Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Orchids: October's Fall Orchids

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 198, Views: 1,273
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9291287

October means colder weather to most but I expect at least another two weeks of continues hot and humid. The difference is the relentless rain has all but stopped so I expect to be out with the hose before long.

We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278136/. Please join us and post your October orchid blooms here.

I'll start with Bollopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9291299

Here is a look at the first bloom on the Brassavola nodosa that I mounted on a piece of drift wood a few months ago. It seems to be happy.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9291309

This is a first time bloomer for me and I just discovered it was blooming today. That can happen if the blooms face the window instead of the OC interior. Here is C. intermedia X Bl. morning glory

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9291312

Also blooming is Ctna Maui Maid X Mlp Brysiana.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica         

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9291324

Dizzy and msjponies, would your provide me the name of the hardy orchids in my area. Hopefullly I have seen them and just don't know what they are. If I could google them an see a pic, that would help.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9291326

What is OC????
Bear with the beginner.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 30, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9291353

Thanks for the new thread, Jim! Have fun!

Plantsforpeg, If I remember correctly, that's what we agreed to call the new enclosure around Jim's pool. He thought orchid conservatory sounded a bit too high falluten. Haha!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9291371

And here I thought it stood for Officer's Club all this time. Or, well, Orchid Club?

Peg, that little native orchid is Epidendrum magnoliae commonly known as the "Greenfly Orchid".

This message was edited Sep 30, 2012 7:58 PM

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9291412

I still like that "Cardinal's Roost" one. I saw it for sale online; I bookmarked the page so I can find it again. Just wonderful color on it.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9291422

Yes, OC is short for orchid conservatory and besides, it doesn't sound so snobby.

Here are a few NOID Dendrobiums:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9291430

The Vanda sanderiana, var. alba is worth another quick look and so is Vanda Manuvadee X V. Coerulea.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9291432

Blc. Golden Tang is still opening new blooms.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9291437

Encyclia 'Green Hornet' is blooming, but then it is always blooming.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9291440

A last look at C. Lueddemanniana, var. alba X self.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 30, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9291577

Enc. cochleata. Coast to coast Jim
One Jeweler’s Art “Waiomao Plum” bud coming thru

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310         

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9291635

Ted, that Jeweler’s Art “Waiomao Plum" is soooo pretty! Nice floof, and love the color combination!

Melanie
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9291782

Orchid Club/Conservatory...now if I can remember that.
thank you for clarify that. If I get behind, I just look at the pictures.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 1, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9292708

Ted, I agree with Melanie...that color is fabulus!

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 1, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9292719

Thanx, Color is a little more intense in real life, but the pic is pretty close.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 1, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9292741

I'll try to get these in order...
Ansellia africana (dark form), new Miltonia 'hombre', Milt. spectablis, Milt.Anne Warne 'Abe' with Zygonesia cynosure 'blue bird'

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 1, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9292755

That seems to have worked

Den. Hawaiian mini stripe, Odcdm. wildcat 'bloodshot', Zygopetalum redvale 'fire kiss'

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL      

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 1, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9292759

Oops! I forgot C. walkeriana coerulea. This one will darken with age

Thumbnail by OCCAROL

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 1, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9292839

Outstanding, Carol. Just beatiful

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9292861

Absolutely magnificent show, especially considering the temps and low humidity you've been dealing with! Great growing, Carol. Love the new Miltonia, my favorite color!

All I've got are repeats you've all seen before. NOID Phal hanging in there after rescue from Death Row at Lowe's, the last little flower on Enc. Green Hornet, and I still have the last few Howeara Lava Burst 'Puanani' flowers gracing the bowl.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy      

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 1, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9292970

Thanks guys! Ted has it worse than I do. We didn't quite make it to100 today, and I had dew dripping on me from the porch awning at 6:am. I know it was well over 100 at his place today, and the marine layer often doesn't make it that far inland. Every mile from the ocean, and every foot of elevation makes a big difference around here. Ted is the one that deserves kudos! Ha! He takes better pictures too. I try to stick with Mexican orchids that tend to acclimate better here. I'll experiment if the price is right, but I won't spend $70. on something that isn't likely to make it here...well once or twice and that included shipping.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 1, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9293026

Thanx for the kind words. 107 here today and the humidity read LO lol Too low to read.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 2, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9293262

dont think P. Mabelles going to open anymore and its abit damaged.

Thumbnail by breeindy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9295876

I'm back from my 3 day training and found this beauty open out in the OC. Here is C. bicolor 'Lines' AM/AOS X L. undulata.

Jim

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9295975

Another fine notch on your belt. Maybe you should get something longer than a belt. Any suggestions?
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9296025

If someone would have shown me a picture of the flower, I would have said it was a Schomburgkia. Go figure.

I wish Laurel would check in.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9296027

My Blc. Chance the Chance "Kiramaki" opened two new flowers.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9296090

Great colors, Melanie. Good growing.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9296117

That's a beauty, Melanie. Way to go. Isn't it a great feeling to have a plant bloom for you?

Anybody can buy an orchid in bloom.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9296223

Yup, I've got two orchids in sheath right now; at least they're in the shade house and protected from squirrels!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9296381

Hey guys, quick question...I've got a Vanda that's spiking and it's hanging out on a tree branch, Melanie's reference to squirrels made me wonder if I should bring it up to the screened porch. I've been waiting for over 3 years for this thing to bloom so will not be happy if it get's eaten, But don't want it to blast cause I've moved it...oh and the crazy rain we've had...over 5 in yesterday between 4-6:00 pm...I dumped the rain gauge and it rained heavy for quite a while last night, goodness knows how much is out there now.

Lots of great pics...
Jim I really like your C. intermedia X Bl. morning glory, and Carol, your good with those Miltonias, 'hombre" is really nice...but I don't think I have the right conditions for them.

Mellie, your orchids fit right in with the butterfly's all very pretty !

I've got a bunch of pics...just need to get them off the camera.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2012 6:07 AM

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9296580

Mj, any way you could put some screening around that Vanda where it is? I've used tulle netting from the fabric store to protect my strawberries from squirrels. It's really cheap, too. Make a bridal veil for it? I don't have any Vandas (but I might buy one today, Tropiflora sale . . ) but I think they need some direct sun to bloom well, and if the screened porch doesn't get enough light - at least as much as it's getting in the tree - it might not be good.

I bring all mine into the pool cage when they're threatening to bloom, but it has lots of light.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9296602

Back from the sale, and I resisted buying a breathtaking Vanda from the glorious array they had there. They're really expensive, and I'm just not sure I've got a good place for one.

