Photo by Melody

Article: Poison Ivy: Identification, Treatment, and Removal: Poison ivy

Communities > Forums > Article: Poison Ivy: Identification, Treatment, and Removal
bookmark
Forum: Article: Poison Ivy: Identification, Treatment, and RemovalReplies: 3, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
violetdundas
Austin, TX

October 1, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9291918

One thing to remember is that poison ivy is an edge plant. It likes filtered sun--this means you won't find it out in the open. Always examine the edge, the margin, of any area. This is good advice my grandfather gave me when we visited his place in Northern Michigan over 40 years ago.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9292961

That is mostly true, but I have found it out in the open in fields on occasion. I wouldn't rule it out entirely in open spaces!
NordicFletch
Stanchfield, MN

October 1, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9293126

It is NOT just an "edge" plant, as it is growing abundantly both in the open and in heavy shade where I live. The colonies are much larger in the open, while the plants and leaves are larger in the shaded areas. But it seems that it thrives better in well-drained dry soil than it does in moist (damp) forest...
joylederman
Dover, PA

October 11, 2014
1:56 PM

Post #9956941

I also used to think it was "only an edge plant". That was before I got my truck stuck in a distant portion of my newly acquired 8 acres. When I got out of the vehicle, in the middle of a sunny pasture, I realized that I was standing in the midst of waist-high poison ivy shrubs. I got the impression this was sort of a "wet-in-the-springtime" damp part of the property, but I haven't returned to that spot to investigate further!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Poison Ivy: Identification, Treatment, and Removal Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Horrible Posion Ivy Experience KittyWittyKat 5 Oct 1, 2012 8:39 PM
Avocado amygirl 1 Oct 1, 2012 6:46 PM
Very Interesting Article gardengirl86 4 Oct 4, 2012 1:58 PM
urushiol - a plant defense? lblock 3 Oct 10, 2014 9:53 AM
Poison Oak the_naturalist 1 Oct 1, 2012 7:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America