Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Fruits and Nuts: Hazelnuts

Communities > Forums > Fruits and Nuts
bookmark
Forum: Fruits and NutsReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9289259

I just shelled the "harvest" from my hazelnut tree, now about 4 years old. Last year was the first year for nuts, and I had a whopping 15 nuts! This year was better... about 125 nuts.

I hope to take some cuttings next spring, but I also want to order a few more seedlings. Anyone have suggestions on varieties?
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

October 13, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9303926

Darius,

If your Hazelnut is also called a Filbert, it may need another tree to pollinate for a heavier crop. Not sure about this but it does seem to me i was told that when i planted some a long time ago.

Ernie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9304290

Yes, it does better with another one nearby. Happens in my case, there are 2 wild (or volunteer) hazels/filberts along the creek bed about 15' from my bush.
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

October 16, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9307241

Darius,

The ones i planted in Idaho varied a lot in individual production, as well as year to year. So maybe when you get some more planted, at least some of them will produce better.

I loved having them, and i hope you get what you need there.

Ernie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fruits and Nuts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Fruit Trees forum! dave 36 Feb 14, 2008 2:20 PM
spraying trees notmartha 18 Mar 29, 2009 1:52 PM
plum tree-loaded! notmartha 50 Sep 5, 2007 1:57 PM
Anyone have PawPaw fruit? crestedchik 67 Feb 29, 2008 2:08 AM
Strawberry Predator? TuttiFrutti 2 Aug 17, 2008 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America