Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: Please help me ID these caladiums

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 7, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9290525

I posted this message in the Aroids forum, but haven't received a response. So I'm re-posting in the Plant ID forum, hoping that someone will suggest possibilities. Here's my original post:

I dug up my caladiums (maybe too late for one of the plants) and I'm planning to store them for the winter. I have about 10 different varieties, but I've lost the markers to 4 of them. When I checked several different websites and Google images, I couldn't find close-enough matches to accurately label them before storage. These 4 could even be hybrids of the ones I already have identified. The color of #2 may not be true since it looks as though a cold night nipped the foliage. (I uploaded the photos in order, but they seem to have a mind of their own.) Thanks for looking and for suggesting possibilities.

Thumbnail by 1alh1   Thumbnail by 1alh1   Thumbnail by 1alh1   Thumbnail by 1alh1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9290886

Afraid I can't give you names, but I can give you a couple links to help in your search, hopefully.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=caladiums&searcher[species]=&searcher[cultivar]=&searcher[hybridizer]=&searcher[grex]=&search_prefs[blank_cultivar]=&search_prefs[sort_by]=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search&searcher[genus]=Caladium

http://classiccaladiumsllc.com/varieties/varieties.htm
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9291035

In an instance like that, I would give each one a number, or your own names, and store a picture of what each one (corresponding to your number or name) looks like on your computer. Then the names don't matter.
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9291630

Thank you both for your suggestions. Classic Caladiums was one of the websites I checked before posting. I think I'll email them the photos and see if they can help. I also checked the DG caladiums, but I couldn't find any close matches. I'll leave this post open and see if anyone else responds. If I'm unsuccessful, perhaps I'll give my "hybrids" new names!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2012
11:54 PM

Post #9291665

Check the ones with pink against "Carolyn Whorton." The last one could be Fannie Munson or Brandywine. It is hard to say as there are variables, depending on stage of maturity and the amount of light they receive. Fannie Munson and Brandywine both started out like that, but as they grew, the red deepened and expanded.

I hae a post on the aroids forum and one on the bulbs forum. Bill from CaladiumBulbs4Less often checks in. He is very knowledgeable and nice. You can also check his website.

Marcia
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9293101

I checked Caladiums4less before posting, too, but apparently there's either a problem with the website or he's sold out of everything. I have my Carolyn Whorton plants labeled, and none of the photos I posted looks like my Carolyn Whorton. Of course, my bulbs may have been mislabeled to begin with! I also looked at images of Brandywine and Fannie Munson...LOTS of variation. In fact, very few named hybrids look exactly alike on various websites or in catalogs unless the same photo was used by different companies. So confusing. I'm still going to send the photos in to Classic Caladiums or to Caladiums4less and see what they think. Maybe I should just number them as purpleinopp suggested and be happy that they've done so well. Thanks everyone.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9293566

Before you go further, post here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272932/
or
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1215614/

You'll get a better, faster response from really knowledgeable who are willing to share. I started these threads, and while the response has not been overwhelming, I have learned so much.
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9295340

No response yet from Bill at Caladiums4Less, but I reposted on the first of the 2 threads that cathy166 recommended. Like many others, I wish we had a Caladium forum!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America