Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: TEA ROOM #113

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 206, Views: 1,454
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 30, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9291235

Good morning everyone. The first of the new month so here we are back near the road.
I hope you can all smell the delicious Jasmine flowering now.

we came from here..
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1277846/#top

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ❃ ❂ ❁ ❀ HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLEEN ❃ ❂ ❁ ❀ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩
I hope everyone can find us as we are sharing some yummy birthday cake with Charleen today.
Thats if Charley and T Bo dont get to it first.

I had better go make sure the door is closed .

Its a dull morning here again but hopefully we may see the sun later.
Old Sun is very lazy here at the moment.
He doesnt get out of bed until after lunch so not much time to enjoy the warmth.
All very well for him to be wrapped up in his cloud blanket, but my plants need him shining.

I hope everyone had a great weekend . Sounds like Teresa and Al did anyway.

Anthony, what did you get up too down there ?

Dianne, I have my lovely wisteria coming out .
I must get out this morning to get a few flower pics. I grew the wisteria from seed and have one plant as bonsai and the other in the garden as a standard.

I had a flower this year on my bonsai nectarine. It is inside the shadehouse so wont get pollinated .
It is the first time it has flowered since I did it about 6 years ago.

The Trash & Treasure is getting closer. Only a few weeks to go.
I am lucky this year as a lot of the plants are going to have flowers . Usually its either too late or too early for them.

I hope to sell them all and have pocket money to buy more...lol

Better move myself and get the camera out for those flower pics .
Just in case I miss tomorrow . ... ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ Happy Birthday also for Chrissy for tomorrow ...♫ ♬ ♪ ♩

I am off outside now. I must have woken the sun up, he is starting to peep through his cloud blanket.

Happy day all
Keep safe
Jean.

This message was edited Oct 1, 2012 8:51 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

September 30, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9291347

Happy Birthday Charleen. I do hope you have a wonderful day. Tried to upload a pic, but it didn't work.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2012 4:36 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9291352

Well...looks like birthday wishes are in store for Charleen and Chrissy both.

Best wishes for a happy, sunny day with lots of laughter and good cheer...and CAKE...both chocolate...one fancy and one decadent...GRIN

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9291382

What a beautiful Cake. yes, Please don't let Charley or T Bo see that cake they will want to eat it all. They are such greedy babies. I have them both rotten. Hope Charley is under his carport, it is raining. The dogs didn't want to go out but we got them out and in and none of them melted away...
Oooooo!!!!Yummy! i am going to gain weight just from looking at these beautiful cakes. Charley and TBo can't eat Chocolate

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 30, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9291490

Charleen, love the little dogs & cat. . Is that Cheeky Charley there ?
I wont want any lunch with all these delicious cakes..yummmm

The sun is out here, I hope its out for everyone else too.
Enjoy the day.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 30, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9291554

Happy Birthday Charleen and many, many more to come...
Beautiful cakes Moon, I'll have a taste of each...

These are 2 of my favourite Azaleas...Anna Kehr and Ray's fave Jezebel...
Though with Alba Magnifica being perfumed as well as a rapid grower...it would have to go on the favourite's list...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger      

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 1, 2012
12:57 AM

Post #9291679

Hi everyone ...looks like everyone has enjoyed their day.
Our long weekend just flew by in no time flat. So much to do ...

What lovely pictures and comments ...the Wisteria and Mandarin, Jasmine and Manure scent the air ^_^

Ahhh Spring fragrance is all around.

Love the Autumn too Charleen Moon and Al ...hope you are enjoying yours too.

Must get dinner ready ...
Enjoy your evening everyone !

chrissy

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 1, 2012
2:26 AM

Post #9291708

Happy birthday 'Charleys mum' and Cocky said to say 'what are you doin' you silly old bugger'- with a 'eh?' on the end

Thumbnail by g_whizz

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9291924

Have a great birthday Charleen! Hope you don't get a birthday kick from ole' Charley, could be painful.

Howcom I didn't know about this two days ago when all the Aussies did? Must have something to do with the time zone difference. Anyway, have a Happy one!

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9292096

They are a day ahead of us Al. Isn't it wonderful???
Hello cocky, Charley was wondering how you were doing and When are we going on another cyber trip. He missed you sitting on his head as navigator...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 1, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9292581

Good morning everyone.
Still in grey days here. I wonder where Spring went. It popped in for a day or two then ran off.
The way the weather is changing by the hour here, I would not be surprised to see Summer stick his big head in all too soon.

I weeded a bit yesterday and sorted the zygo house . I have sold a few so now have room to put the cold brugs in there for summer.
I also pulled out a lot of violets which seem to go mad here. I needed more space and air around my hippie pots so now I will have to watch those sneaky violets dont take over again..

Hello Al. I always forget you are behind us over there and put up birthdays etc a day early.
Never mind, it gives us all more time to eat all the cake.

Charleen, we may have to come and visit you again to see T Bo in person for a cuddle .
I donr know about Cocky, he can be a bit bossy.
Anthony will have to teach him not to bite poor Tilly when Dianne brings her along.
I'll have to see what Carpet is doing . I havent seen him lately.
I have a feeling he has wandered off to see rellies in Egypt or somewhere.

Hello Anthony, Cocky is certainly looking very well. You really spoil him .
Hope you are being surrounded in lovely lilium plants.
Looking forward to seeing you win lots of prizes again this season.

Chrissy, one of the best things about this time of year is the scent which floats around the garden.
The tiny alyssum flowers are so l sweet when massed together. The scent drifts around everywhere.
Now I await Jasmine to do her thing .

Dianne, I am coming down to "borrow "your azaleas.
I am going to try again this year with them.
I will only use rain water on them and see how they do.

Hello Moon, Kare, Teresa and everyone popping in for a cuppa.

Hers your treat for morning tea. ...Baklava..

A sweet nibble as a change from all that birthday cake we have just consumed..
Happy day and keep safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

October 1, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9292625

Happy Birthday to Chrissy. Hope you have a beautiful day.

Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 1, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9292678

Good morning everyone. Happy birthday Chrissy. I missed Charleen's yesterday but really it is today so Happy birthday Charleen. I missed out on all the cake, I think Charlie and his friends made sure that they cleaned it all up. If they were "cream" cakes we would have known who did that. The weather is really strange over here. One minute you have a T-shirt on and the next you have a jumper on again. No rain as such though. When John came up last time, he brought up a desk for the boys. Well, Cameren has claimed it as his and you should see him with it. It's out here in the living area and he has his pencils and textas etc all lined up and his set of plastic drawers that have all the craft stuff in is right at hand. It keeps him amused for hours. The yellow Clivia is putting on a lovely show this year. It has 3 huge flower heads this year. The buds on the flavas are slowly growing. Can't wait to see what we get. The special one of Brian's Golden Memories has been cut up and is now starting to send out little leaves so, Chrissy and Shaun, Shouldn't be too much longer til I get your pieces off to you. It will be lovely if it always has 6-sided flowers. Happy gardening everyone and I'll catch up again soon. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 1, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9292705

Good morning everyone and thankyou ...truth is I don't count my birthday much any more (not since the 60 th).

Another lovely Spring day ahead. I have things to attend to but will pop back later for a chat ... I hope you all have a wonderful day/night ^_^

thanks again for the yummy cakes !
For you all ❤♫❤♫❤.•*¨`*•..¸♥☼♥¸.•*¨`*•.♫❤♫
❤♫❤
░❤________/)______./¯"""/') ❤░✿✿°☆ . ¸. *
░❤¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\)¯¯¯¯¯'\_„„„„\)¸♥☼♥¸.•*¨`*•.♫❤♫❤♫❤
❤♫❤♫❤.•*¨`*•..¸♥☼♥¸.•*¨`*•.♫❤♫❤♫❤

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 1, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9292735

Just as well I said Happy Birthday yesterday to Chrissy while I was putting out Charleens birhtday cake.
I just forgot this morning so...

♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ☆ ✮ ✯ HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISSY ☆ ✮ ✯ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩

More cake for us all to munch into...

Colleen, my flavas are looking good so I hope they all flower next year.

Yes , I thought of Brian when I put the cream on the cakes...lol

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 2, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9293854

Good morning everyone. Today is looking to be another beautiful Spring day like yesterday.
No wind and lots of sun. So nice to be out & about.

I planted a few brugs into the ground and repotted some. Now there is lots of room for the new babies when they grow.
I really must get out today and take some flower pics. I have some gorgeous bluebells this year.
Not blue, more of a lilac . My wisteria surprised me with the amount of flowers on such a small plant. Its only 5
high but I must get a stronger pole in before it gets too much bigger.

My beans are all doing well and I can see that lots will be going in the freezer.

I am waiting on the ground to warm a little so I can get the pumpkins in..

Hello Al, Charleen and Moon. Thanks for sending some sun over . I hope you are all not feeling too cold just yet and enjoying your Fall.

Hello Teresa, Dianne, Karen , Anthony, Colleen and Chrisssy.
Lots of garden things going on in all your gardens now that Spring has properly arrived.

I am off to enjoy the day as I potter a round removing any weeds not caught by the Roundup.

Heres something nice to enjoy with your morning cuppa...Chocolate Coconut Slice

Happy day. stay safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 2, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9294172

Just been out enjoying the Spring sunshine and took a few flower pics.

pic..1 one of my dendrobium orchids. .. tag says King Orchid.
pic 2 cymbidium.. Carisan Firedance
pic..3 daisie & wallflowers
pic..4 lilac bluebells.
pic. 5 orange clivias

Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 2, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9294181

Couple more...

pic...6 yellow clivia
pic ..7 wisteria
pic ..8 one of the many large clumps of echium ..Pride of Madeira
pic ..9 ever flowering alogyne.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 2, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9294336

Just got home a little while ago ...wow Jean, I remember when we first began talking about our gardens years ago, and you and most of us complained our orchids would not bloom no matter what. They sure are blooming for you now aren't they ?

What a treat to look around your garden. It's a real Spring Garden !
Lovely yellow Clivia wow !

My Hippies are all out.

Bye for now ...enjoy your evening everyone !

chrissy

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9294499

What a beautiful Spring, you all are having. so glad it is warming up a bit. It is cooling and so comfortably wonderful.
T Bo laying here at my feet. Hubby said I was "protecting him while he slept" I put my foot on him and he is just as contented as can be. My baby is up to 22 lbs. He is growing. I'll try to get you some pictures of him. Want to take camera and go for a walk, so I'll be sure and take one of him. Sometimes he gets the hiccups. I tell him "he is growing with each hic cup...
Want to take some pictures of some baby trolls I've been working on.
Happy Birthday Chrissy, hope your day was wonderful.
Yep, Charley ready for a carpet ride.
Hugs and nuzzles to all...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 3, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9294971

Good morning everyone. Off to Hamilton this morning so I am rushing in to put out the morning tea nibbles then off . Its the day for my annual hearing aid checkup.

We will have a nice lunch out so nothing will get done in the garden until late afternoon.

Hello to everyone looking in.

Charleen, I have left a message in Carpets cupboard, If he ever gets back from where ever he is , we'll have a nice trip somewhere.

Enjoy the lovely weather and stay safe .

Heres something nice for you all ...Apple and Blueberry Shortcake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 3, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9295003

mmmm yum Jean don't forget the cream. Good morning everyone. Looks as though it is going to be another lovely day. Hippys already Chrissy. Our's over here don't usually flower til Christmas or there abouts. The Epis are going to be a bit earlier this year I think. Oh what a show they are going to be. I think that I will have to get some shade of sorts over them though. They are outside now and will get a fair amount of afternoon sun. Have been madly potting baby brugs. The boys go and get the potting soil out of the trailer and fetch it to the potting bench and then after they are potted they move them for me. They planted some snow peas the other day,again. The chooks love them, but we've put some protection around them and hopefully they wont jump over the top this time. Might go and get some corn plants this morning and give them another try too. I don't have much luck with corn . It just doesn't want to grow but my son said to make a furrow with a channel on either side and put the plants on the furrow and water them from both sides. We'll give them a try anyway. Must go, the boys are moving so the day has started. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 3, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9295033

Hi everyone ...off to the Hospital, hubby might be allowed home tomorrow hopefully.
Enjoy your day ! 30C here expected.
Talk later. ^_^

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9295528

Oh my Chrissy. Good thoughts to you and your Hubby. I do hope he is home soonest. Best regards for a speedy recovery.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 4, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9295955

Morning everyone, rise and shine the kettle is on and Colleen is on milk duty, I hear Jean's footsteps on the path.
It's a beautiful morning and I've been on snail duty...I think that I will have to get rid of the very large Flax in the bird and lizard garden...I don't think that there are any lizards big enough to eat them all, the snails I mean.
We can't get them out so one day when I'm flush, I'll get someone in to remove the 3 of them...

My Cantuas are flowering and I love them...they are so inconspicuous during the year and so beautiful in spring...the pics don't do them justice at all.
Colleen, persevere with the corn, the kids will love it, only problem will be stopping them eating it before it matures...it is delicious when it's small...would you like some of my snails for your chooks?
have a good day.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 4, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9295963

Good morning everyone. A beautiful warm day yesterday and looks like being the same again after the light fog completely lifts.

I moved a few more brugs yesterday afternoon.
Now the coldies are all in shade for summer.
I have also moved a few of the bromeliads that will be going to the Trash & Treasure.
Lots to do today and lots of time to do the jobs as Hubby is off for the day to SA for a meeting.
I wont have to get lunch or cups of tea so can just amble around doing bits here and there.

Chrissy, hope all is well with your hubby and that he recovers very quickly.

Moon hope all is well over your way and that you are getting some lovely Fall weather.

Colleen, the corn should do well for you there as it does like the warm.
I had lots growing when I lived a bit further north in the state.
Lovely to pick straight from the plant & microwave in the husks.

Hello Teresa, hope those spotty ones are on their best behavior.
Also hope you have had all your repairs finally done.

Al, are you busy in the garden now , getting things tucked away for the winter ?
I hope you will be enjoying the fruits of your vegie garden right through winter.

Hello Charleen, I thought of you and Charley yesterday when we saw a little donkey in the paddock on the way to Hamilton.
So cute. .
I didnt see Charley around this morning. He must be off getting into mischief somewhere..

Dianne, your flowers are so pretty. I am slow this morning as I amble along enjoying all the pretty birds flying around out Tea Room gardens.

Hello to everyone else popping in. I am off outside to enjoy the sun.

Heres your morning tea nibbles. ...Chocolate Mint Brownies

Enjoy and stay safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 4, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9296136

Good morning everyone. Sorry I'm running a bit late with the milk. I had to milk the cow first. I have enough snails of my own thanks Dianne. I'm hoping that the Sleepy Lizard will eat some of them. Probably wont put a dent in them though. When I put the sprinklers on, especially out the front, they come from everywhere. The gardener's lot. Only a few more baby brugs to get potted up now. It was quite hot here yesterday so didn't get too much done outside, other than watering. The buds on the Arborea X Sanguinea are slowly getting bigger. I'm like a Mother Hen out there checking. Oh I do hope that we get something special. Well must go and get this garden bed ready for the corn. Everyone have a great day and Chrissy I do hope that hubby is feeling a lot better. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 5, 2012
12:36 AM

Post #9296348

He is back in Hospital for a second operation everyone.

Thankyou all for your kind thoughts.

I have been instructed to stay home due to the Fire threat here. Must water all around the home.
We have experienced 34C severe winds today and everything is very very dry.
Being at the end of the water line, we lose water during fires because the Fire Engines are filled from all the Hydrants, ours being the last, it leaves no pressure.In the 2001 fires there was no water for 4 days and only a dribble for two weeks.Our dam was emptied by those special water carrying helicopters, so we had nothing to fight fire with. So we must keep the grounds near the home damp as possible, it only takes one cigarette to land somewhere in these conditions and well you know the rest.

I don't like being a wet blanket, so I might be scarce until I can come in with a happy face ^_^

chrissy
Gabi65
Newcastle(NSW)
Australia
(Zone 10a)

October 5, 2012
12:41 AM

Post #9296350

I have this very loud insect in the Photinia hedge about 4 metres from my back door. Every time I go out to find it, dead silence ensues. Its sounds like, and maybe is, a cicada, but it's a bit early for them. The sound is like someone running their thumbnail up and down a plastic hair comb; with first a long and then a short Zzzztt! It sounds a bit like "zzzheep-dip"! Just the 2 syllables a few seconds apart. There is a very small black cicada like insect that likes to get on my clothes line and make a much softer, but similar, noise, but I think it arrives later in Summer.

