Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Poison Ivy: Identification, Treatment, and Removal: Very Interesting Article

Communities > Forums > Article: Poison Ivy: Identification, Treatment, and Removal
bookmark
Forum: Article: Poison Ivy: Identification, Treatment, and RemovalReplies: 4, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardengirl86
Middleboro, MA

October 1, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9291771

Thank you for this interesting article. My son is allergic to poison oak and had a bad reaction to it once as a preteen. No reactions since, but I will be looking forward to your article on that. I found it informative that some foods will cause reactions if you had a reaction to poison ivy. I will be sure to pass this info on to people I know who are allergic. I am fortunate not to have ever had a reaction to it even though I have walked through it and played in a field of it as a child. My older brother was not so lucky.
My husband disposed of some poison ivy in an area that I wanted to make into a rock garden. He dug it out, bagged it, and left it in our woods until it dried up, and then disposed of it. I can't believe it worked. My sister in law salts it. It does the trick, but nothing will grow in the area for a long time after that. I did not consider it a good idea since we all have well water where we live.
Looking forward to your upcoming articles.
JennyWren102
Mason, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9292059

Plant related food sensitivities aren't uncommon. In fact, they seem to be becoming more common. For instance, many people who work in the health care industry are developing allergies to latex because of their constant exposure to it. I developed a sensitivity to latex while in the cleaning profession for the same reason. Latex sensitivity is cumulative--your system never purges what you've absorbed. It sounds like that's what Angela is describing with poison ivy, and I'm beginning to discover the same may be true with wasp stings.
My latex sensitivity isn't a true allergy--yet. I don't go into anaphylactic shock, but I get nasty contact dermatitis. As a result, there are houseplants I shouldn't be keeping around, like schefflera, because a wound on the plant will exude a latex-like sap. And then there's bananas. I love bananas, but I can't eat them any more. The fruit contains a compound very similar to the latex which I'm sensitive to. I don't need to describe the excrutiating digestive pain which alerted me to that sensitivity decades ago. But boy do I miss bananas.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9292980

I remember filling out a medical questionnaire for one of my sons, and it asked if he had a latex allergy, or if he'd ever had an allergic reaction to bananas, mangoes, pineapples, avocadoes, chestnuts, or a few other foods. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head as being likely to cause reactions in people with known latex allergies, and vice versa. I was surprised at the connection! Perhaps that would make an interesting article someday, too!

NordicFletch
Stanchfield, MN

October 1, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9293134

A possible explanation for the gut cramps and such from eating bananas: Overdose of potassium. Bananas have a lot of potassium in them...I can't eat more than three in one week, and often only half of one in one day.

As for urushiol... I think you're right about it being a "cumulative" effect with every exposure -- mostly. A lot of it depends on it depends on genetics, since some people can roll in it and never have a reaction. I "hate" those people, lol.

FlyPoison

FlyPoison
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9295924

As long as the poison ivy on my property isn't growing in area where it'll take over, I leave it. Much like Virginia Creeper, it's actually a nice plant to have in a native wooded area. In part shaded/shaded areas it climbs trees without spreading too aggressively and it's a very pretty vine. In the fall it turns yellow/orange/red and the birds love the berries. When I was young I was terribly allergic to it but as I've grown older it hardly ever bothers me and if it does, it's reaction is very mild and short lived.

If you ever brush against or are exposed to poison ivy and can't get to a place where you can wash your skin, sassafras oil is an effective natural remedy. If you can find a sassafras tree growing nearby, you can pick some leaves, crush them and rub onto the affected area to neutralize the urushoil.

You cannot post until you register and login.


Other Article: Poison Ivy: Identification, Treatment, and Removal Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Horrible Posion Ivy Experience KittyWittyKat 5 Oct 1, 2012 8:39 PM
Avocado amygirl 1 Oct 1, 2012 6:46 PM
Poison ivy violetdundas 3 Oct 11, 2014 1:56 PM
urushiol - a plant defense? lblock 3 Oct 10, 2014 9:53 AM
Poison Oak the_naturalist 1 Oct 1, 2012 7:10 PM


We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.
 

Hope for America