AuthorContent

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9289986

I HAVE A COLLAGE OF BULBS NAMED & LOST TAGS & WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THERE ARE OTHERS THAT WOULD LIKE TO SHARE
SOME OF YOURS

If you want to come share please sign up here I'm not going to have anyone list what you have for this is going to be just a " GRAB BAG"
with at lease 10-15 ASSORTED Bulbs Or as Many as you have to share .

I'M JUST GOING TO ASK YOU TO "PLEASE CHECK THE BULBS TO BE SURE THEY ARE HEALTH NO SOFT OR MUSHY ,

YOU MAY SEND ANYTHING JUST HAVE THEM SORTED AS TO WHAT THEY ARE . YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A

LIKE A GIVEN NAME (Tulip Siagon ) or (Princess Irene ) Just what you know they are :) If they are named & You know it Great but
NO NAMES Are fine

DAFFODILL
CROCUS
HYACINTH
ALLIUM

MAIL OUT BY NOV 1st

Thumbnail by deejay9
Click the image for an enlarged view.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9289988

PLAYERS here is your partners

FOTV SENDS TO GOLDHILLAL
GOLDHILLAL SENDS TO MITTSY
MITTSY SENDS TO AHOOGSTRA
AHOOGSTRA SENDS TO SBISH5
SBISH5 SENDS TO DEEJAY9
DEEJAY9 SENDS TO FOTV

PLEASE POST HERE WHEN YOU SEND OR REC'D YOUR BULBS ALSO PLEASE TRY TO TAKE A PICTURE & POST WHAT YOU HAVE REC'D . IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CAMERA PLEASE LET YOUR PARTNER KNOW THEY CAN TAKE THE PICTURE & POST IT OR SEND TO ME I WILL POST IT :)

please try to get your bulbs out as soon as possible so everyone has time to get them in the ground before the snow flies:)
thank you all .

This message was edited Oct 13, 2012 8:51 PM
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9289996

Sign me up, I have lots of Narcissus/Daffodils. I'd dearly love some alliums, and anything suitable for winter forcing.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9290000

OHHHH Coool Mittsy I Just got the ones planted you sent yo me then I Was ask if I would Open this & So now I Have to go dig up a few BULBS :) HEHE
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9290298

Sounds great. I'll play, Susie. Timing is good too since the bulbs I've ordered should be here before our mail out date.
Any bulb is fine with me, named or not. Love to be surprised.
What a pretty Lily up there *wink*

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9290666

I need to know if all the bulbs will be mailed to you or if they will go to the individuals participating? We're leaving soon for our winter home and it would be better to mail from here.
mittsy

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

September 30, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9290695

Just the 4 kinds to swap? :(

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9290750

NO The BULBS Will Not be coming to me .
you will get a Partner Someone will send to you & You will be sending to someone else that way less chance of getting the same bulbs back :) HEHE

MTTSY: When do you leave for the south?

Crystal : whatcha mean 4 kind of swap? BULBS can be ANY TYPE OF BULBS NOT JUST THE 4 UP TOP.
JUST WANTED TO MAKE IT EASY ON ANYONE WANTING TO JOIN US .

A. LILIES
O. LILIES
DUTCH IRISES
TB. IRISES
SDB.IRISES
TULIPS
CROCUS
DAFF'S
ALLIUMS
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9290883

Would Cannas and Dahlias be OK as well?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9291081

Don't see why Not :) I Have lots to share & I Just Bought about 20+ From Pat went out the other day & Marked all the ONEs I Wanted With Green Ribbon so when she Digs I will go get them . Thanks SOOZE I Hadn"t thought of them .
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9291308

Folks in warmer climates aren't able to grow Tulips in the ground, not sure what other Spring-blooming bulbs are included, but that is what my SIL in Ft. Worth said because the chill period required isn't adequate enough. She gave a bag of Tulip bulbs to me one year after they bloomed for her at work and I wanted to know why she just didn't plant them. That's why I thought Cannas and Dahlias might be good candidates for people in warmer climates.

Mittsy and Crystal, just curious what kinds of Spring-blooming bulbs can you plant in the ground in FL and AL? Forcing I guess would be successful for any though.