Anyway, I did come home with Brassia caudata, Blc. Richard Mueller and Brs. David Sander, which is either a Brassavola or a Rhynchovola depending upon who you're talking to. The tag still says Brs. Not in bloom, but each was under $12 for nice big healthy plants! (sorry, can't resist bragging about a bargain!) The David Sander has a little sheath, too!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9297460

Well, I'm back from the FL West Coast Orchid Show and I only bought five orchids today, LOL!
1. V. Perry Hollingsworth "Bow"
2. Pot. King's Ransom
3. C. Chocolate Drop "Volcano Queen"
4. Blc Cherry Suisse "Emily"
5. Mtdm. Rosey Sunset "Pacific Satin"

I know absolutely nothing about the last one except I really liked it. So tell me if there's anything special I need to know about raising it.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 6, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9298030

Love your new orchids Melanie, very pretty. Whats the white spots on Chocolate drop not scale is it?
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9298735

I was at the same show as Melanie on Saturday but didn't see her. We have to do a better job of coordinating. While she was picking up five beauties, I had my buying shoes and flame retardant socks in place and picked up 14. My haul looks like this:

Jim

Onc. (Psychopsis) Mendenhall 'Hildos' FCC/AOS. This is the one with the spotted leaves.

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9298738

Blc. Haleahi Sunbow 'Bow Wow' X Pot. Haleahi Jewels 'Ruby Tangerine'.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9298739

Den. antennatum which is huge specimen plant. I splurged on this one.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9298743

Enc. Ciliare (Mexican form). I've also seen this species called a Epidendrum.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9298749

C. chocolate drop X B. nodosa. I think this may be called Bc. Roman Holiday but am not sure.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9298754

Psychopsis mariposa 'Green Valley'. By far the largest Psychopsis I've ever seen. (7 inches tall X 5 inches wide)

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9298758

Lc. Hua Yuan Angel. Just too cute to pass up.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9298760

Lc. Penny Kuroda-briegeri 'Corpusles' X C. granulosa 'A'. I'm not sure I understand this tag but I sure like the bloom.

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9298763

Three little seedlings: Den. Green Surprise 'Windy', Den. Yellow Song, and Max. tenuifolia (the coconut orchid).

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9298764

A large bare root Schomburgkia crispa which I potted already. Can't wait to see this big boy bloom.

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9298766

Den. crumenatum (the pigon orchid)

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9298769

Finally, a white Bc. Maikai (C.bowringiana Luster X B. nodosa 'Weaver'.

My buying shoes are still in the pool cooling off.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9298772

As for today in the OC, I have the following new blooms:

Jim

Cattleya Summer Spot 'Carmela' is back in bloom. I really like it.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 3:06 PM

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9298774

Brassavola David Sander has put out a single bloom that is a bit twisted. What is up with that?

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9298777

Finally, my big Lc George Baldwin X C. Trithena is in full bloom, yet again. What a great orchid! Have a great day!

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9298845

It's the solar storms, Jim. That's my favorite excuse, anyway. Sure hasn't affected Lc George Baldwin X C. Trithena - what a beauty!

Lots of things in my garden are making strange flowers, and blooming late and sporadically this summer. I have Brugs with split cups and flowers half the normal size, and dependable things like Crepe Myrtles blooming 2 months later than usual. Who knows??

I hear there are new orchid shopping shoes in the development stage, with fire retardant soles and optional built in Halon fire extinguishers like race cars have - for orchid show days and visits to Apopka!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9298890

I need to order a pair quickly. This coming weekend is the fall plant sale at USF and next weekend is the Tampa Orchid Club sale at the same place. Have mercy.

Jim
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 7, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9298913

Jim, You better start checking out conveyer and automatic watering systems that will go over the pool!
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 7, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9298965

What a haul you guys. Good going.

Jim, on my Green River I have a second bloom on one spike and a second developing bud on another. And they are large.

Thumbnail by ted5310

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9298998

I agree, Ted. These Psychopsis mariposa orchids are huge.

Jim
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9299222

I went to the Orchid Show at the DC National Arboritum yesterday. My friend was looking for a Dracula Orchid. My gosh, what cute "faces" they have. I did purchase a AOS membership!!!!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9299242

Well shoot this is the 2nd time I've tried to post...have poltergist this morning I guess with the internet.
Elaine, actually the front porch faces SSW..so it get's alot of light this time of year. Putting netting over the Vanda outside where it was wasn't really an option.
I was able to hang it with the same orientation so I'm hoping it won't mind too much. So far so good.

Great finds you guys !!
I don't think I could have resisted the Lc. Penny Kuroda-briegeri 'Corpusles' X C. granulosa 'A' Jim...it's really nice.

Here's a little of what's popping here...

Group of Den's
Close up's.
D. Blue Twinkle, it's a mini, and I really like it. D. Natakorn Beauty, Couple of noid Den's that are way too big !!
Oncidium Gower Ramsey...I'll have to take another pic later on when more blooms open, the spike is over 36 in. tall...and is making sideways spikes off of it.

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9299399

Nice blooms, MJ. One thing I'm confused about. I thought D. Natakorn Beauty was white with a light pink lip.

I spotted one more bloomer in the OC this morning. Here is Blc. Hawallan Leopard 'Mai Ling'

Jim

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9299656

What wonderful blooms. Can't wait to see what the end of the month brings.
Waiting for my daughter to move out and back on her own again. Guess I should treat myself to an orchid. I know the big box stores carry orchids here, but most of the are the Phal.

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9299801

Jim,
Gee I don't know !! I got that one last fall at the Orchid sale last fall. They had a big bin of them and some were blooming, and they all had that tag in them.
Ok..googled it...ummm, The one pic I found looks more like what you describe Jim that what I have.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9299875

You would not be the first one of us to buy an orchid with the wrong tag.

Jim
wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

October 10, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9302000

Well, I'll spare you all the shots of my phals that seem to be forever in bloom, but ... I did want to show off Paph Muriel Constance x Hsinying Franz '#2' that's started blooming this past week. It's multi-floral, and a few days ago I discovered a second spike (correct term?) emerging.

Thumbnail by wiggiej

wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

October 10, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9302012

My other fun this month :

#1 is Dendrobium Exotic Fuchsia. This one started blooming in July and is still going. Almost makes it worth the five year wait to get it to bloom ...

#2 is Phrag Don Wimber. It's winding down, but has been a treat. I hope it comes back soon!

Jan

Thumbnail by wiggiej   Thumbnail by wiggiej         

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 10, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9302073

That paph is awsome! A 2nd spike coming from another growth? How many flower buds are on the 1st spike?
wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

October 11, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9302375

Two on the first spike, can't tell yet on the second
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 11, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9302462

The Paph and the Phrag are both outstanding!
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 11, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9302503

Just beautiful. BTW It's raining in Southern California. Don't think it will be enough to stop us from watering, but it's wet!!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9302562

I love those slippers!