Any clues?
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 5, 2012
12:58 AM

Post #9296353

Jean - the repairs aren't done yet... our chimney is still waiting.
Two winters, 3 snow storms & no pellet fire.

At least summer is nearly here.

I took some lettuce seedlings in to work, they were enthusiastically received might dig up some more for the rest of the crew.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 5, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9296373

Gabi-zzzheep- dip,.,.,.Im leaving this one to the experts.,I was thinking about one of the creatures from the planet 'zoid', from the muppet show, but surely they are extinct by now!,..
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 5, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9296808

Good morning everyone.
We had some nice light rain during the night. It will be just the thing to settle all the plants in that I repotted yesterday.
I also dont have to water the vegie garden , which was going to be my first morning job.
I have spotted the first spider mites on my brugs, so spraying is now on the list of weekly jobs through Spring/ Summer.

Gabi65, I love the Summer sound of cicadas, but I know in some places it can be deafening.
Dont know what your little creature is but sounds like a cicada.
We dont have many here and they are rarely heard.
I grew up with the sound of them all Summer and it does take me back when I hear them.

Teresa, you are certainly having problems with getting your house finally done. I do hope you get the chimney done before next winter.
Give Sugar and Copper a pat for me. Hope Sugar has not been naughty for awhile.

Anthony, you make a good cicada...lol
Talking of alien creatures, I have been looking at the end of each episode of Dr Who as I wait for Star Trek to come on.
Some weird creatures there, let me tell you.
It all seems so silly now as Sci Fi has really gone ahead with more realistic aliens.
I used to watch the show when it was on way back when because there was nothing much in Sci Fi .
I laugh at it now..
How are your liliums going ?
Mine are growing steadily and I am hoping for lots of flowers .

Chrissy, hope your hubby is feeling much better. I hope the fire danger has eased for you with some cooler weather. I think we are all in for a very dry season which will be an anxious one as the long grass dries off everywhere.

Dianne, I have lots of ranuncs & anemones flowering now. Spring has plopped itself down in my garden.
I have bulbs such as the lilac & pink bluebells that I havent seen for years. The alstromerias are flowing and I really should get out and tie them all up but they look so pretty falling around .
I am going to add a few more small lavenders as they too look very pretty. I love the little bunny ears on them .

Colleen, good luck with your pod on that brug. Mine are growing well but the warm weather is going to slow them down now.

Hello Karen, Al, Moon and Charleen. Hope all is well at all your places.

I am going out to check on my repotted plants . Two are large and I dont want them falling over. Luckily there is no wind.

Have a great day and and enjoy this... Almond and Strawberry Cake...

Happy day
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 5, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9296819

Hi everyone ...yes thank goodness the day is starting much cooler and spitting little rain drops right now, whew !

looks like everyone has some dramas going on ...strange noises in the garden ? I wonder what it might be ?
I have heard some odd new frogs calls ...one sounding like a rusty gate being forced open. Love it when the frogs start up.

So despite this grey day I found the Hippies still in reasonable shape after all that hot wind ...such a happy bulb ^_^
These ones have multiplied like mad and pop up everywhere.

I hope everyone has a lovely day.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100      

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 5, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9296933

lovely morning, dogs haven't adjusted to daylight saving time so I got to sleep in.
Weather was predicted to be nasty but I put my towels out on the line & got them dry before it changed.
Also cut back the foliage overhanging the front wall & filled the green bin.
Hubby brought lunch home, pizza roll & a custard scroll from Baker's Delight, yummy!
I have vacuumed in the hall & bedrooms, a bit scary that it needed to be emptied twice.
Mind you I did a very thorough job in the the dogs room & the Dyson picks up so much dust & hair that I guess it wasn't surprising.
I have the lounge to do later, sprayed some carpet cleaner around & it needs 2 or 3 hours before being vacuumed up.
So that leaves me some spare time - hmmm what to do with it... & that is why I am online now :)
Sugar was funny last night she had her chew bone on the couch & rolled onto Baz. He was rubbing her tummy while she chewed upside down... how could I resist taking photos!

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre         

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 5, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9296983

Good morning everyone. Another fine morning with a little rain first thing this morning. Teresa, Sugar looks like she's in her element. Lovely hippies Chrissy. Mine haven't even got any buds at the moment. RFP is as beautiful as ever after Winter. She really is a beauty. Not much going on here today. Have to get the boys uniform ready for Monday and don't forget the clocks tonight. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 6, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9297385

This is trio are the chickens that lay the colored eggs, Black one is little rooster...
My Confederate rose is finally blooming. Making up for last year. So pretty...
We are all well, supposed to be cold Sunday. Brrrrr!!!!!
You all have a great one. Charley and T Bo send you all nuzzles...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule         

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 6, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9297660

Good morning everyone.
Brrrrrrrr... Teresa, did you send that cold here ?
I was too early thinking Spring was here last week. Winter is still hanging around behind the bushes.
Showers all day yesterday and its still light rain out there. Only 6C.
Never mind, the plants are all enjoying the rain.

Charleen, I love poultry and used to have all sorts years ago, but nowhere to keep them here as Foxy Loxy likes them too.
Give TBo and Charley a cookie from the kitchen.

Teresa, Sugar looks so playful and innocent . How could you ever say she was naughty ?
Arent they all darlings when they want to be ? ...lol

Colleen, my winter hippie has finished and now I await the summer ones. No buds here either as yet.
I have a lot of seedling ones coming along well. Among the seedlings are some Papilios.

Dianne. you had better give Tilly a cookie too . I see her peeking around the corner there.
Hope your garden is full of beautiful flowers too.

Anthony, are you surrounded by giant liliums ?
I bet you have to use a map to get around them all...lol

Hello Moon and Al. hope you are still getting a bit of warm weather and not diving straight in to the cold.

Hello Chrissy, hope hubby is coming along much better now.
Keep your spirits up as he will rely on you when he is home.

Hello Karen
hope all is well for you .

Hello everyone else coming in for a cuppa.

I am going to sit here by the heater . Nothing to be done outside.

Enjoy this ...Chocolate Layer Cake.

Happy day and keep warm
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 6, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9297837

Hi everyone ...I hope everyone is enjoying your day.
Sunny but cool here after a lot of wind and rain last night,

Not very chatty sorry (feeling a bit sick on the tummy awaiting the Doctor's report re the second op) tomorrow,
Can't really talk to my fella because he is quite heavily medicated and making not much sense.
Difficult to concentrate on anything much right now, so just popped in to say hello and wishing you all fair weather and happy gardening.

chrissy
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 7, 2012
2:52 AM

Post #9298202

I purchased a 'white Haemanthus'[white ox tongue] today,.In all truth, I didnt even realise they existed,...$3,.I dont think you can go wrong for 3 bucks, especially if you 'never' see them for sale..The Gentleman that sold it to me, has realised, Its nearly curtains for him, and he said I would be a responsible person to sell it to,.You betcha, Hedley, my man!!!..This baby aint going anywhere+ he was a good friend of Fays, and laughed ,when I told him I had inherited 'Cocky',.Hedley is a brilliant man, a seed lilium breeder and an absolute 'dictionary' regarding plants and their characteristics.,I told him to let me know if he has any brilliant lilies for the show, as I would arrange for him to be picked up[as he is not allowed to drive anymore],.,.Off to the docs tomorrow-Hopefully for some response on all the tests of the 'type 2'I havnt felt well for many weeks, so hopefully this will be an answer,...21 st lilium show this January.,Its going to be a BIG one, very much planned and Rod has a monster party planned for the Saturday night.,[God help us],.Anyway, life goes on-Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 7, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9298218

Anthony, I sold two white haemanthus last year. I bought them but was disappointed in the flowers. I have the usual red /orange here which I tend to neglect.
I just found the remnants yesterday ,of the last white one that I thought had died. It is shooting new little leaves.
I may keep it as it looks so cute and small at the moment.
That was good luck getting one as they are hard to come by.
i hope all your tests go well for you.
time this person went to bed.
See everyone tomorrow. Hopefully a warmer day.
Jean.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9298303

Good Morning

I hope this finds you all smiling.

Chrissy, big hugs to you. Hope all goes well today and your Hubby makes a quick recovery.. Good thoughts for you both.

Is Chookie away at her DD's? Haven't seen her post in a while.

Today is supposed to be a much cooler day. It is 14C outside right now, and is only going to get up to about 24C...yesterday it was 31C. But, the weather people say that is only for a couple days and then the temps will go up again. Riding the Fall seesaw weather.

Have a lovely Monday.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9298347

Yeah - Here, too. Temps are all over the place. Beautiful warm days, very cool nights, dry weather has brought out the most gorgeous of tree foliage I've seen in years. Taking lots of pictures but they really don't show the true beauty of the valley we live in. We have not yet gotten our first fall frost here it is in mid October already. That's the sign to pull in the last of the garden stash before the long winter. We're still eating tomatoes and seeing the still flowering marigolds, asters, dahlias, and a few cosmos left. Unfortunately, it will soon be all over for our season. You folks can enjoy your welcome spring, don't we all?

Have a great weekend!

Al
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 7, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9298765

Good morning everyone.
Its cold & cloudy again but I can see bits of blue sky. Maybe no rain today.

Moon, always lovely to see your smiling face. Sounds like you are having the same weather we are .
Very confusing when one gets dressed in the mornings, trying to decide what to wear.
I usually add layers that can be taken off or put on as required.

I was wondering where Sue has gone too. Hope all is well with her family.

Al, nice to see you are still enjoying the fruits of your labor.
I will be planting my pumpkins today. I am hoping they do well.
My dwarf green beans and snow peas are looking good as are the broad beans..
I may try some corn later when the soil warms up.

Have to get out there and redress my scarecrow 'Michael '
His old jeans are worm away.
Have to get hubby to help as Michaels clothes are full of wolf spiders. They love him as a home.
I find the wolfies are quite polite . I often grub around and have one come out and look at me as if to ask what the heck am I doing , disturbing him.
I had one sit on my hand a week ago when I was leaning over to pull some weeds. He simply walked on , looked me up and down , then walked off in a huff .

Chrissy, best wishes for hubby. keep your spirits up. He needs you .

Hello Anthony. Teresa, Karen, Dianne and Colleen . Hope you are all keeping well.

Charleen. you keep an eye on the little darling, T Bo . I am sure he is following Charley , looking for cookies.
If I see him, I'll have to keep him, hes so cute.

I am off to do a bit of relocating this morning.
Moving pots around and chopping out a couple of dead hebes.

Heres your morning tea nibbles...Banana Muffins

Enjoy the day and stay safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Confusticated
Swan Hill
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9299135

Hi Everyone, I am new here, having joined the site a couple of days ago. I live in Sea Lake, north west Victoria, closest large town is Swan Hill, and about half way between Bendigo and Mildura.
Had a beautiful lot of rain on saturday and the garden is happy happy with it, and I wont have to water outside plants for a few days.
I have lots of succulents growing, also tend to collect pelargoniums, geraniums, ivy geraniums, irises and anything else that is different or interesting.
I am happy to swap cuttings with other people, but not sure how to go about listing what I have available and what I would like to collect.
Cheers C.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 7, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9299147

Hello confusticated.
Always nice to see a new face here. we all love our plants and between us grow lots of different ones.
The link below will take you to the trade thread. Add what you have and want.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/842701/

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 7, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9299149

Hi Confusticated we usualy just dmail each other here but to place your wants and what you have ...
here is the formal place,it appears right at the top of Aussie Gardening, so tell us there what you have and what you want, people will dmail you ^_^ Welcome !

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/842701/
I think you and Jean should have a lot in common.
Lots of lovely Southern gardeners down your way.

Hi to everyone else, hubby has had a second surgery this morning and is feeling so much better ...whew !
Catch up a bit later, hope everyone is happy ...it's cold and damp here !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 7, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9299150

Ha ha ha Snap Jean ^_^

Edited to say ...he didn't lose his finger, we were worried he might, it will slow him down for a while though.

chrissy

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 2:34 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 8, 2012
2:29 AM

Post #9299204

Hello Conficsticated,glad to see you here..Good news, Im a diet controlled diabetes person,,.results were very good, no tablets , no injections.,eyes were good too,.but eventually, I will succumb to it-hopefully, its when im 103 and in the grave[still got too many lilies to breed],.There are lily shafts here, the size of 'chiko rolls', my god, what have I created,.-Anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 8, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9299246

Good on you Anthony thats the way !
You take care of yourself, we only get one body so treat it like your best friend.
And keep loving your lilies ^_^

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 8, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9299247

Welcome C...this is a great place to talk plants and have a whinge if you feel like it...
Hope you get some good cuttings.
Hi Al and moon, sounds as though you are having an indian summer this year, Al...always a very gentle season...lovely with your Autumn foliage.
Anthony, nice to hear that you have been given a good report...that Lilium show in January sounds like a doozie...you will have to be in good condition for Rods party...
It's a great time for the liliums at the moment, they seem to be really strong in growth...

You can keep your wolfies, Jean...I wouldn't hurt one, but I'd have a fit if one walked on me...
Have to check on my 7 yr beans, the snails sometimes beat me to them..

Chookie was going to be at her daughter's for a while and the neighbours were looking after her chickens...
Hope all is well.
I thought that a storm was coming but it went straight past after I took this pic...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9299457

what a beautiful picture, Love the little dog. so beautifully groomed. Testing the air...
Welcome C, Hope you love it here, I know I do. Love all the folks.
How can you tell it's Fall in the states. Goldenrod is blooming in all it's glory and the bees just love it.
My dahlias are blooming, this one is actually darker than they look but still they are beautiful.
T Bo is "staring" at Radar, just daring him to move. He doesn't back down from my little Alfa Chihuahua. But Radar still thinks he is top dog.
You all have a Great Whatever time it is.
Love , hugs and mule/puppy nuzzles to all...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule      

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 8, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9299805

Good morning everyone.
My fingers are so cold its hard to type. I went out to feed the children ( magpies ) and its very nippy out there. Nearly a frost with fog hanging around the hills.
Looking above the fog one can see clouds, so what the day is going to be is anyones guess.

Hubby is s till in bed with his crook back so I will be around the house most of the day in case he needs anything.

Hello Charleen. That T Bo is going to be top dog before long ..lol
Cookies for Charley ion the kitchen.
Love your dahlias too.

Anthony . hubby here has diabetes too, but doesnt need injections.
He does take pills though. Too many he says.
You keep going as you are . Sounds like you are doing all the right things .

Dianne, Tilly looks so pretty there. A real show dog.
Great pic with the sky like that.

Hello also to Teresa, Al, Moon, Chrissy and all popping in for a cuppa.

I am off to the heater again to warm my fingers & toes.

Heres a nice treat for morning tea...Chocolate and Cream Cake.

Keep warm where ever you are .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 9, 2012
1:00 AM

Post #9300291

the weather is not so great this week, lots of rain & cool temperatures.
Cooked steak for dinner & picked fresh lettuce from the garden to go with it.
Hopefully there will be plenty more to come.
there is one huge advantage to daylight saving beginning here...
my dogs can't tell time & are letting me sleep in.
It won't last, they will get used to the new routine & then when daylight saving ends I will have the fun of dogs waking me an hour early.
Swings & round abouts.
Confusticated
Swan Hill
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9300299

Hi Everyone, thank you for the warm welcome.
Another day nearly finished, starting to cloud over, rain forecast but don't know if it will get this far north. Most rain bands slide south or follow the river to the north and we miss out.
A friend of my daughter gave her 2 Tree Dahlia cuttings to pass on to me, no idea what colour, she didn't think to ask, but doesn't matter, what I would like to find out is do they have any special requirements? I do know they can grow quite tall quite quickly, but do they spread diameter wise, send up off shoots, need lots of water, fertiliser, full sun, part shade? I haven't had anything to do with these stunning plants, something else to collect different colours, oh well, just as well I have a big block.
Cheers C.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 9, 2012
2:21 AM

Post #9300302

Teresa,Im suffering somewhat the same here with the birds, now with d/saving,.,I mixed curry powder in with potting soil, and added to the pots that the blackbirds continuously obliterate,lets see how it goes?Off to lake pedder tomorrow with a delivery,Ive never been past Maydena,so this will be something new,6 hr round trip...I'll be off to bed soon, for an early start-Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9300427

Good Morning

Jean, good thoughts to your hubby. A wonky back can be so miserable. I love that you feed the magpies...they are one of my favorite birds. I love their call.