Pic is an Amaryllis, another kind of bulb I adore.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9291328

peruvian lilies, alstroemeria
african lilies, crinum
cannas, caladiums
my favorites are blue, but any color Agapanthus (lilies of the Nile)
Naked ladies lilies
rain lilies
another favorite, begonias for hanging baskets
bletilla and Nun's - ground orchids

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9291361

DAFF"S Are good for forcing & They have some great ones out there I Love the DBLS
I Like Surprises as for Bulbs named or not . need or would like more crocus & alliums other then
I Have the " Purple Rain " & have a yellow Moly - 'Lily Leek' well one that looks like the molly :)
I'd like some white ,allium .or REDISH color
well this old lady is tuckered out tonight so guess i will lay back early with a Movie GN All

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

September 30, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9291395

OK! Count me in!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9291420

DEEJAY
MITTSY
FOTV
GOLDHILLAL

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 1, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9291809

Hey everyone! Count me in! You know anything my sweet suzie starts I'm in:)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9291824

DEEJAY
MITTSY
FOTV
GOLDHILLAL
AHOOGSTRA --WELCOME
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 3, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9294722

Hello, Would like to join in if possible! Am new to this but I have :

SDB iris(would be named)
TB iris(would be named)
and have a "mixed" pot of tulip,daffodil,hyacinth bulbs.

Would love some new oriental lilies,pink daffodils,odd color canna(leaves or flowers) but also open to anything you have!!
I know day lilies aren't exactly fall bulbs but know some people have them and I would love some of those also!!(Just saying!!!)
Thank you

This message was edited Oct 3, 2012 1:09 PM

This message was edited Oct 6, 2012 8:31 AM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9295066

Hey Shirley! Glad to see you here. You'll have fun in the groups.

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 3, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9295207

Thanks for the welcome Susan!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9295488

Hi Shirley The 13 th I Will be up in your area :) Meeting other DG Friends at FRANKINMUTH :) Be Nice if you also could Join us :)
anyway welcome to the group .

Would you please send me your address so i can share with your partner when i find out whom will be sending to you :))
ya all have a great day back later

DEEJAY
MITTSY
FOTV
GOLDHILLAL
AHOOGSTRA
SBISH5

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9301702

Well guess there are not to many that have Bulbs to share so I will assign us a partner SATURDAY THE 13 th then we can send when ever your ready to send .

Looks as i won't be getting together with the Girls Saturday I Have to pay for a tooth to be pulled Very BUMMED over this but has to be done.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9303833

Will try to have have your partners by later today .

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9304325

your partners are posted above please let me know you are still watching :))))
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9304346

Mighty fine job! Thank you, Susie.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 14, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9304533

Looks like Susie is my partner!! Going out today (if rain stops long enough---STILL raining her from yesterday) and get things together so I can get them sent out tomorrow!!!
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 14, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9304556

Well have my things ready to be boxed up for Susie and will be mailing them out tomorrow morning!! Hope she likes them!! Happy planting Susie!!!

Thumbnail by sbish5

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 14, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9304570

What is that to the top left by the tulips that is sprouting. Has 3/4 sprouts and a little something red (maybe new growth) in there?
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 14, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9304596

That one is a hyacinth bulb. There are others that are sprouting also , just can't see it in the pic!!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9304615

Shirley was you outside with your flash light digging ?? I didn't get the list posted till about 9 pm :) you are so fast When you have a Month :) really :)

Fruity I will be sending yours around the 1st of the Month for i have something ordered so have to wait on that :) .

busy with the seed robin today so may not be on much today .ya all have a great day .

susie
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 14, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9304637

NOPE no flashlights required!!! Just an early riser!! I find I can get more done in the morning before everyone else gets up!! Wanted to get irises to you so they can get established enough before we get a real bad frost(have had a few window scraping mornings already). Hope you like your things when you get them! And getting things ready for cemetary-taking Mom out to put things out for Dad & grandparents.

Thumbnail by sbish5   Thumbnail by sbish5         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 14, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9304663

Great arrangements!!!

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 14, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9304855

Woot Woot! Look out sbish5:) Here comes the bulbs:) Thanks Susie!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9304918

Shirley Love your arrangements & What a Great Idea For the Graves I Should do that for Mom& Dads :) TY for sharing .

This is going to be a fun swap . TY all
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 14, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9304974

Thanks Susie, The kids love trying to come up with something different for each birthday/holiday for dad & grandparents!! There is actually now an Easter Lily(that just bloomed!) in the middle of the arrangement that my oldest son cut to put out for grandpa!! Can't forget about dad & grandparents!!
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 14, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9304983

Thanks Alicia!! I'm ready & waitin!!!!

