Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gardening by the Moon: Moon Gardening Calendar - October 2012

Communities > Forums > Gardening by the Moon
bookmark
Forum: Gardening by the MoonReplies: 27, Views: 209
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9290262

As usual, the Calendar I always put first in the thread is the Farmer's Almanac because some people follows it, then I continue with the one I use, the Biodynamic system.

One of the element in Biodynamic, is the planting calendar,which has to do with the cosmic timing of activities in the garden, much of the timing for work to be carried out according to the biodynamic system is to do with the movement of the moon through the Zodiac. Moon

October 2012
1st-2nd A Barren Period.

3rd-4th Good Days For Planting Beets, Carrots, Onions, Turnips And Other Hardy Root Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable. Good Days For Transplanting.

5th-6th Poor Days For Planting, Seeds Tend To Rot In The Ground.

7th-8th Plant Fall Potatoes, Turnips, Onions, Carrots, Beets And Other Root Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable. Also Plant Seedbeds, Flower Gardens. Good Days For Transplanting.

9th-13th Grub Out Weeds, Briars, And Other Plant Pests.

14th-15th Good Planting Days: First For Root Crops. Last Day For Beans, Peas, Squash, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes And Other Aboveground Crops, In Southern Florida, Texas, And California. Both Days Fine For Sowing Hay, Fodder Crops, And Grains. Plant Flowers.

16th-17th Plant Aboveground Crops And Vegetables Such As Lettuce, Cabbage, Kale And Celery, Where Climate Is Suitable. Start Seedbeds.

18th-20th Do Clearing And Plowing, But No Planting.

21st-22nd Plant Tomatoes, Peas, Beans And Other Aboveground Crops, Indoors In The North, Outdoors In Lower South.

23rd-25th Poor Planting Days. Kill Poison Ivy, Weeds, Clear Land, But Do No Planting.

26th-27th Good Days For Planting Aboveground Crops, Extra Good For Vine Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable.

28th-29th A Barren Period.

30th-31st Good Days For Planting Beets, Carrots, Onions, Turnips And Other Hardy Root Crops, Where Climate Is Suitable. Good Days For Transplanting.

Biodynamic Moon Zodiac Calendar
October 1st.
You could make your own cloche or buy horticultural fleece to protect your winter vegetables from the frosts time that is coming your way.

Leaf day
Sign Pisces
Moon Full Moon

Synodic:
Sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials. 

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants Cabbage, Coriander, Cress, Fennel, Kale, winter Lettuce, Salad Endive, Mint, Parsley, Spinach.
These Oriental and Chinese vegetables are more resistant to cold weather, you can sow : Pak Choi, Mizuna, Mustard or Japanese Spinach Leaves, Mustard Greens, Chinese Cabbage any variety.
Do not sow Fruit plants. Beans, Peas.
Fruits Harvested now should be eaten.

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: This water sign promotes root growth.

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9291425

October 2 - 3 - 4

Fruit day
Sign Aries
Moon Full Moon

It is time to put the vegetable garden to rest and if possible add some organic manure into your vegetables beds, you can leave mulch material on top of the soil.

Synodic:
Sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials if your climate permits.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aries: Fire sign. Fruit day

Sidereal:
Moon in Aries: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9294021

Fruit Days

FRUIT are associated with the Fire constellations (Aries,Leo, Saggitarius) Warmth or fire signs are favourable for fruit plants. The Moon's influence is channeled into the fruit and seed of the plant.

Use Fruit Days for all fruits (currant cranberry, strawberries, raspberries, apples, plums)...as well as all fruiting vegetables plants whose seed fruit we harvest: buckwheat, beans, broad bean, peas, grains, cucumbers, squashes, lentils, corn, peppers, capsicums, rice, soya, tomatoes, courgettes, pumpkins. zucchini, strawberries and fruit trees.

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9294194

Thank you, Cristina for keeping us informed. It is much appreciated.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9295029

My pleasure Evelyn,

Here some little hints:
Also with Aries,Leo and Saggitarius, on Fruit days you can

~ Plant or replant the seedlings of fruit plants,
~Prune fruit trees during a descending moon (sap is drawn down to the roots)
~ If you sow fruiting vegetables on a waxing moon on fruit days, the fruit size will be better.
~ Fertilize fruit plants and vegetables (tomatoes,cucumber..) on a waning moon, whilst the soil is inhaling and absorbing, ideally on fruit days,
~ Graft fruit trees/shrubs and harvest fruits and fruiting vegetables for storage on an ascending moon (whilst the sap is rising, ideally on fruit days.
~ The very best seeds are obtained from a Fire sign Full Moon. Planting now, you get quality seeds for next year.
~ Also you can plant garlic, leeks, onions, peppers or chicory and you’ll be assured of looking for an exceptionally spicy crop, even when they are root crops.
~This is an excellent time for any cultivating, tilling or plowing.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9296119

October 5 - 6

Root day
Sign Taurus
Moon Waning gibbous

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: Earth sign. Sow Root plants Garlic, Winter Radishes, Onion Sets, Shallots sets Onions, Radish, Spring Onion.
Do not sow Flower plants

Sidereal:
Moon in Taurus: Sow Root vegetable crops especially when hardiness in drought conditions is needed.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9296950

Roots days are associated with Earth signs (Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo), the energy of the Moon is focused into the roots of the plant. Planting now you will get strong, hardy well-anchored plants.