Jim
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9302702

If any of you feel you are overwhelmed with too many orchids, just dmail me and I will send postage. I promise to "try" not to let it/them die on "us".

Do I hear a Jim, Laura, Sue, Don, whatever?

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9302765

Oh, Peg I kind of doubt that the term "too many orchids" is in the vocabulary of any one of us. Addicts, one and all.

And isn't it a great gift that we get to see such lovely slippers in pictures on these forums, Jim? The second one of my little Paphs from Lowe's has gone the way of the dodo this week. I have one left that still looks healthy, but heaven knows if I'll ever see a flower on it.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9302803

I managed to keep a Paph alive for six years and it even flowered twice. Then I had to move it to the bushes for summer camp while the OC was being constructed. It didn't make it and I have never bothered to get another one. I sure do enjoy the slipper pictures on this thread but think I will leave it at that.

Jim
wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

October 12, 2012
2:46 AM

Post #9302900

I was going to make a crack about you Florida folks just needing some cold, gloomy weather for your paphs. :) But I doubt that's true. I suspect it's just more rewarding to grow all those Southern beauties that bloom constantly. I have a similar problem -- "difficult" plants often do better for me than "easy" ones. I can't tell you how many philodendrons I've killed. My husband thinks it's rather amusing, but I tell him the real problem is that philodendrons just aren't as much fun.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm really enjoying my paphs these days. But for every one that blooms, I'm pretty sure it'll be a year (at least) before I see it again. What I need up here are some good "everblooming" slipper orchids.

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9303117

Dyzzy, I think you are right. Never too much of the ones you love. I collect Bromeliads. The only way I get rid of them is to trade for more. I like a plant with a challenge and feel orchids would be it for me.

Has anyone ever tried those orchids that come in the plastic bags at the big box stores? Probably this fall they will carry something more than white, purplish red, or a combination of both of these colors. The yellows seem to go first.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9303207

I've tried bag orcids in the past and they seem to do fine but don't plan on seeing flowers real soon. Vandas are usually what are available around here. Since I discovered Apopka, where I can get a large plant with 3 feet of roots for the same price, I stopped with the bag orchids.

Jim
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9303496

I am going to google Apopka in Florida and see what I can find.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9303507

Does that mean Apopka Nursery in Apopka, FL which may be wholesale.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9303542

No, Peg. Apopka is a small town northwest of Orlando. There are probably 100 or so growers and distributors with greenhouses up and down the roads north of town. Some are Asian distributors who import orchids and send them to the big box stores. Generally, you can buy the orchids, cash only, before they are shipped out to retailers. I have been there a dozen times and have still not explored all of the greenhouses. Bottom line is great buys and a lot of fun.

Jim

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9303545

So do you have anyone in particular you would recommend ? I'm about an hour from there, and would love to go over, but don't have time to run All over.
Sigh...I have Old horses that require my attention, and as much as I love my Plants...I love my ponies more.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9303878

I'm back from the USF plant sale and I only bought four orchids (and a bromeliad and six pots of porterweed). They are:
1. Blc. George King "Southern Cross" (Saw this on the internet and wanted it!)
2. V. Thonglor x Ascda. Banghuntian Gold (I wanted a yellow vanda!)
3. Blc. Waianae Sunburst "Volcano Queen"

I just realized I forgot to take a picture of the fourth one! You'll have to wait until I mosey on out there again.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong      

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9303892

Ok, I had to let a butterfly loose so I moseyed on over to the shade house. This one is Lc. C.G. Roebling "Sentinel". It smells really good, too.

Thumbnail by mellielong

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9303903

Beauties all, Melanie. Just love the color of that Vanda.

'Sentinel' is gorgeous, too.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2012 11:53 AM
chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9304756

Love that yellow vanda Melanie.
My good old reliable Blc. Makai has been blooming non stop and still has more spikes waiting to open. This is one of my all time favorite plants.
Chiqui

Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313   Thumbnail by chiquib313      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9304775

Great orchids, all. Jim, you really brought in the banana boat on that last shopping trip. I am mostly playing catch up these days. Took a few photos this morning and will try to upload later today. Great growing everyone!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9304876

That Makai is really lovely, Chiqui.

Great to see you back, Laurel. We've been wondering what became of you!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9305104

Elaine, I move in mysterious ways. :>) The simple truth is life has gotten in the way and I've taken on some additional commitments.

I have a NOID Catt. hybrid that is blooming for the first time. I don't love Catts, I don't love purple and I definitely don't love big. A friend gave me a very run down orchid more than four years ago. It was a gift from her young brother who died very suddenly while jogging on Delray Beach. She asked me to fix it. The roots were almost gone. It had a bad case of both snails and scale. I cleaned it up, repotted it and treated the bugs. Meanwhile, I cut off the old, leafless backbulbs and potted them up. She got the plant back and I kept the backbulbs. It's taken all these years but those backbulbs branched in two directions last year. There is this current bloom and another in sheath. Seven flowers. Wish I had a name to put to it. Huge smell of roses from this one.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 14, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9305483

Im pretty sure its Bowringiana.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9305599

Laurel can't believe you saved that orchid from your friend. That must take patience. You know I use to oil paint and hated a painting with purple, but with time I changed my mind. Maybe you will too.

Jim, thanks for sharing the information about the Akopoka Greenhouses. They must be remarkable to see. We don't have that luxury here. Thank goodness I am so far away. I'd be tempted to spend too much time and money there.

Everyone thanks for sharing your pics with us. That is what makes me follow this forum. Guess I am a visual person.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9305648

Peg, I saved that orchid for my friend, not from her. lol Well, just the few leafless backbulbs for myself.

Bree, I sent pics to my friend David Johnston of Jewell Orchids. http://www.jewellorchids.com/ He is a Catt hybridizer, specializing in coeruleas, so he knows purple species for sure. Doubtful it would be a straight C. bowringiana with that yellow in the throat.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9305658

Interesting Psychilis krugii here. I can't get it to bloom more than one or two flowers at a time but it's been blooming since last spring. The spike, with its sequential flowers, is now about three feet long and tangled through other plants near the top of the greenhut. I can't move it to photograph the plant.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9305674

Tetratonia Dark Prince was an overgrown plant that I divided into a bunch of smaller specimens. I'm very fond of its relatives, the Broughtonias. Dark Prince grows rather quickly and blooms readily year 'round. Now I have several of these small flowered beauties always in bloom. They are the pansies of the greenhut.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9305707

Melanie, I went to the USF Plant sale as well and once again didn't see you. To tell you the truth, I was a little disappointed. I couldn't find the palm I was looking for and there were only three orchid vendors and none had anyting I was wanted. I think this next weekend will be much better for orchid shopping. I came home from the sale with nothing.

Chiqui, your Makai is looking good and I agree it is a reliable bloomer.

