Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Portulaca

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
chris.q121
Merrimac, VA

September 30, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9291244

so Im very new to gardening and i tryin to start a indoor assortment of a few plants. I planted some portulaca seeds and a few of them have survived but they seem to not be going anywhere. here are some pictures of the little sprouts, do they look good and healthy?

Thumbnail by chris.q121   Thumbnail by chris.q121
Click an image for an enlarged view.

NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9291891

They look healthy but appear to be a little leggy. What kind of light do you have them in?
chris.q121
Merrimac, VA

October 1, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9292953

i have a 125 Watt CFL a few inches from them. Waiting on fixture piece to come in mail so I can finish grow light. They have looked like this for the past 3 weeks. Just not making any progress. Not to concerned. I'm just playing around with a few seeds. Seeing what I can get to thrive indoors. Its seems that i can keep already established plants(aster & mini adam) fairly well but seeds are a little tricky for me.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9295784

Chris--

Portulaca is not a houseplant--so maybe that is not a great expectation from you to have these in the house.

Portulaca (aka: Spanish Moss Rose) is a full sun biennial outside. Its seeds are close to dust-size.
Outside--it self-seeds and will come up, on its own, in the pot or bed you grew them in the following season.

It is OK to experiment with seeds--but this time of year--you would do better Winter sowing these--
as most biennials NEED striation--that is a cold period for the seeds to germinate--aka--a "winter".
A fridge can substitute for a winter--put your seeds in a paper envelope (NOT plastic) and put them in the
fridge for about 3 months. THEN sow the seeds and grow them out under your lights.

There have been good Articles written here on Winter Sowing by Jill ("criterilogist"). Look these up.

Hope this helps--I am sure others will have good advice for you as well.

Gita

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America