AuthorContent

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9291826

I thought I would make a thread for the discussion on the Penstemon thread.
We were going into what tools we use to garden with.
This is my "garden wagon" I have a kart with 2 wheels but its too wide to go down some paths.
This is a handtruck from Sears.I bought it 40 years ago,still runs good.lol.
We have an assortment of toatbags laying around so I use one slung around the handle, to carry hand trowels,garden gloves,shaker of Osmecoat etc.
The tub is Rubbermaid.It acts as a weed carrier when I'm weeding, when its not being used to transport plants and fertilizer for putting plants in the ground or transplanting.
I cant manage a one wheeled wheelbarrow ,so this is my "do everything" kart.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9295184

THAT's a good one, I am still with the one wheel ,wheelbarrow, but I love a pair of scissors for about everything!lol
That seems a good idea the tub and hand dolly. Some of the dolly trucks fold to roll on four wheels also.neat!!!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
2:26 AM

Post #9295410

I have seen them.We have a storage space problem here but they are a good idea.

Did I mention the Fiskers long handled grass shears? They are strong enough to cut thru nepetas and dead lilies.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9295551

This is my trusty garden crate. It's the perfect size for me to fill with weeds and trimmings because by the time I mound it full it still isn't too heavy or bulky to lift. The high sides make it easy to carry a bunch of small starter plants without them tipping over, but low enough not to crush the parts of the plants that are out over the edge of the pot.

Thumbnail by lanakila

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9295599

I like the thinking behind that krate.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9296278

My tools of choice...hmmm...I use Felco pruners (have three different sizes). For weeds I have 2,3,5 and 10 gallon sized pots that I can carry right into the border with me while I do weeding or deadheading. I have two different carts, one is plastic and a solid surface (plastic), and a regular wagon that has drop down side (even removeable, was a walmart special at the end of the season a few years back). I use a carpet knife ($3-4 home depot) for weedng, the inside of the blade is sharpened and great for cutting thru weed roots as it's pullled toward me. I have a pocket blade sharpener which usually goes in my back pocket, mis-placed at the moment, lol...I have two sizes of aluminumn digging tools, (they never break and are stronggggg). My favorite shovels are roundnosed wooden type (tried using the plastic handled ones but way too much movement for my choice...And most important and rarely go into the garden with out them are the plastic dipped gloves (the nubby type), they are sturdy enough to use for pulling weeds to planting to general construction around the garden...when they get worn on the tips, I replace them (about $4). Pliers, usually dipped handles. I have even got a few knives that I've reappropriated from the kitchen, long straight blade and one serrated, the staight blade can be sharpened whenever needed, plastic handles. And a few water cans, which I fill up and drag with me into the border, along with a bucket of peat moss whenever planting. My other favorite watering tools are tower sprinklers, had two different types but one got destroyed a few months ago when a deer had a run in with it, now it's a bent up mess, (DARN, was my favorite). I also have a tractor type that runs along a hose, great but can take all day to water the length of my 45ftX100ft long border, but atleast I don't have to move it every few hours and can also be used when it's windy. And the most important of all a coupleof chairs, one regular sized and another that sits high so I can sit above and look down at my border to acess what needs to be done where or just sit back and enjoy the veiw...LOL. Oh ya, and winchimes to enjoy the melodies that nature creates. My other favorite tool right now is my rototiller which I am using now to create my backyard from feild grasses to a haven of trees, shrubs and flowers. Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2012
1:40 AM

Post #9296362

What a great job. I love the combination in the last pix.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9296800

Thanks ge, most of the white is Verbascum phoenicium that I let reseed where ever it wanted and almost done with it's first round of bloom, guess it's time for editing...lol.

Pix: it does come in these colors too, 18" tall and blooms start early and if cut back will bloom two or three more times thru the season.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9297960

I walk around with a hori-hori knife, a good pair of pruners (Felco used to be my favorite, but my new favorite is a Japanese pair made by Okatsune), and a rubber garden tub for trimmings. There isn't much that I can't accomplish with that.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #9298186

I notice the Felco knife mentioned often here.
I have a Japanese Pruning saw that is used for small hardwood stuff. It cuts as I pull back,easier to keep my balance.
Smith and Hawken 20 years ago. Too bad they arent around anymore. Their products are at Target now.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America