Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

October's Fall Orchids

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

October means colder weather to most but I expect at least another two weeks of continues hot and humid. The difference is the relentless rain has all but stopped so I expect to be out with the hose before long.

We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278136/. Please join us and post your October orchid blooms here.

I'll start with Bollopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a look at the first bloom on the Brassavola nodosa that I mounted on a piece of drift wood a few months ago. It seems to be happy.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is a first time bloomer for me and I just discovered it was blooming today. That can happen if the blooms face the window instead of the OC interior. Here is C. intermedia X Bl. morning glory

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Also blooming is Ctna Maui Maid X Mlp Brysiana.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Dizzy and msjponies, would your provide me the name of the hardy orchids in my area. Hopefullly I have seen them and just don't know what they are. If I could google them an see a pic, that would help.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

What is OC????
Bear with the beginner.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the new thread, Jim! Have fun!

Plantsforpeg, If I remember correctly, that's what we agreed to call the new enclosure around Jim's pool. He thought orchid conservatory sounded a bit too high falluten. Haha!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

And here I thought it stood for Officer's Club all this time. Or, well, Orchid Club?

Peg, that little native orchid is Epidendrum magnoliae commonly known as the "Greenfly Orchid".

This message was edited Sep 30, 2012 7:58 PM

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I still like that "Cardinal's Roost" one. I saw it for sale online; I bookmarked the page so I can find it again. Just wonderful color on it.

Melanie

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, OC is short for orchid conservatory and besides, it doesn't sound so snobby.

Here are a few NOID Dendrobiums:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The Vanda sanderiana, var. alba is worth another quick look and so is Vanda Manuvadee X V. Coerulea.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Blc. Golden Tang is still opening new blooms.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Encyclia 'Green Hornet' is blooming, but then it is always blooming.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

A last look at C. Lueddemanniana, var. alba X self.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Enc. cochleata. Coast to coast Jim
One Jeweler’s Art “Waiomao Plum” bud coming thru

Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Ted, that Jeweler’s Art “Waiomao Plum" is soooo pretty! Nice floof, and love the color combination!

Melanie

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Orchid Club/Conservatory....now if I can remember that.
thank you for clarify that. If I get behind, I just look at the pictures.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ted, I agree with Melanie...that color is fabulus!

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanx, Color is a little more intense in real life, but the pic is pretty close.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I'll try to get these in order...
Ansellia africana (dark form), new Miltonia 'hombre', Milt. spectablis, Milt.Anne Warne 'Abe' with Zygonesia cynosure 'blue bird'

Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

That seems to have worked

Den. Hawaiian mini stripe, Odcdm. wildcat 'bloodshot', Zygopetalum redvale 'fire kiss'

Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Oops! I forgot C. walkeriana coerulea. This one will darken with age

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Outstanding, Carol. Just beatiful

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Absolutely magnificent show, especially considering the temps and low humidity you've been dealing with! Great growing, Carol. Love the new Miltonia, my favorite color!

All I've got are repeats you've all seen before. NOID Phal hanging in there after rescue from Death Row at Lowe's, the last little flower on Enc. Green Hornet, and I still have the last few Howeara Lava Burst 'Puanani' flowers gracing the bowl.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks guys! Ted has it worse than I do. We didn't quite make it to100 today, and I had dew dripping on me from the porch awning at 6:am. I know it was well over 100 at his place today, and the marine layer often doesn't make it that far inland. Every mile from the ocean, and every foot of elevation makes a big difference around here. Ted is the one that deserves kudos! Ha! He takes better pictures too. I try to stick with Mexican orchids that tend to acclimate better here. I'll experiment if the price is right, but I won't spend $70. on something that isn't likely to make it here....well once or twice and that included shipping.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanx for the kind words. 107 here today and the humidity read LO lol Too low to read.

north coast nsw, Australia

dont think P. Mabelles going to open anymore and its abit damaged.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm back from my 3 day training and found this beauty open out in the OC. Here is C. bicolor 'Lines' AM/AOS X L. undulata.

Jim

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Another fine notch on your belt. Maybe you should get something longer than a belt. Any suggestions?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

If someone would have shown me a picture of the flower, I would have said it was a Schomburgkia. Go figure.

I wish Laurel would check in.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

My Blc. Chance the Chance "Kiramaki" opened two new flowers.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Great colors, Melanie. Good growing.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a beauty, Melanie. Way to go. Isn't it a great feeling to have a plant bloom for you?

Anybody can buy an orchid in bloom.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Yup, I've got two orchids in sheath right now; at least they're in the shade house and protected from squirrels!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Hey guys, quick question...I've got a Vanda that's spiking and it's hanging out on a tree branch, Melanie's reference to squirrels made me wonder if I should bring it up to the screened porch. I've been waiting for over 3 years for this thing to bloom so will not be happy if it get's eaten, But don't want it to blast cause I've moved it....oh and the crazy rain we've had....over 5 in yesterday between 4-6:00 pm...I dumped the rain gauge and it rained heavy for quite a while last night, goodness knows how much is out there now.

Lots of great pics...
Jim I really like your C. intermedia X Bl. morning glory, and Carol, your good with those Miltonias, 'hombre" is really nice...but I don't think I have the right conditions for them.

Mellie, your orchids fit right in with the butterfly's all very pretty !

I've got a bunch of pics...just need to get them off the camera.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2012 6:07 AM

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Mj, any way you could put some screening around that Vanda where it is? I've used tulle netting from the fabric store to protect my strawberries from squirrels. It's really cheap, too. Make a bridal veil for it? I don't have any Vandas (but I might buy one today, Tropiflora sale . . ) but I think they need some direct sun to bloom well, and if the screened porch doesn't get enough light - at least as much as it's getting in the tree - it might not be good.

I bring all mine into the pool cage when they're threatening to bloom, but it has lots of light.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Back from the sale, and I resisted buying a breathtaking Vanda from the glorious array they had there. They're really expensive, and I'm just not sure I've got a good place for one.

Anyway, I did come home with Brassia caudata, Blc. Richard Mueller and Brs. David Sander, which is either a Brassavola or a Rhynchovola depending upon who you're talking to. The tag still says Brs. Not in bloom, but each was under $12 for nice big healthy plants! (sorry, can't resist bragging about a bargain!) The David Sander has a little sheath, too!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, I'm back from the FL West Coast Orchid Show and I only bought five orchids today, LOL!
1. V. Perry Hollingsworth "Bow"
2. Pot. King's Ransom
3. C. Chocolate Drop "Volcano Queen"
4. Blc Cherry Suisse "Emily"
5. Mtdm. Rosey Sunset "Pacific Satin"

I know absolutely nothing about the last one except I really liked it. So tell me if there's anything special I need to know about raising it.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
north coast nsw, Australia

Love your new orchids Melanie, very pretty. Whats the white spots on Chocolate drop not scale is it?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I was at the same show as Melanie on Saturday but didn't see her. We have to do a better job of coordinating. While she was picking up five beauties, I had my buying shoes and flame retardant socks in place and picked up 14. My haul looks like this:

Jim

Onc. (Psychopsis) Mendenhall 'Hildos' FCC/AOS. This is the one with the spotted leaves.

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.