Bravo on you Anthony. That is a great report from your Doctor...guess you can have that extra sausage now and then...grin. have a safe trip, hope you see something lovely along the way.

Teresa, it is hard to beat the sweet crisp taste of fresh baby lettuce. Sounds like you are all having a lazy start to Spring...old man Winter needs to turn loose and sleep.

Confusticated, aren't we all at one time or another? GRIN here is a bit of care info for your tree dahlias.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/Trees-and-Palms/Tree-Dahlia:-The-French-Alternative/1641

Good thoughts your way Chrissy...I hope you get enough rain to make fires a NoGo this year...hope all is well with your Hubby.

Hope you all have a grand day and get some true Spring weather soon.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9300727

Sorry - the long awaited fall foliage pictures, mostly taken at son Rich & Kristens wedding at Watkins Glen Park here in NY. They were married under a beautiful red maple turning in bright color for the season.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad         

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9300737

Oops, here's the other two. Take so darn long to load these pixs..

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad         

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 9, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9300852

Good morning everyone.
Another very nippy morning here. (3C ) I have just been out to give the magpies their breakfast. Talk about children arguing over a bag of lollies. These lot always want what the other one has. Silly things..
They sit along the edge of the shadehouse at the back door and anxiously watch to see when I am coming out with FOOD.
There are 3 that will come and sit on the edge of the table to get a bite before the others.
Hubby leaves the container of dry cat cubes open on the table , so you will often see one during the day helping himself to more.
Of course they need all that food to keep their children quiet.
Soon it will be the children sitting along there getting their own food and so the generations continue on. We love to see the personalities develop as each baby grows. I name them all and enjoy their company around the garden. One will follow me around hoping for bugs, as I weed and dig.
She is very demanding . Insisting I turn over the old logs and rocks so she can look under them.
Makes life interesting around here.

I did get out yesterday between showers , to get rid of an old dead hebe.
I also weeded all around the day lilies.
I see this year, I am going to have more of the large opium poppies. Hardly saw any last year.

Anthony. enjoy your trip down the new route.
I love taking unknown roads just to see where they go.

Al, I am going to have to move over there. Such beautiful colors.
Must have been a very pretty wedding. Congrats to your son & his new wife.

Our Aussie bush is very drab mostly, because the plants had to evolve to live on the dryest continent . There are some beautiful flowers but very short lived compared to colder, wetter countries.

Moon, I love the magpies calls too, but my favorite of the bird calls is the currawong.
I loved hearing them in the mountains when I lived there . We sometimes hear a few travelling through here .

Teresa, its funny you saying the dogs cant tell time when daylight saving kicks in. Our magpies know exactly what time it is no matter what. They are there at the earlier hour now and will easily change when daylight saving ends. Smart little things..

Hello Charleen, Dianne, Colleen and Karen.

I had better get up from here and see if hubby wants another cuppa. He is improving slowly.
Takes longer as he ages. . ( 70 in 2 weeks )

Better see what I have in the kitchen for you all for morning tea too.

Here we are ...Ginger Sponge ( with lots of cream of course )

Enjoy the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9300901

I had to go listen to the currawong song...grin Were the ones you loved the Black, Pied or Gray currawongs?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 9, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9300923

Moon, the currawong mostly seen in the mountains where I lived was the Pied Currawong. . A long echoing call which still makes me want the mo untains.
Here we see a few that are usually passing through. Could be either the Pied or the Grey. Hard to tell sometimes.
This last autumn/ winter we had 2 that stayed around for months. They have gone now. Most likely back to the mountains for spring ? summer.

You may have also heard the butcher bird warble when you were here. Very much like the magpie but more musical.

I also hear the tinkling bell call of the rosellas here a lot. Especially when they call in friends to help eat all the new shoots on my roses.

Love the bush for all the bird calls. Even when you cant see the birds.
Did you ever hear the Bellbirds ? A really familiar call to anyone who knows the hills around Melbourne that still have the bush there.

I suppose you all over there all have favorite bird calls too.
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9300966

Beautiful site Al. congrats for the son getting married.
A walk in the wood this morning for me and the furkids...Kaluha, T Bo and my Missy Mae.
here comes Charley for a handout. You can see he really needs something to eat.
T Bo would love to go visit but I won't let him.
Nice and cool this morning. got my long pants on and Shoes. No flip flops today...
I did love the shape of this tree and the view down by the pear tree. No pears this year. maybe next year. Most squirrels and deer got them.
Have a good day all of you.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 9, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9300973

Charleen, you go and feed that poor skinny , starving animal...lol

If he got any fatter you could roll him along the ground.
That must be all the cookies & cake I feed him when you are not looking.

I do like the view down your track. Looks like a lovely walk.
Jean.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9300999

Charleen, we bought some coffee our Charlie picked out for us in Halifax. Just couldn't resist this one..

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9301010

Dearest Al. Our Charley is a Critter with Good Taste...(I love it!!!) ♥
He is still looking good.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 9, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9301058

Hi all, just popping in for a minute, before taking our daughter to hospital for a breast reconstruction, the cancer left a mess so now they are starting to put her back together...thank goodness...I
I'll be away for a couple of days...

Beautiful pics Al and Charleen...
Those Dahlias will be lovely whatever colour they are, C.
Enjoy Lake Pedder Anthony, I haven't seen it either...
Jean, I will take a bit of that sponge to do me over the next couple of days...
Ray and Tilly have to batch with the cats for a couple of days, they will all be a bit heavier when I come home..
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 9, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9301065

Charleen, now Al has given Charley coffee to go with his cookies...lol

Love it..

Dianne, best wishes to your daughter for a good recovery and hope all goes well for her from now on.

Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 9, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9301226

http://www.backpack-newzealand.com/articles/topic51.php

for me the sound of the Bellbird takes me back to my childhood & trips we made into native forests for bush walking & sometimes to swim at water holes...

the sound of magpies warbling in the morning reminds me of visiting cousins in the country.
And my time in Australia of course :)
Confusticated
Swan Hill
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2012
12:21 AM

Post #9301239

Evening Everyone, the weather is turning nasty, the wind is howling and its spitting rain, the temperature just dropped about 5 degrees, could be in for a rough night. I managed to tag a few more plants in readiness for the markets on Sunday, hopefully the weather will be kind to us. I should have about 80 or 90 plants to take with me, and hopefully not have to bring too many home.
Added a pic of some of my succulents in the shade house.
Cheers C.

Thumbnail by Confusticated

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 10, 2012
2:50 AM

Post #9301253

Well.,!-Ive seen Lake Pedder.,.My god!!!!If youve never seen it, do so!!Its like 'walking on the moon'..From Maydena it became a sidewall of trees, a skinny, mossy ,steep and sharp, twisted road, which I thought would never end.After 75 km ,all of a sudden ,I spotted the sharp rising rock formations of 'The sentinels', going up about 100 metres,.absolutely awesome..Mind you, there had been many rock falls and tree falls, i could see had been cleaned up.,I thought ,If rocks were to fall on me, I would be history,.I saw the Protesters camp in the Florentine Valley, its only set back from the road about 6 metres.,Lake Pedder Itself is like a mirror, you can see the fish in it, and it has sandy beaches,.Believe me, when you get there, you feel like you are at the highest place in Tasmania.,.,I couldnt look, in fact, i backed the truck away from the lookout,as im scared of heights.,.man alive it sent me into panic stations[ there is just a sheer drop of hundreds of feet]3 hrs travelling up[from Hobart] with 3.7 ton on board and 2 1/2 hrs back,._Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9301394

Good Morning.

Dianne, good thoughts to your daughter. Hopefully the worst is over and she will enjoy a speedy recovery and a long happy life.

Al...interesting coffee...are you a dark roast coffee man? Congratulations to your son and new daughter. Wish them many years of happiness together.

Teresa, I got lost in bird calls. The bell bird, currawongs, magpies, butcherbirds and even the Spinifex pigeon...grin. The ones that really got us were up in Kuranda...the Blue, Green or spotted cat birds (not sure which it was)...it was a quiet weekday stroll through the rain forest when suddenly a small child started to cry...or so we thought...grin

Anthony, Lake Pedder sounds beautiful, but I would be the one standing all the way back away from the edge with a death grip on the railings...I don't do well with high places either...grin

Jean, the site I am sending the link for, is from Cornell University's college of ornithology. You can click on any name and it will give you a picture, info and recording of the bird's call/song.

http://www.birdweb.org/birdweb/audiosource
Charleen, we had a little cool spell here too...got down in the 40's one night...predictions for the weekend are back up near 90. T-bo is certainly growing up handsome...grin
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9301648

Coffee, ah yes indeed.. I enjoy mostly the dark or french roasts when I go to the trouble of buying it myself at so-called gourmet shops. I also like the new International creamers now available in stores. We truely enjoyed our trip to Kauai island in Hawaii where they really know how to make the right stuff.

Okay folks, I like tea also. Especially with ice in the hot summer time when I drink lots of it. No sugar or sweeteners please, just real tea.

Al
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 10, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9301689

Good morning everyone.
Another freezing morning at 3C. Its going to be wet all day like yesterday too.
I think old Mr Winter decided he likes it here and has pushed poor little Miss Spring into a corner somewhere.

Moon , thats a great site to see & hear all your birds.
Thanks for the link.

Anthony, I'm lucky, heights dont worry me. I would be the one leaning over to see whats below.
I remember leaning over a waterfall when I was travelling in NT, so I could get a good pic.
I have seen pics of Lake Pedder. It looks really beautiful.
Some of the mountain roads can be a bit hair raising but worth the trip.

Al, I am a confirmed tea drinker. I dont like coffee at all , not even the smell of it.
Its a pity because it does look great when served right
I love my green tea. Plain, weak, no sugar or milk to ruin a good cuppa.

Hello to everyone else. I had better get moving.
Shopping day today and its going to be a cold one.
So far there is no wind , which is a good thing.

I am leaving you all something tasty for morning tea...German Chocolate Cake.

Enjoy the day and stay dry and warm.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 10, 2012
11:35 PM

Post #9302110

lol Jean, I'd be right beside you leaning out over the edge to get the best view :)
I never liked to drink coffee but always loved the aroma of freshly ground beans & 'real' coffee being brewed.
Since starting at the Merino Outlet I have become quite a fan of good coffee, vanilla latte was my downfall...
now I find that a bit sweet & have switched to hazelnut.
I splurged at The Warehouse & bought a pop up vege planter, a spiral plant support & 3 tomato plants.
the tomatoes were 3 for $5.
At that price who could resist, I have Beefsteak, Roma & Sweet 100.
that should do the two of us.
I'd like to use the pop up planter for strawberries but didn't see any for sale.
Might need to look around, hope I haven't missed them.
The spiral support is for the sweet pea volunteers, bit of an experiment but hopefully it will suit the purpose.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 11, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9302565

Good morning everyone.
Its a bit warmer here this morning , 6C.

Lots of cloud still and showery all day yesterday.
At least it was warm in the shops.
I found no orphans and have given up looking at the plants over in Hamilton now.
The nursery is way too dear and Mitre10 dont have orphans any more.

Teresa it sounds like you are going to have a great garden of vegetables.. I must get my hanging tomato planters out ready for the warm weather .
I have a tray of tomato seedlings up in the greenhouse. I also may try a few different ones out in the garden if it ever warms up here.

I have to go and help hubby in a minute or so a she needs a large parcel wrapped up.
H is back is a lot better now but I still have to watch he doesnt start doing too much at once.
You know how men are. Once the pain is gone they think they can just go back to doing whatever as if nothing happened.

Hello Charleen , Moon and Al. I do envy you this time of year, with your mile weather and lovely Fall color.

Hello Anthony, Colleen , Karen, Chrissy and anyone else popping in.
Dianne, hope all is well with your daughter.

I am off to see what hubby is doing.

Heres something nice for morning tea. ...Cherry Scones..

Happy day..
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 11, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9302581

Good morning everyone. I hope no-one has either frozen nor blown away. Goodness what weather. It's freezing and a cold south wind as well. Brrrrr. There's a lovely lot of flowers on the roses this year. I also have a few Irises out. nothing special though. Butter Bomb still has a couple of flowers. Such a lovely fellow. Lots of green shoots on all the cut back ones now. The broms have lots of flowers and lots of pups. I have finished one "Living Picture" of succulents. I have to wait for them to take root then I can hang it up. Will take a pic when it's on the wall. I still have 2 frames ready to fill. They're great fun as you fill it up with soil and then go around and find a few succulents and pop them in then you can go and do something else and get a few more when you're ready. A bit like doing a jigsaw, popping a piece in as you go past. Very relaxing. Dianne I do hope that everything's going well for your daughter. Give her my best wishes for a speedy recovery now. Chrissy give hubby my best wishes as well. Hope no more of his finger has to be taken off. Must go the boys are nearly ready for school, just a bit of tweaking. lol. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9302723

We're enjoying the very last of our fall flowers before the expected frosts. We still have potted mums, dahlanovas, sedum, and marigolds off from our front walkway.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad   Thumbnail by lycodad   

Confusticated
Swan Hill
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9302815

Afternoon Everyone, what is going on with this weather? It only got to 9 degrees maximum, and snowed in the Adelaide hills, unbelievable. We had rain, hail and wind here, luckily the hail didn't do any damage that I can see.
I had to go the nursery yesterday while I was in Swan Hill, and am totally annoyed with suppliers, 3 different Aloes, and I mean totally different, all marked as Aloe Species "Croc Jaws", why do growers do this? It makes it so hard to identify them. It isn't the nursery's fault, as he buys them in, already potted and tagged. End of rant.
Hope everyone has a great day.
Cheers C.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 11, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9302865

Hi everyone, thanks for the kind thoughts, Linda is home and very glad that it's all over...

C, your right about the weather, it's crazy...I saw the snow in Adelaide on the news...amazing...
It's a nuisance when they incorrectly label plants and they don't seem to care much either...
Rant away, that's what the tea room is for...lol

Colleen, can't wait to see your living picture...they are so attractive on a wall...

Your garden looks very pretty Al, who is the gardener at your place, sounds as though it's you...you know the names of your plants...lol

Teresa, I had to smile at your Tomato choices...from huge to medium/small to tiny...you've got them covered...enjoy...

Anthony, the lake sounds wonderful, wish I had been there...

Jean, I hope that Robert is behaving and taking things easy and don't forget your shoulder...you can't overdo either...wait for a sunny day...

Hi Moon and Charleen have a great weekend.
Chrissy, I hope that your husband's finger is ok...

Dianne.

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 12, 2012
1:09 AM

Post #9302879

Dianne - I recognise two of your plants & know I can grow wisteria & Chinese lanterns here... what is the third plant & is it frost hardy?

We traditionally plant out tomatoes Labour weekend here, normally that is when it is safe from frosts.
I might get mine in this weekend if I can grab a couple of big plastic bags to use as mini green houses.
I had a good look around for strawberry plants & not a sausage.
Looks like they are all gone & the tomatoes & other spring veg have taken over.

I was tempted to get a double planter bag & try growing a bigger range of veg.
Have to get hubby on board with that one since he would need to pick up some compost to fill them.

I'll have to measure up the terrace & see if it would work there.
Not sure it would be safe from weasel attack in the back yard.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

October 12, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9302895

Hi guys, quite cold recently and I'm working outside.

Lovely Abutilons Dianne, I am a fan of them too and I have about 8 varieties.
The last pic maybe a cantua growing through a weigela?? Beautiful!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9303100

I have to admit that wife Ellen has a major hand in this endevor. I do most of the seed starts for both flowers and veggies, she does much of the arranging and planting. Some of them are just seeds tossed in place to see if they will grow. Our garden looks somewhat helter-skelter at times. When all else fails, zinnias and marigolds do well here under any condition.