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9305157

DJ

Do you have room for me? I only have daffodil bulbs to share...so no worries if there's no room!

Candi
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9305186

I'll swap with you, Candi! Don't mind sending two boxes for this one.

Susie, I appreciate your thoughtfulness so much, but you should not have ordered something for me! You know I am always happy with what you share from your gardens.

Crystal, your box is ready to go tomorrow. For whatever reason, your address still isn't being picked up on the USPS site for printing a label, so I'll get a Delivery Confirmation # at the PO tomorrow and send it to you and Susie. No problem. Have to go anyway since I don't know who's running the route this week because our regular mail lady is at the beach with a girlfriend. Lucky dog texted me today that she had her toes in the sand! She sure does deserve a vacation from work and critter chores.

Very clever arrangements, Shirley! Lots of inspiration and imagination there. Are those real pumpkins or Funkins?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9305196

Not to worry Fruity I Get one Just Like yours :) HEHE GN All
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9305226

Good for you! Many times have I done the same thing, making it 'twice as nice' :)

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 15, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9305598

Fruity, USPS sure knows my address altho I mail out under Gold Hill Plant Farm usually but that does not affect the address. The USPS website makes me want to scream and curse. It is constantly down, just for short peroids usually, but a huge annoyance when I am already busy as a one armed paper hanger. The problem might be a single letter out of place in the address, or maybe someone there hates me.I have some like feelings myself, at least toward the website. It is unknowable except to say--what else is new.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9305623

Alicia, Now that I am in FL I can add some tropical bulbs from my gardens here. I already have Narcissus and Daffodils from my gardens up north. Would you like cannas and walking iris and Aftican iris, rain lilies?
miottsy
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 15, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9305629

Thanks Susan, the pumpkins are real--kids hollowed them out and drew the faces on them! and the mums are from the yard! Try to come up with different things each year.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9305638

Mittsy : Goldhillal is sending to you so be sure to send her your florida address ok i don't have that one .still rainy here well cloudy & Cool
guess the rain is moving out. well off to get my day going.
back later
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 15, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9305665

GM all, Susie--just got back from post office and box is on it's way to you!! Hope you enjoy them!! Sending d-mail with del. conf. # !! Still somewhat raining here also--not as cold (yet) they say rain is to stop but wind to pick up later so we'll see what happens!! Have a great day everyone!

Shirley

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 15, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9305966

Mittsy,
I would LOVE all of the bulbs you listed! I have plenty of the " normal" MI bulbs, so I would LOVE the tropicals to start inside, and move outside after the weather is warm enough:) Especially the rain lillies! Oh who am I kidding I would love them all:)
I am SOOOO excited Mittsy!
Thank you!
Alicia
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9306220

Bulbs have flown to you Crystal and Candi!

This has to be the easiest swap I've ever participate in.

AliKat32

AliKat32
Greenfield, NH
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9306263

Hi Fruity!
I'll send out your box of daffodil bulbs on Wednesday! :)
Thanks for swapping with me!
I've been planting and planting the bulbs I have and I just don't have any more room -- so the rest are coming to you!
:)

C
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9306287

Rats! I left the daggone note in the printer. They're all labeled though, Candi.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9306320

HEHE Fruity I Closed & Opened My Seed Box 3 times today before getting ready to take it to the post office & Then I still didn't get there &
I just found another bunch of seeds i forgot to put in so now i have to open it again :)

I've been adding to your box as I see what i have to share PROMISE No Cannas for ya :)
well off to play back later
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9306385

Elephant Ears, Caladiums and Cannas are hard to beat around here for a tropical look, though, and I love them, just not so much the storing part.

