by keithp2012 Thumbnail by keithp2012
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

It does look a lot like H syriacus 'Minerva"

It does look similar, but especially the first photo looks like male parts coming out where petals are, the variety you think it is doesnt have that feature.

This plant has nearly no seed pods, the few pods it managed to grow are long and slender, almost like common milkweed pods without the spines. I'll get photo once pods are mature.

Here's the seed pods, strange shape!

Thumbnail by keithp2012

It looks like you have had some sort of insect chewing on your plant....Thrips are a problem for ROS and it looks like something has pierced the buds. Perhaps that accounts for the deformity.

The seeds from this sprouted so not sterile, though the whole plant only had 5 seed pods mature with very few seeds inside.

One seedling was white!

Hi Keith. Did you purchase this plant or was it a volunteer, one you grew from seed or a cutting?

Purchased plant long time ago

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Just passing on some info. I have 'Aphrodite' and it is not exactly seedless or sterile but much more so than regular H. syriacus.

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/hibiscus.pdf

I have discovered that a lot of the "goddess" named ROS do not produce seeds heavily and since they are crosses, the seeds rarely breed true to color.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Exactly.

Quote from Cville_Gardener :
Just passing on some info. I have 'Aphrodite' and it is not exactly seedless or sterile but much more so than regular H. syriacus.

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/hibiscus.pdf

True, it barely had any seeds, and half of the pods it had fell off before seeds even matured. I was lucky to get 3 pods but only about 8 seeds sprouted.

Quote from themoonhowl :
I have discovered that a lot of the "goddess" named ROS do not produce seeds heavily and since they are crosses, the seeds rarely breed true to color.

That's why I was curious if the seeds were sterile. They weren't, so now I'm curious what the offspring will look like.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Me too. Post the results over on the Hibiscus forum when the time comes, will you?

'Aphodite'

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Quote from Cville_Gardener :
Me too. Post the results over on the Hibiscus forum when the time comes, will you?

'Aphodite'

Sure, will do!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.