We planted this Cosmos out of a generic seed package called "Sensation Mix". I had never tried this one before. The very first flowers were all pink and purple colored. It sort of died out for a while, then all of a sudden came back, this time as all pure white! I'm at a loss as to explain why this happened. They were pretty though, and just in time for the wedding!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9303139

Hey all. Beautiful weather here. Dogs love it but got to be cooler for the long ears to be running but know they like it.
Almost soup weather. Love nice warm soup on a cold day.
This is my marvelous old oak tree that electric co. is killing by "trimming back"
But there in front is the tallest Hibiscus I've ever seen. Has a white bloom on it.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9303215

Poor oak tree...but the Althea/Rose of Sharon is lovely. I like the way they just mind their own business and grow and bloom.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 12, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9303369

Good morning everyone.. Its nearly a heatwave here...8C...lol
Still showery and looks like nothing will get done outside again.
Plants are loving the rain, but we do need sun for them all to think about flowers.

Dianne, so glad your daughter is home now and I hope all goes well for her from now on.
Your flowers look beautiful. I would love to be sitting in your yard with Tilly, admiring them all.

Colleen, those "living" pictures are great fun to do.
Did some years ago when the kids were at school. A great school project.

Al, sounds like wonderful garden partnership with you & your wife.
I keep my hubby well out of the garden unless I want a bit of help digging or lifting something.
He does like to show it all off though..
I love those cosmos.
I have just thrown a mix of seeds out in the garden here. I am hoping to see something grow , but I think the ants usually run off with most. .

Teresa, I admire your efforts to keep the "weasel "from getting to your plants...lol
It would be a full time job , I bet..
I can see little Miss Mischief looking innocently on as you try to protect the plants.

Lucas , so nice to see you back again. I like the abutilons too. My little double pink is just flowering.
I am hoping the sanguineas take a lesson from it.

Charleen, I know how you feel about your lovely tree.
I have seen some awful tree butchering around lately as the power people "trim " the trees under power lines.
A little thought would make it so much nicer for all.
Its just as easy to trim properly as make a great mess.
Hugs for that Charley and I thought I saw a brown & white shape run around the corner of the Tea Room this morning.
I think T Bo is learning where the food is. ...lol

Time I went out to the kitchen to see what the elves have left in the kitchen...
They are all off soon to the North Pole again..
Its that time of year.. Christmas is nearly upon us...

Here we are, lovely tasty treat for you all...Chocolate Peanut Squares..

Enjoy the weekend and stay warm.
I hope everyone is out of all that wild weather about.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9303426

Yes, he will be as bad as Charley, that boy loves to eat...
He'd eat bucket's full if he could...
Here he is after feeding the long ears. He is protecting me...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 12, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9303576

Charleen, I think he's waiting for you to fill the buckets with goodies for him...lol
Love that expectant look on his dear little face.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 13, 2012
12:46 AM

Post #9303700

He does look like he's waiting...doesn't he...so cute...

Yes Lucas, the Cantua is in with the Weigela "Red Prince"...this particular Weigela is one of the best...it produces masses of flowers...nice to see you back...

I think that they could take it reasonably frosty, Teresa, as they are deciduous, but the more sun the better for flowering...

Jean, if I see one of those Elves, I will sool Tilly onto him...some of the shops already have Christmas decorations in store...I've decided that I am not even thinking about it until December...

Al, Cosmos are really a good plant aren't they...I have the lolly pink one that self seeds in my garden each year...between that and the Scabiosa they are popping up everywhere especially between the brick paving...lol

Dianne

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2012

Post #9303819

We had our first hard frost this morning which officially ended the growing season. Now it's just clean-up work and pack the shed for winter. It was a great season though with lots to see and eat. We won't be growing much outdoors until May or June of next year. Time to reread the catalogs and wait.

One of Ellen's huge "Dinnerplate" dahlias below.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9304039

Seems I saw something on the weather about the first snowfall somewhere up North of you Al. That is a pretty dahalia.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 13, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9304087

Good morning everyone.
The sun is shining here. Hubby says it is going to be in the 20s
I hope so. I am tired of dull , wet & cold days.
Winter here is a bit like daylight saving, okay at the start, but goes on way too long.

I have weeds to chase around and irises coming out to see the sun. The plants need a bit of warmth now to get them really looking great.

Al. we had a small frost here this morning. Luckliy it hardly ever sets foot inside our fence. I like it when the paddock is white but the plants are not affected.

There was even some snow over in South Aust. and up in our "tropical "north the other day.

Weird & wonderful weather everywhere.

I am just going to say hello to everyone popping in for their morning cuppa and get out into the sun before it decides to go elsewhere.

Hello Colleen, Dianne, Teresa, Anthony, Lucas, Karen , Al, Charleen & Moon.

Here is something yummy for morning tea... Clementine, Torte..

Enjoy the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 13, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9304231

I've started collecting Dahlias [oh no!!]-Al..got my 1st champ at April -Lindisfarne Dahlia Show,..since then, Ive purchased 9 more[somebody stop me]

Thumbnail by g_whizz

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 13, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9304237

Oh my- Dahlias Anthony ? that is a beauty !

Just popped in to say hubby is breaking out of Hospital tomorrow (I don't think the doctors approve).
Hopefully life may get back to " normal " soon . I am a little nervous though.

I will catch up as soon as possible, meanwhile have a lovely arvo.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 13, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9304339

Anthony...STOP...

You will have to put up a tent to live in as your plants take over...LOL

I cant blame you really, dahlias are so lovely arent they ?

Take my advice and dont look at Pentsemons or Salvias or Gladdies or...or...or...

Welcome to the club for people who NEED that plant...
Jean.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9304363

Anthony -The dahlia shows here at county keep getting bigger each year. As you say, they have caught on like a bad habit, now everybody is into the act. Unbelievable variation in colors, something new every year it seems. We're really not in the serious competition, but love to attend the shows. Ellen has managed to swap and trade quite a few for a good display at home the last 3-4 years. They do tend to impress the neighbors with their huge flowers and tall stature. Some are larger than my giant tall sunflowers that I've grown for years. I enjoy the novas as well, they are much smaller and easier to keep under control without staking.

Congrats on your winning ribbons, I'm sure they are beautiful as all your photos are!

Al
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 14, 2012
12:25 AM

Post #9304493

what a couple of days...
the weather was appalling yesterday & I was rostered to work.
Bought myself a Drizabone coat to wear home as the wind & rain were so bad!
The coat was priced as miscellaneous ... $70 less staff discount of 20%.
It came in handy this morning as it was still raining, I put Sugar in her Drizabone coat too - she wasn't as impressed as I was but it kept her dry & I kept her so busy she hardly had enough time to bite at the coat.
By the time we were competing it had cleared enough to ditch our coats & I was really pleased & pleasantly surprised by Sugar's performance.
I think it's time I started putting more training in as she is nearly ready to get out there for real.
Today we ran the lowest test unofficially...
to keep things fair once you have won with one dog you cannot go back to the lowest 2 classes again.
that way people with their first dog aren't up against experienced handlers who know what is expected.
You can go unofficial so you give your dog some experience but the ribbons are for the newbies :)
there hasn't been a peep out of the weasel - she was flat out on the deck when we got home, I think I wore her out.

Hubby flew to Gisbourne in the Nth Island to look at an aeroplane.
It is a wreck, the owner clipped a tree & the plane stopped dead, ran down the trunk of the neighbouring tree & dropped vertically into the ground.

There are lots of great bits to use in restoring our existing plane so it's a good buy.

The garden is enjoying the rain & warmer weather, I can see iris buds coming through & the roses look promising too.

I will have to try & put more time into the garden along with training Sugar.
Thank goodness there are more daylight hours over summer, I may be able to get a bit more done. :)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 14, 2012
1:24 AM

Post #9304508

Anthony, have you looked at the Delbard dahlias, that Bunnings is selling...12.95 each, but they are beautiful..
As usual I'm waiting until they sell the remainder off cheaply...I know I'm a cheapskate...but they have been in store for a month..lol...so it shouldn't be long...
http://www.rankinsroses.com.au/Latest-Specials/Delbards-New-Release-Dahlia-Collection.aspx

Today I picked up a really good bargain...I've no idea where it will go but a 6ft Lilac "Sensation" for $20, I couldn't pass up...they must have had it for ages, because Lilacs are usually bare rooted and about 3/4 ft tall..
It had one flower on the top and I recognised "Sensation" immediately...it needs a haircut after it flowers, so by then I will have squeezed it in somewhere...
Now I have 4 different Lilacs...S. persica alba, S.afghanica, S.meyeri Palibin...and the S. vulgaris "Sensation''
all perfumed and all gorgeous.
What a lovely day it's been...
Dianne..
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 14, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9304970

Good morning everyone.
Its cloudy at the moment but yesterday was a lovely warm day, so it may be the same later .
Hubby says the forecast is for a shower of rain maybe later today then back to warm during the week.

I weeded along the irises and as I have been painting the weeds around the iris plants, was able to do it all easily.
I also sprayed a bit more Roundup on the berry plants.
They have turned so rampant and we get no berries after the birds have been at them.
It is useless keeping them there.
I end up with a great mound of prickly plants that need to be cut every year and nothing to show for it.
Besides, the darn things put down roots wherever a bit touches the ground. I have gone from 4 plants to about a dozen .

I will put something nicer there when they die right off.

Today I am going to repot some of the brugs that I have left near the shadehouse, then they will go down the side with the others for summer.

I have anice lot of Dutch Iris out now, but it seems the white and the blue are more dominant as the lovely bronze I planted have never come up. I may try again later and keep them away from the others.

Dianne, My lilacs are looking the best ever, I have the usual old fashioned mauve and another in the same color but it has smaller leaves and rounder flower heads. The whole plant is more rounder in growth rather than the usual upright lilac style.
The perfume is gorgeous.
I have tried growing the pink and white from cuttings but no success.
I must look for plants instead.

Teresa, you are lucky being able to buy your things in the shop where you work.
I can just see you and Sugar in your matching coats.
Sounds like she is going to be a champion when she gets going among the older dogs .

Hope hubby gets home and back to good health quickly , Chrissy.

Anthony, dahlias should love your area and being among the liliums.
I cannot find any of the pics I took a few years ago of the hundreds in the Portland Gardens.
A pity, because the area is so beautiful with them all in full flower.

I am off again to finish the last bit of weeding, then water my beans, The climbing beans are all up now and the snow peas need their stakes put in so they can lean on them.
The broad beans are now tall enough to be damaged by any wind so they will have their rows tied around with string and stakes.

Hello to all looking in ..
Charleen, Moon, Al, Karen, Colleen and I hope Sue is doing okay wherever she is.

Dianne, the pic below is my other lilac.

Heres you morning tea snack...Orange Chiffon Cake.

Enjoy the day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset         

Confusticated
Swan Hill
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9305133

Morning Everyone, Had a lovely day at the markets yesterday, sold 17 plants and bought 4, so at least I came home with less than I took, which is good for me lol. The weather was brilliant, lovely sunshine and a gentle breeze, supposed to get to 30 degrees here today, then rain tomorrow, but we shall see, the rain will probably stay to the south of us.
Have to repot the plants I bought yesterday, but should get 2 or 3 from each plant hopefully, 3 different colours of Kalanchoe. And I scored a Veltheimia for $5, which I was very pleased about.
Off to the garden, have a great day Everyone.
Cheers C.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 15, 2012
12:19 AM

Post #9305529

I forgot to mention my other drama on Saturday...
I bit into a piece of almond & broke a tooth!
It is the last molar on the left, interestingly it is the left side of my jaw that has been really painful lately.
I suspect the tooth was cracked & the almond was the last straw.
I have been taking pain killers but still not very comfortable, the sharp edge on the broken tooth is cutting my tongue - I have an ulcer now & even talking is painful.
You never realise how much your tongue moves around your mouth until it hurts .
I bought a tube of bonjela to see if that numbs it & have a dentist appointment tomorrow at 2pm.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 15, 2012
2:23 AM

Post #9305546

OOOOH Teresa, you poor thing!-I suffered the same thing about 5 yrs ago,.I went to the oriental dentist 'Hung Lo Fat', 'we can fix ' $2000'.[For a Toyota 'Crown',.].Medicare, i think put in $600, but it had to be done, because the pain was terrible,.The cost was terrible too,and I had to skimp a little over the next few weeks, to make ends meet,.Because of Australias brutal school dental system, during the late 60's 70's and 80's a lot of kids never went 'back ' to the dentist.I was one -1982[during my apprenticeship], I had a tooth extracted, by a senile old dentist with sidchrome pliers, then never went back until 2005, for some ''serious'' work.,.2 wisdoms and a molar[Im a sad tooth p[atient, It took me about 6 days to recover]..I was very sick...Anyway, enough agony talk!!!- Ive turfed out about 35 lily pots over the weekend, [mainly to basal rot]-now I know I can sit pretty until sales time , knowing Ive removed weeds, fertilised, everythings labelled and many seedlings are really performing.,.,next year should be ''really'' good-Anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9305799

I can't stand Dentists either. Must have been in same Era as Anthony. Even the idea is unbearable. But I do still have my teeth.
Had a good rain this morning but sun is shinning now, so looks like a beautiful day. Long ears have their heads stuck into hay bale and The pup is playing or sleeping in bedroom. Awful quiet I may have to check on them.
Hope Everyone has a wonderful whatever time of day it is...
Hugs and nuzzles
Charleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 15, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9306192

Good morning all.
Its cloudy after a beautiful day yesterday. Should be nice when the sun gets up. We are off to Hamilton early today as the car is booked in for its service and I have to get my hearing aids readjusted.

Ugh... all this talk of dentists...
I dont have to worry about them now having dentures, but I well remember going along as a child to sit in a chair and be tortured ..

Not really, the dentist was quite good even back then.
The last one I saw was very good . I find the worst thing is having to sit there feeling nothing while they get out the hammer, chisel. pneumatic drill, pliers etc, then do all sorts of odd things in your mouth, that you cant see or feel.

Very odd sensation.

I hope you all get relief quickly. Tooth problems can be very painful and upset your whole system.

I am just going to say hello quickly then pop into the kitchen to leave nibbles out for morning tea.

Enjoy the day and stay safe.

Heres your nibbles...Coconut Macaroons

Happy day
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 15, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9306671

I now have a much shorter Nashi...it was well over 12ft, last year it put on about 6ft and if you know Nashis, they grow straight up...so I cut it down by half, to a spot just above all the flowers...so we should have plenty of fruit from it again this year...
The peach and the nectarine have leaf curl as usual but I don't worry about it any more, it doesn't seem to affect the number of fruit...it just looks ugly till it falls off.
The Fig has lots of fruit on it and the Cherry is full of blossoms for the first time...
My "Sensation" pear should have a couple this year for the first time, looking forward to that, they are so very pretty when they colour up...
Maybe the Jostaberry might have more than a couple of berries this year...
It will be vegie planting time soon for us so that will be the next big job, emptying the compost bin onto the vegie garden...
Warmer weather is coming soon...
Dianne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 15, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9306678

Forgot to say... I had been looking for a dentist when we moved here 20 yrs ago and I thought that I would get a female dentist for a change...so I made an appointment at an all female dental clinic, very swish, all glass and chrome and when it was the day before, I got a phone call telling me that they had over booked and could I make another appointment...I said No thank you and started looking again..

I drove past a nice little house with a pretty garden, that was being used as a clinic...and the dentists name was Danielle so I took the phone # and rang them... I arrived for my appointment and was sitting in the chair when the dentist came in...This will remind everyone to read things properly...HE introduced himself as Danny and when I burst out laughing, he looked stunned until I explained that I thought he was going to be a woman named Danielle, He laughed and said that I hadn't read the sign correctly because he was Daniele, the Italian spelling of Daniel...lol
I've been going to him for almost 20 yrs now and he is a great dentist.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 16, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9307273

Good morning everyone.
The sun is out and the day is looking good. yesterday was mild in the morning then deteriorated into squally showers after lunch with a cold wind.
You would not believe that we went over to Hamilton for the car service and my hearing aid readjustment and I forgot to take the hearing aids...
Hubby thought it was funny but now I have to make a new appointment. I felt a fool when I had to explain to the very nice lady in the office.
The brain must have been having a granny moment...lol

Dianne, sounds like you have a full fruit basket there. I have given up on ever beating the birds to any fruit. We have 2 fig trees and have never had a fig. The birds pick holes in them before they even get to grow..
The apples are usually pecked to pieces too and the grapes... well...I do remember having a few once.
The only fruit we get to have a feed of are the blood plums and the nectarines.
Mainly because there are just too many for the birds to ruin.
I love all your flowers .