Saturday I started digging Cannas. Figure that way I'll be finished well ahead of time and also have some promised for trades. Usually I wait til after our first Frost has bit the leaves. Most were finished blooming anyway. They were so easy to lift compared to past years. My clay soil has gotten much better with all the amendments and mulch it's received. An experiment this year is to leave one of each in the ground so next year I'll have a gauge of which ones are hardy here. We are right on the line of hardiness. I know Indica, which I don't have anymore, is hardy here as is Richard Wallace still blooming strong.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9306409

I Also Left a couple of them in the ground Just to see what is going to happen I dug up a couple just to save incase they do not come back :)

well it is about time for my show to start so off to get the PJ"S On :)
GN ALL
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9307353

Look what arrived in my in box today, from Garden Gate eNotes. Thought about your pumpkin planters, Shirley.

http://www.gardengatenotes.com/2012/10/16/pumpkin-planter-2/?utm_source=GardenGateNotes&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=6427

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9307365

you got a Filled Pumpkin ??? how fun :) We want a picture when you have it done :))))

cramp in my hand can hardly type so off to get my PJ's On for the night back for coffee In the am :)
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 16, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9307497

HEY! they stole my idea:) ha-ha!! Very cool! Like the different plants they put in theirs! Guess you could put most anything in them--fall color leaves would look really cool also! Thanks for posting it Susan!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9307571

Hubs has been meaning to pick up a few bales of hay loaded in the back of his truck for me to make our Fall display but has been sidetracked with hunting season now in full swing, plus he's been busy on his good days with a neighbor helping split our wood pile. I might as well bite the bullet, so to speak...lol and pick the bales up myself, as much as I despise driving his truck. So far he's only bagged a Buck and we gave the meat away on FreeCycle. Now there's a waiting list of folks waiting to receive. It's amazing how many people are interested and is also gratifying being able to help feed our neighbors. In the meantime, Pumpkins our mail lady gave us are ready and waiting to finish our display. We usually have corn shocks too bound with twine, but it was a lousy growing season and the farmers we know have already mowed down their corn fields for silage, such as they were.

Our leaves are just starting to change colors and are a reminder it's time to pick a few and send a box of them to my SIL in TX. I try to send one to her each year to remind her of home. Colors don't last long but she enjoys their sentimental value.

It's past my bedtime and will see you all tomorrow.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9308041

I got my BULBS Today & It is so nice out i have to go get them in the ground before i go to town .
ty much shirley off to plant :)

Thumbnail by deejay9

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 17, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9308506

My bulbs came today. Thanks Fruity! They are wonderful! So many nice cannas and other bulbs,too. Will send pics tomorrow!! Thanx

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9308692

GM I Have all mine in the ground it was a beautyful day to get it done this morning is another rainy morn so will root them in good :) Perfect timing Shirley :)
I Hope that My Order gets here this week yet so I might be able to get mine out by Sat IF Possible :)
LOTS To Read this morning . & I sorta slept in with the rainy dark morning :)
back later to see what CRYSTAL Got :)))
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9310048

Evening everyone! Yesterday after hub's middle-of-the-day dr appt which ate most of the day, I decided to relax a bit and start working on our Fall Display. It's not finished, but this is a start after going for straw bales Wednesday. Yes, I drove the truck...lol Regrettably, the bunches of Pampas Grass are poor substitutions for traditional Corn shocks, not as pleasing or long lasting either as the wind today already blew down one of the bunches. What to do? And that big bag of Raffia that could have come in handy making bows was donated on one of my many trips to Goodwill. I'll liven the display a bit with Mums. What else does it need?

You're very welcome, Crystal! I wasn't sure which Zone you're in and whether or not you're able to leave Cannas in the ground year-round. If not, won't they be content growing in your greenhouse? As mentioned, an experiment this year is to leave one of each in the ground that are established as a test to see which ones are hardy.

Candi, oh my gracious at the Daffodil bulbs! You cannot imagine how happy I am to have these since I only had a few.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9310385

Susan Hard to find any corn stalks here also all have been Chopped for silage also , I have about 6 stalks that have come up in my flowerbeds from the corn that the birds have dropped. :) some one put a few colored corn in the robin last fall & I Planted a few of them & They did come up as a Striped corn i should go check see if the frost got it or not . Just need your Mums sitting around it but you have them planted I'm sure :)

I can't believe the prices they are charging for Pumpkins around here when their are Thousand out in the fields yet just rotting .
Well my order still is not here they have not even sent it out I'm Very Up-set with this company ,ordered 3 wks ago ..

Had a great day yesterday with LK & Her dad Looks like a Sunny day so hope to get my gardens cleaned up a bit .
have a great weekend all .