Root vegetables are divided into : Tap Roots, Tuberous Roots, Corms, Rhizomes, Tubers, and bulbs.

Tubers differ from other roots in that they are swollen underground stems, capable of producing new plants and storing energy for the parent plant. If the parent plant dies, the underground tubers can create new plants. Other roots can take nutrients from the ground, but cannot store energy or use it for reproduction. So while every tuber is a root vegetable, not all roots are tubers.

Tubers = Potato, sunchoke, yam

Tap Roots = beet, carrot, cassava, jicama, parsnip, radish, rutabaga, salsifi, sugarbeet, turnip. Horseradish is a tap root mainly use as condiment.

Tuberous Roots = Sweet potato, yucca.

Corms = Celeriac, eddo, taro, water chestnut.

Rhizomes = Arrowroot, galangal, ginger, ginseng, lotus root, turmeric.

Bulbs = garlic, onion, spring onions ((also known as scallion, salad onion, onion stick, green shallot, or green onion in many countries), shallot, leeks, chives...
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9296958

October 7 – 8 -9

Flower day
Sign Gemini
Moon Last quarter

Synodic:
Garden Maintenance. Wedding and Harvesting. Start building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Gemini: Air sign. Sow Flower plants. Do not sow Root plants

Sidereal:
Moon in Gemini: Barren and dry, and yet good for promoting flower growth.
Sidereal: October 9
Moon in Cancer: This is a good time for germination.
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 7, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9298564

christina -- strange unrelated gardening question for you concerning moon signs.

I'm wanting to wean an 8 month old goat. I remember reading there is a moon time to wean and my dad says it is when the "blood is in the legs". I've researched and found out that is best when the blood is below the knee -- Aquarius.

Now I am trying to find when this is in October and no matter how hard I look, all I find is October horoscopes, which does not interest me.

Can you direct me to a site to find this out or do you happen to know when the moon is in Aquarius in October?

Thanks! I realize this is asking a bit much, but I do appreciate you knowledge.

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9298952

Greta, good question. So in case anyone is interested there is a zodiac sign for every zone of the body.

Each Zodiac sign corresponds with a body zone and organ function. Beginning with:

Aries the body zones affected are the head, brain, eyes and nose.
Taurus governs the larynx, thyroid, teeth, jaws, tonsils and ears.
Gemini is the shoulders, arms and hands.
Cancer is chest, lungs, stomach, liver and gall bladder.
Leo has control of the heart, back, diaphragm and arteries.
Virgo is digestive organs, nerves, spleen and pancreas.
Libra is hips, kidneys and bladder.
Scorpio is sex organs. Sagittarius is the thigh and veins.
Capricorn is knee, bones, joints and skin.
Aquarius the lower legs and veins, and
Pisces is the feet and toes.

The Zodiac signs with the element of fire influence the sense organs. Those with earth elements control blood circulation. The element of air is the glandular system and water the nervous system.

Concerning your question I disagree a bit with your dad and even my notes tell me that:

The best time to wean a calf is when the zodiac sign is getting near the feet (Pisces). The calf will cry less.

Here you find calendar:

http://www.lunarium.co.uk/calendar/universal.jsp

If there is any other question, ... any time
Good luck!

Note if for any reason you cannot do it on a Pisces moon, Capricorn, Aquarius and Sagittarius can do the trick.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2012 8:05 PM

This message was edited Oct 7, 2012 8:08 PM
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9298964

Greta I have to fix the link twice, for one reason or another did not work...
I think that now is working
Cristina

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9299267

cristina, my neighbor said he always weaned a calf anytime the signs were below the knees.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9299707

Yes Darius, that is very true, but Sagittarius being a fiery sign ( the mos "gentle" of them} is good to terminate anything, that is what the old people say. But finish too quickly without giving any time for the system to adjust itself,
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9299938

October 10 - 11

Leaf day
Sign Cancer
Moon Waning crescent

Synodic:
Garden Maintenance. Wedding and Harvesting. Start building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants Cabbage, Coriander, Cress, Fennel, Kale, winter Lettuce, Salad Endive, Mint, Parsley, Spinach.
These Oriental and Chinese vegetables are more resistant to cold weather, you can sow : Pak Choi, Mizuna, Mustard or Japanese Spinach Leaves, Mustard Greens, Chinese Cabbage any variety.
Do not sow Fruit plants Broad Beans, Peas.