I have irises coming out now. ..There are as many flowers on the old ones I tossed aside in clumps as there are on the ones I kept in the main iris beds.
I have heaps of buds on the epis too.

Hello Teresa, colleen, Karen and Anthony.
Hello also to Charleen , Al and Moon.

I hope everyone is enjoying pleasant weather.

I am off outside to enjoy the sun here.

Heres a nice treat for morning tea...Apple and Blueberry Shortcake..

Happy gardening everyone.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

October 16, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9307457

Hi everyone,
Just looking at our newly planated courtyard...looks lovely, however, have found some nasties on gardenia...is it okay to spray with diluted milk 1:9? I saw somewhere that cooking oil & ??? is also used...
Would appreciate help
Many thanks,
Keep smiling all
Anna
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 16, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9307613

Anna, diluted milk is great for mould thingys but I think you would be better if the nasties you have are live beasties, using diluted dishwashing detergent . Maybe also diluted tea tree oil or diluted eucalpyptus oil may help.
Its the time all beasties and other things creep out of hiding and snack on all our lovely plants.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 16, 2012
11:33 PM

Post #9307647

I bought this lovely rose last year, it's a David Austin called "The Endeavour", it is a really pretty thing, unlike most David Austin's though it isn't perfumed which is a shame...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger         

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 16, 2012
11:47 PM

Post #9307650

Well I woke up this morning feeling rubbish.
Had porridge & even that hurt to eat, my jaw felt like it had been dislocated.
I phoned work to let them know I wouldn't be in, put the dogs away & crawled back into bed.
I didn't wake up till hubby came home.
I took Sugar for a walk since by then it was 23C & just lovely outside.
Wee weasel was a very good girl & her reward was a run at the park.
At home I felt motivated enough to tackle putting up the garden support & moving sweet pea volunteers to train up it.
I had to dig out a big clump of winter iris... not sure what to do with it now, seems shame to toss it but have a few other clumps elsewhere.
Once I cleared out the space a bit I realised I have a peony coming up - it is a piece of my lovely white one that the builders dumped concrete on top of.
Nice to have it in more than one place now.
I think my lilies will enjoy having a bit more space too.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2012 6:49 PM

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre         

Confusticated
Swan Hill
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9307676

Evening Everyone, just got home from a lovely couple of days over at Colleen's place, a huge thankyou to Colleen for sharing her garden with me, what a beautiful place, and the Broms, Brugs, Cacti and Succulents are just mind boggling.
I will be spending the next few days potting up cuttings and finding somewhere to put them all.
Hoping this lovely weather stays for a few days.
Cheers C.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 17, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9308151

Good morning everyone.
Cold but fine this morning. Yesterday was a lovely day.
I moved all the plants into the trailer ready for the T&T on Sunday.
I gave them a good water then pushed the trailer back into the shed so the plants are not sitting in the sun all day.

I will get out today and do a bit of trimming along the paths. The weeds grow while I am watching them.

Dianne, arent the David Austin roses so beautiful ?
I have 'Grace 'here. She doesnt have a strong scent either but very beautiful.
My other roses are looking sad because the parrots have been nipping off all the new pink growth so there are no flowers .
Hopefully they will soon move off elsewhere so the roses can bloom. Its the worst I have had them do . Usually just one or two plants . This time its just about every rose.

Teresa, how lovely to find that peony still alive.
It can be a pain when repairs etc need to be done but the garden then suffers.
Glad to hear the Weasel is getting so good.
I hope you are feeling much better today.

Colleen, nice for you to meet a DG person in person..lol

Anthony. hope that tooth problem has been fixed for you.
My liliums are growing fast here. Hope you are surrounded by lovely tall plants too.

Charleen, you must have given Charley a lot of hay. He hasnt been to see me for a day or two.
I gave his cookies to the birds.
Hope all is well with you . give all those furry ones a pat for me.

Moon , hope all is well over your way too. Lots of nice weather yet for you.

Al. do you have anything that grows in your garden over winter ?
Its hard for us here to imagine a yard covered in snow.

Hello Karen, , hope all is well with you and that you are getting about in the sunshine.

Hello to anyone else popping in.

I will see what I can find in the kitchen for morning tea.
Here we are ... Pineapple Upside Down Cake...

Enjoy your day and stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9308174

Since we live primarily in an agriculture district, everybody is a harvest mode right now. Potatoes, grapes, apples, hard squash, pumpkins, cabbage, and tons of others brought in before winter. About every villlage has a "harvest festival" of some sort to celebrate the end of the season, which are great fun.

Weather has been surprisingly warm, though we do get chilly nights. We call it "sweater weather". The tree cover is pretty much brown leaves and ready to be blown away with the next stiff windstorm. Then we will see nothing but ugly sticks for trees until next Spring. Hunting is a big sport here also with abundant deer, bear, and turkey. I no longer hunt in the wilds but my two sons do to restock the freezer for winter. The hunts also help control animal collisions with vehicles which are a very serious traffic problem here.

No snow just yet, we'll get some for sure in December or January! "We're dreaming of a White Christmas" (by Bing Crosby). You folks likely spend it by the beach?

Al
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 17, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9308189

Good morning everyone. Yes, Jean it was so lovely to meet a DG friend in the flesh and to share my garden. I had a lovely time. I'm going to my niece's home this morning to see one of Brian's cactus in flower that I haven't seen before. He's still always reminding us that he's not to be forgotten too easily. Gee, I miss him. Lots of excitement going on out there. Hippies popping their heads up and buds on brugs, flowers and millions!!!!! of pups on broms and lots of lovely roses. A few irises and Epis starting to flower in their new place out of the SH. The geraniums and pelies are so pretty this year. Lots of nectarines and peaches and the flowers on the citrus trees is amazing. Al, I couldn't think of anything worse than being on the beach or lake or river on Christmas Day. I'd rather be home and near an A/C just incase I need it. lol Dianne I have one David Austin Rose, I think it's called Heritage. It has a lovely perfume and you can smell it long before you see it. The yellow or Spanish Broom is lovely this year too. I picked a bunch of roses and yellow broom and brought them inside. It's wonderful to be able to do that. The boys are doing well and getting all excited as Christmas gets closer and closer and closer. Oh boy, where did the year go????? Well must go and get them ready for school. Hope everyone is well and I'll be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

aussie_flower
Vic
Australia

October 17, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9308346

Hay Dianne,
I know how to stop curly leaf!
THIS WORKS. And best of all no chemicals all el natural
Have you heard of mallow weed?
I tried the purple flower type and it doesn’t work as well as the small red flower type which gives about 99% improvement, you can completely stop it if you simply add (Modiola caroliniana)
http://www.iewf.org/weedid/Modiola_caroliniana.htm
my mature trees have no curly leaf and a younger seedling has only one leaf appear with a radish blotch, probably because its low to the ground and the mallow may have not been placed correctly, also brought in some new plants in pots and they weren’t treated so they have the curly leaf.

Probably too late now to fix the problem as it affects the dormant leaf bud, you’ll notice it doesn’t appear on the secondary leaves. I don’t pull the curly leaf off until secondary leaves appear as you are just slowing the plant down as it still uses the leaves to grow. I don’t like to leave the leaves on the tree to mature because they will eventually swell and discolour then dry and dump freaking spores for next year. I remove them when they discolour.

If you would like me to collect seed from some plants I can. No tree should have to suffer from curly leaf when it’s so easy to fix when you know how.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 17, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9308522

Hi AF, thanks for the tip and I'm glad that it works for you. but that little weed comes up in my garden and goes out just as soon as I spot it...
I tried the large mallow years ago and like yours it did nothing...
I think that I'll live with the curly leaf...some years it's worse than others but it never affects the fruit...the first 2 yrs of their growth, no CL, now it's most years...I don't have the patience to take the leaves off...
I'm in the "Live and let live" age bracket now...

Heritage is a very beautiful rose, Colleen...A while back I had a rose bed with Heritage, Reine Victoria and Mme Pierre Oger, the last 2 were first grown in the 1800's...beautiful cup shapes like Heritage and the perfume would knock you over...
I'm glad I'm not you trying to buy Christmas presents for the boys...I suppose there are lots of things for their age, it's just that they all look so expensive...
Nice that you and C had a lovely day investigating your numerous plants...I bet she went home loaded..lol
We all miss Brian, Colleen and it will be great to see that garden completed...

I think that our council must have plenty of spare cash, the street cleaner is back again...we don't have any litter on our streets, so what are they cleaning...if I could be bothered I'd ring and find out, but it's too nice sitting here on the swing in the sun...

Jean, I bought "Grace" a few years ago and she was very pretty, unfortunately she kept biting Ray on the leg and there was no where else to put her, so she had to go...The Endeavour is the only one left in the back garden now and it's in a pot...
the Azalea Alba Magnifica is about 4 ft now it's can get to 6...that Lilac turned out not to be "Sensation", it smells nice though...

Dianne

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9308750

Charley is out there in pasture with his head stuck into the hay bale. It is a big bale and not the best hay. but we got to get what we can til something better comes along.
Awwww!!! Spring!! Don't you just love the smells and beauty of spring??? My little old Boston Terrier is 13 years old and I am afraid I may have to have him "put down" he has this terrible cough and is v ery weak. It is so terrible to think about it but I know he is suffering, cause I feel I am too!!! He is never to far from me. He knows I will help. I feel so bad about having to take him to vet, but it is so sad to hear him cough and not be able to help...:-((((
So I guess this afternoon, when Hubby gets home from work, we will take him...
Everyone else is fine tho.
Love and hugs to all...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 18, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9309088

Good morning everyone. Another lovely Spring day.
Lovely to wander around the garden looking at everything so green and lush now.
Lots to do getting ready for the Trash & Treasure on Sunday.

Charleen, so sad when a furry friend has to leave us, but you will find comfort in all the others , especially your new little T Bo.
You will have many happy memories to look back on.

Dianne, your council must have lots of money to be sending the street cleaner around so often...lol.
Grace is a very pretty rose and mine is getting buds.
She has to fight her way through the Hebe as I planted her in a corner and now cannot move her.
I see her waving arms and she will put out lots of flowers .

A/F, we have a bit of curly leaf on a couple of the fruit trees, but I never worry about it, as Dianne says , it doesnt affect the fruit.

Al, those harvest festivals must be fun. I live in a rural area too but we have nothing like that at all.
You are lucky to have your freezer filled by your sons.
I used to live in Western Australia and my then partner was always able to get us plenty of wild meat.
I do miss the kangaroo steaks and the emu and goat meat.
So many do gooders here dont like anyone killing them.
I see nothing wrong in it as farmers are shooting the animals all the time and just leaving the carcasses where they drop.
Thats awful.

Hello Anthony, Colleen , Moon and Karen.

I am off to enjoy the sun and hope you all get plenty of it too.

Heres something yummy for morning tea...Delicious Chocolate Cake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 19, 2012
12:36 AM

Post #9309488

Charleen, 13 is a good age for a dog but a persistent cough might be a sign of heart troubles & sometimes that can be controlled with medication...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9309849

Yes, He also had pneumonia. We sure did enjoy our little Lucky while we had him. He is crossed the rainbow bridge and is in no pain now.
We got him Buried and the other dogs don't know anything. I'm sure they still smell him but they didn't smell him after he was put to sleep. We got him buried. Got the rocks on him and a Garden bench seat over him so nothing can dig him up.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 19, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9309890

Good morning everyone.
Its a bit cool here this morning after a beautiful day yesterday.
I hope the weather stays nice for tomorrow's T&T.

Charleen, you will remember your little friend when ever you sit on that seat.
Its good to know that you were thinking of him and helped him on his way to doggie heaven instead of leaving him in pain as some selfish people do.
Charley has been ignoring me lately. He has not been up to the Tea Room for any cookies. I think hes sulking because I give some to T Bo too...lol

I will ask Dianne to open the Tea Room tomorrow. We will be leaving very early to get over to Hamilton and set up all the tables & plants. They open a gate for the sellers to set up at &am then the main gates open for the public at 9am.
If Dianne is unable to open , whoever is first to arrive can open the door.
I will leave extra cakes in the kitchen.

Hello Dianne, Colleen, Anthony, Al, Moon ans Karen.
Hope everyone is well and enjoying some sun.

I am off to see what needs to be done on the last of my retic hose fittings in the vegie garden.

Here a treat for you all today... Choc Mint Shortbreads..

Enjoy the weekend and stay safe.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9309952

Cruel and in humane treatment of Mules, when you give the cookies to T Bo. T Bo loves food, I had Nachoes for Dinner. You should see him eat the chips!!! He does love his food. Hubby told me this morning that when he fixed himself an egg this morning, he had to fix one for T Bo.
Talk about Rotten!!!
I baked an Apple cake,,,Oooooo, too good!!!!
Hugs to all...
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

October 19, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9309975

Happy Saturday! Hope everyone is well and enjoying their gardens.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2012 6:49 PM
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9310081

I remember "Lucky", he came out to greet us when we came to visit last January! Sorry for your loss Charleen. I hate taking them to the vet, but sometimes it's just the best thing do.

Give my regards to Charley and all the rest.

Al

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 19, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9310140

Another nice day for a change...
Charleen, it's nice that Lucky got to meet T Bo and now T Bo will help take away the sense of loss that you feel...you did the right thing by Lucky...

Jean, I will try to drag myself out of bed in time, I'm sure that Colleen won't let me sleep in...
Have a very successful day at Hamilton...

I went to our local nursery today and they have set up a section, only for Christmas decorations, (Early aren't they) but these decorations even stopped me, in my tracks...they were just beautiful...
I felt like throwing out my (years old) tree and buying one of these beauties...Some of the decos,I had never seen anything like before...all feathers and glitter and glass...needless to say I resisted...
but it was a pleasure just looking...

Hi Kat, nice to see you pop in..

Have a good day everyone, I'll go and set my alarm...
Dianne
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 19, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9310149

{{{hugs}}} Charleen.
Not an easy decision to help a loved pet on their way to the rainbow bridge.
It broke my heart to say good bye to Chita a couple of years ago.
Take care - Teresa
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 19, 2012
11:43 PM

Post #9310257

managed to do 2 loads of washing, vacuum the house, cleaned the back door - it was looking very black with mildew & is back to white (mostly) now.
Then off down to the Post Office to send in my entries for the Dalmatian Specialty show.
Did some window shopping since I don't often have the time by myself to wander the shops.
Then home for lunch, mowed the lawns & took photos of some of the newly opened flowers.
And I had fun with Sugar & Copper playing fetch & other silly games to stop the weasel from getting bored & eating the washing off the line.
the sun shone, the birds sang & it was a really lovely day :)

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9310434

Hugs to you Charleen...I think we can all share in your feelings, I lost Chester, my Springer Spaniel at 10 years old to diabetes, last December...

My silly little Brugmansia has finally decided to bloom...more than one or two blooms a season...It was decided that it is a variegated Shredded Brug...but I don't think it can make up its' mind...A couple are shredded, but most are not. I really like the green/yellow stripes on the blooms.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl      

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 20, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9310570

All the blooms are Fantastic. I love the Spring and the Fall...Waking up and going to sleep...
Thank you all. Yes, Al, you did get to meet Lucky. We enjoyed your visit.
Been moving plant into the house, hubby is going to be looking for Tarzen to come swinging thru the leaves...(hahahaha)
Picked some up by the main branch and the pots came off. they needed new soil. I even put one in a smaller pot. Coffee bean plant has a yellow glow to it. i gave it some hormones so maybe it will green up. I pruned it back too...
Yes T Bo has helped, Lucky is in Heaven waiting at the Rainbow bridge along with the other pets that have gone on...
Hugs and love to all...