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 21, 2012
1:24 AM

Post #9310997

Sorry I have taken so long to getting back to try to post a picture of my wonderful bulb box. Here it is (I hope). Yes, Susan, I leave cannas in the ground. They return just fine. The other bulbs I have to research to see whether to plant them now or wait and how to store. Any suggestions? I know the spider lilies should be planted now. They have green foliage all winter, dying back in the spring.

Thumbnail by goldhillal

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9311037

I received my box also. We arrived to an infestation of cockroaches (palmetto bugs) and have been busy cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. The bug man has come and sprayed and no more live ones for the past two days. Still finding bodies. I am very happy with my boxfull and hope Crystal will post a picture of the iris blooms and freesias. Pictures and more info to come on Monday. Computer interface problems, Hope that my daughter, her husband or my granddaughter can help me out as we are going to visit them today.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9311120

WOw Nice boxes all for such a small group :) who says small swaps can't be any BIG SURPRISES :) if my Order isn't here by WEDs of this next week I'm going to cancle & Send My box with another Make-up gift if that is ok with Fruity. I Cannot believe its taken them 3wks to ship when they are right here in Mich.

Mittsy Guess I would have to Take our Spiders & Ants festation rather then those Florida cockroaches (palmetto bugs) Makes me
Quiver just thinking of them :)

well tis time for me to get my shoes on & get my brother out here to put up the rest of my Patio roof so you all have a great day .
back later

my back yard this morning

Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9311568

Hey fruity here is a few Ideas from our Pumpkin farm my sister & I went today what fun we had .
the last 2 are of the old Dam I Grew up next to
the last pic is of the falls they are not open fully ,the path to the dam was all grown over & no way down any more
but we used to dive off the top of the fall oh to be a kid again in the COLDWATER RIVER That was the name Now they have changed it to GOLD WATER RIVER Have No Idea as to why.

My Big Sister Is back in Mich Now came home last week she was out in IDAHO But she is back now .so i went & got her & we had a great day out :) All that fresh air wore me out :) & I'm ready to lay back with a movie . so good night all .

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9311570

& I forgot to tell ALICIA also THANK YOU For a Nice visit & LUNCH Hope we can do it again soon :)))
this is my big sister :) well older :) hehe I'm catching up with her :)

Thumbnail by deejay9

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 21, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9311611

Susie you are so silly! I LOVE spending time with you and walking in your gardens! Ours is a life-long friendship (thank you Daves Garden):) Anyway I had a wonderful visit with you as well!
Hope everyone enjoys their week..and my box goes out tomorrow:)
Alicia
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9311622

Oh my, what a beautiful day and week-end you had, Susie and company! Good for you going down memory lane too. Those painted gourds are a hoot and love the old stuff used as props in the displays. Thank you for sharing. Bet Marti would enjoy seeing those gourds on the Robin thread since she paints them. Lots of ideas for inspiration there. I can really see the resemblance between you and your Sis :)

Crystal, all your bulbs should be planted now for Spring and later blooms. The Eucomis is small and might do better in your greenhouse until it gets better roots. You do what you think is best.
All yours can be planted now too, Candi, except the Dahlias and Calla. You know to wait til after your last frost next Spring to plant those, right?

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

October 23, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9312823

Those gourds really tickled me!
Gourd chickens! I have a friend that paints gourds. I know she will like this.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 24, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9313812

Hello to everyone! Need to send out a big THANK YOU to Alicia because my box has arrived!!!! Great bulbs--can't wait to see what gorgeous blooms I get!! And a very cute card & a little bottle of hand sanitizer also!! Now the task of putting them somewhere!! Shall be interesting!! THANKS again Alicia for the great box of bulbs!!

Have a great day everyone!

Shirley

Thumbnail by sbish5

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9313859

I Hope to get my box of goodies out by friday for my order is suppose to be here on THURSDAY After 3 wks You would think that when you order something &They say Shipped within 3 days you would have your order within a 7-10 days I let them Know they better change their slogan they apoligised & said they would get right on it .
I Have everything else ready to go .

Guess i better get this up-dated sorry for delay Everyone is way ahead of me make sure i have this right ok
IT IS VERY NICE OUT SIDE SO OFF TO PLAY IN THE GARDEN ONE LAST TIME.

