Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Will Chicken Wire Support Lonicera Sempervirens?

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

September 30, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9290829

I've just bought and planted 2 lonicera sempervirens in front of a tall, wide cedar fence. But it's a smooth fence, not a plank- or stake-type fence, so am I right in assuming that the vines won't climb up it? If I were not on a budget, I would buy trellis supports. If I were not chronically ill/disabled, I would build trellis supports. So, since I have chicken wire lying around, would it work to cover the fence with the chicken wire, leaving a few inches between the wire and the fence? Would the vines eventually cover the ugly chicken wire? If this would not work, what other options do you suggest? If I absolutely have to buy trellises, I will, but I'm hoping for a less expensive solution.

Thanks,
Shayna
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9297892

I would suggest you plant a shrub that gets tall and let it scramble through that. It won't be full enough to cover a chicken wire fence. You could also just randomly screw cup hooks into the fence and weave the vines through those.
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

October 7, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9298463

Thanks, Kay. The shrubs are an idea I hadn't thought of. I planted the honeysuckle already close to the fence, but I could probably still dig them up, plant shrubs, and re-plant the vines in front of them. It might be the most aesthetically pleasing solution.

The easiest solution--and the least expensive one--at this point would be to skip getting new shrubs, leave the vines where they are, and go with screw eyes and wire. The wire is close to the color as the fence, so it might not show up much. Also, the vines might cover the wire pretty well--at least I hope they will. (If the vines don't grow as voluptuously as I'm expecting, I might get a third L. sempervirens to add more coverage at some point if needed.)

Anyway, I'll ponder your shrub idea vs the screw eyes and wire and see what happens.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9298497

You would plant the shrubs in FRONT of the vines - they will go over the vines and up the fence - that's how I grow mine.
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

October 7, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9298646

[quote="KayJones"]You would plant the shrubs in FRONT of the vines - they will go over the vines and up the fence - that's how I grow mine.[/quote]

Do you have a picture of that? I don't understand what you mean.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9298668

The computer I'm on doesn't have any pictures and the other one (with the pictures) is being used right now. I will post one as soon as I have access to the other pc.

I'm not sure what you aren't understanding. You have your vines up against the fence - just plant your shrubs in front of those, and they will grow together - the shrubs will support the vines.
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

October 7, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9298676

Won't the shrubs hide the vines, too? The whole point is that I *love* trumpet honeysuckle, which stays in bloom for many months (quite rare here in MA) and attracts hummingbirds. So what don't understand is whether or not I'll be able to see the vines.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9298773

You will be surprised at how fast and tall the Lonicera vines will grow - much taller and faster than the shrubs.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America