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 20, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9310747

Good morning everyone. Jean has a market today so we have to do without our cakes this morning unless someone else brings some in. Dianne, Dianne, did you sleep in? I thought that we were going to get a nice storm here yesterday evening but it was all hot air. A bit of rumbling and plenty of black clouds but about a teaspoon of rain. I hope you all have a wonderful day and Jean I hope you sell all your plants and come home rolling in money, [so you can buy more] lol. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Confusticated
Swan Hill
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9310765

Morning Everyone, a bit cooler here today and the wind is picking up, rain was forecast for Jean's area so I hope it doesn't arrive until after the markets are finished for her, and yes sell lots and lots Jean. As much as we need rain for the crops and gardens I am enjoying the sunshine, it seems to have been a very long dull winter this year.
I planted some Golden Nugget Pumpkin seeds under the Blood orange tree and hoped a couple might come up, the whole lot came up so I will have pumpkins everywhere if they all survive, oh well pumpkin soup for next winter lol.
Have a great day everyone,
Cheers Robyn.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9310774

Hello all. Here is a little something to munch on while waiting for Jean's report on the T&T sales. Hope you all have a lovely day.

Fudge Nut Brownies

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 20, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9310792

I didn't sleep in Colleen...I was down at Mick's paddock, the grass is so high in the open area that I thought I would let him have a graze on this sunny morning...his paddock looks as though it has been mown with a mower...he is such a glutton...
While I was there, this lovely dessert was making itself on the internet for morning tea...so we can have moons' brownies and whatever this is...

Moon, I think that Brug of yours is quite lovely...I like the different flowers it throws...

Those little pumpkins are so tasty C...you need lots anyway...lol

Charleen that is a wonderful pic of the 2 dogs...love it...

Jean, we are all watching over your shoulder to make sure that you don't spend all your profit...
Have a great day everyone...

This message was edited Oct 21, 2012 4:46 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 20, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9310818

This boy looks me right in the eye when I take his picture. He is not Camera Shy. He helped me garden this afternoon. Tore out a large Lantana saved one root for next year. Feel like I been run over. I know it is going to be worse in the AM.
I made this little ornament of Lucky. See his Halo??? and wings...
Charley sends you all nuzzles and Abigail lay me an egg...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule      

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 20, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9310845

Sorry for you, losing Lucky, Charleen...I know all the other animals there will help you through your sorrow...Anthony[hello everyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 21, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9311406

Good morning everyone. Its a beautiful sunny morning .
Yesterday was a bit cloudy with light fog when we left for the T&T.
Warm later and a great day.
We did get a little sprinkle late afternoon and the day turned cold . By that time we were home anyway.
I sold 3/4 of the plants I took over and made a very nice profit.
I bought no plants at all for myself , so was very good.
There were only about 4 people selling plants and mainly the common daisies, irises etc. nothing I dont have already.
I was able to enjoy lots of garden talk with customers as I do have some that look for me there now.
I have a couple of ladies coming to buy at home here next week so a great day out.

Now I start gathering new plants together for the next T&T in the early New Year.
Its a good time to be taking new cuttings and splitting plants.

Charleen, I really love your little little ornament of Lucky. You are getting very good at these.
Take it easy there too. Dont do too much at once in the garden.
I know the feeling, once you start, you simply must finish what you are doing.
Hugs for T Bo and cookies out for Charley and friends. I did throw a lot of stale bread out for Abigail and her feathered friends too.

Anthony, how are things doing down there in the vortex ?
Did you get more dahlias at all.
I saw a few yesterday, but only one color so they stayed there.
Your garden is going to be a sea of color when everything is flowering

Dianne, I could feel someone watching me yesterday.
I was so good in not spending my profits. I will wait until I go to Mt Gambier before Christmas..
I hope that wind you had didnt damage too many plants. No wind at all here which is a nice change.

Colleen, thanks for opening the Tea Room. I did find a last slice of Dianne's sweet dessert this morning.
I'll have it for my morning tea.

Moon, thank you for the lovely brownies for everyone. I didnt see any left over so they must have been good. .

Hello Karen, Al, Robyn, and Teresa.
I am off to tidy the car and put the leftover plants back in the shadehouse.
More weeds to get at around the irises today too. The irises are all starting to open so should be a lovely display later .
I have lots of buds coming on the iris reject piles too. Hopefully I may sell off a few to the ladies that are coming to see the garden..
Have to fix Michael too ( my scarecrow) he is looking very sad as his hat has fallen off , his pants are falling to pieces and he needs a need jacket.
Cant have him looking so shabby as he is seen by all driving along the road.
too the locals a while to realise it wasnt me out there when I first put him up. .
They used to wave to him...lol

Hers something tasty for you all...Almond and Strawberry Cake..

Keep safe and enjoy the day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 21, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9311843

it poured with rain this morning & only cleared for a little while this arvo, the timing was great as my brother in law & his fiancée were visiting and Baz's friend that owns the other Auster in our(the one we rent) hanger.
I was able to dig out lettuce seedlings for them & after they left I kept gardening, weeded most of the garden & potted up 7 more lots of lettuce seedlings to take in to work tomorrow.
Labour day here so no work :)
While the sun was out I also dug up a couple of my azaleas & moved them across the drive way to the North facing garden, the other side seems a bit to soggy for them so hopefully this time they will be happy & do a bit better.
More cloud came over so I finished up & now I can spend some time online.
Dinner is in the slow cooker, shin beef on the bone with potato & onion along with a tin of basil pesto tomatoes.
Smells good, and so easy to prepare.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 21, 2012
11:55 PM

Post #9311874

That dinner sounds good, Teresa...
Congrats on your profitable day at the T&T Jean...nice to make a profit doing what you love...hope you sell some of those Iris.
A couple of nice days ahead for us, weather wise...until the weekend off course..

I bought a Christmas cake from Aldi today...it looks and smells delicious...I won't be making one this year so I'll cheat and pour some brandy over this one and soak it for a few weeks.
Have a nice evening all.
Dianne

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9312109

You will love this one then. Made it last night. Spirit horse
Just a pretty Pendant horse
Guess this could be Like the opposites of each other. I do love to do horses and Wish I were better with people. Oh, well, I try.
Don't forget to post a photo of Michael for us again. I hope Abigail doesn't want to sit on his head. If you see T Bo he may try to drag him out into the yard for a romp...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 22, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9312407

Good morning everyone.
I am sitting here without a jumper at the moment. Its not so cold as the last few mornings have been.
Yesterday was lovely and warmer today is forecast.

Teresa, the slow cookers are such a great thing. I use mine often during the cold weather. So easy to just turn on leave to cook away slowly.
Hubby loves the ham hocks done that way.
Pat the spotty ones for me. I hope Sugar is continuing to behave well as a lady should.

Charleen, You are getting so good at those cute ornaments.
I like the black & white horses together.
I will add a pic of Michael when he gets dressed up again.
T Bo cannot have him to play with.
I dont mind if Abigail sits near him ( not on him ) as long as she leaves me an egg or two...lol

Dianne, I like going into our Aldi store here. You never know what you may find.
I always get my Christmas cake and pudding there.
Very yummy, but I leave the brandy off. Hubby would like it but not for me.

Hello Anthony, hope you are not getting that wind down there.
I have tiny little buds on a couple of the asiatics here. Very early this year.
I also found a couple of small shoots in one of the pots I though had died . Not sure which lilium but I will find out next year hopefully.
( Dimension I think )
Looking forward to see your flower pics later.

Hello Moon, and Al. I am not sure if you wish for a white Christmas or not but I hope its still warm there for you.

Hello Colleen. I have a lovely white flower on the arum lily you sent. I put it out in the patch I have under the willow. The whites grow there along with the Green Goddess.

Hello to everyone else looking in.
Hope the weatehr is kind to you all.
I am off to check out my brugs etc. I have the first lot of broad beans grow ing bigger daily. we will enjoy a feed soon.

Heres your morning tea treat... Lots of assorted Cream Cakes..
( I can just hear Brian and Lisa asking for more cream )

Enjoy the day. Christmas is sneaking up on us.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 22, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9312444

Yes, Jean not enough cream for them is there? Hi everyone. Well things are progressing at last for Brian's Memory Cactus Garden. I had a meeting with a couple of councilors, one being the planning bloke and they are pretty keen. The even came and had a look at all the cactus. I have to have a plan of the garden drawn up and what goes where, so that the OHS lady can come and assess the danger for the public. We have to follow all the rules. Over 2 years now, but maybe we can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel . The Arum lilies are lovely aren't they Jean? So pure looking. We haven't had any rain here to speak of. Lots of black clouds and thunder and lightening but only a couple of spits. It doesn't seem as though anyone is getting any significant rain. Must go and get the boys ready. Have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 22, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9312467

Colleen, the lovely cactus garden in Mt Gambier is surrounded by a cyclone fence about 4 foot high. You can see all the plants and take pictures and are you are safe from any falling cacti.
( unless a stupid idiot climbs over )
It seems to be a good way of merging cacti & public.
Maybe the OHS person could investigate this option.
One doesnt need to be right up close & personal with cacti to admire them.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 22, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9312484

Thank goodness they are getting started on the garden...it's been long enough..
That wire fence is a good idea, Jean...no OHS prob with that.

I have to peg down my climbing rose today it's going in all directions...

Very pretty Charleen, they would be very popular.
Have a good day all.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Confusticated
Swan Hill
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9312504

Morning Everyone, the wind is howling here ...again, and stirring up my allergies, wish it would go somewhere else, or we could have some rain to settle the dust and pollen. I should have some nice fresh fruit from my stone fruit this year finally, I planted them about 4 years ago when I moved here and they all seem to have lots of young fruit this year. The almond tree has almonds the size of golf balls on it, hope I can beat the cockies to them.
Getting excited about my upcoming trip to Perth, I fly over next Monday then drive back on Wednesday, should be fun, haven't been across the Nullabor for 20 years or more.
Have a great day Everyone. Cheers Robyn.

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9312522

Spent the weekend cleaning up the garden for the winter. We collected hundreds of seed pods from marigolds, sunflowers, coneflowers, zinnias, and susans. We had several dahlia roots that also had to be pulled and sorted. The excess seeds we don't need for next year will be donated to our local parks commission in the city for all to use and see next year.

Weather has been splendid, just slightly cool with light frosts at night. Days have been downright warm with shirtsleeve temps in the afternoons. We finally turned the burner on to take off the morning chills but it doesn't stay on long.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 23, 2012
12:50 AM

Post #9312783

Al what a neat idea to donate excess seed to local parks.

I took the lettuce seedlings in to work, everyone was thrilled at the chance to add to their vegie gardens.

Normally Labour weekend is when to plant tomatoes in Canterbury, I am glad I didn't get around to it yesterday as this morning we had a frost & they are predicting another tomorrow!

The tomato plants are happy enough on the kitchen window sill for now so I'll leave them another week at least.
My Sweet 100 has more than doubled in height so I'd like to get it outside as soon as it's safe.

Robyn - enjoy your trip to Perth, I did a 3 week trip, from Brisbane via the out back, we stayed at Innaminka,
Birdsville, Ayers Rock & a lot of tiny townships - and one rodeo grounds on the way.

The trip back was 3 days on a bus via the Nullabor, the hardest part was the last 11 hours from Sydney to Brisbane.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 23, 2012
2:31 AM

Post #9312794

Almond trees?-I heard that!!!

Thumbnail by g_whizz

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 23, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9313351

Good morning everyone.
Lovely day yesterday, but became cooler in late afternoon. Very windy also.
This morning is very grey. I think we are in for a bit of rain later. Do the garden good as the ground does dry quickly.
I finally finished all the drippers along the vegie garden retic hoses. Now I can just turn taps on and let the timers do the work. All I have to do is turn the taps off at the end of the days watering.
Once a week gives a good soak and from the forecast for a hot summer, the plants will be looking for their weekly drink .

Anthony, There were lots of almond trees where I used to live and plenty of Cocky's relatives there to clean them up too.
Look out Robyn, you may see a white feathered visitor from Tassie.

Al. I see on the news that parts of the US are still getting high temps.Its nice that it cools down at night though.
Soon you will be wishing for the warm back.
Your marigolds are very pretty.
I have thrown marigold seed around here but the only ones that grew didnt last long.
I do have the wallflowers which come up all different colors each year.
The self sown seeds that do drive me mad are the honesty and a species geranium ( cranesbill).
They get into the oddest places and I am forever pulling them out.
I do love the ferny look of the geranium maderense , but it can also be a pest. Lucky they are all easy to pull out.

Teresa, sounds like you had a wonderful trip through our inland. I just love the colors in our great outback. The red sands are always changing as the sun moves.

Hello Colleen, Dianne, Moon, and Charleen.
Hope you are all enjoying some lovely weather.

Heres something yummy for morning tea...Caramel Peanut Butter Bars.

I am off to check on all the baby brugs.

Enjoy the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 23, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9313365

Good morning everyone. Grey and gloomy this morning with a little nip in the air. Supposed to be 35C today. I hope they're wrong. Lots of washing to do today. Little one had an accident last night, pillow as well. Oh boy. The epis are looking good this year. I have my very first large red this year. Everyone says that's the most common but I couldn't get mine to grow and flower. Finally the patience pays off. I'm so glad that I found the names of my English brugs. That's a load off my mind. I knew they couldn't be far as I have all the brug stuff together but they were being elusive. Colleen the hound dog sniffed them out though. Have been talking to my older brother Bill over the last couple of days about Brian's memory garden. He has designed it for me, now I have to hand that to the council for approval. Gee they make every little thing hard work. Dianne it is by no means a certainty yet. I just have to keep pushing [gently] Well must get a move on as I have Thai Chi this morning. Have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Confusticated
Swan Hill
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9313466

Morning Everyone, it's a dull grey morning here too, but it doesn't look much like rain, supposed to get to 34 here as well and it's warming up outside already. It would be lovely if we did get some rain, save me from having to water everything before I go.
The outback is a fascinating place, I lived in Kingoonya for about 12 years, and miss it a lot, I don't miss the flies and the dust though lol. You never knew what sort of 'visitor' you might find on your doorstep, emus, kangaroos, major mitchell cockatoos, cockatiels, budgerigars, goannas, snakes and once a beautiful male dingo. They used to come and visit looking for water, so I had buckets of rain water set up for them. And you could see for miles and miles, the salt lakes were stunning at sunset or under a full moon.
I had better go and do some washing, then work out what clothes to take with me and think about packing them.
Cheers Robyn
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 24, 2012
12:58 AM

Post #9313726

I was amazed by the Stony desert - in the morning if you looked ahead it looked like a sea of red as far as the eye could see - but looking back it looked like asphalt...
the shadows of the rocks blended together to create the illusion.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9313983

Bright sunny day, and no rain :-(... sure do need it.
Brugs are blooming and smelling so good.
Hope you all have a good day, even tho gloomy.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 24, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9314249

Good morning everyone.
A dull morning here but not cold or windy yet.
Yesterday was quite warm but turned cooler with a few sprinkles.
My irises are all stating to open now with the warm weather. Lots of green around and it all looks so lush .
Pity in a few months it will all be brown again..
Hubby likes to walk around admiring everything while its lovely & green.

Its shopping day again so I am going to enjoy spending some of my profits from the T&T.
I will say hello to all and see what I can find in the kitchen for morning tea.

Here we are ...Devils Food Cake...

Enjoy the day and find time to sit and admire a garden somewhere.
Happy day
Jean..

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 24, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9314446

Day off-public holiday, Royal Hobart Show!!!! raining and cold as usual on show day.,.I delivered some animal enclosures to there on Tuesday and purchased 1 mint and 1 purple Carnation pot from a grower who had come over from Murray Bridge to sell at the show..

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 24, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9314493

Have a nice day off, Anthony...
Would you post a pic of those carnations if they are in flower?...my little pinks are just starting in the front garden and the perfume on the warmer days is wonderful...

It's blowing a gale and has turned very cold here, so we came home early from shopping, no garden product browsing, though we did pick up 3 bales of compressed pea straw to try it...usually we buy bales of it and it takes up all of the boot...so I thought that we would try the compressed, much easier to load...our son has our ute at the moment...somehow I don't think it will be coming back..lol

One of my lovely Tree Peonies is flowering, the yellow hasn't produced any flowers this year for some reason, but Boreas did the right thing and flowered...the colour really isn't half as deep and as beautiful as it truly is..
Hope that you bought something nice for yourself, Jean...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 25, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9315269

Good morning everyone. Cloudy here, and a bit cold. No wind as yet which is nice.
Yesterday was quite a nice day with a few light sprinkles.
No strong winds at all.
Dianne, you keep that wind down there, I get enough over the year without any more popping up.
I bought no plants at all. I was looking for a couple pf azaleas but surprisingly there were none at all.
I would have expected large displays of them along with other spring flowering plants.
All I saw were a few rather tatty hydrangeas and a lot of petunias,carnations and pinks. A few salvias too , but nothing like I was looking for.
There are no decent nurseries anywhere in the whole area .
I need to go over to Mt Gambier to see what is available.
Even there, the larger stores have mostly gone out of plants except for a few of those "designer "plants only suitable for indoors.
The nurseries seem to stock all the same types and are usually tatty or potbound.
There is one place I will try over there. It is a very shabby looking nursery with so many plants jammed in , but one can often find a treasure if the price is right.