FOTV SENDS TO GOLDHILLAL-------REC"D
GOLDHILLAL SENDS TO MITTSY-----REC"D
AHOOGSTRA SENDS TO SBISH5----REC"D
SBISH5 SENDS TO DEEJAY9-----REC"D
DEEJAY9 SENDS TO FOTV
FOTV---ALIKAT-------REC'D
ALIKAT---FOTV ----
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9314622

We might be a small group, but each of you are special for sharing bulbs with a fellow friend. There's nothing more cheerful after a long Winter than seeing blooms from our bulbs. Don't worry about sending to me, Susie. I'm still waiting to hear back about a bulb order, too.

Our Annual Christmas swap is now open and you're all invited to participate!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285685/
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9316303

Hi everyone! Who's finished planting your bulbs?

Susie, I did receive from Candi. It was a huge box of Daffodil bulbs, a whopping 5 pounds that will definitely keep me busy for a while. No need to amend the list until you're up to it. I'm so sorry you're sick and feeling lousy. Do not worry about sending to me til you're much better!

Any of you in the path of the hurricane, stay safe! Mittsy, I am really thinking about you now. Are you out of danger?

According to our local weather, Sandy will bring much cooler temps starting Sunday, like day time highs in the 40's and 50's for the next week which may be the pattern for a while, and a chance of our first frost Tuesday or Wednesday morning. Still have a few tenders to bring in but not many. My EE's need lifting first and will then concentrate more on the Cannas.

It's times like these I wish we all lived closer, so we could help each other if need be.

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9316763

The winds are pretty bad, some major signs came down, lots of debris. Every year our church has a major fundraiser to support our school. Yesterday the fire marshall shut us down as it was too dangerous with the high winds. Waiting to hear if we can open today at 11 as planned. I'll try to take the camera out to get some local shots. We feel safe in our building as it was built to government specifications for the space program. It's the old Pan Am building, rehabbed into condos. Praying that no tourists or locals try to surf today as the rip currents have the double red flags flying. Much too dangerous.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9320199

I finally found a box so should be able to get it mailed out by the deadline. Yeah! Got my pictures all printed out too, so I'm ready to pack up. The box will be full! Sure hope my swap buddy likes my selection!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9320489

I'm glad you're in a secure building, Mittsy. Candi, I haven't checked other threads today but do hope you came through the storm unscathed. Videos and news reports are horrifying.

Susie, you have simply spoiled me. I received quite a selection of bulbs, a 2016 Calendar that will live in my car. The garden scenes are breathtaking. The miniature Gourds and Pumpkins are adorable. Will see if I can put together a mini Fall garden using these. Somebody took the time to add a crocheted top to the dishcloth along with an applique for Virginia. Our state tree is the Dogwood and our state bird is the Cardinal. Both are depicted. There's also a cloth covered jar filled with potpourri and a bag of seeds and more bulbs. This orange bag has made the rounds and is the one I used (two years ago?) to mail Susie's seeds for the Robin. I got a kick out of seeing it again. I'm going to find a special place in the gardens for my pretty purple painted rock the size of a grapefruit.

Thank you for all you do for us, Susie! Much appreciated more than you can imagine.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine      

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 31, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9320875

Hello everyone, 1st off--hope everyone is warm and safe out there in "storm land"!!!

Love the hand painted rock Susie!! Did you paint it yourself??? Love the "little" handmade gifts like that from my kids/grandkids!!! The pic below is "one" of the "little treasures" I received from my kids on mothers day 3 years ago(painted on drift wood) (I bring it in every year so it will last "forever"!!!!!)
And you are right Susan---Susie has been great since I have been on here---but coming from me I think you need to be included in that also!!! Your being willing to do a "postage deal" with someone you did not know and Susie being willing to "share" seeds with someone she did not know was what got me "going" on here!!! So a big THANK YOU to both of you!!!
It has been great so far and I am really glad to be here!!

Have a great day everyone!!
Shirley

Thumbnail by sbish5

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9320931

TY Shirley What a keep sake " thank you for sharing .
"We all here on DG was New at One time & it was others members who helped me get started & to many of them I promised to Help others & one day it will be your turn to repay the kindness.
Just be cautious for there are some who will not hold their side of the trade so just be sure to check out FEED BACK when you do a trade with someone . & you should leave feed back & ask them to leave you feed back .

As you can tell I'm Not an Artist but i do like painting a few rocks :) glad you like Fruity :) I'm so proud of all of you for sharing with each other
WHO Said small groups can't have a good swap :) HEHE I Love all my Irises & Bulbs I received .

