Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vines and Climbers: Will Chicken Wire Support Lonicera Sempervirens?

Communities > Forums > Vines and Climbers
bookmark
Forum: Vines and ClimbersReplies: 1, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

September 30, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9291333

Hi,

I've just planted my first 2 honeysuckle vines in front of a tall, wide cedar fence. If I put chicken wire a few inches in front of the fence for the plants to climb on, will that work? Will it be ugly or will the plants eventually cover the wire enough that you don't really see it?

(I'm trying to avoid spending money on a prettier trellis. And, because of health problems, I don't feel up to making anything with wood.)

Your feedback would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Shayna
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9291411

No, it will become too large a vine and bring the flimsy chicken wire to the ground in short order. You can buy cattle fencing, available really cheaply at Home Depot, in the concrete section of the store - they use in under concrete to keep it from moving around. this wire mesh can be shaped easily - check it out.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vines and Climbers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
air potato - Discorea bulbifera euphorbrom 7 Jun 13, 2012 7:59 PM
Mexican Flame Vine Aimee 11 Jun 25, 2013 8:28 PM
Dutchman's Pipe! golddog 15 Jan 10, 2008 6:14 AM
Speaking of Wisteria... hpluver 27 Jul 10, 2009 11:58 AM
confederate jasmine dixiechick 9 Jun 1, 2008 5:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America