Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Strange weed that has overtaken my lawn in southern NH

Nashua, NH

Good afternoon all,

I was wondering if you could all help me out. I have a very strange weed that has completely overtaken my lawn (approx. 3/4 of an acre here in southern New Hampshire). I'm not sure what it is, but, it completely chokes out my grass. Besides ripping out my lawn and re-seeding, are there any other options of getting rid of this weed, while keeping the healthy grass that is around? If anyone is familiar with this weed and has any information on how to completely get rid of it, I'm all ears. I have tried picking it out from the root source, using a broad leaf killer, etc. It just continues to come back, spread out and choke out the healthy grasses. This stuff also spreads into my plant beds as well. It's really a nuisance!

Thank you all for your help, I greatly appreciate it!! Image attached

Thumbnail by sully5979
Groveland, FL

it could be a prostate spurge. usually freezing weather kills it. applying a preemergent herbicide in the spring will keep most of it in check.

Davis, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree with nel5397. A prostrate spurge.

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

You may also want to consider using Preen in your perennial beds in the early spring. Spurge throws out thousands of seeds, all of which seem to be viable, especially in dry soil.

San Francisco, CA

Quote from nel5397 :
it could be a prostate spurge ...

Yes, these only affect men - very hard to root out.

Municipality of Murr, PA

Quote from Vestia :

Yes, these only affect men - very hard to root out.

Vestia, you almost made me spit all over my keyboard.

toronto, ON(Zone 5a)

this plant is growing in my neighborhood in Toronto. The look like white flowers but they are variegated leaves. It seems they grow from seeds since most of the homes in that street has the same plant. But i have never seen this in garden centre. I would like to know the name and how it is propagated.

Thumbnail by ashamathai
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

ashamathai - I think your plant is a Euphorbia, but I don't know which one. You should start a new thread rather than adding your mystery plant to a pre-existing thread. You will get more viewers that way and increase your chances of a staisfactory outcome.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Vestia, you just made my day! Thanks for the laugh!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Awesome, Vestia, awesome.

Gives a whole new definition to a PSA test...

San Francisco, CA

;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.