& Shirley I Do hope you will Mark your calendar FOR SAT JUNE 1st 2013 For you are only Less then 2hrs from me & would love to invite you to our 5th yr in SPRING SWAP IN THE PARK it will be posted when time gets closer :))))

well off to get caught up have a great day
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 2, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9322550

gm EVERYONE!!

Susie, will definitely try to make it on June 1st!!! Hopefully this chance to "meet" will go better than the last time we tried!! That ended in neither one of us being able to show:(
So much for well intentions right!!! But would love to be able to attend one of your swaps and meet some of the people from here!!

And , yes, unfortunately I already know and have found out the hard way that some will not hold their end of the swap/trade:( But , on the other side of that , thankfully, there are plenty of others like you and Susan that gave me a chance to show that I would indeed send you the money order ( no paypal account) and hold up my end of the deal!! THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Have a great weekend everyone--off to work in Christmas town for me!
Shirley

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

November 2, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9322565

I am so glad to hear everyone is safe! I still have bulbs to get in the ground, and plants. Hopefully I will get them in today @ naptime! Hope everyone is not just safe, but well!
Alicia

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9322824

You Will NOT be Sorry if you can make it but if you Miss it you will surely KICK Yourself :))))) Right Alicia :)
Hope you get your bulbs in the ground soon :)

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

November 2, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9323102

Susies swaps are SOOOOO much fun! Well worth any trip! You will be blessed if you come, trust me:) I've adopted Susie, (I didn't even ask her if it was OK:) I am excited to meet you and I am sure everyone else will be too!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9323557

Shirley Bring a truck if you can :)
Well Looks as If there is One Last Box to Arrive & Sure it will land sometime this next week So This is still open :))

I just have to say again you all are great & I look forward to Next fall's trade & hope you will join us then also.
well off to town once again Only with my purse this time :)

FOTV SENDS TO GOLDHILLAL-------REC"D
GOLDHILLAL SENDS TO MITTSY-----REC"D
AHOOGSTRA SENDS TO SBISH5----REC"D
SBISH5 SENDS TO DEEJAY9-----REC"D
DEEJAY9 SENDS TO FOTV----REC"D
FOTV---ALIKAT-------REC'D
ALIKAT---FOTV ----REC:D
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9324473

Alicia, your box should be arriving very soon. Start watching your mailbox.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9326440

Here'a a few pictures I what I sent: Spider Lily, Yellow Walking Iris, Canna Florence Vaughn, I don't have a picture of the Casablanca white Alstroemeria, or the pink rain lilies. I sure hope it arrives soon. I mailed a pot to Susie on the same day and she has received it already. Both going to Michigan I would think they'd arrive together.

Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy   Thumbnail by mittsy      

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9326743

I'm sure they did ALICIA Is proble busy with the daycare kids & will post soon . its going to warm up this week for us so i hope that I can get more of my bulbs in the ground :) wishing you all a great day :)
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
2:27 AM

Post #9327607

I did get a dmail from her and she did receive them.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9327664

That is good Hear .
ALICIA When you have time can you come share what you rec'd with us please ? going to be warm today for going to get the rest of my Bulbs In the ground later today .

Fruity did you get all yours in the Ground yet :) HEhe
Mittsy enjoy your winter in FLA Guess you got out of NY just in time .

Lots to read this morning ya all have a great day .
susie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9328295

Not yet but am steadily working on them between lifting Cannas. Just about finished with those. I quit trying to play color match so much with the new bulbs and decided to just mix a bunch together and plant here and there in bare spots. Should be interesting come Spring. A few though, I'm holding back to plant in pots, like those lovely Double Tulips. Really do enjoy putting together container gardens.

How's everybody else doing getting yours planted?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9351699

Happy Birthday, Mittsy! Hope you had a good day, dear lady, and did something just for you.

Bulbs are in the ground except a few I'm holding back and will use the stack method in pots with them next week when my SIL is here. Tulips, Crocus, Daffs, Alliums...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

December 6, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9351830

sounds like a plan show us BEFORE & AFTER WILL YA ???
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9351986

Will do.

I hope everyone will show their new bulbs blooming in the Spring too.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9352208

The freesias I planted are looking wonderful, about 8" tall!. Can't wait to get my camera back. Hope to get back to Vero Beach this week to pick it up.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America