Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Fruits and Nuts: Hazelnuts

Communities > Forums > Fruits and Nuts
bookmark
Forum: Fruits and NutsReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 28, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9289259

I just shelled the "harvest" from my hazelnut tree, now about 4 years old. Last year was the first year for nuts, and I had a whopping 15 nuts! This year was better... about 125 nuts.

I hope to take some cuttings next spring, but I also want to order a few more seedlings. Anyone have suggestions on varieties?
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

October 13, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9303926

Darius,

If your Hazelnut is also called a Filbert, it may need another tree to pollinate for a heavier crop. Not sure about this but it does seem to me i was told that when i planted some a long time ago.

Ernie

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9304290

Yes, it does better with another one nearby. Happens in my case, there are 2 wild (or volunteer) hazels/filberts along the creek bed about 15' from my bush.
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

October 16, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9307241

Darius,

The ones i planted in Idaho varied a lot in individual production, as well as year to year. So maybe when you get some more planted, at least some of them will produce better.

I loved having them, and i hope you get what you need there.

Ernie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fruits and Nuts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Fruit Trees forum! dave 36 Feb 14, 2008 2:20 PM
spraying trees notmartha 18 Mar 29, 2009 1:52 PM
plum tree-loaded! notmartha 50 Sep 5, 2007 1:57 PM
Anyone have PawPaw fruit? crestedchik 67 Feb 29, 2008 2:08 AM
Strawberry Predator? TuttiFrutti 2 Aug 17, 2008 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America