Photo by Melody

Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!: Ribbons may catch their eye

Communities > Forums > Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move!Replies: 1, Views: 2
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sceloporous
Lebanon, PA

September 29, 2012
2:05 AM

Post #9289589

I live in a mostly wooded area. I've underplanted Aquilegia 'Red Hobbit' and some Salvia 'Maraschino' to attract the Ruby-throats. Also Penstemon, Butterfly bush and Lobelia. Short of placing that arrow on the roof, my problem was to get the birds to see my feeder and the plants available to them. Two years ago I was at the grocery store, and the after Christmas sale included rolls of red curling ribbon. Hmmmm. Tied them to the spouting at a corner of the house that is sunny and easily seen from above. About 8-foot lengths. These ribbons move and sway in the breeze...enough to catch the eye of the little hummers migrating through my area.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9292833

That's a good tip. I've done that with the wide plastic ribbon that they sell at Christmas time for outdoors.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Are on the Move! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
hummingbirds Jiny 17 Sep 14, 2009 3:20 PM
Good article! tommyr2006 3 Sep 13, 2009 9:40 PM
Mystery solved! Rowan_linnea 1 Sep 13, 2009 5:38 PM
Rubythroated Hummingbirds txaggiegal 1 Sep 13, 2009 9:40 PM
Great article! pelletory 5 Sep 14, 2009 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America