Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Help with ID and Mystery please...........

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

My DH and I found this volunteer little tree behind our outdoor fireplace. Since we love free plants, we just left it. Then a friend came by and said it was a Hackberry Tree and we should dig it out.

So my question would be.....why get rid of it? And then I noticed THIS happening to it's trunk. The strangest thing I ever saw. Does anyone know what this phenomenon is?

Beverly Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

Looks like it might be called a bacon tree. LOL Actually, never saw anything like that!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

OMG.......BACON.....it does look like that!

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It is called a Winged Elm closely related to Cedar Elm
http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ULAL

Bryan, TX(Zone 8b)

That's really neat looking! I would definitely keep it :)

Fulshear, TX(Zone 9b)

I need a bacon tree! :)

We had winged elms in Missouri, but they never had that nice coloration. Just gray bark, but the link posted by Frostweed looks spot on.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow, thanks everyone.

I might have to move it from where it is. Think I should wait for spring....or go for it now?

It is best to move it when it is dormant, in late fall or winter.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That's a cool looking tree! Congratulations! It's also a host for the Question Mark butterfly. Very neat!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great pictures of a awesome tree. You need to add those to the PlantFiles database. There isn't one with the leaves and so close up as yours. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63292/

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you one and all for your help in ID-ing the tree, as well as our official nick name of it as a Bacon Tree! My DH moved it yesterday to the front yard where some grass had died from the drought. Little guy is over 8 feet tall!

It looks very nice there.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great job, Morgan and hubby!!

Deer Park, TX

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it looks like bacon. lol The "bacon" looks to me like it might be some type of mushroom, but that's just my guess as I always have more questions than answers.

If it like the ones we had growing in MO, it is a part of the bark. Even the limbs had that shape bark.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Central Texas gardeners call this tree 'bat-wing' elm. Montgomery County gardeners call it 'wing' elm. They are hardy, long lived, and some have beautiful fall color. They will sprout in the yard from seed. Some put them in the catagory of, 'oh, not another one!' I like bacon tree for the name.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ooh I like Bat Wing.......or maybe Angel Wing? Elm??

But both my DH and I have been referring to it as the Bacon Tree.....LOL......I think it's because we laugh each time we do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.