Laurel, good to have you back and wonderful posts. Orchids that bring back memories are great. The Psychilis krugii is really nice as is the Dark Prince. Speaking of bringing in the banana boat, I took these pictures in the backyard yesterday:

Jim

This message was edited Oct 15, 2012 8:58 AM

This message was edited Oct 15, 2012 1:15 PM

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9305773

Opening this past weekend, Brassia Memoria Fritz Boedeker 'Witch Doctor'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9305778

Brassavola nodosa and Bc. Little Stars are both blooming and perfuming the OC in the evenings.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9305784

There are two different dancing lady Oncidiums blooming out there.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9305791

C. bicolor 'Lines' AM/AOS X L. undulata has opened another spike. The blooms remind me of Schomburgkias.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9305794

A little more of Cattleya Summer Spot 'Carmela'.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9305980

My goodness, all lovelies there Jim.

Great banana crop there, too. They must have really loved all that rain, huh? Day oh!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9306003

Well the orchids are nice but how 'bout those bananas, Jim!

Aerides Punchinello (lawrenciae x odorata) came from Chapman's, Nov. 09. She's turning in to a sizable plant. Smells like those old time waxed lips. Aerides generally need less light then the Vandas so it lives under the Vandas. I'll get it out of the Vanda roots for a better photo.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9306057

Now the problem arises as to what to do with a thousand bananas. Have mercy.

I have my Aerides hanging under Vandas as well. It seems to be a good place for them.

Blc. Hawallan Leopard 'Mai Ling' is still looking good:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9306069

It is hard to go out into the OC without taking a picture of the perpetually blooming Lc George Baldwin X C. Trithena. This orchid continues to move up on my list of favorite Catts.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9306193

Lovely orchids, everyone!

Jim, I didn't stay too long at the plant festival, just in and out to get what I wanted. I plan on going to your club's show at USF next weekend, though! I'll have to hit the ATM first; I have a whole $3 left!

Melanie
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9306293

The beautiful photos never end. Remarkable.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 15, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9306329

Psychopsis mariposa 'Green Valley', second bloom on each spike this season. Another in bud for the second time.

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9306362

Ted, how large is the flower on yours? Mine are 7 inches tall by 5 inches wide.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9306386

I love these orchids but after two tries I've given up. They need a high space for those vertical spikes but don't appreciate the really intense light at the top of the greenhut which is the only place they can grow those long spikes in my space. I'm better off with orchids that have arching spikes up there. Is your Psychopsis staying outside year around, Ted?
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9306401

I guess the 7 foot spike on my Schomburgkia undulata would rule it out as well? :>)

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9306423

Smart *** (guy). Actually I am holding out here while dieing to tell you. Remember the Acampe from your Thanksgiving stay? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8921756 It was attached to a lovely tree fern round and hanger but there were no roots growing in the tree fern. There were twist ties going up the hanger. I took it off to remount and it had a sizable keiki. So I mounted the keiki to a tree fern log and tied the mother plant to a piece of plastic chain so I could get it high up in the greenhut. I was thinking I'd figure out a good mount for the mother but the plant was not seeming to want one. Both the tree fern keiki and the mother plant are loaded with spikes and new keikis. Neither has been fertilized since June.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 15, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9306449

Jim, mine are about the same, maybe a touch smaller. The tallest spikes are about 20". The tops of the flowers on the tallest spikes have reached the shade cloth so it's time to move them lower. I just don't want to change anything considering the way they are blooming.

Laurel, I keep my orchids outside most of the year. It's when it gets in the mid to low 40's that I bring some of the warmer climate orchids in. That usually lasts for about a month or so.
The Green River is one I bring in. "In" means the unheated garage. I have a shelf set up and next to it an old panel from one of those large patio tents that has a fair amount of iron work. Great for hanging. I have one large spotlight type growing bulb that's on a timer. Nothing fancy, but it works. During those coldest days the side door to the garage is left open for the dogs and the orchids get a little daylight as well.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9306458

Are you spraying your orchids or using some dyna grow on the leaves. A couple of you (Laural & Jim) have posted pics that look like there is a residue on the leaves.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 15, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9306467

Interesting thing about the Green River. Last June during a Santa Ana wind storm, the plant was blown over and the tips of two spikes were knocked off. By July the spike had sent out a new branch about 1" below the old tip. One of them has already bloomed twice and the other has bloomed once and is ready to start a second.

For those of you not familiar with this plant, the inflorescence are not removed after flowering as it usually continues to elongate and produce additional
blooms for several years. Much the same as Nageliella (Hartwegia) purpurea

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310      

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9306475

FL growers have hard water and the plants can have some pretty heavy mineral build up, especially if people are on wells. My plants are foliar fed, which does leave a residue, but I confess to having badly neglected my collection before, during and after DD's July wedding. I'm trying to get my act together. If you see a plant of mine with residue on the lower leaves, but not on the upper, it's a sure sign I got it in Florida. If it's up on the plant it's the foliar feeding. I do spray with a long acting spray several times in Fall, before cold weather sets in and the greenhut is locked down, but that would not be evident later because I have an overhead watering system and the residue washes off.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9306503

In my case, it is a combination of daily foliar feeding and perhaps Bayleton, a systemic fungicide that I add to the misting mixture once a week or so, especially in the humid summer season. I also add a drop per gallon of Super Thrive or a teaspoon or two of Dyna-Gro Pro-Tekt, a nutritional solution that promotes root growth. If I spot insects, I will add a tablespoon per gallon of Orthene. No wonder you see a residue. I mist my orchids every day so it is easy to add these chemicals as I deem necessary. I do water heavily once a week to try to wash salt build off of the orchid and out of the pot. I only use rain water from my rain barrels.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9306556

Ha, we've had so much rain all traces of residue are long gone around here. Off both orchids and gardener!! Although I may have grown a little algae here and there . . .

Peg, my orchids all live outdoors so some days they get what nature provides - today another 2in. of rain! If it rains more than a day here and there, everybody - orchids included - goes under the eaves near the house so they don't drown.

On days it doesn't rain, I spray my orchids with a very weak fert solution, at least in the summer when they're growing day and night. When the weather is hot and dry I might mist twice a day, the second time with plain rain water. Luckily I have two cisterns so it takes a while for all my saved water to be used up. In cool weather when growth slows down I back off to every second day with the fert.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9306735

Thanks Laurel, Jim and Dyzzy for information on feeding and watering. I have sprayed with DynaGro, but oly sparingly.
Will high temps like 90-100 degree weather affect the plants out doors. I have never moved my 2 orchids outdoors, but maybe this time of the year will help since now our highs may be in the low 80's with nights averaging mid 60's.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9306979

Are they Phalaenopsis, Peg? They don't take kindly to a drastic change of any kind, so going from a/c (dry, cool and regulated) to outdoors might be a shock for them.

