Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

High Yield Gardening: New Garden Bed Idea, any thoughts?

Communities > Forums > High Yield Gardening
bookmark
Forum: High Yield GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kaylee_gee
Slocomb, AL

September 30, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9291381

Please look at my design below (I use a spreadsheet to make them, so bear with me please) and give me your thoughts. I am trying to come up with something that is easy on the plants, and on my back lol

Anything wrong with it? Anything right with it?

Thanks!!

Thumbnail by Kaylee_gee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kaylee_gee
Slocomb, AL

September 30, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9291384

And one benefit, no bunnies can get in!
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9291519

No kidding, the 4-legged creatures should not mess with your garden. Well, it'll stop rabbits...you'll have to garden in the basement in order to stop the squirrels though, lol. So it is on 2' legs, and about 9" deep? I was not able to tell what the dimensions were but maybe I missed them? (and I apologize, oops!)

As long as your design is sturdy enough to hold the soil + water + plants + fruit then you should be ok. It will drain well, correct? Can you recycle the water?

Nice!
Kaylee_gee
Slocomb, AL

October 1, 2012
12:42 AM

Post #9291673

Didnt think about that but im sure i can set it up to recycle the watr that drains out. And yes the legs are about 2 feet tall and the basin is about 1 foot deep.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9293741

How stout are the legs and the lumber in relation to the overall size of the bed? Have I missed your finished dimensions?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9293885

Alaska? Such a RAISED raised bed ought to warm up quickly once the sun hits it.

If you do re-use the water in the same bed, watch out for excessive salt building up. You might be better off letting the water drain out into a bucket of hose, and throw it onto an in-ground bed that is flushed by rain.

I try to get6 some of the "raised raised" benefit byt excavatin g a sunken wlakway aorund a riased bed. The bed rises 8-16" ab ove garde, and the walkway is sunken 6-18" below grade. I don't stoop well and can't kneel!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

February 24, 2013
6:06 AM

Post #9429633

Just a note. AL = Alabama AK = Alaska Quite different places

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America