Photo by Melody

Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions: Texas and bulbs

Communities > Forums > Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutionsReplies: 8, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9291849

I am interested in how you will adapt here in North Central Texas. Bulbs are one challenge I have just about given up. I think we are about 35-40 miles apart as the bird flies.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9292012

Chuckle, I am not supposed to change the lawn that is here at our rented house! I thought I might go see what they're selling at the Big Box stores nearby as an indication of what might grow around here. I hope I can do some containers full of bulbs. Do you have advice? I should be able to grow all kinds of things that couldn't grow in New England but which ones? Agapanthus? Freesia? Do fire ants eat bulbs?
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9292850

sorry. superfluous comments deleted.

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 5:12 PM
zeck
Arp, TX

October 2, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9293411

You are in luck! For over a dozen years the Smith County (Tyler, Texas area) Master Gardeners have held a free Fall Conference and Bulb Sale in October. This year it is on Oct. 13 in Tyler at the Harvey Hall Convention Center located at 2000 W.Front.St. starting at 9:00 am. The featured speaker is no other than Dave Whitinger, the creator of Dave's Garden and AllThingsPlants.com, who lives just south of Tyler near Jacksonville. In addition, a Smith County Master Gardener, who the ladies say is rather handsome and charming, will give a presentation on the bulbs, trees, perennials, and grasses for sale at the Bulbs and More Sale following the conference. (This is not me talking...just the ladies). Everything sold at the Bulbs and More Sale has a proven track record for thriving in our region. Dallas/Ft. Worth is a two hour or so drive from Tyler and we general have several visitors from your area every year. Hope to see you there.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9293710

My goodness! What a welcome! I don't know about that date--I think we may already be committed elsewhere for that day. :( I have met Dave, though, and he is definitely a good guy. I am not loving Big Box Stores, just saying that may be the easiest short-term solution. I have filled carts at five different companies that specialize in bulbs, but never consummated.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9293849

The Ft. Worth Botanical Garden and the Dallas Arboretum are fantastic guides. Went to the Arboretum just yesterday and am still riding high. The Dale Chihully Glass Exhibit will be there till Nov. Absolutely magic.

DallasArboretum.org

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9293862

Oh, I thought it was ending some time in Oct! I do really want to see that. Thanks for the reminder.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9293872

I think it is the first weekend in Nov. Check the website.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9293874

Will do.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ordering Spring Bulbs - my fall resolutions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Yep! the1pony 3 Aug 12, 2009 2:52 PM
Every bit my Mother! NEILMUIR1 5 Aug 13, 2009 1:24 PM
Good advice Hemophobic 10 Aug 13, 2009 12:54 AM
now if we'll only listen... DiggerDee 7 Oct 26, 2011 8:12 AM
Party Pooper dahlianut 17 Oct 26, 2011 9:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America