If you're already opening the windows on cooler days, then they might transition ok seeing as they've had a gradual taste of outside air. Once it's nice enough to have the windows open most of the time, I would think your weather is perfect for orchids from now through November at least. As I said, mine live outdoors year 'round although I know we are cooler in summer and warmer in winter than you. Just don't forget to protect them if the nights fall towards 50ish!

In the hottest part of summer (we only had one day hit 95) I park the more sensitive ones like my Phals right against the patio door where it's cooler. They all did great this summer! If you have a window or sliding glass door you could put them near, that will keep them a little cooler in hot weather (a/c cools the glass) and also a little warmer in cold weather. (I used to tape a piece of frost cloth to the glass and drape it over the plants on cold nights, which holds the heat radiating out of the house around the plants - works great)

Now I have this shelf unit against the glass, and it came with a clear plastic zipper cover so it becomes a mini-greenhouse on cold nights. I can see my plants from where I sit at my desk, too!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9307032

I stopped growing Phals a number if years ago but a friend must have thought I needed a project and unloaded a bunch of half dead ones on me. I'm starting to rethink my friends. lol Some didn't make it. Now I'm stuck with the remainder. All but one is unnamed. I'll probably donate the unnamed ones to the society for auction. Anyway, from my Phal growing experience, I have always put my plants out under the overhangs in spring and left them there well into fall. They do not like a shift in temperature when in bud or bloom (they are prone to drop flowers) but benefit with a cooling off for four to six weeks before setting new spikes in autumn. I purposely let them go down to fifty or fifty five at night during this period. One reason one may not get vigorous reblooms is because the environment is too consistent year around. Nature doesn't work like that. Even greenhouse growers don't keep the same temps year around unless they are trying to grow and bloom a crop using an artificial environment.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9307161

A new flower on my just purchased Lc. Hua Yuan Angel. It is on the small side but I just love it.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9307163

Vanda Mae Sai X Vanda Kenji is just beginning to unfurl its first flower and I couldn't wait to show her off. More on this one as it developes.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 16, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9307296

Ooh, those are both nice, Jim!
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9307391

Thanks for the tips Dyzzy and Laurel. I have one Dendrbium Orchid Hybird which looks very good. I leave it on the kitchen window sill which is facing west. The other one is a Phal with a "Just add ice" label on it, but I just spray it and not use the ice.

Here in Louisiana we don't have such a wide selection of orchids to choose from. Usually in the fall there is a new shipment of plants. I'll just have to go shopping.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 16, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9307608

Just spraying your phal might not be enough(dont let water sit in the crown of the phal or this can cause crown rot quickly).
I water until the water flushes through the pot and let fully drain. Let dry before watering again.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9307815

I forgot to say I also douse my plants with rainwater once a week or so if it doesn't rain. Haven't had to do that for months, though. We've had such a rainy summer this year. As Bree says, let them dry out before watering or even misting again after the douse.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9308142

Two new orchids have opened today:

First is Epi. Lime Drop X Epi. schomburgkii:

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9308145

The second is Epic. Volcano Trick Fireball:

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9308152

Really like that first Epi., Jim. I'll probably not have time for new photos 'til next week when we return. The light in the greenhut is the worst of the entire year from now until sometime in December. The sun has sunk below the tree line which makes for low light until the trees loose their leaves in December. I have both Vandas and Catts. in spike and wonder the effect on blooms.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 17, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9308410

As usual, nice stuff Jim.

Cirrhopetalum makoyanum blooming away. And the Octopus just keeps on truckin'.
Also playing with the macro setting

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9308427

I think you have the macro setting under control, Ted. The pictures look very good. Gotta love the Cirrhopetalum.

Jim
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9308629

So many to drool over. Keep those pics coming.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9308720

They are excellent pictures, Ted. Love the Cirrhopetalum!

Jim, the Epic. Volcano Trick Fireball is fantastic, that nice graceful shape with just a bit of floof, and the cool shaped lip. Amazing color, too.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9308760

Just arrived from Andy's, that's Enc. brassavolae on the right and the little guy is Habenaria medusa.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9308786

Oh, ho, Jim! New babies.

I looked at Andy's for that Habenaria but it was way out of my price range. But I did find it listed at Little Brook Orchids in Lancaster, PA for a less outrageous price. http://www.littlebrookorchids.com/products/view/Habenaria_medusae

Was just wondering if anyone has experience buying from them? They're not listed in the Garden Watchdog.

This other one that was pictured next to the Habenaria also was tempting given how easy and free blooming my other Enc. is.
http://www.littlebrookorchids.com/products/view/Enc_radiata_Jeff_s_Select_AM_AOS_x_Enc_radiata_Cole_

This message was edited Oct 18, 2012 10:46 AM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9308846

Elaine, Dave Johnston has carried Enc. radiata in the past. Here is a list of his current Encyclias. His prices are good and plants are very healthy though sometimes small. He can often upgrade size for a bit more money but has limited inventory of large plants since the larger ones sell at shows. Still, I find his plants are very well priced. He may have Enc. radiata in the greenhouse. I have one of his. Drop him a line. http://www.jewellorchids.com/2006Pages/species.html

I don't know Little Brook but will be in Lancaster in late November. Might go check them out.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9308856

Thanks, Laurel. Jewel Orchids has a nice selection, not only the Enc.s but Oncidiums and Tolumnias, too. Jim, you'd love the selection of Schomburgkias, too. He doesn't have that particular Enc. radiata, though.

I'd sure rather buy from someone you recommend, especially if they are close to, or in Florida. My first two orchids came all the way from California and did suffer from the trip and the climate change, although I'm sure my beginner care of them wasn't too great either.

My wonderful daughter who sends me gift orchids (incl. those first two) now has links to several local growers near here, and she even found my last gift at a grower in Myakka City, so he delivered it to me in person! I try to search locally, then in ever-widening circles to minimize travel for the babies.

But if you were able to check out Little Brook in person, maybe they'll be a good source in future and a fun side trip for you.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9308944

No doubt I paid Andy too much for the Habenaria medusa. He started off at $85 for the little 2.5 inch pot but came down to $65 when I bought the two. I had been looking for a while but had no luck finding it. I should have kept looking. Shame on me. I like that Enc. radiata but will hold off for a while. The Tampa Orchid Club has their orchid expo this weekend at the USF Botanical Gardens and I have volunteered to work Saturday morning. I'll probably buy a few. I'm in the market for Gongoras and Stanhopeas. I am happy with Andy's Enc. brassavolae.