Anthony, I hope you enjoyed the show if you went along. Not good weather for it though from the sound of it.

I will be going outside when the sun gets itself out from the clouds.
I bought a few new garden hose bits and will finally get rid of the old bits along the paths. I had to get a new tap timer so I can safely leave the tap on for a short time while doing other things. The old one had given up .
Great invention, tap timers.

I hope you are all getting ready for the impending attack of the Christmas heebie jeebies.
You know... did I buy him/her the right thing ? Will I need one of those...or maybe two ? Did I send a card to him/her ?
All the lovely little thoughts that will niggle at you until its all over for another year...lol

I had better go make a cuppa as I am not venturing out just yet. Its a bit nippy out there.

I hope you all enjoy your day..
Here a treat for morning tea...Apple and Cinnamon Slice.

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 25, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9315292

Good morning everyone. We had the wind here again Jean. but it's lovely out there at the moment. a bit overcast but not too cold. Friday again, Where do the weeks go? Yes Christmas presents to buy. I already have some but still a few to go. Must get my cards out otherwise it's December and no-one gets one. One son, John, loves Christmas and buys presents for everyone [just about anyway] but the other son just thinks it's all too commercialised ? and doesn't go into it very much at all. He says instead of buying him a present just spend it on myself. It's not the same and never happens anyway, because there's always something else to spend the money on not me. Are your Epis flowering Jean? Mine have hundreds of buds. What a show if they all came out at once, but then they wouldn't flower for long would they? Dianne, that Peony is so beautiful. I did have a couple once but I didn't look after them properly so I think they're gone. My first Hippies are starting to flower now. Just the common red one but gee they're lovely and they are so colourful. I got the boy's paints out yesterday and just sat and painted grass and trees and flowers and a couple of sleepy lizards and rocks. I can't really paint but I enjoyed myself and it was soooo relaxing. The boys loved it and now they want to put it in a frame and hang it up. I have two little admirers anyway. Well must go Have a great day everyone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 25, 2012
11:25 PM

Post #9315663

I just noticed a new iris in the garden, it looks like it may be yellow but until the flower opens i won't know for sure.
I got some from the RSA when they removed a garden to make way for the renovations.
I don't remember planting it where it has come up.
I put a piece in the daffodil garden but I don't think that one made it.
I love the way my garden still springs surprises on me :)
Or maybe it's just my terrible memory...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 26, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9316249

Good morning everyone.
Yesterday was quite cold and plenty of squally rain showers . The morning looked good for start then went downhill.
Nothing was done outside. Today looks like being the same. I want the rain for the garden but its frustrating not being able to work outside.
Of course , all the weeds are laughing.
We have a very annoying sticky weed here that grows feet overnight.. It is a creeping ferny looking thing that has virtually invaded the whole garden now.
Easy to pull out, but it can sneak in and out and under plants before you see it poke its head up.
Very hard to use Roundup on it because of the open structure and thin creeping runners.
It likes to hug the plants so you cannot attack it with spray. Being a lovely green it blends in so well too.
I am happy to share it with anyone else...LOL

Hello Teresa. Its nice to see the irises coming out now. You are lucky that one survived the workmen at your place.
They only need a tiny piece left in the ground to start growing again.
I am finding irises coming up among the beans now . I was positive I had dug all the bits out.
Hope the weasel is behaving for you.

Lovely epi Colleen.
Mine are also full of buds. Going to be a lovely show.
It must have been a mild year for them here, because I had about 5 flower during winter.
Still have a few flowers on the zygos too.
Nice to see something being done on Brians garden.

Hello Charleen, Charley was here this morning. Looking for cake again.
I see Abigail following him too.
T Bo wasnt around, he must have stayed home with you.

Hello Al and Moon. Are you still getting the unseasonal warm there ?
Soon be Christmas and you may have a warm one this year.

Hello Karen, Dianne and Anthony. Hope all is well with you all.

I am going to get another cuppa and sit here until I see the sun outside.
Its light rain at the moment.

Heres a treat for morning tea...Banana Chocolate Cake

Enjoy the weekend
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Confusticated
Swan Hill
Australia
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9316361

Morning Everyone, it's cool and sunny here, still quite breezy, I will be madly watering everything before I head off tomorrow, hopefully everything will survive while I am away for 2 weeks.
I just bought a gorgeous Aloe on ebay, A.Mitriformis x Brevifolia variegata, quite stunning with dark green and white leaves.
Cheers Robyn.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 27, 2012
2:57 AM

Post #9316686

Hello everyone..Hope you are all well.Im going through a tough one at the moment[shock], but hope to be back on track soon-Anthony[worlds best lily grower]
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2012

Post #9316840

Hurricane Sandy is coming up the east coast, tracking is another 2 or 3 days for us. Hope Charleen and Moon are doing okay, they're a lot closer to it than us right now. We'll probably see the classic Nor'easter by tuesday or wednesday, they can be nasty but not unusual this time of year. Temps are noticably cooler and rainy but we've been shopping in th city this weekend.

Went to the big Ringling Circus with Olivia, had a great time with all the animals and acts.

Al

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012

Post #9316842

Have a safe trip Robyn and do hope you have fun.

Anthony? I do hope things are okay there...and yes, you are the Lily growing King...Grin

Jean, with winter coming here soon, I am going to have to stay away from Morning Tea...too many good yummies and not enough outside activity...GRIN Has anyone herad from Marleneanne lately? She and Chookie and Elaine are all MIA.

Hope everyone has a pleasant Sunday.

Moon

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9316845

Hi Al, fingers crossed that H Sandy does a hard right away from the coast. Charleen and I should see little to nothing from Sandy as we are well away from the eastern coast. Thanks for the good thoughts...the same to you and yours...I have friends in Jacksonville, FL area, Buffalo, NY and Southwick, Mass...they are all on alert also.

I know Olivia must have had a grand time ...somehow we never get too old for circus magic...grin

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9317127

I love the circus. I know Olivia did too. Only thing is, with 3 rings, there's too much going on to see everything. I loved it.
I hope we get some much needed rain but our weathermen are not excited like when it snows, so Moon is right. Probably nothing.
You have a great weekend.

Oh, he heard something in the woods and looked so beautiful, had to take a picture...
Then he came up to fence to see if I had anything to give him.
Al, Charley says
"Hello" and Jean he says "thanks for the cookies"

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule         

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 27, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9317168

Good morning everyone.
Its very nippy here this morning but a clear sky and the sun is trying to look warm.
I will be out & about later getting caught up with all I couldnt do in the rain.
I am going to replace the sprays in the overhead misting system I have in the fernery. It is great for the ferns etc in the shadehouse during any hot weather.

Al, so glad you are out of harms way with that enormous hurricane coming.
Nice to see that you & Olivia enjoyed the circus. I havent seen one since I was around 8 years old.

Moon , nice to see that you are also out of the way of the hurricane too.

Charleen, I am glad you are not likely to be in any bad weather from that hurricane also.
I see Charley is looking very good there. I think he needs a run around the block. Too many cookies.
I will give any extra ones to Abigail and cut Charley down to just 2 per day.

Anthony, whatever is going on in your life , I hope it soon rights itself and we have your smiling face back .
looking forward to all those lovely blooms of yours when they start.

Dianne, I have a few new seeds popping up here so hopefully yours will be the same.
Give Tilly a pat and one of Charleys cookies.

Teresa, how is work going ? You should be seeing some lovely weather too. I did send it over, but maybe it got lost over the ocean.
Pat the spotty ones for me.

Hello Chrissy, Karen , Colleen and everyone else looking in.

Heres something very yummy for morning tea...Coffee Cake ( with cream of course )

Have a great day and enjoy the sun if you have it.

Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 27, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9317410

pink parasol-asiatic

Thumbnail by g_whizz

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 27, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9317440

Hi, all...Jean, I thought that Charley looked a bit that way and no wonder..all those cookies.
none for Tilly thanks, she is a little barrel, who finds it hard to jump up on the bed these days and she gets furious when I start laughing after 3 or 4 tries.
Nice pic of him though, Charleen...
You've been putting some very funny emails thru lately...thanks for those as I always send them on...

Glad that you had a lovely time at the circus, Al...I haven't been to one since the kids were little..my son is 42 today so it must be about 30 yrs...wow.

Hey, world's best lily grower, keep your chin up...everything passes good or bad...
My Nepalense seems to be making good growth...it seems to have spread underground in the pot, the Duchartrii looks ok too...it didn't grow downwards thru the bottom of the pot this year, thank goodness...
everything else is growing well...
Have a great time Robyn, see you when you get back..take pics when you can.

Hi moon, we seem to have a few friends that are keeping very busy lately...I hope Chookie comes back, I like hearing about her chooks and garden, she must still be with family.
I hope that Hurricane does turn right for all in it's path...very scary time...

I'm spreading pea straw today, so better hop too it...
Dianne.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 27, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9317446

Couldn't find a pic of it, Anthony...don't forget to post when it flowers...it looks lovely and strong...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 27, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9317513

Good afternoon everyone. Lovely mild sunny day here today. Have been out and watered all the pots and checked everything out. Lots of excitement going on with all the brugs and broms and epis and cactus and lilies. Lots of lovely pics this time of the year. Here are some of the Epis. Have a great day everyone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 27, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9317514

thanks for sending the nice weather Jean...
it did arrive I made for a lovely day at training.
The weasel played with her mates & then put in some good work in the rally-o ring.
I need to keep pushing myself so that I can get out & compete with her.
She has some breed shows coming up so I am hoping she can do well there but apart from teaching her to gait smoothly & stand nicely for the judge there isn't much I can do to influence our chances.
Either the judge likes her or not.

I think a couple of my irises copped a bit of round up spray drift.
I am impressed with how they survive a dose of poison but the flowers look a bit odd.
I was happy to see a pink aquilegia in the garden, I have only had blues & white so far but Mum gave me seed that included pink parents & I scattered it in several places.
It might have come from across the road as well, there are some clumps of really nice ones & between the birds & our wandering cat I end up with new plants.

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 28, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9317672

Its one of 'Camdales' unregistered newies, Dianne!-and definately, we will all get a look at it..,.,and many other brand spankin newie crosses that will flower this year,.,I'm climbing a mountain at the moment, and unfortunately I was delivered with an horrendous scene of animal cruelty on Wednesday, which I consider the person responsible, would have to be mentally very sick, but It will stay with me every day for the rest of my life...Teresa, Ive only just realised the beauty of Aquilegras, All the ones I Inherited are absolutely beautiful-Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9317741

Oh Anthony how horrible. So sorry that happened to a poor animal. Just remember, mountain climbs are easier with friends. Hugs and good thoughts to you.

Beautiful flowers Dianne, Teresa and Colleen.

My daughter in Brisbane has started writing for a site called WeekendNotes. It costs nothing to subscribe to her articles, but helps her a great deal to have subscribers...you get an e-mail whenever she has a new item to read. I would appreciate it if you all would give it a look. (It is accessible to us in the US also)

http://www.weekendnotes.com/northside-boxing-gym/

Hope you all have a lovely Monday.

Moon
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9317894

Beautiful flowers everyone, I'd love to be there in the Spring. Maybe I'll make some travel plans when I win the lottery, but unfortunately not right now...

Weather here is still quite calm and very foggy and cold. We're expecting a backlash from Sandy around Tuesday, but don't know what it'll bring. Posssibly even an early snow but we're prepared for the worst. We learn to live with power outages and such, it's just the way it is here. Enjoy your Spring blooms!

Al

This message was edited Oct 28, 2012 11:12 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 28, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9317933

Our thoughts are with all of you over the pond and in the path of Sandy, we hope you will all be safe.

Anthony go outside and look at your pretty bulbs and take some comfort in your special place, so sorry you feel so awful.

Moon I have to get hubby ready for a day of tests with Specialists today so I am up early.
When I get back home I will check out your daughter's weekend notes ^_^ ...how exciting.

I hope everyone has a gentle day.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 28, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9318183

Good morning everyone.
Another cold morning but the sun is shining so hopefully a warm day later.
Off to see the hearing people again today and I did remember to put the hearing aids in my bag this time. It was embarrassing to turn up last time without them.
I was out in the sun yesterday once it warmed a bit. Lots of watering to do on the brugs. Being under trees , they seem to miss a lot of the rain.

Anthony, spend some time each day just contemplating your lovely plants. It will ease those awful feelings.
Cruelty of any sort is terrible and I often wonder if those that do the things are really quite human.
Its lovely to see that you have new bulbs coming up.
I have given up competing with the blackbirds and just keep all the bulbs in the ground now.
I like the birds around so a compromise had to be reached. One cant have netting strung everywhere.

Al, Moon and Charleen and all our other US friends, heres hoping nothing bad comes your way in the wake of the hurricane. You dont want snow yet.
I see that Hawaii had a tsunami . Hope all is well there too.
Mother Nature does like to try us out, but we just have to live with her moods.

Teresa, that is damage from Roundup spray drift.
I do see it from time to time. The good thing is the plants will be normal next year.
I got a bit close to the roses this year and had a lot of leaf damage on one side.
Usually I paint the stuff on close to the plants but thought I was okay this time. I have an iris with just one stem of funny flowers while the rest of the stems are quite normal. I cut them off as they are ugly..
Nice to hear that Sugar is coming along so well .
I love the aquilegias too. They grow well here so I have several. There is a tall one with small double burgundy flowers and a larger yellow and white.

Colleen, lovely epis. Mine are quite a way from flowering yet. They are usually starting by now but with the extra long spell of cold weather they wont be out until late next month.
I see some of mine that have not flowered before have buds. Be nice to see new ones.

Dianne, hope you got all your pea straw down. I used to use lots of it here too but its become so hard to find and expensive anyway. I am glad the plants cover most of the ground now so I just have to pull a few odd weeds between them.
I have a surprise in the garden too. Your little girl is open . Must get a new pic and put her over on the brug thread.

Hello to everyone else. Better move myself as we are going over to Hamilton early to do a bit of shopping and have lunch before my appointment .

Heres a lovely treat for morning tea...Chocolate Cake.
(always a favorite)

keep safe and dry
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 28, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9318612

Why ever would they call that monster "Sandy"...say Sandy and people think of ONJ and Grease.
I feel so sorry for all the people that will be affected by it...the predictions are very scary...

Moon, I have become a subscriber...nice little article on the gym...
Jean, that is one of the few good things about a small garden, it doesn't cost much to mulch it...
The Ivoire pics are lovely,

Those colour of those Epis must look wonderful all grouped together, Colleen...

Those cheeky Blue Wrens have become so accustomed to us being in the garden, that now they are demanding we don't walk near where their babies are and the babies are just as bold...they love hopping around in the bushes and the other day, the dominant male saw me coming up the couple of steps to the garden and stood in front of me hopping up and down and screeching in his high pitched little voice, then one of his babies flew onto the handrail and started chastising me too.

What a cheek, they are so tiny and yet so bossy...I backed off, but I couldn't stop laughing at these tiny birds...that didn't discourage them either...
They've since bailed Ray up and he doesn't stay near them either..Tilly is the only one they let into their
area, she takes no notice of them hopping around.

Dianne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 28, 2012
11:29 PM

Post #9318619

I could hear them, while I was posting...so I thought that I might take some pics...
They were eating the aphids in the curly leaf on the peach tree...
The brown ones are the females and the young...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 29, 2012
12:06 AM

Post #9318628

I bought myself a couple of planter bags today, they are just the right size to have on the terrace & I will put my tomatoes, lettuce & some herbs in.
Might even get adventurous & try carrots & a few other vegies.
Had potted capsicum one year that did very well on the terrace so might give them another go.

take care everyone
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 29, 2012
2:32 AM

Post #9318648

very cute,Dianne,.,They nest here every year too.. and now they know Sooty is too old and slow, I think they feel safe,.,.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9318744

Good Morning.