Sidereal:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign (Pisces, Scorpio, Cancer) are considered the most productive signs, even more so than Earth signs. Cancer is the most beneficial for germination

Sidereal: October 11
Moon in Leo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.
gretagreenthumb
Wichita Falls, TX

October 9, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9300581

cristina, thanks! We plan to continue milking the goat. . . hoping to get a bit more.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 10, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9301843

October 12 - 13

Fruit day
Sign Leo
Moon Waning crescent

Synodic:
Garden maintenance. Produce especially fruit harvest will keep well for longer.Building a new compost heap or work on the existing one.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Leo: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants Broad Beans, Peas if climate is suitable. Do not sow Leaf plants Cabbages, Lettuce.

Sidereal:
Moon in Leo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9302642

October 14 - 15

Root day
Sign Virgo
Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals Lettuce, Spinach. Harvest produce will store for longer.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Virgo: Earth sign. Sow Root plants, Do not sow Flower plants. Fruits Harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9303441

Garlic, onion , spring bulbs are some roots that you can plant now.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9303460

Cristina ~ I understood you to say in an earlier post that flower bulbs (spring bulbs), were to be planted on a "flower day".
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9303996

evelyn Hi, depend on you. For lovely flowers, plant them in flower day by all means, but if you want propagation of your bulbs you will still have flowers, perhaps just normal flowers , no spectacular but you will collect a lot of bulbs.

When I was young, many moons ago and short of money I used to do this, and I did build up a good number of bulbs, corms, in the following years I planted those propagated ones in a flower day. It did work wonders for me and I still do it when I want a new/ rare bulb plant.

By the way, do you know that a Daylily is in reality a tuber ...
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9304012

Thanks. Now for another experiment.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9305069

I love your experiments Evelyn, Good Luck!

October 16 - 17
Flower day
Sign Libra
Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals: Lettuce, Spinach, Cabbage, Sprouts, also Grains as cover crops. Harvest produce for long storage.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Libra: Air sign. This is a good time to sow Flowering plants, Do not sow Root plants. Fruits/ produce harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

Sidereal: October 17
Moon in Libra: Sow green manures or cover crops
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9306373

October 18 - 19

Leaf day
Sign Scorpio
Moon Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber also Grain.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Scorpio: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants. These Oriental and Chinese vegetables are more resistant to cold weather, you can sow : Pak Choi, Mizuna, Mustard or Japanese Spinach Leaves, Mustard Greens, Chinese Cabbage any variety.
Salad burnet, Sanguisorba officinalis, is another green that can be grow in a cold frame in winter
Coriander and chervil best sown by the end of August, but sowings under cover in October could still work.
spring cabbage can be sown under cover to plant out in spring
Do not sow Fruit plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Scorpio: An excellent time for planting and germination..
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9308310

October 20 - 21

Fruit day
Sign Sagittarius
Moon Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber also Grain.
Synodic for October 21 :
Sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Sagittarius: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants Broad Beans, Peas. Do not sow Leaf plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Sagittarius: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9310057

October 22 - 23 - 24
Root day
Sign Capricorn
Moon First quarter

Synodic:
Sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Capricorn: Earth sign. Sow Root plants like Jerusalem Artichokes. Do not sow Flower plants.

Sidereal:
Moon in Capricorn: Potatoes and tubers planted now will have a strong growth.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9312512

October 25 - 26

Flower day
Aquarius
Waxing gibbous

Synodic:
This is a good time to sow vegetables that produce internal seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aquarius: Air sign. Sow Flowering plants. Do not sow Rooting plants like Jerusalem Artichokes.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aquarius: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.
Sidereal:for October 26
Moon in Pisces: best sign for planting soft fruit. It is a time of maximum water intake for plants.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 24, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9314396

October 27 - 28

Leaf day
Sign Pisces
Moon Waxing gibbous

Synodic:
Sow vegetables that produce seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants Cabbage, Coriander, Cress, Fennel, Kale, winter Lettuce, Salad Endive, Mint, Parsley, Spinach.
Do not sow Fruit plants. Beans, Peas.
Fruits Harvested now should be eaten.

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: This water sign promotes root growth.
cristina
Temuco
Chile
(Zone 9b)

October 28, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9318314

October 29 - 30 - 31

Fruit day
Sign Aries
Moon Full Moon

Synodic:

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aries: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants: Broad Beans, Peas. Do not sow Leaf plants: Cabbages, Lettuce.
Fruits Harvested now should be eaten straight away.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aries: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance
Sidereal for October 31:
Moon in Taurus: Sow Root vegetable.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Gardening by the Moon Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Moon calendar? nivlac 13 Jul 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Welcome to the Gardening by the Moon forum dave 67 Dec 27, 2008 6:47 AM
Those who know how to read an almanac defoecat 81 Jul 10, 2007 1:03 AM
Moon Phases threegardeners 9 Jul 11, 2007 9:59 PM
Here's what I'd started last year .. Magpye 24 Jul 21, 2007 4:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America