Out in the OC, Miltassia Luke Skywalker is opening some new flowers.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9308960

Here is a last look at C. bicolor 'Lines' AM/AOS X L. undulata. L. undulata used to be Schomburgkia undulata until smarter folks than me did away with all Schomburgkias. That is why the flower has a long spike and the twisted petals and sepals, a characteristic of Schomburgkias as I remember them. By the way, my Schomburgkis undulata (I'm a rebel) produced a 7 foot spike a couple of years ago and is now sending out three spikes, each about 18 inches long as of today. I remember watching that spike grow while thinking it would never bloom.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9308962

The first flower on Vanda Mae Sai X Vanda Kenji has flattened out. I love the color and the plant is huge.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9309604

I've purchased form Little Brook Orchids at the Baltimore Shows. They always have a nice display. I don't have any experience with their shipping but if I can get 1 from HI overnite I'd expect the same stateside.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9309643

Thanks, Jean. I was not so worried about shipping as I was about quality and size of plants.

Seems like there are so many little "mom and pop" orchid operations popping up these days, with no reputation or track record, you never know what you're going to get. I'd rather pay more and be sure of getting a good plant from a reputable grower, although probably my conscience and frugality won't let me ever pay $85 for a plant. Growing my orchids outdoors as I do it's just too risky.

That being said, a very reputable old company, Logees in CT burned me last year with two Phaius plants my kids sent me as gifts each costing $25 that were supposed to be "blooming size" and arrived in 2in. pots with plants less than 6in. high. They're still a year away from blooming size!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9309912

Has anyone been to/heard of Jaxma Orchids in Green Cove Springs, FL? I can't believe it is so close to me & I never heard of it till last week. I've not explored much to the south and now I guess I need to.
chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9309959

Elaine, you should have planned a trip down south this weekend. I'll be at RF Orchids tomorrow here in Homestead for their fall show and sale. They have many local growers that get together and there are always so many plants to choose from it's hard to just walk away with one or two. I'll be leaving the credit cards at home . . .
Chiqui

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9309973

Oh, would absolutely love to visit RF Orchids at some point! We are on tenterhooks waiting to jump on a plane for Salt Lake City. My son and daughter-in-law are nearly ready to pop our first grandchild. So we aren't going too far until we get The Call.

Can't wait to see what you come home with! Take lots of pictures.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9310015

Jean, they appear to be a large scale distributor of Phalaenopsis. Think orchid farming. Not the best source for orchids if you care about named plants. I don't know how many companies are in to this but I noticed that high volume orchid sales were big at the Miami area malls. I'm not talking local orchid society shows. These orchids are brought in from Asia as mericloned seedlings that are not necessarily the highest quality. Would you notice? Maybe not. You can probably do better in Apopka.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9310041

Jim and I have been talking on the side and making plans for a possible get together. I will be at my home in Miami and plan on stopping in Apopka on the 7th. We are usually able to get there around noon and meet Jim and other orchid friends for lunch. We then caravan/cruise a few of our favorite growers. I hit the road around four so we can get to Gainseville for an overnight before heading into Atlanta the next day. Hope some of you can make the trip. Since we have already voted, returning on the 6th would have been more convenient for us, but I am making plans so that it will not deter anyone who needs to vote on the 6th. If you can join us say "aye".

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9310126

Aye don't know but Aye will try! Given how uncomfortable our DIL is already, I'm sure she will make every effort to deliver the baby asap.

Meantime, speaking of children, here's my redheaded step-child Odbrs. mem Nikoline Lorentzen 'Marz Starz' finally producing a spike after nearly 3 years of rehab. Spathoglottis just keep on putting out blooms, too. Back when I was a complete orchid ignoramus (quite recently in fact) I thought all orchids were that color

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy         

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9310137

Too tired tonight but we must start making plans. If you want to join us, let me know.

Jim

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 20, 2012
12:04 AM

Post #9310265

Paphiopedilum Mabelle

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy         

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9310340

Jim & Laurel - count me (and possibly DH) in for this one. I'm deciding on a contractor to do the work to make the screen room into a sun porch so the "babies" will have a larger place to live in the winter. So, if I have more space I need to fill it, correct???? We are also voting early so could do the 6th.

Google Maps show taking 17S almost the whole way to Apopka - 115 mi.

This message was edited Oct 20, 2012 8:14 AM
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9310343

Elaine, Melanie (if she can make it) and I will probably ride together from Tampa. Melanie? MJ? Anyone else? I will send addresses and instructions via Dmail to all those interested.

Now I'm off to the Tampa Orchid Club Expo at the USF Botanical Gardens. Buying shoes and fire retardant socks are in place.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9310476

IF we are still in town waiting for The Call, or IF we are already back from meeting our new family member, I will just drive to Apopka and meet you all. I have a friend in mind who may want to tag along with me, too.

So when you have a schedule settled, would you d-mail me, Jim? It's going to have to be a last-minute decision for me.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9310744

I'm still waiting to hear from Melanie , MJ and perhaps others.

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9310767

We just had a very exciting encounter with a potential orchid thief. Wish I'd taken a picture, but I was too worried about resolving the problem without injury to anyone. This is a cautionary tale about using bird netting anywhere in the garden

I was out misting everybody where most of the 'chids are camping at the moment, ready for our departure. I was giving my big B. David Sander - which is mounted on a hunk of tree fern tied with bird netting - an extra good squirt when Ack! it moved!! I went to lift it up only to discover that a large black snake (Southern Black Racer, not venomous) had threaded its head through a tie end of the bird netting, but could not get more than about 6in. of its body through the mesh, as the body gets much thicker in the middle. Since they are not programmed to back up, it was caught and intent upon making off with my nice orchid attached. Needless to say, that was not a favorable result either for the snake or for me. What to do??

Every time I came near, the snake would shake its tail like a fierce rattler, and strike although with only 6in of its body available for striking it didn't get very far. Arg. My DH is very afraid of snakes, but he agreed to come and wield the scissors if I would lift up the orchid and the snake so he could reach the netting. I donned a big pair of welding gloves, and they were good defense against the poor old snake's tiny little short teeth. Luckily it only took two snips to free the snake from the orchid. Phew!!

My adventure with Mother Nature for the day. Gotta get an adrenaline fix once in a while, I guess!

This message was edited Oct 20, 2012 9:30 PM

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9310790

Snakes in orchids, yikes!!

Jim, the 7th works for me. Just let me know when everything is finalized and tell me where to be.

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9310814

Yours are probably safe inside your screened hut, Melanie. If I kept mine inside the pool cage they are fairly safe, although the snakes get in under the doors sometimes. OH, and we did have two raccoons in the pool cage around midnight last night as well. They did not take a fancy to any of my plants in there, thankfully!

But the orchids are out "in the wild" right now because that's where the automatic mister is set up to water while we are away.

The snake had upset a few of the other little ones that were nearby in pots, too. So some impromptu re-potting took place as well. First time I've had any critters disturb the orchid camp out there. Hazards of growing orchids "au naturel", I suppose.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2012 3:54 PM
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9310843

I'm back from the Tampa Orchid Club's Expo at the USF Botanical Gardens and my shoes are cooling in the pool. I love that sizzle sound when they hit the water. Melanie, I didn't see you there.