Thanks Chrissy. Good thoughts go with you and Hubby.

Yes Jean, our weather has become quite contentious of late. Guess Mother Nature is doing her part to warn us that we are not in control...but merely caretakers and we seem to be slipping at doing our job. Have a lovely day in Hamilton.

They are very much like our house wrens here Dianne...bossy and feisty. They are used to the cats also...they wait til the cats have finished eating and swarm in to clean the bowl. Fortunately they are off the cats' radar...and "beneath" their interest. Grin Thank you so much for giving Jan's article a look and subscribing...we both do appreciate it.

Hi Anthony. Hope you are feeling better and brighter today.

Fall is here...our daytime temp has been reaching 28C but last night it dropped to 6C...almost 40 degree difference...BRRR. Told Hubby we need to stop being grasshoppers and get busy finishing up outside before it gets really cold.

Colleen, I do hope the Council gets things rolling on Brian's Garden. He was a delightful man and deserves the memorial.

Good thoughts and sunny days to you all.

Moon

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9318830

Weather hasn't been too bad here, just ordinary cold, wet and nasty. We may get worse by tonight.. can't tell yet.
The stations are predicting a whopper is on the way, but who knows for sure. We're as ready as we're going to get.

Al
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 29, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9319318

Good morning everyone.
The sun is shining so another lovely Spring day as was yesterday.
We had a nice day out in Hamilton and I have my hearing aids properly adjusted now.
I mainly use them for the TV and can now hear without all the noise I was getting.

I moved a few large pots yesterday. Brug cuttings that have been growing since Autumn. I will pot individually today.
I will also get out my tomato grow bags and get them filled with mix ready for the plants as the weather gets warmer.

Have to get the clippers out along the paths too. Doesnt take things long to overhang and make you wet when it rains.

Hello Al, Charleen and Moon. We are thinking of you and all those in the path of the storm.
I hope it all comes down to just rain and not too much damage.

Hello Dianne, Colleen, Robyn, Chrissy, Teresa, Anthony and anyone else looking in.
I am off outside to enjoy the sun .

Heres a treat for morning tea...Lamington Cake..

Keep safe
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9319445

The storm went east and along the coast. All we have is wind. Cold weather which I can't stand. I am not looking forward to winter at all. They even have snow in parts of the Carolinas.
The long ears have their fur coats on and I know they are glad...
Just praying for rain. got my Brugs dragged into little greenhouse. Had to cut some back, they were just too tall.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 29, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9319570

The pictures we are seeing are just awful ...please take all precautions needed to be safe as possible.
hugs and love from all of us to you friends over the pond.
Looks like Mother Nature isn't finished with the World yet.

chrissy
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 29, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9319630

Yes!!!!!!do take care over there,.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 29, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9319718

Too hot, too soon as usual...the roses hate it.
Bought our apple cucumber, tomato and watermelon plants today, we'll save them for a cooler day though...
Couldn't resist they were on special...1.25 per punnet.

All our thoughts are with our US friends and their families...

Dianne.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 29, 2012
11:25 PM

Post #9319783

ridesredmule- T Bo is sooooooooo cute!
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

October 30, 2012
2:25 AM

Post #9319813

Very [too] hot here too,.,.I was forced to sit outside in the shade and consume thirst quenching 4xxxx beer until 8 pm,.reorganize my woodstack and sort out the seed box positions ,.,.,.as MORE... are coming next week-Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9319959

Poor Anthony, the sacrifices you make for your lilies are boggling GRIN

I hear ya on the cold Charleen...don't like it at all either.

Al is in an area that could sustain damage. Good thoughts to him and his family. After so many storms down here over the past few years, you heave a sigh of relief that this one went away from you, then immediately start praying that everyone else is okay.

That was a deal too good to pass up Dianne. Savvy shopping...grin

Good Day and Good Thoughts to you all.

Moon
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9320160

We're okay so far, just cold, wet rain and a bit windy.. The major part of the storm missed us but hit NY City and Atlantic Shore in New Jersey. That's what you're seeing on the Internet and TV. They had a tide rise of over 12' (4m) above normal in Manhatten which is the main financial district of NYC. Some 3 million people are without electric power down there, major stock markets are all closed for a few days. The City is a virtual shut down, no subway, no bus service, no cars allowed. Most of the people don't actually live there, but commute in and out so are told to "just stay home".

We live further inland far away from NYC, closer to Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Here it's nothing more than a little nasty weather, minor flooding in some areas.

Alive and well,
Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9320169

Poor Anthony suffers so much!!!!
Al, glad you are on the safer side of NY.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 30, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9320377

Good morning everyone. Our first taste of summer yesterday with 32C.
a shock to the system after all the cold weather.
Not very nice of Mother Nature to be experimenting on all of us.

Al, glad to hear that you are not in the main storm area. Watch out for that Canadian snow though. It may end up in your backyard.

I never cease to be amazed at the idiots who actually think its fun to go out in the teeth of any storm.
Did you all see those fools surfing and sightseers standing right next to large waves?

Charleen, how is your garden doing now ?
Plants will be starting to prepare for winter sleep.
Now if you could get Charley and friends to hibernate you wouldnt have to feed them all winter...lol

Dianne, great buy on the seedlings.
I have my grow bags ready to fill and plant too.
My tomatoes are a mix of small ones and the lovely brownish ones that I love.

Anthony, you poor thing , having to sit and have a beer all day...lol
Such suffering...
Good luck with the new bulbs too.

Teresa, I am sending the heat over to you as I do believe in sharing...Hope the spotty ones are doing well . Your garden will be looking very pretty now.
Have you found any further lost treasures while the garden is recovering from the workmen ?

Hello Moon, Colleen, Chrissy and anyone else looking in.
I am off to enjoy the day while its still cool.
A few little seedlings to be potted up and a few more pots to move into the shade.

Heres a morning tea treat...Raspberry Cream Cake.

Happy gardening and stay safe .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 30, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9320484

Good morning everyone. The heat has started here. I hope we don't get too many days of it. It's a beautiful 22C at the moment so it looks like we're going to be well into the 30"s by afternoon. So glad to hear from our friends over the pond telling us that they're okay. We do worry about you. I have some vegies going at the moment too. Tomatoes, cucumbers. snow peas, corn and I planted a clump of silver beet for the galahs and chooks. The boys don't think much of silver beet, so I sneak it into their mash and stews cut really finely. We have a frog in the SH. whooppee. Plenty for them to eat in there. Cameren has been saying that he saw one but I hadn't heard any so I thought that he must have been telling stories or maybe wishful thinking. This weather has knocked the flowers on the Epis but there are still lots of buds if they don't get too burnt. The brugs are loving it but I must move all the coldies into the shade now or I will loose the few buds that I have on them. I have already lost one bud from Pod 2# but he has another couple so had better protect them as much as I can. Well must go. I have washing to hang out and housework to do. Stay safe everyone. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 31, 2012
12:47 AM

Post #9320784

They are so pretty Colleen, such a lovely pink.
Yes, I agree take good care of those coldies...I hope the boys locate the frog...it may be a son of the other one that you had there...

Did you plant your tomatoes Jean, it turned much cooler here in the afternoon...so we planted ours and the watermelons...these ones are much larger than the little ones from last year...I hope that they grow as well.

Have a nice evening all.
Dianne.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 31, 2012
1:41 AM

Post #9320789

lovely day today, supposed to be 26 tomorrow :)
I do like warmer weather.
Gave the lilies a drink tonight they are looking very promising.
The azaleas I moved got a drink as they are in a much sunnier spot, I should mulch them to keep their roots cool.
Hoping to get my planter bags filled at the weekend so I can put the the tomatoes in.
Weather is predicted to be wet by then... hope it isn't too bad but even if it pours I won't complain,
seeing pictures from the US puts it in perspective.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9320921

Good Morning.

And now the fun starts...as so many of you know, cyclones create havoc and Sandy was no exception. It didn't help the the storm hit the most heavily populated part of the US, and the least prepared to deal with it. It is gonna be a long hard winter for folks in the Northeast.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/hurricane-sandy-damage-photos-superstorm-unthinkable-aftermath_n_2044099.html

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 31, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9321288

Good morning all.
A pinch and a punch for the 1st of the month.
Kettle is on, where's the milk?...Jean must be bringing it...

Moon thanks for the link, unfortunately the first video told me that I was in the wrong country, but I saw the pics and the other videos...some amazing scenes.

Birthday gift shopping today, our daughter turns 45 in a couple of days, our son was 42 the other day...
My question is...How can I have kids that are older than me?...lol.

This little Montana clematis is such a beauty..
Have a good day everyone.
Dianne.

This message was edited Nov 1, 2012 12:24 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

October 31, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9321304

Forgot to say as well.

Ray and I are gradually warming to Halloween...for our US friends, I say gradually, because when our kids were little, it was known as an American tradition, that only seemed like a money maker to introduce it here...so for the most part it was ignored...

Now as a grandmother and quite a few years later, watching the kids who come to the door and the fun they get out of dressing up, as I said, we are warming...no Ray is warming, he would only buy cheap lollies for the kids, but I love it...

We had Spiderman, a few ghouls, a boy dressed in a girl's dress, who Ray told not to wear that to school...various other costumes and even the parents got in on the dressing up...so it was fun.
Tilly barked at everyone as usual, until she realised that those kids were getting lollies so she became more interested in the bowl that went to the door each time the bell rang...
Next year I will get her a little costume...
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

October 31, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9321305

Good morning everyone.
Well, back to winter here again.
Its cold and raining.
Supposed to get back to around 30C again next week.
After watching all the footage of the storm damage in the US, I am ashamed of making even a tiny complaint.
Those affected with be months even years , getting back to some semblance of normal.
We all have a bit of a whinge about the weather , but here is an example of what can happen when Mother Nature unleashes her full fury.
Our little weather changes are remarkably mild compared to this .
I wish all the best for the millions affected over there.

Back to the mundane and I was able to get all the final drippers done yesterday so now I can just turn taps & timers on whenever I need to water.
I have made a nice place on the veranda for all the azaleas , camellias and fuchsias.
They will face the morning sun and be sheltered from the worst of any summer heat or winter cold.

Hello Teresa.
I hope your tomatoes do well for you. I am looking forward to growing mine in the bags having not tried them before.

Dianne, My seedling tomatoes are still a bit small to venture outside yet but I may buy a couple of plants for one of the grow bags. The seedlings will go in the other and the leftovers into the garden.
Nice to hear that you are having a good time with Halloween. It doesnt happen here.
I'm like you, how do I have kids all older than me.
My son just turned 50 a few weeks ago. . Fancy being that old...LOL

Moon, everyone here wishes all the best for our US friends.

Al, glad you are safe where you are, but I see on the news that there is lots of snow around.
Not the best time to have a huge storm when winter is dumping snow on people.

Anthony, are you still out under your shady tree ?
I think not, with the change now here. You will be back to the fire for a day or so.

Charleen, Hope the weather is kind to your area, but I expect most of the US will be affected in some way with such an enormous weather occurrence .
Pat the furry ones for me. Hope they have their coats on .

Hello Colleen, Chrissy, Robyn, Karen, and everyone else popping in for a cuppa.

Heres a treat for you all...Blueberry Bran Muffins

Happy gardening and stay safe

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

October 31, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9321316

Good morning everyone. My son will be 42 next Sunday Dianne. I keep saying that he's catching me up in age. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be 42 again? I'd "want to be at this stage in my life though. No work, or rather no going to work, and all my plants. Gee, we'd have no trouble keeping up with the weeds would we? It's a bit cooler today. I moved all my coldies into a more shaded area yesterday. They are looking great at the moment and I don't want to lose any. The broms are colouring up beautifully too. The little frog was still out there last night. Chrismas is just around the corner now. We're having Christmas Dinner here. John will be here Christmas eve this year to open the presents with the boys. They have a few good surprises to come. I hope everyone is well and have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 31, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9321353

How scary is it to know our kids are "middle aged", my son is 45, remember when we thought that was old ?

To everyone over the pond ...words fail. I don't doubt for a moment the great courage of the people, but the billions of dollars that will be required to fix things up is unimaginable.I hope at least it will give thousands of people jobs. Our hearts go out to all of you.

Colleen my grandchildren are all adults now, I really miss Christmas with young ones.

Jean swap temps ? we are getting very hot days here now, hotter in fact than most Summer days for three or four years.
I was dreading drought and here it comes I think, but like you I feel guilty complaining after watching such devastation overseas.
Like you I have so many seedlings ready to go outside but the heat is too much, I am waiting for a few hopefully temperate days soon.

Dianne I am so glad I don't have to worry about Halloween, I remembered years ago reading about razors hidden in sweets. So that kind of turned me off the whole idea.If I had small grandchildren today I would probably drive them around personally, and only let them knock on doors of people I know.

I hope everyone enjoys their day

chrissy

This message was edited Nov 1, 2012 9:02 AM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

November 1, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #9321680

I had some fun reading about Halloween...
we all think of it as an American tradition but it is really more Celtic in origin, in fact the Pilgrims disapproved of the whole idea & it wasn't until waves of immigrants from Scotland & Ireland arrived that it took off.
My physio was Irish & told me that it is still a big thing there.
The English stopped celebrating Halloween after the Reformation - it was too "Popish" for the Protestants & Guy Fawkes took over as the big chance for bonfires etc.
I guess NZ & Aussie being settled by good Protestant stock never picked up on the tradition although with the number of Irish convicts sent to Aussie it is kind of surprising that they didn't keep it going.

We still have fireworks at Guy Fawkes, can buy them for 5 days before hand.
I don't see the sense in sending $200.00 up in smoke!
Personally I'd like to see us stop with Guy Fawkes which is a major fire danger & see us in NZ celebrate Matariki - Maori New Year which is in winter...

Matariki is the Maori name for the group of stars also known as the Pleiades star cluster or The Seven Sisters.

The Maori new year is marked by the rise of Matariki and the sighting of the next new moon. The pre-dawn rise of Matariki can be seen in the last few days of May every year and the new year is marked at the sighting of the next new moon which occurs during June.

Make more sense to have a feast & fireworks at that time of year.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

November 1, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9321693

AS you know, I never complain about rain.,,.I love it!!,...I got the truck -stuck- in the oldest suburb in Tassie 'Battery Point' - sideways on about 30 degrees[long story cut short] I got out again-LUCKY.,.,Then out to a pipeline project in the midlands, lost control of the truck twice in the mud, on the way in[ nothing to a 11 year speedway legend like me], except, the truck doesnt respond like a race car does,.,.very wet here,.,Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 1, 2012

Post #9321815

Glad you are alright Anthony...slip-sliding can be scary no matter what you drive.

Fewer and fewer folks are letting their kids go around the neighborhoods for Hallowe'en here...more businesses are doing Trick or Treat, even the local police stations, and more churches are doing parties along with private parties. Thanks to psychos and sickos it just isn't safe like it used to be.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

November 1, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9322122

Good morning everyone.
I thought we had better move as the walk was getting longer.
Its cold here still but due to get hot again next week.
A nice bit of rain for the garden but I need the warm.
I potted my new azaleas and a couple of camellias so they are all in their new home on the front veranda.
I even moved my two Gardenias along with them. Hopefully they will all get along very nicely together.

Hello Anthony, glad you are safe and you had better remember that the speedway was many moons ago.
Sticky roads are not for trying the old truck out ..lol

Moon, its a darn shame that the idiots are now around everywhere to spoil all the innocent fun for the kids ( and adults )
I wonder where the world is heading with all the violence around.

Teresa, even with a large number of the convicts sent here being Irish , can you imagine the British allowing any sort of celebration back then ?
I guess any memories of any sort of festival would have died out over the hard times they had.
Fireworks are not allowed to be sold here, for good reasons.
I have seen many stupid accidents and with the idiots around these days things could be bad.

Hello Chrissy, yes I'll take some of your warm , but not the real humid heat.
You can have all my cold.

Colleen, no sign of any of my hippies doing anything this year.

I had better move myself if we are going to Hamilton today..

Hello to all I have missed.

Heres a treat for morning tea...Almond and Strawberry Cake..

Happy day and stay safe

we have moved to here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286484/

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

November 2, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9323198

Wrong place...

This message was edited Nov 3, 2012 1:02 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America