Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Texas Gardening: Texas Rain

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2012
3:02 AM

Post #9289612

Well, it has been raining here in West Texas for over 36 hours now and I can't believe I am saying this but I think I have just about had enough for the moment. I just emptied my rain gage since it was over flowing! It was above the 5 inch mark I guess about 5 1/4 inches and still raining.. It is a good thing that the rain has mostly been steady and slow with moderate flooding of the streets. Most is soaking in or running off into the places it is supposed to go. I don't know about other places in the area but just drove the 3 miles from my parents house and did not have any unusual difficulties other than some regular heavy water in the usual spots. My yard looks like a swamp and I can see the water standing in the parks and lots everywere. I am sure if anyone tried to walk they would sink into the ground a bit like a mild swamp unitl it has a little time to dry after the rains leave. I am just hoping some of this is helping our lakes. I have lived here since the 70's and don't remember having this much rain at one time.

Careful what you wish for!

This message was edited Sep 29, 2012 5:05 AM

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9290041

Here in northern mills county, we have had 3 inches, and are proud of every drop! We might even get a small cutting of hay if it does not cool off to quickly. Coastal Bermuda shuts down its growth when the soil temps drop below 60 degrees F.
Robert

LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9290162

Congratulations on your share of the rain. It looks like the entire state of Texas has or is getting a good soaking. We are starting to dry out today. I got another 1/4 inch before it finally gave up and moved out. The ground is like foam when walking on it... strange feeling. Just a few days ago it felt like cement. I can't wait to see how things green up when the sun comes out... still dark and gray today.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9290965

Sooo happy west Texas is getting some much-needed rain! We've picked up about 3" since Fri evening. Love it!

LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9290975

The sun is out today.. finally. I got a glimpse of sunshine yesterday but that was all. It really is a welcome sight today. I am sure the humidity is going to be fun to deal with for a while... bring on the green growth!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9292362

3.75" here over the weekend and tickled to death!
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9292498

It is amazing how quickly things start turning green after the rain. We are drying out nicely now and the sun is beautiful. Texas is surely sparkling today after all the rain.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9292712

It really is! Things have really perked up in my gardens today. I love it!!

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9293583

It was incredible to look at the radar on Saturday and see the entire western part of the state covered in green and headed towards the Dallas area. I got just over 3" all told and my lawn/plants enjoyed every drop. Fall has arrived!

Carla
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9293693

At one point I looked at the radar and the entire state was covered except El Paso, some of the border east of that area and the tip of the panhandle. It was BEAUTIFUL! LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America