First to land in my cart was Aliceara Sunday's Best X Oda. bictoniense.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9310844

Then there was this nice Bllra. Pacific Treasures 'Everything Nice'

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9310846

Then three smaller plants: Gongora bufonia X self, Gongora escobariana, and Stanhopea connata 'Arnie' X self'.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9310848

Last but certainly not least is this huge Vanda Boonchoo X Vanda Thonglor Sand with two spikes. This may be my largest Vanda and I have some big ones.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 20, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9310851

Jim, I wasn't feeling well today so I think I'm going to go tomorrow. Have to hit the ATM first, though. Uh oh!

Melanie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9310866

Everything Nice sure is lovely!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9311200

Jim, you'll be out of space by the time we get together. lol I've got a Boonchoo cross or two and was wondering...don't you have another too? They are space hogs.

I love snakes (and spiders and toads). It was very upsetting to me when we used a roll of this netting to keep deer out of the garden and a corn snake became tangled. It was alive when I started to cut it out but died later. The very next day another snake and a turtle got caught in it. The turtle died but I was able to free the snake and it slithered off into the shed. I got rid of that netting. Learn to recognize the pointed face of a viper vs. the blunt, rounded face of a non-poisonous snakes and say thank you to your snake who might have been chasing down mice, squirrels or chipmunks, all of who love to gnaw on orchid pseudobulbs BTW, I had a similar experience with a bat. Its flew into some fly paper and I had to shave its fur off with a razor to free it. Not easy with heavy leather gloves.

Looking forward to seeing ya'll in Apopka. Where is mjsponies? She ended up having lessons last time we planned a get together.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9311242

I felt better today (I have chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia) so I decided to go to the Orchid Show at USF. I think it was nice to go on a Sunday; there were less people and I got some discounts since it was the second day! There were some really good vendors at this show; props to Jim's club for putting it all together.

Here's some of my purchases:
1. (Neo. faleata x five friendship) x mini palmer
2. Ascda. Kulwadee Frangrance #22
3. V. Memoria John Baron Metcalf (V. Fuchs Delight x Charles Goodfellow)
4. V. Goodwin Thai Sunset
5. Vasco. Pine River "Pink Pearl" (This one is more pink than in the picture)

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9311246

1. Rlc. Tainan Gold (I already own Tainan City; I must like that line.)
2. Den. Honey (I thought it was cute and for $10...)

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong         

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9311253

And now for the still blooming photos...

1. Blc. Cherry Suisse "Emily x Pot (Miya's Passion x Carolina Splendor) (I really like this one!)
2. Blc. Waianae Starburst "Volcano Queen"
3. C. Chocolate Drop "Volcano Queen" (what's with all the volcano queens?) (The white parts are flash from the camera.)
4. A bud coming through on what I call the "Mailman" orchid since my Dad got it from a customer when he was their mailman. It aborted one sheath but has two more. It's probably my fault for moving it. I'm building anticipation for when it does bloom!

Happy orchiding!
Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong   

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9311258

Love the colors in the Tainan Gold. All lovely finds.

So glad you are feeling better today. DH has fibromyalgia and I know how terrible he feels at times.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9311262

I'm thinking Melanie can drive over to my house in the morning and leave her car here. If Elaine can go with us, we will drive down to the Hillsborough County Extension Service and meet her there. That will save her a trip up to my house. The Extension Service is just east of I75 off of I4, right on her way to Apopka. If Elaine has to drive on her own, Melanie and I will head straight to Apopka from my house. I haven't heard from MJ but she will meet us there if she can go and so will Jean. We can meet early, around 10:30, at one of the orchid greenhouses for early risers and extra shopping and then have another meeting at noon for lunch at The Catfish Place. I will send out addresses and instructions as well as my cell number once we know who is going. This will be fun. Does anyone else want to join us?

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9311270

It takes us four and a half hours to get to Apopka from North Miami Beach and I have to ready and close down the house so I always miss the early shopping. What about Harriet, Jim? I was hoping she could come. Will you be going to the worm poo palace?
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9311276

Very nice finds, Melanie and I'm glad you liked the show. There were tons of Vandas there; hard not to get one. I love the Neo and the Ascda. I'm sure you will love Apopka.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9311280

I just got word from Harriet and she cannot come as she will be at a worm convention somewhere in the Carolinas. No, no, I'm not making this up; she is driving all the way to a worm convention in North Carolina. Lord have mercy.

I saw Jim Krull at the orchid show yesterday and he said he would be in Apopka on the 7th.

Jim

This message was edited Oct 21, 2012 12:22 PM

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9311296

You know, I was thinking I had seen that V. Thai Goodwin Sunset before so I looked back through my photos. I did see it earlier this year at the St. Pete Green Thumb Festival for $250 (they said it was rare)! I figure I got it for a steal at $50. Maybe it was rare because the wife of Goodwin Orchids was telling me how her husband wouldn't sell them for a long time and she was surprised he brought them to this show. I'm happy to have it!

They have worm conventions? Wow!

Orchids and catfish sound good to me! Good thing I get paid again next week, LOL!

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9311319

Beautiful orchids, Melanie. I have a Chocolate Drop. Love the rich red/brown color and the shiny, waxy flowers.

Jim, we already know nothing comes between Harriet and her lust for worms. Before Harriet, who knew there were so many kinds of worms to lust after? She sure set us straight on the value of a good case of worms! The vicious dogs that protect them made for a convincing argument. :>)

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9311358

Yes, don't forget to call Mr. Chapman before visiting his place - maybe he will put the dogs in so no more attacks? So sorry to hear Harriet has a case of worms . . . but a convention??

Melanie, you sure are collecting up a gorgeous bunch of orchids there! I love the little Neo, too. Did you get it from Palmer Orchids? The "mini palmer" might be a hint. They are near me, in Bradenton I think. I need to go there - a Neo has been on my wish list for ever!

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 21, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9311378

Awsome Vandas Melanie!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9311389

Bree, I wish you could join us for the Apopka trip!!

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9311397

Elaine, it's a convention of people with worms...lots of them. Once, when we met Jim and Harriet, we were told that we couldn't dally in the restaurant because Harriet had a case of worms in the back end. I think Jim was referring to his truck. Also, it wasn't Charlie's dog (which died shortly after biting Jim, according to Charlie) that did the worst damage. In fact, even though bitten in the leg, Jim was not noticeably deterred from shopping at all. I think Charle's dog got the proverbial raw deal there. But at that worm place they had a dog that tore up Steve's hand through the muscles. They admitted their dog was a rescue with a bite history and let the dog run loose anyway. Steve ended up on antibiotics and I butterflied his hand. I made a report to the county animal control. The people only got a written reprimand. In the meantime, they conduct elementary school tours at this worm place. When Steve got to the doctor in Atlanta the doctor said I did a good job putting him back together. Otherwise he would have needed stitches. His hand was impaired to some extent for almost a year and he still has the scar.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2012 3:30 PM

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9311407

You know, I'm pretty sure I got the Neo at Smiley Orchids.

Speaking of Chapman's Orchids, they used to be at the USF festivals but they haven't been there in a while. I look forward to seeing them; I bought my first vandas from them.

Melanie
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9311417

Is Harriett here on DG? I have a friend who is doing worms and needs some advice. She lost the contact info for the guy who sold the 1st batch to her.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 21, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9311433

Some new blooms.
Fendler's Steli. Her's a mini for you Laurel

Thumbnail by ted5310

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 21, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9311436

Lc. Netrasiri Classtar

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 21, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9311439

Cycnoches William Clarke
Cyc. herrenhusanum "Sunset Valley Orchids" x Cyc. cooperi "Dark Jam" AM/AOS

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9311453

No, Harriet has never posted here but send me a Dmail of the lady's email address and I will pass it to Harriet. I tell you, she knows her vermiculture.

Nice orchids, Ted. I love the Cycnoches.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9311464

Ted, I adore that Stelis. Is that from Andy's? My beloved Stelis ciloliata cooked in last year's over heat. Cool weather orchids are a challenge in our hot summers. That's a beautiful looking Cycnoches.
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 21, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9311468

Thanx Jim, Laurel. Yes indeed it came from Andy's. The Cycnoches is a heavy waxy flower

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9311470

Isn't it amazing the things people get obsessed with - talking about the worms again, not orchids, which are certainly a worthy obsession.

The Stelis is lovely, Ted and look at the fabulous picture you got of it! Showing all it's tiny whiskers and everything.

I am getting terribly antsy, waiting on orchids to bloom, and babies to pop here . . . I need an orchid shopping fix in the worst way! Meantime I'm sewing cutesy little baby clothes for my new granddaughter yet to be born, and looking out the window at the most gorgeous weather we've seen in months. Last night we slept with the windows open, and the a/c didn't kick on until 2pm this afternoon. Perfect.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9311604

Lots of activity today...snakes, new 'chids, dogs, chocolate, worms...by the time I get to the bottom I have lost my thoughts.

I almost bought a thimble size pot with a vanda for $7 today. After I thought about it, I put it back. As an amature, it would have died before blooming.

Appreciate all the pic. I would have to leave yesterday to get to the RU on time. Maybe one day.

Oh! talking about grandchildren. I have a 20 year old GD and a 3 month GS. Sometimes things just take a while. Hope I am still around when #3 arrives...

Oh!!! The pic when you all return!!!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 21, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9311670

Good move on the little vanda, Peg. You'd probably not kill it but it might take years to bloom. Yikes, I sure hope my kids don't wait 20 years to have their next one!

Yes, we are a group with varied interests, and we're nothing if not entertaining. I've been trying to figure how to keep the vermiculture sub-thread alive here just because it's so funny. "A convention of people with worms" - geez, they're having it on some island - like maybe Molokai, right?

No further sign of the snake or the raccoons today, I'm relieved to report. All orchids back in place, not crawling off into the shrubbery.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 21, 2012
11:37 PM

Post #9311872

Lc. Netrasiri Classtar and Cycnoches William Clarke are awsome ted.
Yeah Jim id never say no to a orchid trip but i bit far to come from Australia plus i dont have the money and time.
Whats everyone use as potting medium for there Vandas? Mine are getting to dry and i want to try large bark but cant find any large enough to not fall through there wire baskets, might have to get baskets with smaller holes but i still want to let there roots out.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9312080

I don't use any medium, Bree. I tie them in the basket for support, mist the roots daily and hose them down once a week.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9313169

Bree, the only thing I know you can do is try to raise the humidity or go semi-hydro. The vellum on Vanda roots is heavier than many other orchids so it takes more water to soak the vellum and thus water the plant. If your roots are not turning green when you water, the plant is not being adequately watered. You can contact Ray, the expert and person who came up with this method here for advice on semi-hydro here http://www.firstrays.com/ Another option is to do what some do with terete Vandas, and that is to grow it up against a totem. Tree fern totems are hard to get hold of these days but you can build a totem out of wire filled with sphagnum and wire the plant to the totem. You can anchor the totem with a piece of rebar going in to a pot filled with gravel. The wet medium close to the plant might do the trick.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 23, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9313325

Thanks Laurel and Jim i cant water every day so cant just have them hanging without medium. My nan has a few dead tree ferns that are just big trunk i could cut up. I have some smaller Vandas in Vanda pots with bark chunks and some with just old mans beard and they have heaps of new roots but there in my greenhouse which is probably more humid. Most of my big Vandas just have old roots and the plants are just staying the same not growing or dying. Im going to fix them all up.

Thumbnail by breeindy

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9313350

Well, those roots look good Bree. The problem with any medium is that the roots are prone to rot at the base, around where the medium is, and then the new growth further down is a goner. If that happens you can't save the roots. If you're bent on using a medium then I'd advise that you mount the Vanda to a long chunk of tree fern and not basket it with medium around the base of the plant.

Here's an example of Acampe papillosa, a gift from Jim in Nov. '10. It has the same cultural requirements as Vandas. When Jim gave me the orchid it was potted in a tree fern basket. All the roots in the basket were dead and the only thing holding the plant upright were twist ties on the basket hanger. It had new roots forming along the stem. I removed the Acampe from the basket, slung it with a wire hook and hung it from plastic driveway chain. It has lived on the chain with a couple of Vanda keikis ever since. Guess you could call that the "chain gang". You can see spikes forming along the stem and good root growth.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel         

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 23, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9313371

something like this or longer? I just cant picture it. Does the Vanda grow up and keep attaching to it?
This is 20cm x 10cm x 2cm.

Thumbnail by breeindy

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9313373

Watering with beer??? Never thought of that!!!!!!

How about wine corks for potting medium.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9313378

Gimme a minute. I'll post another pic.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9313387

Here are a few pics of the Acampe keiki that broke off when I untied the parent plant. I mounted it to a 12" piece of tree fern. That was two years ago. It too has lots of spikes and will bloom for the first time.

Jean, I have heard of watering with beer. People do it for some supposed nutrition. I'd rather drink mine. As for the wine corks, they would probably work well surrounded by a wire cage and with orchids mounted to them. You can cover the wire with a thin sheet of sphagnum to hide the wire. I love wine corks for a potting medium.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9313400

I took the liberty to move us to an October Part 2. Come join in when you are ready. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285610/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America